Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDP12 Final - Leinster v Ospreys 27/05/12 - KO 4pm - RTE/TG4/S4C

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

It's actually very easy to argue. Leinster can't even win their own domestic competition yet they are the best team in Europe? Flawed logic right there.

Leinster lost a one off game after with a record of w18/d1/l3 from 22 in the regular season. They were unbeaten in the HC with a record of w8/d1 from 9 games played.

Not many teams in Europe have a record like that this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Aidric wrote: »
    Ah jaysus, if it isn't bitterness it's hyperbole. This thread has hit the bottom.
    Agreed.

Last year was the greatest Heineken Cup final performance ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Clegg wrote: »
    Agreed.

the sheer clinical nature make this years better

last years was better in terms of excitement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

So no team that has ever win the HC has been the best team in Europe other than Wasps? As a neutral fan your complete bitterness is ruining the thread. At times I really hate Irish rugby. I've never begrudged an Irish team but I don't expect that from everyone. At the very least be honest though. A lot of Munster fans annoyed that they're now behind Leinster and us in Irish rugby and lashing out!

Possibly, but I think the whole "best team in europe" title is used by droolers and children tbh.

One off games, like today? :rolleyes:

Wind your neck in, you are humiliating yourself at this stage tbh.

Did I say Ospreys are the best team in Europe, best team in Wales, Scotland, or Ireland or even better then Leinster? No I didn't. The logic seems to be "leinster best team in Europe because they one lots of one games against other teams" When they lose a one-off game "Oh but that doesn't count, should use the league as a better barometer." As for humiliation, see your last post tbh.

Possibly, but I think the whole "best team in europe" title is used by droolers and children tbh.

Did I say Ospreys are the best team in Europe, best team in Wales, Scotland, or Ireland or even better then Leinster? No I didn't. The logic seems to be "leinster best team in Europe because they one lots of one games against other teams" When they lose a one-off game "Oh but that doesn't count, should use the league as a better barometer." As for humiliation, see your last post tbh.

must resist urge to use lemon gif............................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

No Chucky, what you said is that Leinster cannot be the best team in Europe because they can't even win their domestic league, despite having run away with the league on points. Then went on to say that one-off games don't matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

A lot of people talking about sour grapes here. But can anyone, any single person, explain why White was binned. 9 points ahead with 8 mins to go. That sin-binning was huge in the context of the entire Rabo season. And I have no idea why he was binned. Since coming onto the pitch he was only pinged once AFAIR. I thought that was incredibly harsh. People can point to the potential penalty try in the first half - which can be argued either way - but there was 40 mins left in the game after that. It isn't comparable to a yellow card 8 mins from the end.

Fair play to the Ospreys, they're a class act and for the most part I'd have no complaint. But I can't help feeling incredibly frustrated with that decision that was so costly. The scrum all game was a joke. How a ref who is so well known for being terrible at scrum time can take charge of a final in any tournament beggars belief. It's not like scrums aren't a big part of the game or anything.

I gladly clapped off each member of the Ospreys team and congratulated Ospreys fans after the game, but I don't agree with letting referees off the hook. We have to ask these questions. It's not bitter, it's only right that as paying customers we demand a certain standard. And flipping a coin is not good enough.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

If, for example, Quins were to win the HEC next year, I would agree that the 'Best team in Europe' title is probably a bit of a stretch. However, when applied to Leinster this year after 3 in 4, I personally don't think there can be any debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

hmm maybe a poor choice of words on my part. I would be very disappointed if I was a Leinster fan, the double was so very close.

More like it. Yes was very disappointing. But the way I look at it is that any kind of silverware these days is hard won and puts into context Leinster's achievement of winning 3 Heineken Cups in 4 years. It was a great match today and Leinster just ran out of gas at the end. Hopefully it will drive them on to do the double next season. That is the level of Leinster's aspirations-"doubles".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

So Leinster won the league itself by a country mile, and beat every European team put in front of it, including the best team in France AWAY FROM HOME in the semi. In addition, you say one-off games don't count.

Then they lose a one-off game and you think this negates winning the league by a mile and beating everyone in Europe, even though one-off games don't count?

Seriously, if there's anyone on the rugby forum who doesn't have you on 'ignore' after this disgraceful series of posts, you should send them a Christmas card. If you ever had any credibility on rugby, it's long, long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    must resist urge to use lemon gif............................

Use it all you want. When you have to resort to pcitures I think it tells me a lot.
    Irlandczyk wrote: »
    No Chucky, what you said is that Leinster cannot be the best team in Europe because they can't even win their domestic league, despite having run away with the league on points. Then went on to say that one-off games don't matter...

I didn't say that. I asked a question.
    So Leinster won the league itself by a country mile, and beat every European team put in front of it, including the best team in France AWAY FROM HOME in the semi. In addition, you say one-off games don't count.

Then they lose a one-off game and you think this negates winning the league by a mile and beating everyone in Europe, even though one-off games don't count?

Seriously, if there's anyone on the rugby forum who doesn't have you on 'ignore' after this disgraceful series of posts, you should send them a Christmas card. If you ever had any credibility on rugby, it's long, long gone.

This what I said, it's a question. Maybe you should look what a question means up in the dictionary.
    And Leinster were just beaten by the Ospreys, how does the best team in Europe not even win their domestic competition?

molloyjh wrote: »
    A lot of people talking about sour grapes here. But can anyone, any single person, explain why White was binned. 9 points ahead with 8 mins to go. That sin-binning was huge in the context of the entire Rabo season. And I have no idea why he was binned. Since coming onto the pitch he was only pinged once AFAIR. I thought that was incredibly harsh. People can point to the potential penalty try in the first half - which can be argued either way - but there was 40 mins left in the game after that. It isn't comparable to a yellow card 8 mins from the end.

Fair play to the Ospreys, they're a class act and for the most part I'd have no complaint. But I can't help feeling incredibly frustrated with that decision that was so costly. The scrum all game was a joke. How a ref who is so well known for being terrible at scrum time can take charge of a final in any tournament beggars belief. It's not like scrums aren't a big part of the game or anything.

I gladly clapped off each member of the Ospreys team and congratulated Ospreys fans after the game, but I don't agree with letting referees off the hook. We have to ask these questions. It's not bitter, it's only right that as paying customers we demand a certain standard. And flipping a coin is not good enough.....

good post

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Gutted, absolutely gutted ( also sunburnt and drunk). Truthfully I do think the lose does tarnish the season, they needed to close it out especially after the talk of building a dynasty. Ospreys deserved the victory and fair play to them for winning 2 in 3 and away from home.

That all said it has been a fantastic season for Leinster and as such I have no voice from shouting in support of them.

So to Leinster, thank you. It's been immense and see you next year, however I won't have a season ticket next year which is slightly deprresing

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

Use it all you want. When you have to resort to pcitures I think it tells me a lot.

A picture paints a thousand words, after all...

Aidric wrote: »
    Ah jaysus, if it isn't bitterness it's hyperbole. This thread has hit the bottom.

I was calling Leinster's the final performance the greatest ever because of 3 things:

Greatest cumulative score.
    Greatest winning margin.
    Most tries scored.

Now it's hard to argue with those stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I thought D'arcy was very poor today. BOD switched sides with him a couple of times today and looked much better than Darce.

Our best 13 is now also our best 12. This is not a good position to be in.

Clegg wrote: »
    Agreed.

Defensively Leinster were terrible in the first half last year. It was a great comeback but this years performance was more complete in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Quint2010 wrote: »
    I was calling Leinster's the final performance the greatest ever because of 3 things:

Greatest winning margin.
    Most tries scored.

It's hard, but a troll could give it a good try.

I'd like to see Kearney work on his one on one defense during pre season next year

Looked a but at see again today in the first half when Beck picked up that loose ball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

anywhere i can get the highlights? just in from a 12 hr shift and missed this :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Fair play to the Ospreys. Can't help but feel that we left that on the field.

Poite his usual atrocious self. Every game he refs turns into the Romain Poite show, he is very like Nigel Owens in that respect except Owens is actually competent.

This...
    Horgan is awfully bitter.

this...
    maddragon wrote: »
    Wales are best international team in Europe and Ospreys must be the best club team. To win away against Leinster!

and the other usual bitter comments were expected.

Find some class lads, if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Ospreys have the shown the way forward for all other clubs. Lost a lot of players and still came roaring back. Hopefully other clubs can emulate them and make the league more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

GAH! What a game, but what a pisser.

Can't deny Ospreys are a superb team, the Threepeat over the Best Darn Rugby Club Team Ever(tm). and a fitting end to Shame Williams career.

there's always next year for the Historic Double :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Gutted for the loss as I think Leinster deserved to stand out even more after a fantastic season.

I would never begrudge the Ospreys the title on the day. Like Glasgow a few weeks back they really took the game to Leinster from a physicality point of view. Delighted for Shane Williams too; what a player. Now there's a player still playing at international standard despite retiring (hint, hint)!

I think Poite was making up for the disaster before half time. Also, Ospreys were miles offside at every ruck during Leinster's last attack. If he had the balls to bin White with 8 mins to go he should have had the same cojones to award Leinster a penalty at the end.

It's a measure of where Leinster are that each and every player and the coach is distraught at not coming away with the win. You just know they'll be hungrier next season.

Please, please can we get Brad Thorn back next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭TomLamp

the intial annoyance at losing has subsided. The complete anger with Poite for his inept refereeing has not. While he was bad for both sides, his bad decisions for Leinster had a direct bearing on the result.

That said Leinster should have been good enough to beat that team anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Quint2010 wrote: »

Greatest winning margin.
    Most tries scored.

Not trolling, not taking anything away from Leinsters win and accepting all of the above, I honestly enjoyed todays game more. As a neutral. I didnt think this years HC final was a brilliant game to watch to be honest. Leinster 100% deserve all the plaudits but I thought as a game of rugby, it wasn't amazing.

Each to their own though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭phog

While I didn't see the game I followed it on twitter while watching Limerick go down to Tipp in the hurling, I really felt for Leinster, they deserved to do the double this year, they owned the league and were back to back H/cup winners, a win today would have been the icing on the cake for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

What a game.

Fair play to Ospreys, they wanted to win that match more than any team I've seen in a long time, their ferocity and workrate was just about matched by Leinster and it made for an absolutely cracking match. In the end, the greater freshness of the Ospreys probably swung it for them, playing in that sort of heat at that tempo must have been seriously draining for the players and the injuries to Healy, O'Brien and Boss robbed Leinster of a lot of their real impact (not to mention playing 20 minutes with 14 men).

Poite is getting a lot of stick but I think it's a bit of a cop-out to blame him for the result; van der Merwe's sin-bin was fair enough, White's looked extremely harsh but Leinster should have had another player binned in the first half when the Ospreys got that intercept, so swings and roundabouts.

I thought Shane Jennings was awesome today, Reddan was very good too. One player I was disappointed in was Sexton, thought he failed to control the game or really get any sort of rhythm into the play. Good show from Kev McLaughlin too, very timely ahead of the NZ tour.

What about Shane Williams though? An absolute legend of the game, a fitting end to his fantastic career, two tries in his last ever game. What? He's playing again next weekend? Oh, I see... The Ospreys are going to be a serious team next season if they can build on this sort of showing; they have serious talent in Webb, Tipuric and Beck and they really play like a team, something that maybe didn't happen when they had all their star names.

So on balance, I don't think we can b*tch too much about the outcome, a victory for either team would have been a fair result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Are highlights being shown anywhere? Missed the game

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Gutted, absolutely gutted ( also sunburnt and drunk). Truthfully I do think the lose does tarnish the season, they needed to close it out especially after the talk of building a dynasty. Ospreys deserved the victory and fair play to them for winning 2 in 3 and away from home.

That all said it has been a fantastic season for Leinster and as such I have no voice from shouting in support of them.

So to Leinster, thank you. It's been immense and see you next year, however I won't have a season ticket next year which is slightly deprresing

I agree with you, great season from Leinster but Ospreys thoroughly deserved this win

we all know poite is an erratic referee, both teams can point to strange decisions that went against them - having a player sinbinned doesn't lose you a game, failing to tackle shane williams as he closes in on your line loses you games and my god dan biggar - what a pressure conversion that was - hats off to you young man

Leinster have been outstanding and this could well help to fuel further achievements from the team as there's nothing like a bitter last-minute defeat to motivate you

furthermore this defeat could also mean the hyperbole and various wild claims made about the team from fans may ease off a tad which can only be a good thing

but all in all a great away win by ospreys who seem to be leinster's bogey team, beating them three times this season, a fantasic game of rugby - all the talk of finishing top of the league is utter nonsense, everyone knows the rules of the competition at the start of the year, if you want to complain do it at the start of the season not after you have been outplayed in the final

having said all that, regardless of today's result, leinster have had an outstanding season but claims they are out of sight of everybody else are just plain ignorant

best teams in europe are leinster, clermont, toulouse, quins and ospreys and leinster are top at the moment but the gaps between all these sides are not so big as some might have you believe as proved by results between them being decided by stuff like balls not being grounded properly and sideline conversions

no doubt leinster are top dogs in europe right now but there are five or six within shooting distance

Advertisement