Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Play legend of dragoon and you will see how bad they can get.

Currently playing yakuza like a dragon. It's pretty much yakuza dragon quest and it's amazing.

I want to play it! But I want to play through 3 to 6 first. Yakuza Dragon Quest is a fusion of two of my favourite series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've to finish the others as well. It heard this is a soft reboot. Plenty of yakuza to keep me entertained anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Liking the look of SaGa Frontier Remastered on eshop for €25 has anyone tried it yet shop4.ie have a physical copy listed for release in June seems an Asian/English language option but pricey at over €40 compared to eshop price file seems to be 3.5GB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Liking the look of SaGa Frontier Remastered on eshop for €25 has anyone tried it yet shop4.ie have a physical copy listed for release in June seems an Asian/English language option but pricey at over €40 compared to eshop price file seems to be 3.5GB

It's a fantastic remake but it's a saga game.... not for everyone. I love them but they can be very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Playing it on and off for the past 5 hours a lot of fun I'm trying to steer clear of guides and spoilers until I get stuck, fantastic bargain for€25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

I've to finish the others as well. It heard this is a soft reboot.

It isnt, you should finish the others before playing Like a Dragon beyond about chapoter 10. While it does star new characters for the main part it all ties into events going on through the whole series

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Doodah7

And so on to Trails of Cold Steel III after taking the delightful detour through Crossbell and its environs. A great pair of RPG's with an interesting plot which also serves to link together and move the entire series' story forward. It is such a shame that people have to resort to 'other' means to actually play them in English!

You will now have the bizarre situation that Trails of Cold Steel III and IV are available in English on Switch but I and II are being released shortly on the system but will not be translated. Makes no sense, particularly when both games are in English on PC, PS4, PS3 and PS Vita!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Like A Dragon will not spoil anything for 1 and 2 but it will spoil stuff from 3 to 5 and 6 in a big way.

I'm ok with spoilers. Videogames are hardly the epitome of storytelling and I firmly believe twists are terrible writing akin to a jump scare. It's about the journey. Of the story is fun to go through to get to the resolution then I won't mind.

I also do t have time to go through the 6 yakuza games! I will. Just not now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭megaten

Same, once I finish up 2 Kiwami I think I'll hop onto yakuza 7 despite not playing 3-6. The idea of the Yakuza structure as an explicit turn based RPG is too tempting.

• Advertisement

Tales Of Arise is coming out on all platforms except the Switch on the 10th of September, UFO Table will again be behind the cut scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I've only played Y0 so I haven't a notion what's going on in Like a Dragon. I get the broad story but there is so much other stuff that I'm totally befuddled by. It makes it quite difficult to sit through the hour long spouts of dialogue in between gameplay at times.

Ichiban is a great protagonist though, and the side characters are great, and there are hilarious sub quests.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Yakuza games follow the narrative approach of many modern and classic yakuza films: somehow being extremely simple and incredibly convoluted all at once.

I am very surprised how well NieR Replicant is reviewing, don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the original but it still seems to have most of the same issues the original had but with better graphics and a modified battle system.

Bandwagon hopping.

I loved nier dearly but it definitely had issues. A decent combat system can only take it so far.

Best 7/10 game ever and well worth playing.

Tales of Arise actually looks fun and not the ubisoft of jrpgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I love Nier partly due to how shambolic it all is. It's a game that punches above its weight. The remake thankfully doesn't polish the **** out of the more endearing aspects of it either.

I always thought it was a shame when Automata came out people were still giving Nier a swerve cause of hangups about combat, when tbh I had much more fun with the fighting in old Nier. The remake doesn't even fix the fighting, it just makes it look cooler. But if it gets people finally checking it out (or 'bandwagon hopping') then that's good too

The jankyness of Nier is massively overstated. Its not a looker but the OST and Voice acting make it punch way above its weight in terms of presentation values.

A game that requires you to finish it twice before it gets good is utterly insane to me

A game that requires you to finish it twice before it gets good is utterly insane to me

It's not really twice. You only have to go through the second half of the game again. And it's not like it wasn't great the first time through, it's that the narrative gets even better the second time through and it wouldn't work unless you've already been through the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

It doesn't require you to beat it any number of times to 'get good', either you enjoy it or you don't. If you are playing Nier right now and hating it through route A then stop playing because what happens later on is not going to change your mind on the game.

Nier is good even without the New Game plus twist.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Tales of Arise actually looks fun and not the ubisoft of jrpgs.

Looks fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Any experience of the Devil Survivor games folks? Decent enough Atlus sale on 3DS at the moment and was thinking of picking up DS 2 Record Breaker. Haven't played the first one though so not sure if I'd be missing out on anything.

Some Etrian Odyssey games on sale too, might pick up Untold 2

They're great but balls hard.

As for Etrian Odyssey, they are secretly the best RPGs in the last 15 years. Brilliant stuff.

They're great but balls hard.

As for Etrian Odyssey, they are secretly the best RPGs in the last 15 years. Brilliant stuff.

Have a few Etrian games already and tempted to try one of the Untold games seeing as they actually seen to have thrown a bit of a story in there. Devil Survivor has been on my radar for a while as the combat system looks a bit more strategic that most smt games I've played

skerry wrote: »
    Have a few Etrian games already and tempted to try one of the Untold games seeing as they actually seen to have thrown a bit of a story in there. Devil Survivor has been on my radar for a while as the combat system looks a bit more strategic that most smt games I've played

I played a bit of the story mode of Untold and tbh the story gets in the way of enjoying the game. You've a fixed party and the dialogue is animed up to the hilt.

It's a far better game going in and exploring the dungeon in classic mode. The story is the journey, it's not like there's no story but what is there is kept as brief as possible. It's more about you, the party you create and the map that you create. You are basically creating your own story.

It's an incredibly compelling experience. It doesn't need the anime.

Just three things to remember. You are dungeon diving. Dive in, and get out then you've exhausted resources. Keep diving and exploring until you have mapped the entire area out then take on the boss. You will not be able to get through an area in one dive.

Second. Warp Wires. Buy them. Buy Two. When you get them they allow you to immediately warp out of a dungeon.
    Why buy two? Because you will inevitable forget to restock them, be deep in a dungeon and try to warp wire out and find you are going to have to limp out of the dungeon because you have nonw. Two means that won't happen.

Third, have a farming party to collect at loot points. You get extra weapons and items in item shops by selling loot to them. The best loot is from loot spots. Have a team of one or two tanks and the rest of farmers and go looting with them.

I played a bit of the story mode of Untold and tbh the story gets in the way of enjoying the game. You've a fixed party and the dialogue is animed up to the hilt.

It's a far better game going in and exploring the dungeon in classic mode. The story is the journey, it's not like there's no story but what is there is kept as brief as possible. It's more about you, the party you create and the map that you create. You are basically creating your own story.

It's an incredibly compelling experience. It doesn't need the anime.

Just three things to remember. You are dungeon diving. Dive in, and get out then you've exhausted resources. Keep diving and exploring until you have mapped the entire area out then take on the boss. You will not be able to get through an area in one dive.

Second. Warp Wires. Buy them. Buy Two. When you get them they allow you to immediately warp out of a dungeon.
    Why buy two? Because you will inevitable forget to restock them, be deep in a dungeon and try to warp wire out and find you are going to have to limp out of the dungeon because you have nonw. Two means that won't happen.

Third, have a farming party to collect at loot points. You get extra weapons and items in item shops by selling loot to them. The best loot is from loot spots. Have a team of one or two tanks and the rest of farmers and go looting with them.

I think I remember reading similar a while back when I was looking at picking up EO Untold - Millennium Girl. You get a set party and it kind of kills the flexibility. I'd probably end up playing in classic mode so and if that's the case I already have Beyond the Myth, Legends of Titan and Nexus that can give me that side of things.

I'm a decent bit into Beyond the Myth and it's been a great experience so far. I tend to only play it in bursts and leave it down again for a while. I think warp wires are called arianne threads in Beyond the Myth. I've forgotten them a few times and only copped it mid dungeon when I'm in trouble, good call on buying a backup.

Might pick up Devil Survivor. I enjoy SMT games but don't think I've finished one yet. Persona 5 is probably my closest but I struggle to get back into that once I put it down. I've decent bit done in Strange Journey but its pretty hard. You finally get to a point in the dungeon where your doing good, beat the boss and then you get slayed by the very first demons you encounter in the next area. Still good fun though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Finally finished the last boss in Fire Emblem 3 Houses, what a great game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Valkyria Revolution is free on the PS4 along with various bits of free DLC .

I've no idea if it was always free nor if it is any good.

But a couple of clicks to add the library backlog is no big deal!

Advertisement