Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I was planning on buying it at the end of the month. I thought it wouldn't be totally sold out.

I'll have to pony up for a October copy.

Seen a message last night that it was nearly sold out and put in an order. Was going to wait until I got paid tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have the the CRPG one, great quality and well written but like the Berserk deluxe editions they are best read on the lap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have Kurts Point and Click one and it's excellent. Really comprehensive. Raging I missed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Is SMT Nocturne worth picking up for someone who hasn't played it before folks? Want to pick up a new JRPG for Switch and its a toss up between that and something much more lighthearted in Trials of Mana remake. I've only started into SMT IV on 3DS and enjoying it so far so will realistically be a while before I start Nocturne, unless I ditch IV for the moment and get stuck into Nocturne.

I know a lot of folks hold Nocturne in high regard but I'm wondering has it aged well for someone who's never played it. I understand the HD remaster didn't change much

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's far and away the best JRPG of the PS2 era so I'd say yes, definitely get it. I finished it on PS2 a few months back and it's an incredible game. It doesn't really focus on story, it's more so the incredible atmosphere and world and while it's not narrative heavy it's still a class apart narratively than the vast majority of JRPGs. There's a lot to be said for show, don't tell.

However I'd finish SMT4 first. It's a much easier game and will get you into SMT rather than being dropped into the deep end like SMT Nocturne does.

Just remember when you start what I said about buffs being important in SMT4. It's doubly so here. There is a boss near the start of the game, Matador, that is a brick wall for most people but you can take him out easily if you abuse agility buffs and debuffs.

• Advertisement

It's far and away the best JRPG of the PS2 era so I'd say yes, definitely get it. I finished it on PS2 a few months back and it's an incredible game. It doesn't really focus on story, it's more so the incredible atmosphere and world and while it's not narrative heavy it's still a class apart narratively than the vast majority of JRPGs. There's a lot to be said for show, don't tell.

However I'd finish SMT4 first. It's a much easier game and will get you into SMT rather than being dropped into the deep end like SMT Nocturne does.

Just remember when you start what I said about buffs being important in SMT4. It's doubly so here. There is a boss near the start of the game, Matador, that is a brick wall for most people but you can take him out easily if you abuse agility buffs and debuffs.

Cheers Retro - I'll definitely pick it up at some point so. Might stick with SMT IV for now and try finish that. I have plenty SMT on 3DS but nothing on Switch, still have to finish one of them though as I generally hit a wall. If I pick up Nocturne now I won't get to it for a while.

Tempted to give Trials of Mana a go for now for something different than SMT IV and maybe pick up Nocturne next month as the price seems to be getting lower quick enough.

I know I have said it before but Trials of Mana is one of my favourite SNES era games and I still think its underrated although I know some here don't.

Nocturne is a great game as well but it's also quite bleak and atmospheric and a lot of the environments are very bland with muted colours, might be a tad depressing in the summer.

Xenji wrote: »
    I know I have said it before but Trials of Mana is one of my favourite SNES era games and I still think its underrated although I know some here don't.

Nocturne is a great game as well but it's also quite bleak and atmospheric and a lot of the environments are very bland with muted colours, might be a tad depressing in the summer.

I have the original Trials of Mana on Switch but haven't started that yet. Remake looks good, think it used same engine as DQ11. Have you played the remake?

Trials on SNES had issues but I heard the remake is superb and really underappreciated.

skerry wrote: »
    I have the original Trials of Mana on Switch but haven't started that yet. Remake looks good, think it used same engine as DQ11. Have you played the remake?

I have and I actually prefer the Neill Corlett fan translation and the original music but that is really just personal preference, my only real gripe was the removal of local co-op.

Otherwise they did a stellar job of it and made multiple changes to give it better quality of life and make it far less grindy than the original.

You can see the full list of changes here https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Trials_of_Mana_Version_Differences

• Advertisement

I have and I actually prefer the Neill Corlett fan translation and the original music but that is really just personal preference, my only real gripe was the removal of local co-op.

Otherwise they did a stellar job of it and made multiple changes to give it better quality of life and make it far less grindy than the original.

You can see the full list of changes here https://mana.fandom.com/wiki/Trials_of_Mana_Version_Differences

Sound, I picked it up there, looking forward to getting stuck in. Will definitely pick up SMT Nocturne soon but gonna keep the SMT IV play through going for now and Trials will be a good contract to switch off to.

Wary of physical copies of SMT drying up as Atlus tend to release about 10 copies of the game before their inevitably flogged for 3 times the price on ebay....thats if my 3DS experience of hardcopy SMT games is anything to go by

I just pick up anything atlus as I'm actually saving money in the long run

I just pick up anything atlus as I'm actually saving money in the long run

Was lucky enough to pick up a copy of Strange Journey Redux for 20 quid in Gamestop when I picked up 3DS last year. Lads charging stupid money for it on ebay now.

Doki Doki Literature Club! Plus! received proper release across all platforms this week, its probably one of the most intense psychological horror visual novels out there, although I am not sure how it's most famous moment will be replicated on consoles.

Doki Doki Literature Club! Plus! received proper release across all platforms this week, its probably one of the most intense psychological horror visual novels out there, although I am not sure how it's most famous moment will be replicated on consoles.

Only first heard of this one during the week and when I looked into it the premise seems way way darker than the games aesthetic suggests. Sounds interesting but I'm afraid to look up interviews to find out more cos it seems like a game that would be easily spoiled.

Only first heard of this one during the week and when I looked into it the premise seems way way darker than the games aesthetic suggests. Sounds interesting but I'm afraid to look up interviews to find out more cos it seems like a game that would be easily spoiled.

Don't look anything up

Just play it.

I think digitally it's only about 12 Euro on most platforms, its really a steal at that price, but yeah as Retr0 said just go in blind.

Picked up Doki Doki and went in blind as advised, good game and good advice going in blind.

Been making good progress on SMT IV. Hadn't played 3DS in a couple of weeks but its all I've been playing the last few nights and I'm hooked. Out of the initial dungeon now and into Tokyo and that wacky overworld map. Its getting a bit more forgiving now although I thought I'd have a lot more trouble with some of the more notorious bosses in the first dungeons. I've been keeping up with fusion and my MC is a magic focused build and have a nice array of spells on him at this stage. Once you have a couple in the team with the element the boss is weak to its generally not much hassle. Soundtrack is Godly.

Keeping an eye out on a decent price on Nocturne now, definitely gonna pick that up and jump in once I get through IV.

If you are used to SMT then those opening bosses aren't tough, it's all about Dem Bufs.

The game unfortunately loses its challenge after them but I still adored it. So much so I went back to New Game plus and finished it with the neutral ending and finished the New Game plus content. Also finished the DLC, they are just super bosses so pretty overpriced for what they are but my god are they utterly insane. Ended up looking at a walkthrough on how to build parties to beat them.

And that Overworld music is God Tier.

Nocturne is great but it can be exhausting with how oppressive it is and how it's mostly all combat. I loved it but can see how happier less oppressive games can distract you from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Started Playing Persona 5 Strikers and having a bit of a hard time of it since I barely play action games. Just beast the first major boss by the skin of my teeth and I think I'm starting to get what its expecting from me combat wise. I'll play on into the second dungeon for now until I see if I'll stick with it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I didn’t expect quite so much JRPG at the Olympics opening ceremony ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Absolutely loving NEO The World Ends With You. Was worried how the combat would translate, but it’s immediately one of my favourite JRPG fighting systems in a bloody age - fast, frantic and satisfying. A great follow-up - been ages since I played the first, but this one definitely feels fresh and vibrant.

Hmm, It's getting mixed to average reviews. A lot saying it's not a patch on the original and it's more fan service than actual good plot. Everyone seems to praise the battle system.

Eh, the story is just kinda there in the background for me, like it was in the first. I'm more interested in the combat, music and look of the thing - and that's all pretty damn good so far. It's the first JRPG recently where I'm going looking for enemy encounters as they're so much fun - the combo system (which allows you 'stack' several fights in a row for bonus drops) is particularly smart. Still early in the game of course, but very happy with how it plays so far.

Thanks, that sounds right up my alley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

The TWEWY sequel seems to be getting positive impressions to me? I wasn't expecting it to be good if I'm honest since I couldn't understand how you could do a direct squeal to TWEWY almost like 15 years after it came out. Slightly annoyed as I was hoping to put playing on it on the long finger rather than get it near release.

Few decent Atlus JRPGs on sale in the 3DS Eshop. Both Etrian Odysssy Untold games, Stella Glow, Devil Survivor 2 and a couple more at €4.99 each.

Anyone here play Stella Glow, looks interesting

I'll give it a lash at 5 euro. Looks quite fire emblem-y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Just bought Devil Survivor 2, hard to beat that price, even though I haven't beat the first one yet. I already have all the Etrian Odyssey games, but they're worth a shot at those prices.

Advertisement