Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairable Dripping Atomiser (RDA)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Bubba9 wrote: »
    Am using white ones...what terrible illness will befall me from using bleached cotton?

I don't think any at all. Nothing's ever been mentioned apart from the initial taste, not even an irritated throat.

Some have said boiling gets rid of the last of the crap, but the pads are already boiled out after being bleached in processing. What are the chances that one more boil from the end-user is the one that gets all the minute traces of bleach out?

Murp.

I dunno. The same people that don't like the idea of minute traces of bleach use silica, which is even more hotly debated because of it's flakiness.
    "What're we breathing in?!?" etc etc.
    I started vaping to stop feeling as bad health-wise as I felt smoking, that is happening in spades and I'm not aiming to reach 100 years or anything, so the health nazi side of vaping doesn't appeal to me. If the most obvious safe option becomes available I'll go for it, but there seems to be a scare about everything nowadays, even mesh (which was seen as THE saviour when it came out safety-wise).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://i.imgur.com/UucvuVR.jpg best pic I could get of the rda with my phone

i dont notice the drawer being much stiffer...maybe a little or maybe that's just in my head because you've mentioned it. it's noticeably stiff compared to the bulli but then everything is.

no complaints anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Holy **** - you must have about 30 drops in there?? Leak central....

nah, only 20 but it's cigarillos.. that ****'s thick as hell

Yeah it is alright. Got a bit of a taste for it myself now too.

• Advertisement

yeah im back appreciating it again after a long time being kinda sick of it
    only have 12mg though so missing that throathit, which kinda ruins the experience
    will have to pick some 18mg up next month

it's amazing how quickly the rda eats juice, it's a monster. almost as bad as a genesis

made a coil yesterday on the bulli and today on the rda,both times I didn't bother using a needle as a splint

honest to god, two of the best tasting coils i've ever made
    they must be sitting just right on the wick but the flavour is just unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

made a coil yesterday on the bulli and today on the rda,both times I didn't bother using a needle as a splint

honest to god, two of the best tasting coils i've ever made
    they must be sitting just right on the wick but the flavour is just unreal.

What type of wick do you use and were do you get it from?

I use silica wick from the best shop, which I'm sure is good and all but most time I make a wick for my IGO-L and try it, it tastes like something (silica maybe?).

Even my girlfriend smelt the vapour (she doesn't smoke or vape) from my carto tank which she thought smelt nice and then the vapour from the IGO-L (same juice) and she said it smelt not good. It tastes like it smells.

The odd time I do make a coil and it make taste ok, or good even, for a second then.. oh there it tastes crap again. Most of the time a carto tank tastes much better. So I haven't used my Igo-L for longer than a minute ever.

It's either the wick or the way I'm building it.

I've tried making a wick and just dry burning it to watch the coil and whenever I do that it always seems to glow brighter and quicker in the middle. The outside coils esp the bits that connect to the legs take a lot longer to get red.

was thinking of trying some of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Braided-Cotton-Candle-Wick-Candles/dp/B006QIXF5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363699754&sr=8-1

The last few times I was following an instructional video I found. I use a 2mm wick and loop it, then pull one of the ends of the wick up to the end of the loop, so it's kinda like two loops on top of each other, or one and a half loops. Three peices of 2mm on top of each other. I usually use a pin but the last few times I wasn't, just free hand wrapping.

I guess I should just practice more but I'm surprised how much I'm failing :)

It's either me or the wick... right? :)

StickyIcky wrote: »
    I've tried making a wick and just dry burning it to watch the coil and whenever I do that it always seems to glow brighter and quicker in the middle. The outside coils esp the bits that connect to the legs take a lot longer to get red.

was thinking of trying some of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Braided-Cotton-Candle-Wick-Candles/dp/B006QIXF5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363699754&sr=8-1

Are you flaming up the wick before coiling it? There could be machine gunk/oils from production still on it. FLAME ON!

Are the coils all touching off the wick? When you have liquid on the wick, fire it with the atty's top off - do any coils glow? They shouldn't.
    The centre heating up first is good, but how long does it take for the rest to light up? How high is your resistance?

Cotton candle wick: you have to leave the wick saturate in juice for about half a day before it wicks properly unless you pick it apart with a needle and fluff it up or reduce it to threads and use that way.

grindle wrote: »
    Are you flaming up the wick before coiling it? There could be machine gunk/oils from production still on it. FLAME ON!

Are the coils all touching off the wick? When you have liquid on the wick, fire it with the atty's top off - do any coils glow? They shouldn't.
    The centre heating up first is good, but how long does it take for the rest to light up? How high is your resistance?

Cotton candle wick: you have to leave the wick saturate in juice for about half a day before it wicks properly unless you pick it apart with a needle and fluff it up or reduce it to threads and use that way.

I think I'll make a very short video of my wick so you can see.

The other night I tried firing the coil to watch how it would glow. Also to see how the silica would react to being heated with about 4 or 5 watts (can't remember how much exactly) and some of the silica wick actually went on fire :) The part that was a bit frayed on the end.

Are you saying 'flame' as in... fire up the coil so it's red hot when the wick is dry first? I'm guessing that's what you mean but I'm guessing you don't mean, make the wick actually flame like go on fire.

Anyway, will practice some more and make a video and post it up here for you too see what exactly I'm doing.

• Advertisement

Are you saying 'flame' as in... fire up the coil so it's red hot when the wick is dry first? I'm guessing that's what you mean but I'm guessing you don't mean, make the wick actually flame like go on fire.

I mean light the silica up with a lighter. It won't go on fire unless it's got juice on it, it'll glow white and be cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

I'm the same, been using coil and wicks for most of the last week, made a balls of the first one(coil too tight) but think I'm coiling it correctly now, done a few just for practice, they seem to be heating and wicking fine but tbh I cant see what all the fuss is about, I've only used the a7, maybe other devices are better, I dunno. Back to using cartos for me.

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Back to using cartos for me.

BOOOO! HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

@Mr. Chrome
    TBH it took me a while to cop what I was doing wrong in the beginning. Clean your hands and I mean surgically clean, the oils from your sweaty hands has a flavor an it's not nice.
    Takes a while to burn off too giving the first day or so a bitter tang.
    Now I wash and dry before touching a wick or wire.
    Oh and I'v found the A7 the closest to a carto using the Oid thing, it's the draw I think. Have you a way to test what ohms the coil is? I use a mod that can display the ohms and try to hit 2ohms but I'm easy, if it's 2.2 or 1.8 I take it, not going to try tightening it for a lousy .2, not worth the trouble.

I just dont know. I can see the attraction to rebuildables, customized, personalized coils, better flavour, job satisfaction, free- once you buy silica or ss mesh, wire(every size and shape), a rebuildable device, counselling, hair loss treatment, etc., etc. Ok, I made up the last two, but you get my drift.
    I've worked out that if I get 4 days out of a carto it costs me 32c a day, not exactly gonna break the bank and way less than the price of one fag!
    As for the flavour, yes I do get the carto filler taste, but I only got it after using the a7 for a while, and tbh Im kinda used to it. Its kinda like the taste you would get from a filter in a fag. I also got a silica taste when using the a7, so swings and roundabouts!
    Maybe Im missing something, but when you have a good carto set up in a tank....ya couldnt beat it with a stick!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Wait till you try Genesis-isis (or whatever the plural of genesis is), then you'll realize that hair restorer would be useful.
    I've pulled out handfuls.

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Maybe Im missing something, but when you have a good carto set up in a tank....ya couldnt beat it with a stick!!!!

Killer 705 in a tank. Beaten with a stick. A few times. But yeah, cartos are realllly eassssy. I'm jealous of that.
    tommy2bad wrote: »
    Wait till you try Genesis-isis (or whatever the plural of genesis is)
    GENESES

tommy2bad wrote: »
    @Mr. Chrome
    TBH it took me a while to cop what I was doing wrong in the beginning. Clean your hands and I mean surgically clean, the oils from your sweaty hands has a flavor an it's not nice.
    Takes a while to burn off too giving the first day or so a bitter tang.
    Now I wash and dry before touching a wick or wire.
    Oh and I'v found the A7 the closest to a carto using the Oid thing, it's the draw I think. Have you a way to test what ohms the coil is? I use a mod that can display the ohms and try to hit 2ohms but I'm easy, if it's 2.2 or 1.8 I take it, not going to try tightening it for a lousy .2, not worth the trouble.

Only jokin ;-)
    Might be a bit of sweat on my fingers but nothing major, presumed it would burn off pretty quick.
    Im using a lavatube for testing, got a vamo and tank with me at all times while making and testing coils(for the stress;-) )Im getting 1.7-1.8 ohms. Once Im happy with the coil, I stick the a7 on a 1000 mah ego c.
    A 'bitter tang", actually I was getting that, it was like an appley acidy type of taste, but I thought it was kind of a metallic taste so I presumed it was something to do with the coil. I'll give my hands a good scrubin tomorow and try again!

I got that tangy taste from the A7 oid originally too. I boiled everything up, wool and all, and made a fresh coil and that sorted it.

As to the wick, I use 2mm from TBS and its good. Dry burns back to white. I use wick from Xandrey on UKV as well and that's good too. Based in Dublin, cheap and good quality with next day delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

I got that tangy taste from the A7 oid originally too. I boiled everything up, wool and all, and made a fresh coil and that sorted it.

As to the wick, I use 2mm from TBS and its good. Dry burns back to white. I use wick from Xandrey on UKV as well and that's good too. Based in Dublin, cheap and good quality with next day delivery.

Saw based in dublin so googled the word Xandrey and pulled up this page
    http://www.google.ie/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=ukvapers+discount+c&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ACAW_enIE336IE336&q=xandrey&gs_l=hp..3.41l95.0.0.0.35743...........0.JK9-UT0k_cs

Sixth one down the page it shows Xandrey-UK Vapours and says "A description for this result is not available because of this site's robots.txtlearn more." so clicks on learn more and next minute i have Nortons showing a red label banner saying AUTO PROTECT IS PROCESSING SECURITY RISK ....TROJAN.MALJAVA ....luckily it then came up that the threat had been removed :eek:

• Advertisement

Cheers :)

Damon, Grindle, why are you talking about this wick? Is it better than the stuff TBS sells? Guys in TBS told me they'd tried all sorts of wicks and they ended up stocking the best one they could find.

Damon, Grindle, why are you talking about this wick? Is it better than the stuff TBS sells? Guys in TBS told me they'd tried all sorts of wicks and they ended up stocking the best one they could find.

Grindles the master i,m just curious and eager to learn only starting off .....

He was supplying wick a long time ago before the local vendors got it. His quality was always very close to the Bulli wick. If you saw some of the stuff that some others were selling at that time you'd be horrified!

I use TBS and Andrei's and they are both very good.

I was just guiding him to what he mentioned, if GH says the TBS stuff is good, it's good. I don't do silica (tastes odd to me) so I'm almost totally knowledgeless apart from knowing that the stuff that comes with a clockworks RDA is terrible..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

What type of wire are you getting a bad taste with?

I started out using .20 Nichrome making coils, about 1.7-2.0ohm and thought they were fine. The I tried some .16 Kanthal making coils about 2.4-3.0ohm, which were fine too. I kinda preferred the nichrome a little bit, but the wire I had was too low res, so I usually just went for the kanthal.

But a few days ago I made a coil with the nichrome again and it tasted horrible, I tried to stick with it to see if it would break-in a little and taste better but it just got worse and worse. Not sure what happened, the flavour was just wrong. So I went straight back to a kanthal coil and everything's great with that.

grindle wrote: »
    I was just guiding him to what he mentioned, if GH says the TBS stuff is good, it's good. I don't do silica (tastes odd to me) so I'm almost totally knowledgeless apart from knowing that the stuff that comes with a clockworks RDA is terrible..

Yeah, it is terrible stuff. I don't know how they're getting away with that stuff. It's truly unbelievable.

I'd imagine the stuff from any reputable store is probably good quality at this stage? They'd be ripped out of it on forums if not.

I've only ever used Andrei, Bulli and TBS. I'm sure there are many other options too. Digby probably has feedback on others.

nope, only really used xandrey and bulli's

always tempted to try tbs's but never saw any reason to when xandrey was selling and I knew what i was getting from him

• Advertisement

Yeah, I just got some 2mm to try it. I normally use Andrei as well. Bulli is very good too but kind of more delicate or something and apart from that it costs about €764699545.56 per metre by the time postage is paid....

Advertisement