Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyberpunk - CD Project Red

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭xtal191

OSI wrote: »
    Tried to read Polygons review but couldn’t get past the “my pronouns don’t match my identity” nonsense.

Not the only ones

https://twitter.com/JessConditt/status/1335997658813480960

• Registered Users Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tried to read Polygons review but couldn’t get past the “my pronouns don’t match my identity” nonsense.

Kotaku too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Could've done with it with another few months of polish by the sounds of things. Unsure of whether to buy it now or wait.
    xtal191 wrote: »

I mean, whatever about customisation, they could've thrown more options in but the game is set in a sleazy, unsavoury city. Were they expecting a utopia where LGBTQ issues were handled with the utmost tolerance and respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Only taking 25hrs to finish is a surprise. Was expecting longer.

cnocbui wrote: »
    You would love any of the battlefield games. Your boots are welded to rails at all times and there's plenty of excitement incoming.

Hate them tbh. Haven't played in many years. I'm not referring to constantly being in shoot outs. More that the environment but is huge but not exactly dynamic. Eg I'm happy out going around a sprawling world like Red Dead Redemption. Eg Ubisoft games tend to have the issue. The Mafia games similarly although I actually loved the missions but driving around it, not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The criticisms regarding pronouns seem fair enough in the context, although any outfit using that as a stick to beat the entire game is OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

You should have stuck with the review, it's a good review overall..

Only taking 25hrs to finish is a surprise. Was expecting longer.

Ign review was saying that whilst you can do it in that, doing more side quests also opens up alternative endings

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Sounds like a kind of mixed success, really high budget eurojank if the term applies. I did like this bit from eurogamer

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-07-cyberpunk-2077-review-impressions

"If I were to sum up Cyberpunk 2077 quickly - and I'm not suggesting that's a very good idea - I'd say it is quite a bit smaller than you'd think. That sounds like a criticism, but it isn't. For all of Cyberpunk 2077's vastness - in the sheer height and width and length of it, in the sprawling, monolithic Night City, and in the noise it's made, the attention it's demanded ahead of launch - it is often quite surprisingly focused."

Shorter campaign than the Witcher with less superfluous Ubisoft style shenanigans, it sounds pretty good.

I think I might limit the fps to 45 or something on my 3070, I find with gsync that it looks just about fine like that. Would be nice to just turn all the settings way up

As to the pronoun stuff, tying that to the voice option was a pretty bad mistep. Personally it's not going to get in my way of enjoying the game though but I think it's easy to laugh at people who feel trivialised by seemingly minor decisions like that. Nor does it seem like it would have been insurmountable to separate the two options.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

titan18 wrote: »
    Lots of bugs apparently

The previous 3 week delay kinda does show that they absolutely had to ship it before the end of 2020 but it sounds like they will have to be patching it constantly instead of delaying it for 6 months and releasing it in a finished state.
    Amazing it's so buggy after being delayed from April and the PC build (which is what is only being reviewed from what I can see) is very buggy. I expected that on consoles but not PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,226 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

J. Marston wrote: »
    Could've done with it with another few months of polish by the sounds of things. Unsure of whether to buy it now or wait.

I'll be waiting at least a week to see how things go. I refuse to pre-order or buy the game on release day because of their silly restrictions on reviews and streaming. Feels like they are trying to hide something pre-release.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Oat23 wrote: »
    I'll be waiting at least a week to see how things go. I refuse to pre-order or buy the game on release day because of their silly restrictions on reviews and streaming. Feels like they are trying to hide something pre-release.

I won't be buying it until I find out it's actually decent and runs well on PC.

I'll be holding off for the full next-gen patch, whenever that is. Not too pushed, I have enough of a backlog.

As to the pronoun stuff, tying that to the voice option was a pretty bad mistep. Personally it's not going to get in my way of enjoying the game though but I think it's easy to laugh at people who feel trivialised by seemingly minor decisions like that. Nor does it seem like it would have been insurmountable to separate the two options.

Tbf, a lot of those people also complained about The Witcher 3 being too white. You'll never to be able to completely please them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Arekkz saying less than a handful of gunfights in the first 6-10 hours :eek:
    He says its an rpg first second and third and a shooter fourth.
    Looks to be an incredible game if you like talking to npcs and dialogue etc, personally i cant be bothered with that type of game anymore.
    I stopped playing so many games for this reason, i suspect if i buy this it will be the same thing.
    If i want a story ill watch a movie or read a book :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Sounds good. Not a huge investment time wise to complete the main story then you can go back do the side quests and alternate endings.

Think they should have spent 6 months more polishing it and release next gen version at the same time. People are confused when to actually play this game. Wait for bugs to be fixed and/ or wait for next gen version.

Couldn't read the kokatu review. Sounds like the reviewer expects a huge game like this to cover every gender option equally as well as get the thing released on time. People probably killing themselves over years to get this incredibly complicated piece of engineering and art out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Dcully wrote: »
    Looks to be an incredible game if you like talking to npcs and dialogue etc, personally i cant be bothered with that type of game anymore.
    I stopped playing so many games for this reason, i suspect if i buy this it will be the same thing.
    If i want a story ill watch a movie or read a book :)

Going by what CDPR said you can avoid a lot of fights, so I guess it's how you play it. But it probably is a rpg first as that's what it's always meant to have been.

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    Sounds good. Not a huge investment time wise to complete the main story then you can go back do the side quests and alternate endings.

Think they should have spent 6 months more polishing it and release next gen version at the same time. People are confused when to actually play this game. Wait for bugs to be fixed and/ or wait for next gen version.

To me, I kind of got the sense that it's worth doing the side quests before finishing all the main quest. Seem to miss stuff if you don't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Dcully wrote: »

Exactly what I hoped it would be

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good 20-hour review in Ars Technica, combat sounds pretty terrible (albeit made up for elsewhere).

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/12/a-week-spent-in-cyberpunk-2077s-beautiful-messy-urban-future/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'll be holding off for the full next-gen patch, whenever that is. Not too pushed, I have enough of a backlog.

Me too. I'm also waiting for bug fixes in Watch Dogs Legion before I play that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

titan18 wrote: »
    To me, I kind of got the sense that it's worth doing the side quests before finishing all the main quest. Seem to miss stuff if you don't

Yep, I agree it's always best to do the side missions as they come available as some of games funny moments or quests are in side missions.

I'd like to say I could wait a month or so and bugs get patched out, and in a normal year I probably could. In 2020, what else am I doing though so will still end up getting this

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The combat in The Witcher 3 was absolutely dreadful so hearing that you can bypass the allegedly wonky combat here and that it's more focused on NPCs and story is a win.
    As predicted, the game is buggy and I believe the reviewers are downplaying just how much it impacts the experience.
    This game is going to run like ass on day 1, mark my words.

Agree totally about the witcher 3 combat so its suppose no surprise with cyberpunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

I remember Witcher 3 been plagued with bugs and glitches months after its launch release. Even today you could still run into a handful of issues with the game so I am not overly surprised Cyberpunk has been hit with the same issues.

I was worried before hand CD Projekt was going down this same PR Speaking promises of the game we have all seen and heard before , how it was going to be Genre defining , Super ambitious never before experience videogame where every choice matters and our choices would change the game drastically .

The moment CD Projekt kept delaying the game I knew they were going to be in trouble . They promised too much and with the delays becoming more frequent , they were never going to measure up to fans expectations .

while currently as writing this the game as a 91 score on metacritic ?? That is still a very good score , but does not mean anything when the majority of review sites I have never heard or seen before .

I am getting a slight deja vu again with the overabundance of perfect scores yet when you read the reviews the game seems to have alot of problems .

in the end I am still willing to try this for myself before I give such a harsh post about a game I know nothing about . I might be blessed that I had no high expectations for this game , but I feel for others , this might be a huge disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

after waiting 5+ years what's another 7 days at this point LOL ill wait untill real impressions come in from casual gamers and youtubers

The patch thing to me seems like a scapegoat to get out of the fact this game has major bug issues how many other games get crucified in reviews for being a buggy mess but here “oh it’s ok it will be patched “

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I wouldn't bother with reading the Kotaku review. They've spent the first third of the review fixated on the transgender and non binary gender options on the game (as the reviewer is transgender.)

Edit. It seems to be at least half of the review, the author feels the need to point out that they are a trans person. Broken fùcking record.

I honestly don't remember The Witcher 3 having that many bugs at release. I bought it day 1 and finished in just over a week and bar one game breaking bug in Skellige I didn't encounter anything major.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm still enjoying Assassin's Creed Valhalla and have plenty of other games to get through. Sounds like this one is coming in really hot and could possibly benefit from a few months of patches.

• Advertisement
Advertisement