Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Finished trials of mana last night, a decent little game, a throw back to Jrpg's of old, don't know if I'll bother going for the platnium, two more playthroughs with the remaining characters.

It is just one more play through if you pick a completely different team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    It is just one more play through if you pick a completely different team.

3 different final bosses though Xenji depending on who you pick as your main :(. Fought
    Anise the secret boss on hard,
    what a bitch!

3 different final bosses though Xenji depending on who you pick as your main :(. Fought
    Anise the secret boss on hard,
    what a bitch!

Wait till you fight
    Black Rabite
    if you think she was tough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Xenji wrote: »
    Wait till you fight
    Black Rabite
    if you think she was tough.

I heard about them, what level were you for them? are they still tough even on beginner?

I heard about them, what level were you for them? are they still tough even on beginner?

I have not tackled him yet in the remake, but in the original he was one of the hardest bosses I have faced in any game, I think I would usually be around level 70 before tackling him, it is probably not as difficult now as previously you had to have been playing the Duran/Angela story line to be able to face him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Baroque is coming to Switch but it's not the third person remake we got on PS2/Wii but the first person dungeon crawler Saturn version.

Only in japan but hoping it comes to the west. Was always fascinated by it, it's a rogue lite dungeon crawler. Didn't play much of the remake but really wanted to play the original which just looked like the better game with a much creepier atmosphere and one of the best soundtracks ever (the remake soundtrack was great but it was a bit fast paced and heavy on the guitar while the originals is pure atmospheric synths).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Started trails in the cold sky for the second time a few weeks back but fell off of it again after a few hours so there'll probably be a third restart in the future :pac:

Played the original Final Fantasy VII on the ps4 instead. It's the first final fantasy I've played and really enjoyed it apart from the bit between
    after Midgar and before the temple of he ancients
    which I thought was pretty dull.

Ended up getting the platinum even though I unashamedly used the cheats on ruby weapon because I definitely don't have the patience for that :pac:.

I want to play more of the 7 timeline before picking up the remake. Is crisis core the next game to play ? Is it any good because it's not available to buy on the ps store to the best of my knowledge.

Either way I'll probably play Persona 3 FES next since there's no sign of SMT V on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,337 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Gyan84 wrote: »
    Started trails in the cold sky for the second time a few weeks back but fell off of it again after a few hours so there'll probably be a third restart in the future :pac:

Played the original Final Fantasy VII on the ps4 instead. It's the first final fantasy I've played and really enjoyed it apart from the bit between
    after Midgar and before the temple of he ancients
    which I thought was pretty dull.

Ended up getting the platinum even though I unashamedly used the cheats on ruby weapon because I definitely don't have the patience for that :pac:.

I want to play more of the 7 timeline before picking up the remake. Is crisis core the next game to play ? Is it any good because it's not available to buy on the ps store to the best of my knowledge.

Either way I'll probably play Persona 3 FES next since there's no sign of SMT V on the horizon.

Crisis core is the only one considered even semi decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,337 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Trails of Cold Steel I arrived today so I'm gonna dip my toe into that world soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Crisis core is daycent but not amazing. To be honest everything outside the original game just dilutes the original experience and makes it worse. Also crisis core is hard to play as it is only available as a umd. There's really no next game to play other than the remake and crisis core is fun but it's lore adds nothing to the base game.

Just wait for your perfect version of the remake. Or play another FF game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Donoghh

Sticking my nose in here to say that I always have an RPG on the go alongisde another game, so my upcoming list is looking like this:
    Persona 3 Portable - Just rolled credits on Persona 4 Golden before this quarantine happened so thought I'd continue moving back through the series.
    Xenoblade Chronicles X - Although it's for the Wii U, I picked this up cheap on adverts and have been meaning to play for years!
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses - just finished my first playthrough of this (Black Eagles run if anyone is curious) and will return at some point to do the other runs!
    Dragon Quest XI - Another one that's big on my list. Will pick it up for Switch purely for portability I think, although I'll have to pay Nintendo tax on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Donoghh wrote: »
    Sticking my nose in here to say that I always have an RPG on the go alongisde another game, so my upcoming list is looking like this:
    Persona 3 Portable - Just rolled credits on Persona 4 Golden before this quarantine happened so thought I'd continue moving back through the series.
    Xenoblade Chronicles X - Although it's for the Wii U, I picked this up cheap on adverts and have been meaning to play for years!
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses - just finished my first playthrough of this (Black Eagles run if anyone is curious) and will return at some point to do the other runs!
    Dragon Quest XI - Another one that's big on my list. Will pick it up for Switch purely for portability I think, although I'll have to pay Nintendo tax on it

If you want a card copy of DQ XI act fast, it appears to be oop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭skerry

Finished 4th Palace in Persona 5. Find it hard to keep going with it after a palace though. Usually take a break for a few months between and then have no clue what happened since I last played. Started it 18 months ago.

Playing Fire Emblem Shadows Of Valentia on the 2DS at the moment too. Really enjoying it now I'm into Act 3 and story is picking up a bit. Not sure how it compares to other entries in the series, my only other FE game I've played is Three Houses. Third person dungeon mechanic breaks things up a bit.

All will be shelved once Xenoblade Chronicles arrives though.

skerry wrote: »
    Finished 4th Palace in Persona 5. Find it hard to keep going with it after a palace though. Usually take a break for a few months between and then have no clue what happened since I last played. Started it 18 months ago.

Playing Fire Emblem Shadows Of Valentia on the 2DS at the moment too. Really enjoying it now I'm into Act 3 and story is picking up a bit. Not sure how it compares to other entries in the series, my only other FE game I've played is Three Houses. Third person dungeon mechanic breaks things up a bit.

All will be shelved once Xenoblade Chronicles arrives though.

I'm preloaded and ready to go, I'd love a monado keychain!

I'm preloaded and ready to go, I'd love a monado keychain!

I pre ordered from Shopto, think I'm getting a key ring. Hoping it ships tomorrow now. I'll be doing well to have it by the weekend though I reckon

I pre ordered from Shopto, think I'm getting a key ring. Hoping it ships tomorrow now. I'll be doing well to have it by the weekend though I reckon

Know anywhere you can buy the keychain separate?

Know anywhere you can buy the keychain separate?

No idea but there'll probably be chancers hawking them over the next few weeks. I'll let you know if it's worth having when I see mine ;)

No idea but there'll probably be chancers hawking them over the next few weeks. I'll let you know if it's worth having when I see mine ;)

I see shopto is still taking pre-orders for the collectors edition, I won't lie I'm tempted ;).

I see shopto is still taking pre-orders for the collectors edition, I won't lie I'm tempted ;).

That's commitment.

Just had email from them saying my order is being processed so might have it for the weekend after all .

Amazon still have stock of the standard edition with the keyring and poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Moguri Mod 8.0 for FF IX released.

https://sites.google.com/view/moguri-mod/install

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

That is looking pretty good I have to say

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

That looks amazing. Had to stop playing the steam release as the recoloured backgrounds for Mobile looked god awful.

Xenoblade Chronicales Definitive Edition getting predictably amazing reviews.

Seriously if you haven'y already, please play this game!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Just seen this on Nintendo everything optional bonus for having played Xenoblade Chronicles 2

https://nintendoeverything.com/xenoblade-chronicles-definitive-edition-gives-free-100000g-for-having-played-xenoblade-chronicles-2/

Argos have Xenoblade Chronicles for €48.99 cheapest price as GameStop and Smyths are €59.99

No sign of Xenoblade Chronicles arriving today. Have plenty to keep me occupied in the meantime but would have been nice to have the long weekend to go at it.

Didn't realise the Collectors Edition contained a funky picture disc vinyl with some of the soundtrack on it. Would have picked that up if I'd have known, I do like a good vinyl

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Xenoblade Chronicales Definitive Edition getting predictably amazing reviews.

Seriously if you haven'y already, please play this game!

As someone who hasn't followed this at all, is it worth upgrading from the Wii version?

I'll second that and ask how does it play in handheld mode

• Advertisement

If you've not played the Wii version it's a no brainier.

For me I won't be touching the main game but it has an added scenario with 30 hours of gameplay.

As for portable mode it's the same as xenoblade 2 so low res and blurry unfortunately.

Advertisement