Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D.I.T Newbies - 2012/13

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭RonanM123

Hi all, hope to start at DIT in Sep, plan on doing DT365 but I also have DT354 and DT315.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

RonanM123 wrote: »
    Hi all, hope to start at DIT in Sep, plan on doing DT365 but I also have DT354 and DT315.
    I'm in 365/3 now, so if you get it and ever have any questions let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭evilberry

schtat wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm starting DT249 in September (BSc Information Systems and Information Technology) as a mature student. Looking forward to it although kinda hoping working full-time doesn't finish me off(!).

Anyone else on here doing this one?

Cheers,
    Ken

You're definitely not the only one! The only difference actually is after my IT studies in a different country before I've gotten straight into the second year which is completely awesome cause I thought I would have to start from scratch.

My boyfriend applied for a regular entry though, so probably you'll get to see each other there sometimes.

I wouldn't be scared of working on a full-time basis though, my friend's on the second year now and I've been told if one only has a passion for it it will go very smoothly for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ebjarrell

I'll be starting the Access Course but I'm 43. I'll be feeling like a grandpa walking around all you guys and girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MikkaD

esposito wrote: »
    Yep it does indeed. Looking forward to the work placement in third year, an airline/airport or railway station for me!! But who knows I could develop other interests as the course progresses

Im going into third year DT028 in sept, hoping to do my placement with Aer Lingus in the air cargo department..when I started the course all I wanted to do was work in road freight! ye will enjoy the course.. most of the lecturers are good and help you out a lot,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

MikkaD wrote: »
    Im going into third year DT028 in sept, hoping to do my placement with Aer Lingus in the air cargo department..when I started the course all I wanted to do was work in road freight! ye will enjoy the course.. most of the lecturers are good and help you out a lot,,

That sounds awesome. Would love to do the placement with Aer Lingus or Ryanair. Have you gone on many class trips to airports/railway stations/ ports?

That sounds awesome. Would love to do the placement with Aer Lingus or Ryanair. Have you gone on many class trips to airports/railway stations/ ports?
    It should be no problem to get a placement with one of the airlines. yea there will be lots of class trips in the first 2 years, we went to Dublin port twice, Aer Lingus cargo department, luas depot at bluebell, navy base in Cork, air corps base, tesco warehouse in Drogheda and transport show in Birmingham.. :)

It should be no problem to get a placement with one of the airlines. yea there will be lots of class trips in the first 2 years, we went to Dublin port twice, Aer Lingus cargo department, luas depot at bluebell, navy base in Cork, air corps base, tesco warehouse in Drogheda and transport show in Birmingham.. :)

Thats good to know about the placements. Some interesting places there, tesco warehouse!! Really looking forward to the class trips, should be fun. Have you any idea on what you want to do your dissertation on yet?

Thats good to know about the placements. Some interesting places there, tesco warehouse!! Really looking forward to the class trips, should be fun. Have you any idea on what you want to do your dissertation on yet?

Tesco warehouse is actually a good trip.. the place is about 10 times the size of a football pitch and works like clockwork inside.. no idea on the dissertation yet.. will have to start thinking about it soon though!

Tesco warehouse is actually a good trip.. the place is about 10 times the size of a football pitch and works like clockwork inside.. no idea on the dissertation yet.. will have to start thinking about it soon though!

Haha sounds good. Yeah i'll be giving it a good think over the next year or 2. Was told by the head of the transport school that it has to relate to your work placement.

• Advertisement

Haha sounds good. Yeah i'll be giving it a good think over the next year or 2. Was told by the head of the transport school that it has to relate to your work placement.
    who was that?Declan Allen? i never heard that.. as far as I know it can be anything related to transport..

who was that?Declan Allen? i never heard that.. as far as I know it can be anything related to transport..
    Well he said the placement would be useful but yeah you can do it on anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Hi lads, just wondering if anyone knows how active the judo&boxing clubs are in DIT? I might get into kevin street and would be interested in training them. Can't find much info on the website though. Hopefully they're still active

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SparkieJen

schtat wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm starting DT249 in September (BSc Information Systems and Information Technology) as a mature student. Looking forward to it although kinda hoping working full-time doesn't finish me off(!).

Anyone else on here doing this one?

Cheers,
    Ken

You and me both!

I went to college at 17 after the Leaving Cert but dropped out after 2 years - I wasn't focused enough for the freedom college gave and it didn't help that I didn't like my course (Sociology - don't know what was I thinking, picked it in a panic!). I've been working in IT for almost 8 years now and this is my first serious attempt to get qualified, hope I can handle it! I'm also unbelievably nervous about starting college again, can't believe there's only a month or so left! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

DT341. looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 42 eoin_mulhern

Im 23, got accepted for DT366 advanced entry into year 2- Anybody in/applied for this course.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Im 23, got accepted for DT366 advanced entry into year 2- Anybody in/applied for this course.
    I'm going into year 3 of DT365, but second year if accounting and finance and business and management have a bit if cross over so if you any questions on economy of Ireland, eu framework or any if the other crossovers I'm happy to answer em!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

DT228

As long as the points don't increase by 100 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

DT411 is safe by 35 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭madcharlie

:D Awesome! - I am generally an outgoing guy, so i get on with anyone really! - I do enjoy having "the craic" aswell so should all be good :D - the only thing i'm worried about, is that i am 20, is that much older, than alot of students entering first year? :cool:

lol.... I am starting in September DT343 .... @ 27 , so don't worry about being the old dude !!

• Advertisement

ebjarrell wrote: »
    I'll be starting the Access Course but I'm 43. I'll be feeling like a grandpa walking around all you guys and girls.

best of luck with it !! .... I am starting as a mature (27) as well, from what I have heard , there are lots in their 30s and 40s ! Might see you in the Old Skool Society (for us fossils) .

SparkieJen wrote: »
    You and me both!

I went to college at 17 after the Leaving Cert but dropped out after 2 years - I wasn't focused enough for the freedom college gave and it didn't help that I didn't like my course (Sociology - don't know what was I thinking, picked it in a panic!). I've been working in IT for almost 8 years now and this is my first serious attempt to get qualified, hope I can handle it! I'm also unbelievably nervous about starting college again, can't believe there's only a month or so left! :eek:

Best of luck ..... in same boat , starting in DIT after working full time for 9 years. Getting a bit stressed now thinking about it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 33 RoseanneB

I'm hoping to get Visual Merchandising and Display in Mountjoy Square :D Got enough with the LC points and portfolio, just waiting for the CAO offers now!! :eek:

Lads, what is in this welcome pack? Here's hoping for the complimentary condoms! I joke, I joke... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

RoseanneB wrote: »
    Lads, what is in this welcome pack? Here's hoping for the complimentary condoms! I joke, I joke... :D
    pretty sure there is one from the SU on your first day that will sort ya out there;)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Does anyone know what the story is with gym membership in DIT?

I was going to join my local gym but have delayed to see the kind of price/facilities etc in DIT

overshoot wrote: »
    pretty sure there is one from the SU on your first day that will sort ya out there;)
    Excellent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

overshoot wrote: »
    RoseanneB wrote: »

Just the one?? Ara sure it can be washed i suppose, were all students gonna have to watch the aul pennies.

I got dt557 cant wait altough quite apprehensive as im an immature mature student but ill be 5 or 6 years older than the majority of my fellow students

Just the one?? Ara sure it can be washed i suppose, were all students gonna have to watch the aul pennies.

Bahaha!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

@madcharlie and sparkiejen
    I really wouldnt worry about going back to college after so long. I left school early and went working for about 10 years and went back to college in september 2010. Im now going into my 3rd year of college. Trust me after the first 2 or 3 weeks you'll be flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Well hopefully I'll be bak in DIT by November doing my PhD *fingers and toes crossed*

If anyone has questions on DT420/421/422/425 just let me know I've just finished with a First in DT420

Advertisement