Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I have a post-Christmas date arranged with an absolute stunner. I'm a bit apprehensive as she might think she's out of my league or whatever but I hope that being a nice, pleasant person might count for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I have a post-Christmas date arranged with an absolute stunner. I'm a bit apprehensive as she might think she's out of my league or whatever but I hope that being a nice, pleasant person might count for something.

No such thing as 'out of my league.' We all have different tastes and different ideas of what is attractive to us.

Chin up, head high and charm the pants off of her! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    No such thing as 'out of my league.' We all have different tastes and different ideas of what is attractive to us.

Chin up, head high and charm the pants off of her! :D

Exactly! I think if a guy or girl thinks they are out of someone's league etc. the other person will sense the insecurity and well, that's not attractive to anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Ah don't be thinking like that you did the hard bit and got her to agree to a date so when you do take her out just enjoy it . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

molly09 wrote: »
    yes I would think there will be more logging on in the new year also

Has anyone every tried dating agency like "Twos company"

I was going to give it a go but it may be just another waste of money

anyone tried it?

Yeah I did. Joined last july and heard feck all since :rolleyes:. Save your money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

D_murph wrote: »

Yeah I did. Joined last july and heard feck all since :rolleyes:. Save your money.
    Thanks for the reply, can I ask how much it costs and did you get any dates?
    How is it so bloody difficult to meet a guy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

As others have said, there's no such thing as 'out of your league', this girl clearly sees some potential in you, so go on the date, enjoy it and her company and don't treat her like she's on a pedestal. Let other guys fawn over her like idiots - you can be the guy who has the self confidence and charm to just enjoy her as a person, not a pretty trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

molly09 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, can I ask how much it costs and did you get any dates?
    How is it so bloody difficult to meet a guy

You realise there is a multitude of people on this thread posting pretty much the exact same thing, just substituting girl for guy depending on their preference!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

As others have said, there's no such thing as 'out of your league', this girl clearly sees some potential in you, so go on the date, enjoy it and her company and don't treat her like she's on a pedestal. Let other guys fawn over her like idiots - you can be the guy who has the self confidence and charm to just enjoy her as a person, not a pretty trophy.

Spot on. I went on a couple of dates with a model, Rose of Tralee type in the summer, I treated her like I would anyone else, just had the laughs and enjoyed her company. Just a pity the connection wasn't really there (it could have been, if she'd given it more of a chance though).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

riveratom wrote: »
    Spot on. I went on a couple of dates with a model, Rose of Tralee type in the summer, I treated her like I would anyone else, just had the laughs and enjoyed her company. Just a pity the connection wasn't really there (it could have been, if she'd given it more of a chance though).

That's the first time I seen Model and Rose of Tralee used to describe the same type of woman! No offense to any Roses but it's more of a 'Lovely Girls' competition than a modeling competition. They are all obviously good looking and above average but models are in a different league.

• Advertisement

mood wrote: »
    That's the first time I seen Model and Rose of Tralee used to describe the same type of woman! No offense to any Roses but it's more of a 'Lovely Girls' competition than a modeling competition. They are all obviously good looking and above average but models are in a different league.

Mmm, you didn't see this girl though mood ;) Maybe not a typical model-type, but as close as you can get to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

hollypink wrote: »
    10 years. I'm not normally too bothered by age gaps but 10 years is a lot I think. Anyway we'll see.

Had a really enjoyable evening but TBH the age gap was a bit of an issue, or maybe it's being at different life stages, which is related to age. It is nice being on a date at Christmas, it's that festive feeling!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Had a really enjoyable evening but TBH the age gap was a bit of an issue, or maybe it's being at different life stages, which is related to age. It is nice being on a date at Christmas, it's that festive feeling!

Do you reckon you will see each other again even just for beers and to hang out? (sorry, that sounds very 'american' :P)

That's it... make the rest of us jealous!! (conveniently forgetting he had a date on Friday night!!:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

That's it... make the rest of us jealous!! (conveniently forgetting he had a date on Friday night!!:D)

Ah now, I haven't been on a date in ages (and probably won't be on one for ages again!), so no need for jealousy! :p
    miamee wrote: »
    Do you reckon you will see each other again even just for beers and to hang out? (sorry, that sounds very 'american' :P)

I'm not sure if that would be a good idea, but maybe.

Ah now, I haven't been on a date in ages (and probably won't be on one for ages again!), so no need for jealousy! :p

I'm not sure if that would be a good idea, but maybe.

My friday date was a date-fail too, so mutual commiserations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

My friday date was a date-fail too, so mutual commiserations!!
    At least you went on a date...mine asked did I want to go to a gig...I said yes. Few days later he thought 'i didn't want to go" and went to the gig with someone else!!!! I was looking forward to it and all...he wanted to rearrange but if the communication is that bad in the beginning it can only get worse

At least you went on a date...mine asked did I want to go to a gig...I said yes. Few days later he thought 'i didn't want to go" and went to the gig with someone else!!!! I was looking forward to it and all...he wanted to rearrange but if the communication is that bad in the beginning it can only get worse

You said yes so he obviously knew you wanted to go. i would get rid of him if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sounds like he found someone 'better'. It pisses me off when people throw perfectly good dates away when a lot of people can't even get a poxy reply most of the time.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Sounds like he found someone 'better'. It pisses me off when people throw perfectly good dates away when a lot of people can't even get a poxy reply most of the time.

Yes. I got cancelled on twice with no attempt to reschedule. I was obviously given made up excuses. Magneticimpulse really don't communicate with this guy any more.

• Advertisement

mood wrote: »

You said yes so he obviously knew you wanted to go. i would get rid of him if I were you.
    I did...but in all fairness I did get dinner and drinks out of him on the 1st date...so at least it of sets it a bit. Definitely won't ever meet him again after he going to the comedy show with another date

He invited me out with the other person to the comedy show and to his birthday...so I don't think he met someone else...I think it was just him not being very bright...I once went out with a Dutch guy who had a similar personality...really nice but had no concept how to plan dates.

Also I spend ages ignoring the hi how are you msg. Then finally you find someone you'd email....then you go on 1st date...and very lucky to get that far...it's like winning the Loto if you make it to date 2.

Ah...it's a pity things didn't work out with the ex...would have been so much easier to just work on things. Of course im really happy to be single than with someone who doesn't appreciate me. It just annoys me he got with the 1st girl he went out with from OD after dating me and is over the moon an doesn't understand why I'm single...too bad he has never experience the cock photos emails etc...

Alot of people in relationships have absolutely no idea how crazy dating is...I've friends who got one bf and married them...they give me "advice"....but they never had disaster dates with guys who want to watch you pooh or join an s&m group to name but a few...they have not had 70 first dates that have been 100% unsuccessful.

I'm still motivated and I will have date 71 tomorrow...but surely it's not meant to be this difficult? Hence why my ex has no idea why what we had actually was great in my eyes...so much effort goes into just getting to date 1 let alone dating for 6 or more months

He invited me out with the other person to the comedy show and to his birthday...so I don't think he met someone else...I think it was just him not being very bright...I once went out with a Dutch guy who had a similar personality...really nice but had no concept how to plan dates.

Also I spend ages ignoring the hi how are you msg. Then finally you find someone you'd email....then you go on 1st date...and very lucky to get that far...it's like winning the Loto if you make it to date 2.

Ah...it's a pity things didn't work out with the ex...would have been so much easier to just work on things. Of course im really happy to be single than with someone who doesn't appreciate me. It just annoys me he got with the 1st girl he went out with from OD after dating me and is over the moon an doesn't understand why I'm single...too bad he has never experience the cock photos emails etc...

I must be picking it up wrong... He didn't invite you to a gig he was taking another girl to as well? I hoping he didn't and it was a night with a friend of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

The way to go to chat someone up in a supermarket.

On a serious note, it is really frustrating but if they're willing to do that well youre not exactly missing out are you.

blacklilly wrote: »

The way to go to chat someone up in a supermarket.

On a serious note, it is really frustrating but if they're willing to do that well youre not exactly missing out are you.

Getting chatted up in a supermarket is really creepy...especially if you still have lots of shopping to do and the person stalks you in the rest of the aisles. Not to mention you need to find a new supermarket if you get weirdos coming up...

The guy went mid week to the comedy gig instead of the weekend as we had planned. Fair enough he went to the gig another night with a "friend" but he never said why he couldn't meet up the night we had planned after I had gone and canceled plans with my friends. If he had simply said something like sorry I've the cancel I'm meeting family or whatever I might have reconsidered going out for his birthday but to not give a reason why you can't make it plus the comedy show took the biscuit..."sorry but goodbye you are the weakest link" haha

It annoys me reading on here complain about how hard guys find it to get a date, and how they think women have lots of success. From my experience guys just need one date and the likely hood is that she is nice...it's just whether she is a "model" or not that it comes down to. I think the quality of good looking smart women far outweighs the creepy self obsessed men and insecure guys.

For the girls we have to delete creepy cock emails and put up with guys arranging too many dates in the one week and getting so carried away with themselves. I really don't think OD is any easier for women.

I know I've said this before, but there are so many girls with the 'saurus' suffix in their usernames. They really should change that as it denotes masculinity. The female version is 'saura'.

It annoys me reading on here how hard guys find it to get a date, how women have lots of success. From my experience guys just need one date and the likely hood is that she is nice...it's just whether she is a "model" or not.

For the girls we have to delete creepy cock emails and put up with guys arranging too many dates in the one week and getting so carried away with themselves. I really don't think OD is any easier for women.

I have to say that the men you are describing sound like a very small minority here. From what I've been reading here most guys seem to send out lots and lots of mail but get virtually nothing out f it. I don't know who yhese guys are who are dating lots of women at once but I can tell you for sure that they are an exception rather than a rule.
    It strikes me that a small amount of men seem to be dating all the women (insert meme here). Probably the same way a percentage of women get 100s of mails while others get very little.

I have to say that the men you are describing sound like a very small minority here. From what I've been reading here most guys seem to send out lots and lots of mail but get virtually nothing out f it. I don't know who yhese guys are who are dating lots of women at once but I can tell you for sure that they are an exception rather than a rule.
    It strikes me that a small amount of men seem to be dating all the women (insert meme here). Probably the same way a percentage of women get 100s of mails while others get very little.

Girls are going to veer towards the good-looking guys who have decent profiles and send them witty/interesting emails....

Guys are going to do the same...

So it's probably the same as real life really. In fact, it's even more the case online, as the main thing to go in is a profile pic...

That doesn't mean it can't work though, I guess it's just a case of really taking it all with a pinch of salt as we said before. And then some day, you might get a bite from someone you really like..

From the guys I know...they might not get as many responses as me but the ye few they do are from very successful girlfriend material girls. Also they get more profile views than me. The women who contact them are good looking successful smart women in the 25 - 35 year old range.

On the other hand I don't get as many profile views but more emails. The emails I get are from 40 - 55 year olds who want to start a second family and want a young hot bit on the side to be seen in public with; or guys in their 30s with no top on, 99 profile photos of them taken in the mirror in the gym; or they use text speak and say "howya love wanna see my cock"....
    to get a nerdy educated guy is hard but I am definitely working my way one by one through the nice guys...sure they are there but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. Also a lot of girls I know would rather date a guy who has a bit of everything as oppose to just good looking. 6 packs etc would not interest me if the guy can't hold an interesting conversation. (male bimbos)

• Advertisement

What is it with men thinking they can get a women 15-20 year younger? It's crazy! I really think they are deluded and never meet anyone. Having said that I only go emailed by much older men a could of times and both knew they were chancing their arm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement