Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Evil200km - 9th of June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Just want to clarify that this is not an official spin of any sort, I just created this route on my own and everyone is on their own to survive it, no broomwagon, no mechanic and no organized food stop, we ll just eat everything in the hippy cafe. Also you won't get any medals at the end, you ll get a kudos though in Strava :D

Again everyone with good fitness is welcome to come along.

g0g you can put the course into your garmin no problem at all and it will guide you turn by turn.

is that not on the garmin 800 rather than the 500

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Both can do it, 800 is just more visual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAEM26w0bgg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

AstraMonti wrote: »
    no broomwagon, no mechanic and no organized food stop, we ll just eat everything in the hippy cafe.

No Support, no crappy sandwiches, no cold pasta...

What will people whinge and bitch about? Apart from the hills obviously.

I'm VERY tempted to skip the W200 and do this instead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I might make it along to this madness too, though for the first half only most likely. Mind you the challenge of getting myself out the door that early on a Saturday morning might prove beyond me, whatever about the ride itself.

Now with a logo thanks to daragh_!

Evil_200.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Medium. Short sleeve. Full zip.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Would certainly pose a different challenge than the W200. How many do you reckon will be going? The W200 ends up being mostly small groups anyway.

What is the plan for waiting? Obviously you can't be waiting around for ever but maybe 5 minutes (or whatever) for the lead riders at some predetermined points. If you miss them, well you're on your own. Not many, maybe each 75k or something. Maybe the Laragh stop covers this, just an idea. I assume anybody brave/stupid enough to take this on is well capable of looking after themselves anyway

Can't say whether I can make it yet, group of us had planned on W200 so will need to check but this certainly sounds interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What is the plan for waiting?

This event is well into audax territory as I understand it. Audaxers don't wait for each other, mostly because standing at the side of the road is a waste of time.

If you get dropped you're on your own. If you want backup, call yer mammy. That would be my suggestion, anyway.

Despite this groups will tend to form and unform.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Lumen wrote: »
    This event is well into audax territory as I understand it. Audaxers don't wait for each other, mostly because standing at the side of the road is a waste of time.

If you get dropped you're on your own. If you want backup, call yer mammy. That would be my suggestion, anyway.

Despite this groups will tend to form and unform.

What good will that do, she is even worse on the uphills than I am!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Maybe it's just you have a slightly better bike ;)

505281188492267.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I am tentatively willing to offer a backup service of sorts if it's thought to be necessary. Though without spending the day wandering around the wicklow hills, I'm not sure how much use I can be. And since you can bail whenever you want, a broomwagon seems a bit silly.

I also have no means of storing large quantites of tea & coffee nor procuring large amounts of biscuits.
    Plus the route is pretty well laid out such that you could take two well deserved tea breaks in Laragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Never underestimate the power of the Irish Mammy. Out with her trusty iron (with frayed flex lovingly and carelessly made "safe" with twine and sellotape by the Irish Daddy), a damp cloth, some mutterings about the folly of the current generation, and she'll have ironed those hills flat as a pancake in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

What are the numbers for this so far. I hope the weather is as good as it is at the moment. Will never forget last years WW200. Worst weather ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Lumen wrote: »
    If you get dropped you're on your own.

This is appropriately in keeping with the "evil" moniker.

Echo pp's weather hopes. Thoughts of last year still make me want to assume the foetal position, which is ironically similar to the Shay Elliot 34:25 in the 4 degree pis$ing rain position

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Why does all the fun stuff have to happen after I move out of Dublin?

fat bloke wrote: »
    This is appropriately in keeping with the "evil" moniker.

Echo pp's weather hopes. Thoughts of last year still make me want to assume the foetal position, which is ironically similar to the Shay Elliot 34:25 in the 4 degree pis$ing rain position

I cuda done a pp on the bike that day and no one would have been any the wiser it was that bad. Going down the Shay Elliot and rain burning my eyes if I didn't have glasses on, if I did I couldn't see. Had em half on half off eventually I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What sort of pace are you intending going at? or will we make a couple of groups aiming for a diff avg? I'd really like to do this, but I don't fancy it without some company to share the misery with!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

im aiming for about 20 kph. slow, but steady.

lennymc wrote: »
    im aiming for about 20 kph. slow, but steady.

I did the wicklow 200 at 23kph last year and am in better shape now, so that's definitely a pace I could run with.

i did the mick byrne today at 22 something, but im planning on doing both the evil and the wicklow, so will really be taking it handy. I hope :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Are you guys talking average including or excluding stops? What sort of moving speed would you average?

g0g wrote: »
    Are you guys talking average including or excluding stops? What sort of moving speed would you average?

Thats the moving speed. Not the avg including stops I would assume. Its a reasonably sedate pace but the 4k of climbing will still ensure sore limbs the next day! When Lenny will be tackling the WW200 while we put our feet up!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Anyone who doesn't bonk will be forced to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Nice route. I'd never cycled to Newtownmountkennedy, so on Saturday I set out to do roughly the first half of the route to see what it was like (I'd be overfamiliar with the rest). stuck to the route as far as Greenane, then road straight up the Glenmalure valley (bypassed Slieve Mann), stopped for an icecream at the shop near the crossroads, and went straight back to Dublin from there via the Shay Elliot and Glenmacnass/Sally Gap. That took a little under 7 hours including stops. Pace was moderate, but enough to have my partner bonking heading back up past Glenmacnass.

So to do the full route is definitely a mighty fine big day out. Would love to join in the boards group, but have a running race that day.

The big warning I'd have for anyone unfamiliar with the route is that some of the roads in the first half are in unbelievably bad condition. I was laughing out loud at how bad the little link road near Tiglin is. Good fun to blast it at speed though. The road down to Clara church is grand if you're a mountainbiker, but I can imagine it reducing fussier cyclists to quivering wrecks. Definitely not a route for race wheels.

I think we need to start earlier. If MB200 took an average of 9,5 hours rolling time with the stops and everything we can be looking at least 13hours on the road. How would people feel about a 7am start?

how long will we be stopping for? dont want to stop too long or we will get cold and stiff. Its bright until 9 or so, so 13 hours would be 9 o clock. I think id rather an extra hour in bed and start at 7.45 than start at 7, but i will go with the majority.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I live right beside the start so am happy with either but in the grand scheme of things, the earlier I am home to my missus, the nicer my Saturday evening will be.

ive a 50 mile drive to the start :(

sure we will all be flying by then :)
    Based on yesterday, Will the extra thousand metres climbing take an extra 3 hours?

Enduro wrote: »
    Nice route. I'd never cycled to Newtownmountkennedy, so on Saturday I set out to do roughly the first half of the route to see what it was like (I'd be overfamiliar with the rest). stuck to the route as far as Greenane, then road straight up the Glenmalure valley (bypassed Slieve Mann), stopped for an icecream at the shop near the crossroads, and went straight back to Dublin from there via the Shay Elliot and Glenmacnass/Sally Gap. That took a little under 7 hours including stops. Pace was moderate, but enough to have my partner bonking heading back up past Glenmacnass.

So to do the full route is definitely a mighty fine big day out. Would love to join in the boards group, but have a running race that day.

The big warning I'd have for anyone unfamiliar with the route is that some of the roads in the first half are in unbelievably bad condition. I was laughing out loud at how bad the little link road near Tiglin is. Good fun to blast it at speed though. The road down to Clara church is grand if you're a mountainbiker, but I can imagine it reducing fussier cyclists to quivering wrecks. Definitely not a route for race wheels.

Not liking sound of that. Could you compare it with something in North County Dub to give me an idea?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not liking sound of that. Could you compare it with something in North County Dub to give me an idea?

Better than the road at St.Margarets before it was re done last year. How much better is open to interpretation.

Advertisement