Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

I have been playing the first one on the steam deck and it's been a nice experience. It works perfectly despite a unplayable tag which is just due to a pop up when you first launch the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Trails in the Sky trilogy are on PC and PSP. There are also Evolution versions of these games for the PS Vita that can be patched with English text, if you have a 'suitable' Vita.

Crossbell games (Trails from Zero and Trails to Azure) are on PC, Playstation and Switch (with PC and Switch being the best, most optimised versions).

Cold Steel 1 to 4 are on PC and Playstation

Cold Steel 1 and 2 are on PS Vita

Cold Steel 3 and 4 are also on Switch

Trails into Reverie is on PC, Playstation and Switch

Trails Through Daybreak will be on PC, Playstation and Switch.

Therefore if you have a PS Vita and a Nintendo Switch or a Steamdeck (or similar), you can play all of the games portably which helps massively given the runtimes of some of the later games. Nearly all of the games up to Cold Steel 3 are 40-50 hours each. The runtime from CSIII onwards is c.100 hours per game. So I was wrong, perhaps 600 hours to finish all of them up to Reverie!!!

And worth every damn minute!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Trails in the sky 2 as well is loooooong. Think it was well over 100 hours for me with the speed up used a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just checked and I have the first one on steam.....but I also have FF7 rebirth on pre-order :( I don't think I want to start and stop this sort of thing.

But on the bright side, it sounds like this series will keep me occupied till the third part of the ff7 remake project happens :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ohh definitely wait till after rebirth, I'm hoping to have Reverie finished by then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep definitely don't play anything in between the trails games. You drop everything for them.

I'd also recommend dropping rebirth, I already know trails is better.

Can't do it :D Too much nostalgia nested in it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Huzzah! The long-awaited confirmation of a Ys X western release:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Playing through FFXVI, about 20 hours in, and this might be my favourite Final Fantasy? Everything in it is clicking with me, the characters, the voice acting, the setting, the story, it's all great. The only thing that's not really doing it for me is the battle system, such as it is, but everything else is more than making up for it.

Don't think I've enjoyed a game in the series as much since I played FFIX on the PSone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I haven't finished it yet but I loved it as well, the boss fights and the music are epic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I thought FFXVI became a real chore to play through. The level and world design is just too repetitive and slow. The combat I liked but it also is fairly one note in many respects. The summon fights are cool but few and far between - a lot of turgid story stuff and inane tasks to get through in between the good stuff. Also a rare game where the performance profile really chipped away at my enjoyment of the game over time - the 30fps mode gave me a headache, and the performance mode was an improvement but so inconsistent as to be a constant little annoyance.

I got 30-40 hours in and it felt like double that, whereas I’ve already put more time than that into Infinite Wealth and barely felt it. Unsuccessfully tried to get through before Baldur’s Gate 3 came out but at this stage not sure if I’ll get back to it.

To be fair, the combat improves as you continue through the game. more options with the eikon powers makes it more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The fun complications that come up when translating. Wtf would you use r for a line break in your code instead of the standard \n

Also a fun bit of news Alicesoft are releasing a remastered version of Yoru ga Kuru from which Atlus copied most of the modern Persona game cycle from for Persona 3.

No r sounds in Japanese I'm guessing. Still a really dumb way to do it. A special character would have made more sense.

I agree that that's why it was used, obviously the developers never expected it to be translated. Just a really dumb way of doing it.

What makes it even more stupid is that I'm pretty sure the game in question is Rance X, which Andrew Hodgson is currently translating.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They should try and translate it without using the letter r. It would be interesting to see how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Finally got round to finishing up Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Amazing game, definitely my favourite of the 3 Ive played. Only one I havent finished is X so will give that a go at some stage. Great cast of characters in 3 and all really well voice acted. Superb battle system and some really great world building.

X is fantastic but it's very light on story, more about exploring and engaging in the battle system. No connection to the other games either. It's a shame it's stuck on WiiU because it's so damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

I managed to get X emulated on Steam Deck so gonna lash into it on that once I've had a wee break from big open worlds. Played a few hours of it and it's definitely different from the other Xenoblade games but looks really good. Surprised Nintendo haven't cashed on on a port to Switch yet, would be a good contender for a Switch 2 enhanced port maybe

Monolith have said it's so tailored to the WiiU hardware that a port would be very difficult.

• Advertisement

X is one game I really want to play, hope they make a next gen port of it or something. Coming to the end of Reverie, what a fantastic game, It's definitely a more linear experience compared to the other games, which isn't a bad thing, I have a about 60hrs put into it. Another game I'm playing on and off is Granblue fantasy relink, coming to the end of that as well, an absolute joy to play it, the battle is fantastic and it too is a very linear experience, I hope to have both done by Thursday so I can concentrate on Rebirth then for the weekend.

Looks like after all the moaning even when it was heavily hinted at in the game, it looks like P3 reloaded is getting the Answer expansion added. Let's hope it's not a complete chore like the original.

This is some good trolling, but I have to agree of the 3 PS1 FF games VIII is the weakest.

All I know is that Final Fantasy Tactics is the best on PS1.

Out of the three numbered ones I think there's a good argument for each one of them that they are the best. FFVII of you like you mellow drama and just how weird the whole thing is. FFIX feels the most polished and is a lot of fun if a bit safe but has great nostalgic call backs to the rest of the series. And while FFVIII has a really poor story it has far and away the most interesting rpg mechanics. Theres loads of secrets and the junction system is just so much fun to play with. And then there's triple triad which is so good it could be a game in and of itself.

In comparison FFVII is the esper system from FFVI but less interesting where you are levelling up materia rather than characters and FFIX is FFIV again with character specific jobs and learning abilities from weapons which isn't that interesting.

the magazine spines is the sort of epic easter egg we just don't see anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I picked up a copy of Chrono Cross on switch today, which I think I'll play once I'm done beating Dragon Quest XI.

they are making the series longer?! I need to retire asap to clear this backlog

• Advertisement

Doesn't look like it's stopping either. Im all the way back at trails to Azure so a long way to go!

Advertisement