Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Evil200km - 9th of June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

lads i have motto when it comes to cycling

"i dont mind going up s*** roads, i dont like going down them"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

7am is fine by me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Loving this thread. Had been worried about the WW200 after finding it difficult for the first time last year. Now I'm kind of looking forward to it as a guilty little slackers day trip. Maybe the Mick Byrne 200 next year, and the evil in 2014, by which time I expect the jersey to be available at the mass start.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

Would be interested in this purely to get to know the roads. Not signed up for w200 as doing a 265k one day cycle from Dublin to cork the following Friday. Don't know any of u but i hope i'm not the worst company on a good or bad day. Could u confirm the start time and location closer to the day. May not do the whole lot as would need to be home mid afternoon.

Following the thread and like the idea or partaking in the inaugural evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rev

I might be crazy enough to attempt this. Even though I am absolutely sh!te at climbing.
    Planet X wrote: »
    Medium. Short sleeve. Full zip.
    Thanks.

I think if enough people do it, it would definitely be worth making a jersey for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

mother+of+god+meme.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I am good with whatever time the majority wants, I just thought the earlier we finish it the better as it's going to be a LONG long day in the saddle. Let's meet in the middle, how does 7:30am start sound?

Edit: Also because we have to mind ourselves we ll have to make stops to the shops to refill water, grab something to eat throughout the day so that will considerably slow us down as well if we are a fairly biggish group.

astra, i reckon someone should mark off at what distances their are places to stop on route, for food water etc, i was up towards gap today, and found one stream i knew wasnt flowing with the hot weather.

I will probably do some course not sure i have time for 200km at weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Streams? I'm not Bear Grylls, I get water from a tap. Do we have to eat the wildlife too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    Streams? I'm not Bear Grylls, I get water from a tap. Do we have to eat the wildlife too?

I knew watching all that Bear Grylls would come in handy. He says that if we get stuck, it's ok to eat any slower cyclists. It's what they would want too I'm sure.

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I knew watching all that Bear Grylls would come in handy. He says that if we get stuck, it's ok to eat any slower cyclists. It's what they would want too I'm sure.

The slower the cyclist the better the eatin? surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Just my tuppence worth.
    While its great to see so many people interested in doing this, be under no illusion that this will be an extremely tough day in the saddle. Expect approx 10 - 12 hours cycling time, lots of time on your own, lots of climbing and generally lots of pain. The mick byrne 200 was tough, but the evil 200 has an extra 1000 metres climbing. The roads will not be marked, there will be no support (apart from friendly encouragment) and there should be an expectation that you will be self sufficient. Im estimating 12 hours total time (20 kmph average, with 2 hours for stops).

On the other hand, it will be great to finish it, and it will be nice to be able to say that you did (as someone else put it) one of the toughest spins in the country.

I cant wait! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Depending on numbers and abilities, I would suggest splitting into smaller groups so that people are riding with others of similar ability.

you also need find out where their are taps?

Yeah its no easy task and as was mentioned earlier some of the roads are pretty suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

41.8 - 42.8km is a freshly 'surfaced' road. A lot of loose chippings, it's more akin to a fireroad than a tarmac road at the moment. A better route here might be to turn right at the Ballinstoe GC cross roads, take the next left for Skirmish, and the next left again at Roundwood GC to take you down Slaughter into Newtownmountmental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

manafana wrote: »
    you also need find out where their are taps?

Yeah its no easy task and as was mentioned earlier some of the roads are pretty suspect.
    Don't think taps would be too big a deal? Still not sure if I want to punish myself with this, but assuming people have two bottles on a bike you'd hardly need to fill them both (if even?) 3/4 times during the day?

The route passes Newtownmountkennedy (50km), Rathdrum (70km), Laragh (100km / 170km) and I'm pretty sure there's a shop somewhere as you go around the lakes at Blessington, so never really more than 30km without passing a shop.

@ gog - i went through about 8 bottles last sunday. it was very warm tho.

False advertising, Dundrum to Dundrum is 210km! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Same here, drank about 5 litres...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

Should we bring Salt and Pepper?

• Advertisement

Should we bring Salt and Pepper?

ooh baby baby, ba ba ba baby.

Astramonti, we should get patches made up of your "Evil" logo and anyone who finishes can stitch it onto their boards jersey.

Ya know, like in football...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What happens to people caught sporting the logo who haven't earned it?

fat bloke wrote: »
    What happens to people caught sporting the logo who haven't earned it?

Well, that's ok you see, clearly they are just showing their support for those who did.

John Terry just tweeted, he can't make the cycle, but he will be there at the end to collect his patch and celebrate with us at the finish line.

i have attached the course file. I downloaded it from ridewithgps and copied it into the edge 500 courses folder, went into menu, training, courses (i think) and it was there. it loaded ok, but I have no idea how to use it :) Guess ill have to create a course and see how it works locally before trying to follow that one.

anyway, i have attached the file if anyone wants it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

lennymc wrote: »
    i have attached the course file. I downloaded it from ridewithgps and copied it into the edge 500 courses folder, went into menu, training, courses (i think) and it was there. it loaded ok, but I have no idea how to use it :) Guess ill have to create a course and see how it works locally before trying to follow that one.

Can you put up the ridewithGPS link if you have one, work is blocking the download, cheers or e-mail it to me if thats easier :D

had just logged off last night so didnt see your post cramcycle. Here is the link, if you click on export there is a link to a .tcx file, which you opy into the edge. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1201424

Maybe someone could design a sig-banner for completionists?

I won't use it IF I finish though, everyone has to know that Emily's love belongs to Dirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lennymc wrote: »

FWIW I did a similar thing but had to put the tcx into the New Files folder, not the Courses folder.

• Advertisement

I don't know if it has been fixed in a newer firmware update, but my only time using a course (Orwell sportive in 2010) on the Edge 500 caused the unit to crash (freeze, it didn't point me over a cliff).

It was a reported issue when the 500 was released. Can anyone confirm if it has been fixed?

Advertisement