Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Evil200km - 9th of June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

colm_gti wrote: »
    If anyone is stuck for parking I have a couple of spare road permits for my road in rathgar I'm willing to donate, it's about a 15 minutes cycle from the start point.

I'm debating whether to do this or the club spin on Saturday, don't think I'm sick enough to join you guys...

your a racer you wouldnt be up for the sedate pace of this 200km, gOg il be doing a rouite around 120km myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

My preparation is going well. Right now I am feeling slow, weak, and my back hurts a lot just standing and walking around.

Consequently this ride seems like something that might permanently cripple me.

I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Gasco

daragh_ wrote: »
    I'll be there. Forecast is for some rain afaik. Anyone any word from the Weather Gods?

Bright but cool early on, showers from mid - morning, but nothing too troublesome. Westerly breeze, again nothing too troublesome. Starting off about 9 degrees, might hit 16 or 17.

I can say "nothing too troublesome" because I will be sitting on my couch.

Look forward to your tales of pain and suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

@AstraMonti Do standard Boards spin rules apply? Wait for the weak at the top of climbs?:D:D

This sounds like a most excellent rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I don't think we can follow the rule, as it's going to be a loooong painful day on the saddle. The pace will be slow though (at least I will be going slow), survival-mode on from the first kms. I just hope we will be back before we need lights :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Gasco wrote: »
    Look forward to your tales of pain and suffering.

You always say that. :D

colm_gti wrote: »
    I'm debating whether to do this or the club spin on Saturday, don't think I'm sick enough to join you guys...

1234525508_ben_stiller_-_do_it.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I don't think we can follow the rule, as it's going to be a loooong painful day on the saddle. The pace will be slow though (at least I will be going slow), survival-mode on from the first kms. I just hope we will be back before we need lights :p

i also dont think we can follow the rule, its going to be a long long day, longer for some than for others. We can try regroup at laragh for lunch maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I don't think we can follow the rule
    Don't worry I won't be going too far, maybe bail around Roundwood. Should be able to keep up till then.
    If I did the full route and you waited for me,you'd be ringing work on Monday morning telling them you can't make it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

manafana wrote: »
    your a racer you wouldnt be up for the sedate pace of this 200km, gOg il be doing a rouite around 120km myself.
    If I make it out and need a bail out it'd probably be something like this, although that's still 160km door-to-door for me (take off about 20km total from Dundrum)! Thankfully the climbing is halved anyway if you head home from Laragh over Sally Gap. (I'm assuming mapmyride is as accurate as ridewithgps!)

• Advertisement

A stubborn 29yr old and two whips got the better of my lower back yesterday and then stupidly hitting the hills afterwards didn't help matters much.
    My back is still in bits today so I'm ruling myself out for Saturday.

That's a 29yr old block and chain whips.:D

thats a pity taxman, i was looking forward to updating you on the harry quinn and my plans for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

CramCycle wrote: »
    Won't actually be able to make it out though, told the missus I was heading out, she has said no, I asked why not, apparently we have a marriage "preperation" course, and by we, I mean she has one because she wanted it, now I have to keep schtum and attend because she wanted it, noticing a pattern here :(

Given that marriage preparation courses are about learning to compromise you'll have something to talk about on the day. Whose hierarchy of needs take precedence?

After many years of marriage my other half is being booted out the door on Saturday morning to participate. He's got my full support.:D

lennymc wrote: »
    thats a pity taxman, i was looking forward to updating you on the harry quinn and my plans for it.

Well I'll see how I feel tomorrow. Pain not as bad as last night. If I'm pain free on Friday I might come out for a much shorter spin.:)

Given that marriage preparation courses are about learning to compromise you'll have something to talk about on the day. Whose hierarchy of needs take precedence?

After many years of marriage my other half is being booted out the door on Saturday morning to participate. He's got my full support.:D

Does this mean you'll magically appear at the top of some of the hills with chocolate treats?

the weather is supposed to be somewhat reasonable tomorrow.

I hope so.. I 've no interested of being wet for 12hours..

I hope so.. I 've no interested of being wet for 12hours..

http://uk.weather.com/weather/hourByHour-Wicklow-EIXX0049?dayNum=1&flag=0

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I see the same outbreak of Fairweather Freddism that decimated the boards Tour of Louth contingent is raring its ugly head again. I don't want to be standing under Dundrum Bridge trying to stay dry on my own in the morning :D

come hell or high water (bothof which are extremely likely given the current weather) i will be there, and i will be cycling 200 + km tomorrow in wicklow (says he safe in the knowledge that the weather WILL be nice :))

• Advertisement

giving the fact theirs been probably near a months rain in 2days, any chance some roads might be flooded on the route?

• Administrators Posts: 53,379 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

giving the fact theirs been probably near a months rain in 2days, any chance some roads might be flooded on the route?
    If there's flooding anywhere it'll be Dundrum at your start location I think as thats basically at the bottom of a hill.

Didn't see anything when I left the house today.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Have you seen the route profile? There might be waterfalls, not floods.

Can someone put the route into his Garmin just to be safe? I sold mine and the 800 hasn't arrived yet. I might get a hold of another but not 100% sure.

Lumen wrote: »
    Have you seen the route profile? There might be waterfalls, not floods.

you do know the bottom of climbs can flood (valleys) iv seen plenty roads with dips and flooded roads in this weather might be ok given the lower water levels this summer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

you do know the bottom of climbs can flood (valleys) iv seen plenty roads with dips and flooded roads in this weather might be ok given the lower water levels this summer anyway.

It'll be fine, all the D4 girls report that Dundrum Town Centre is open, Zara is doing business and their "cors" have not been destroyed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Can someone put the route into his Garmin just to be safe? I sold mine and the 800 hasn't arrived yet. I might get a hold of another but not 100% sure.

Wait, does this mean you're going to ride 200km+ of extreme hilliness, and you're not even going to record it via GPS? How will you put it on Strava?! :eek: Won't somebody please think of the KOMs?!

buffalo wrote: »
    Wait, does this mean you're going to ride 200km+ of extreme hilliness, and you're not even going to record it via GPS? How will you put it on Strava?! :eek: Won't somebody please think of the KOMs?!

Lol.. I only put a fraction of my rides in Strava and I doubt we will be going for any records tomorrow!

That's a shame. I've just picked up a 705 meself, and it's deadly :D

Yes, I've put the route in. Still working on which button does what.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Lol.. I only put a fraction of my rides in Strava and I doubt we will be going for any records tomorrow!

That distance and altitude gain is a record in itself :eek:

Remember, if it's not on strava it didn't happen....

Advertisement