Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

These over hyped indie jrpg disappointments are kind of putting me off trying Sea of Stars which I'm hearing good things about.

I just people are just accepting of any old **** when it comes to jrpgs. Only way to explaing thrash like ni no Kuni and flawed titles like I am Setsuna or the first Octopath getting so much word of mouth and plaudits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

See Dragon Quest Monsters: Dark Prince has just released to great reviews and next-to-zero fanfare. This has all the hallmarks of something that's going to cost you a fortune to pick up in 5 years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yep standard modern square Enix practice. Release an amazing title and that's far better than your big budget output. Spend nothing on marketing and have the videogame publications completely ignore it. Complain it under performed.

The DQ Monsters games have always been fantastic but this one is meant to be a step above that again. Seen it described as pretty much a brand new mainline DQ game in terms of its quality.

Good Vibes Gaming were particularly effusive about it and reminded me of its existence, despite my having it wishlisted since its announcement. DQM: Dark Prince looks like Squeenix took some cues from what Game Freak did with Legends Arceus and decided to school Pokemon one more time on what it means to be a monster-collector JRPG.

I've a fan translation of the DQM 1 remake loaded on my 3DS I was about to get around to, but think I'll just go with the new one, if for nothing else than to save myself a fortune down the road.

Anyone played through Tales of Arise? I got it on sale, decent game so far - lovely graphics but find the dialogue to be a bit cheesey and the combat to be a bit meh.

• Advertisement

Was actually just hmming and hawing on starting it as it's in my backlog a while, but might hold off if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm glad I ordered Dragon Quest Monsters, I haven't played a DQN game since DQM Joker 2, which I really enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I've played through it when it came out. Dialogue is def cheesy but most of the tales games are like that. I like these games once in a while for something bright and colourful, especially if I've been playing dark and grimey games for a while. The combat is fun if you keep changing up the characters but it's not incredibly complex, if you grind, you'll overpower stuff eventually.

That said, I enjoyed it when I played it, got the platinum and all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

We will be two behind once Kuro 1 is released in July.

• Advertisement

I’m getting through it a decent bit now, skipping some of the dialogue and it’s gotten a bit better. Won’t spoiler anything but some of the events have gone way darker than I expected.

even on the steam deck the graphics are very good, the combat is decent as well being able to swap around the characters to control is nice so is the auto battle.

going to finish the main story at least, not sure about side content yet.

Pretty interesting thread about a very famous in Japan but obscure outside Japan movie that looks to be a massive influence on lots of videogames, especially ff7. Some of the shots nearly look like they were ripped out of the midgar sections of ff7.

Right so I finished Tales of Arise and played it solely on the steam deck.

Got it on sale for 20 quid and have to say it was well worth it, I wouldn’t pay the normal price on steam for it, nor would I fork out for the DLC.

combat is very good, the AI though are a bit crap and can’t dodge and I find the tactics to be a bit bland, however you can control multiple characters which is good fun and you can swap it up.

the story is decent but a bit predictable, the graphics are very good also.

Dialogue way to cheesey I found myself skipping the cutscenes as they go on far too long. This brings me to my next point and similar to what I found with Chained Echoes is that from the 50% - 90% the game drags on and on forcing you to double back and go through areas that are just there to time sink and then the last 10% flys through in an instant which feels a bit rushed.

theres loads of dungeons to explore, some of them are just endless hallways with not enough rest points though so stock up before you go in to them. Money is also hard to come by unless you really grind for it which I didn’t.

the skill tree is quite good and you’ve loads of options.

last point, maybe someone else can shed some light on this but some of the bosses in the early to mid game are way to hard as your relying on the AI to dodge certain attacks etc and they don’t. It forces you for a certain portion of the game to use a certain character to basically cheese the fights unless you get lucky with the AI - that’s a system I really don’t like but I suppose the rest of the game makes up for it.

All in all worth 20 quid definitely, not 40 though. Glad I stuck at it as had reservations about the dialogue very early in. Would definitely recommend to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Anyone picking up the Persona 3 remake next week?

If you're getting it physically it looks like it can only be gotten here from Amazon or surprisingly Very.

Amazon also have the CE for anyone into those.

I'll wait for reviews. I've still got P5 and soul hackers 2 to play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It seems like a fairly straightforward updating that sounds like it’ll be the way to play for newcomers but pretty inessential otherwise. Especially since they’ve dumped all the extra stuff added over previous iterations (female main character could well show up as DLC or maybe even a re-release, knowing Atlus).

TBH I’m just done with the Persona series until they release a new mainline entry. So many re-releases, remakes and spin-offs have really made me lose interest in the series beyond the core entries.

Also: nearly 200 quid for a crappy collector’s edition? Atlus has never seen a fan they won’t try to extract as much money from as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Yeah persona games are simply to long to bother with remakes/updates of ones I've already played. I wouldn't mind going back to trying strikers again since in many ways its just a full on sequel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm currently playing trails of cold steel 4, the format is largely the same as 2 in that your travel around in an airship, I'm about 80 hrs in on ch3 but still have a good bit to go I'd say, I wish I'd played them in order, I think you would get so much more out of the series , as characters from previous games are showing up in this one. I will play reverie next I think to be ready for the new one releasing in the summer.

Which order did you play them in and what have you not played? I've played them all (and some more than once) and broadly in order after I found out about the series: ToCS 1 & 2, Trails in the Sky 1-3, both Crossbell games, ToCS 3 & 4 and finally Reverie.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I started with trails in the sky but never finished it, got past ch1 I think and then played trails of cold steel up as far as 3, then played the first crossbell game, got to ch3 and put it down and now I'm playing cold steel 4, so as you can see very very out of order and all over the place 🤣🤣.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone tell me is Dragon Quest Monsters The Dark Prince worth buying for Switch. I currently have Trinity Trigger, Ys IX and Beaten Kaitos Remastered all still sealed and yet to play from Christmas purchases.

I haven't played DQ M but I have played Ys IX and Trinity trigger, I didn't like Trinity Trigger, I loved Ys IX , not as good as Dana but still very good imo. DQ M got rave reviews though and everyone seems to love it.

Well finished this after 110hrs, great game, nice way to finish the series but cringey in parts

the way all the women are in love with Rean 🤣🤣

Was gonna not play Trails into Reverie yet as I thought I was gonna be burnt out by trails IV but complete opposite, I wanted more, so I'm about 11hrs into it and I'm loving it, loving the different paths you can choose to play and this different way they've gone about it.

Heard so much about trails games, I really think I'm gonna have to start hitting these up

If you start with the first one, just know that it will take around 500 or so to get to the end!!!

In saying that, it is my favourite game franchise of all time.

Don't make the same mistake I did and start jumping around the different games, start with trails in the sky and work your way up, I think you will get so much more out of it that way as a series.

Just a warning that these games are quite long, wordy and are very slow burns. Best to not play anything else when you start one.

On the other hand they are really well written and the pay off when you get into them is immense. They've some of the best characters in videogames with Estelle just just an all time best videogame protagonist.

For the older games I'd make judicious use of the speed up feature they added, it speeds up a lot of the games slower bits as well as the dungeons which are a bit weak in the series.

Which platform would be best for these at this point?

• Advertisement

PC seems to be the only platform with them all. PC has all the modern features like the fast forward and it's the only place to play the original trilogy that's not the older PSP versions. It's also the only place to play 'the Third l' which people say is just an epilogue to the original two games but it's an absolutely incredible game and might have been my favourite of those games since there's no slow burn to get going.

Advertisement