Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Evil200km - 9th of June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Maybe someone could design a sig-banner for completionists?

I won't use it IF I finish though, everyone has to know that Emily's love belongs to Dirk.

Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Tutschel

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Few guys from the raid gang are (hopefully) going to do our own 200kms spin on the weekend w200 is on. The route is quite brutal taking more or less every lump around wicklow: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1201424

...The plan is to stop around the 100km mark for lunch in Laragh and then do another 100kms.

Thought I might share an alternative route (same starting place and same finish), but only following "better paved" roads. Also this route is attempting to avoid main roads to minimise interaction with motorised traffic as much as possible and avoided using the same section of road more than once. In particular the gap road from below Kippure to Lackin has been missed out as imho it is practically un-ridable without a full suspension mountain bike (unless pain and discomfort are your thing), but also included is Trooperstown hill. The first passage through Laragh is at roughly 100km.

Essentially it is a truncated version of a 260km version (incl. 5560m of climbing) I did back in July 2008 as a training spin for the Oetztaler cycle marathon I was preparing for at the time. That spin took me 13.5hrs saddle time or 16hrs including breaks.

Let me know what you think? http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1260838

...oh forgot to add, anyone needing more climbing can make a quick dash up Kippure mountain on the way by and likewise up Turlough hill at the Wicklow Gap!

Also a quick refuelling pointer, stops with shops are are pretty evenly spread out. They are at 69km (Lacken), 97km (Laragh), 130km (Rathdrum), 148km (Roundwood), 158km (Laragh), 199km (Enniskerry) and 207km (Stepaside). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Its quite evil enough already Tutschel, and I have to make it home before dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

That route is a cruel-ly difficult first trip to Sally Gap - up to Foxes only to go back to Rathfarnham and climb Stocking Lane and then to drop back down into that side valley before coming back up the other way. Ouch!

That said, bringing the climbing over the ~4,400 mark means it's like a half-Everest challenge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

this is next weekend isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Tutschel wrote: »
    Let me know what you think?

Thanks! I think I ll stick with the original (if the rest agree of course) as it takes few parts I prefer, like the full wall :D Will you be joining us?

@lenny, yes next saturday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks! I think I ll stick with the original (if the rest agree of course) as it takes few parts I prefer, like the full wall :D Will you be joining us?

Er Astra, if Tutschel says stuff is unrideable it's unrideable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Just to balance up...

I've ridden that road in both directions on a roadbike quite a few times in the last year. The direction that the evil 200 takes (from the lake towards the liffey) is the more rideable direction as the most broken up bits are climbed. I've done it with very little braking on the descents in that direction. Again, definitely not one for delicate wheels/rims/riders though. And I am a MTBer who uses a roadbike for training, so my attitudes may be somewhat more tolerant of poor road surfaces.

I still think the little link road down to Clara church is worse.

Both routes look great, but I think Tutschel's is the more Evil of the two :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

I'm going to have to pull outta this on the Sat but plan on doing it (or some of it at least) on Friday so if I survive I'll post a report. If anyone else who can't make it on Sat but is free on Fri (even for only a small part) fancies heading out I'll probably be on the road around 7am.

• Advertisement

I would love to join you guys, but unfortunately I have a stag doo on that weekend and have to do the WW200 the next day, so timing just not convenient this time. Next time though... :)

Ok I have updated the route to remove some surface-offensive roads and going through the same road twice.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1278238

Everyone's happy with this? Also are we ok with time? 7:45 gather and we go at 8:00.

its only 209.7 km. im not going unless its at least 210 km :)

looks good astramonti. Is there parking near there?

How many have we got for saturday?

I think parking is difficult around there, you can drive to me and park it outside my place, I am fairly close to the start (6-7k).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

I think parking is difficult around there, you can drive to me and park it outside my place, I am fairly close to the start (6-7k).

So that'll give you 215km lennymc! :D

buffalo wrote: »
    So that'll give you 215km lennymc! :D
    i make it 222km (assuming 6.5km each way to astramonti's place)· I can live with that. I hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

lennymc wrote: »

i will be their for start but cant do the 200km, il have see how much of route i can do before turning off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'll be there. Forecast is for some rain afaik. Anyone any word from the Weather Gods?

manafana wrote: »
    i will be their for start but cant do the 200km, il have see how much of route i can do before turning off.

I think we all going to be thinking that at some point hehe.gif
    Unless a couple of Audax guys appear who will loop it twice just for fun :p

• Administrators Posts: 53,379 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

lennymc wrote: »

You might get lucky and get parked in one of the housing areas around there (if you're allowed to do this).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

mmm, looking at new route it looks like id have duck out at 40km, might have to do the route myself another day too.

Hoping get back on bike tommorow after 4days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

My plan is to turn up for this, and ride the first part of it at least (thinking of heading home directly from Laragh via Glenmacnass but will see how I am on the day). Mind you, I have many plans, world domination amongst them, most of which have yet to come to fruition so this plan might not make it out of bed on Saturday morning!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Parking at mine along side roads, only 1km from the start.

Won't actually be able to make it out though, told the missus I was heading out, she has said no, I asked why not, apparently we have a marriage "preperation" course, and by we, I mean she has one because she wanted it, now I have to keep schtum and attend because she wanted it, noticing a pattern here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Would love to try it, but a fast-approaching trip to Poznan and abandoned wife/baby may impact on these plans! I think my current average pace would mean I wouldn't be left behind, but not too sure on the total distance/hills, regardless of what I've done in past. I'm liking the look of going as far as Laragh and then skipping the "double gap loop"! That'd be a nice 125km spin and a chance to learn lots of new roads/bills down to Rathdrum. Think I've done that pre Slieve Mann hill once before and it's a long old drag!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Ok I have officially secured my wife pass for this jolly in the Dublin Mountains. Could anyone familiar with the area give me a google maps link to the meeting point, and somewhere nearby I will be likely able to find a parking spot.

Much appreciated,

Inq

@ cramcycle, thanks for the offer, but im parking outside astras place.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Ok I have officially secured my wife pass for this jolly in the Dublin Mountains. Could anyone familiar with the area give me a google maps link to the meeting point, and somewhere nearby I will be likely able to find a parking spot.

Much appreciated,

Inq

http://goo.gl/maps/g3yo this is the start

I am not sure about parking around though, if you fancy paying you can always leave it inside dundrum shopping center.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Lots of parking in Rosemount round the corner: http://goo.gl/maps/HVES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

If anyone is stuck for parking I have a couple of spare road permits for my road in rathgar I'm willing to donate, it's about a 15 minutes cycle from the start point.

I'm debating whether to do this or the club spin on Saturday, don't think I'm sick enough to join you guys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

If I can drag my ass out of bed,I'll tag along for a while.
    @AstraMonti Do standard Boards spin rules apply? Wait for the weak at the top of climbs?:D:D

Advertisement