Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Piliger wrote: »
    Just back from town after being left waiting an hour waiting on a first coffee date woman to turn up............ :confused::confused::confused:
    Aw no, that's horrible! Very bad form :mad: Don't suppose there is a possibility that ye got your times/location mixed up?? Sorry dude, that's crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Im starting to see why people have a tag line of "Is there any nice normal people out there" after seeing Lynda'Mcl, Daveysil and Piligers update on there dates

Dosent cost anything to be polite or decent jeez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

Just back from town after being left waiting an hour waiting on a first coffee date woman to turn up............ :confused::confused::confused:
    Really bad form unless it was a mix up as I hope it was ... can happen eg meeting at mc Donald's in Grafton Street ( there's two! )
    Just brings me back to what I posted before about mobile numbers. If you are prepared to meet someone you should be prepared to swap numbers even if it only the day before the meetup. Personally I live an hour of so bus ride from the City Centre so I have texted to say I was leaving and cu there kinda thing. It reassures the girl that she won't be stood up!
    Hard luck again. Let us know if she makes contact. There are lovely ppl out there sometimes it just takes time ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

sffc wrote: »
    Really bad form unless it was a mix up as I hope it was ... can happen eg meeting at mc Donald's in Grafton Street ( there's two! )
    Just brings me back to what I posted before about mobile numbers. If you are prepared to meet someone you should be prepared to swap numbers even if it only the day before the meetup. Personally I live an hour of so bus ride from the City Centre so I have texted to say I was leaving and cu there kinda thing. It reassures the girl that she won't be stood up!
    Hard luck again. Let us know if she makes contact. There are lovely ppl out there sometimes it just takes time ;-)

I agree. What if someone gets lost or gets the directions wrong? I think its stupid not exchanging phone numbers before meeting someone for a date. Anything could happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

People don't exchange numbers before a date now???
    Bloody hell, I didn't think it was THAT long since I tried this O.D. thing.

To me, if I was getting on well with someone, swapping the numbers is a small thing. If the lady doesn't want to take my number or give hers, then that's a certain sign of it NOT going well. And I wouldn't dream of suggesting a meet up without numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

No mix up. Later contact confirmed a nasty evil b1tch :confused::confused::confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

No mix up. Later contact confirmed a nasty evil b1tch :confused::confused::confused:
    Holy moly, why would anyone do that on purpose??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Oh dear god. Watching an episode of Hell On Wheels I recorded on Friday, and just saw an ad for something called The Love Clinic.

A Life Coach, A Stylist and A Psychologist. Is it any wonder why people still look at O.D. with a certain amount of disdain when that sort of rubbish is being broadcast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

That's the worst thing with this online dating lark. You've expectations to try and meet. It's too much pressure. I'd rather just meet someone in a pub or a club, so they know what you're about from the get-go.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

dlofnep wrote: »
    That's the worst thing with this online dating lark. You've expectations to try and meet. It's too much pressure. I'd rather just meet someone in a pub or a club, so they know what you're about from the get-go.

I think the reason most people are on OD is because the above ideal scenario tends not to happen that often ;)

• Advertisement

riveratom wrote: »
    I think the reason most people are on OD is because the above ideal scenario tends not to happen that often ;)

Me neither dude, but still - the whole expectation thing is just too much pressure for me. I'd much prefer to take my chances in a pub or club. Just gotta work on building up the old confidence. My mantra is whatever you would give yourself out of 10 (Let's say 5), always act as if you're two points higher. That way, you're not being cocky - just confident. Confidence is really attractive to women and I find it's much easier to do it in a social environment like a pub, than somewhere quiet in a one on one scenario.

I dunno, I'm on that POF website anyway... But I don't really get that many messages on there, so I'm just not too bothered with it for the moment. A picture can only tell so much about you, and unless you're quite attractive - it's hard to sell yourself with a few pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

Me neither dude, but still - the whole expectation thing is just too much pressure for me. I'd much prefer to take my chances in a pub or club. Just gotta work on building up the old confidence. My mantra is whatever you would give yourself out of 10 (Let's say 5), always act as if you're two points higher. That way, you're not being cocky - just confident. Confidence is really attractive to women and I find it's much easier to do it in a social environment like a pub, than somewhere quiet in a one on one scenario.

I dunno, I'm on that POF website anyway... But I don't really get that many messages on there, so I'm just not too bothered with it for the moment. A picture can only tell so much about you, and unless you're quite attractive - it's hard to sell yourself with a few pictures.
    I'm guessing you are under 30 and have no baggage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

gatecrash wrote: »
    Oh dear god. Watching an episode of Hell On Wheels I recorded on Friday, and just saw an ad for something called The Love Clinic.

A Life Coach, A Stylist and A Psychologist. Is it any wonder why people still look at O.D. with a certain amount of disdain when that sort of rubbish is being broadcast!

Yeah I saw that add. What annoyed me most about it was the woman who said she had no difficulty meeting men, she had difficulty meeting the 'right' man. So they bring in life coachs and stylists to help her find someone who doesn't exist. :rolleyes: There's people out there who can't even get a date, let alone find the 'right' person. They're helping someone who already has a surplus of options.

I'm guessing you are under 30 and have no baggage?

30 in December... I have a dog if that counts. But no, no baggage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

How do ye get women to respond to on POF. I have tried many different types of messages but nothing. Im 25 and most girls i know seem to think I'm not too bad looking and my last 2 ex's we quite good looking, yet on POF I'm getting shot down, like no replies. I few viewed me but thats it.

I have specified that i'm looking for friends, is that my downfall?

Are you suggesting that online daters are low on confidence? :) To be honest, I'd give myself an 8.5, so by that logic I'd be over your limit ;)

As I said, the ideal scenario would be everyone out meeting people in bars and clubs - but out of the couples that you know, how many met in bars? I'm guessing not many, and certainly not most. OD allows you to meet a much wider pool of people who you would otherwise never meet. Just another avenue, I'd never rule out the traditional options either!

Are you suggesting that online daters are low on confidence? :) To be honest, I'd give myself an 8.5, so by that logic I'd be over your limit ;)

Go Tom, you big stud muffin ;) Nah I'm not at all. Just a personal anecdote. I found that when I thought higher of myself, I found it easier to engage with women.
    As I said, the ideal scenario would be everyone out meeting people in bars and clubs - but out of the couples that you know, how many met in bars? I'm guessing not many, and certainly not most. OD allows you to meet a much wider pool of people who you would otherwise never meet. Just another avenue, I'd never rule out the traditional options either!

Ah yeah - I just don't like the expectations thing.. It's really awkward when you first meet. Just not really for me I guess. Although in saying that, I've met a few girls through the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

ulinbac wrote: »
    How do ye get women to respond to on POF. I have tried many different types of messages but nothing. Im 25 and most girls i know seem to think I'm not too bad looking and my last 2 ex's we quite good looking, yet on POF I'm getting shot down, like no replies. I few viewed me but thats it.

I have specified that i'm looking for friends, is that my downfall?

Most likely. People aren't generally on dating sites to find friends.

Go Tom, you big stud muffin ;) Nah I'm not at all. Just a personal anecdote. I found that when I thought higher of myself, I found it easier to engage with women.

river-atom :) Ha no, not sure bout that now. I did get told I was an '8' once, that was nice.

Ah yeah - I just don't like the expectations thing.. It's really awkward when you first meet. Just not really for me I guess. Although in saying that, I've met a few girls through the internet.

Do you think it's awkward? Why is that? I don't see it as any different to meeting anyone new, wherever it may be. I guess the first few times it might be a little, but after a few first online dates, I just keep an open mind and expectations firmly on an even keel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

OD versus meeting-in-a-bar etc

The 'traditional' method for men:

You see a girl you like the look of.

You think: 'Great. She's just my type, I wonder what she's like? I wonder if she would be into me too?'

Then, if you're feeling a rare shot of confidence coursing through the veins, feeling lucky and/or have drank enough, you might, just might, pluck up the courage to approach her. (Mostly, though, you don't bother and feel sorry for yourself afterwards, but that's another story)

Maybe she doesn't give you the instant bored brush-off and chats for a bit. Okaayyy...

A glimmer of hope.., before the kicker, usually beginning with the words: "Oh, my boyfriend says..." So all that nervousness and whatnot invested in a delicate situation has been a waste of time, mostly.

It might work for 'young' people with a surplus of chat and confidence but that's not for me personally. I seem to give off a better 'vibe' over a quiet drink or a coffee, although still working on that too.

At least with OD, you know that the girl is single (well, in theory) and that she likes you at least a wee bit to agree to a date.

Plus I can negotiate all this minefield while slumped on the sofa at home.

*Sorry it's Sunday night and I'm fed-up.

• Advertisement

OD versus meeting-in-a-bar etc

The 'traditional' method for men:

You see a girl you like the look of.

You think: 'Great. She's just my type, I wonder what she's like? I wonder if she would be into me too?'

Then, if you're feeling a rare shot of confidence coursing through the veins, feeling lucky and/or have drank enough, you might, just might, pluck up the courage to approach her. (Mostly, though, you don't bother and feel sorry for yourself afterwards, but that's another story)

Maybe she doesn't give you the instant bored brush-off and chats for a bit. Okaayyy...

A glimmer of hope.., before the kicker, usually beginning with the words: "Oh, my boyfriend says..." So all that nervousness and whatnot invested in a delicate situation has been a waste of time, mostly.

It might work for 'young' people with a surplus of chat and confidence but that's not for me personally. I seem to give off a better 'vibe' over a quiet drink or a coffee, although still working on that too.

At least with OD, you know that the girl is single (well, in theory) and that she likes you at least a wee bit to agree to a date.

Plus I can negotiate all this minefield while slumped on the sofa at home.

*Sorry it's Sunday night and I'm fed-up.

You're forgetting crowded bars, too-loud music, a group of friends surrounding the girl you're interested in, etc, etc....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

So I was online dating before... few funny dates..

Gave up... as you do..

Caved.. Joined up again last friday..

I decided this time I wasn't going to try and be nice and try to reply to all messages, it just got me down feeling like I was being a cow and then getting abuse if I said they weren't my type.

So I haven't replied to any that I didn't fancy the look of them or didn't respond to the usual "Hi how are you?" so by being a cow and ignoring most messages I filtered out a lot of mails.

Just back from date tonight.. a glimmer of hope, he is gorgeous and I got a kiss..

Sorry to hear about the yucky stories from others but I've a kinda good feeling about this one..

Only hesitation is, he is 8 years younger than me?

Scary or wha?

DISCLAIMER: This may all go tits up in the next few days and I will eat the words above :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I've been messaging someone from pof for a few weeks now and he had suggested going on a date which I agreed to. He seemed nice and we had a good bit in common so I was feeling optimistic. I should have known when he was saying things like "I'll come back to you with a plan for the date", instead of just suggesting a day and time. I just got a message saying he'd met someone else from the site and after one date he felt it might go somewhere so that was that. He also said if it didn't work out and I was still on the site, he'd be in touch. All of which made me feel a bit lousy :( I know you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to online dating but it's not always easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

hollypink wrote: »
    He also said if it didn't work out and I was still on the site, he'd be in touch.

Sorry to hear that Holly. If he does - tell him to feck off! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

foxinsox wrote: »
    So I haven't replied to any that I didn't fancy the look of them or didn't respond to the usual "Hi how are you?" so by being a cow and ignoring most messages I filtered out a lot of mails.

This is something that pees me off a bit to be honest. If you meet someone in real life, and are introduced, the first thing you will say is "Hi, how are you?". Obviously, I have just been browsing women's profiles on POF :D but many of them won't reply to "hi, how are you". It appears they would prefer men to jump through hoops and come out with something unbelievably witty and profound in other to get a reply, which, if it happened in real life would just be odd....:pac:

seachto7 wrote: »
    This is something that pees me off a bit to be honest. If you meet someone in real life, and are introduced, the first thing you will say is "Hi, how are you?". Obviously, I have just been browsing women's profiles on POF :D but many of them won't reply to "hi, how are you". It appears they would prefer men to jump through hoops and come out with something unbelievably witty and profound in other to get a reply, which, if it happened in real life would just be odd....:pac:

I never respond to "hi how are you" messages either. It is not a real life introduction, it is a dating site. You have an entire profile full of things about the woman in question to read and ask her about. Presumably at least one of these is something you have in common with her or you like the sound of, which you could mention in your first mail without writing an essay.

Some guys will send a "hi how are you" to umpteen women who happen to be online, just because they are online - the real life equivalent of shouting "howye" at a roomful of women hoping one of them will talk to you afterwards :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

This is something that pees me off a bit to be honest. If you meet someone in real life, and are introduced, the first thing you will say is "Hi, how are you?".

That's a verbal conversation. You say "Hi, how are you?" to grab someone's attention as a prelude to starting a conversation. Two people standing next to each other have a wealth of information to evaluate.

You're dealing with a written medium where verbal rules and conventions don't apply. You can by all means start off a message with "Hi, how are you?" but it's expected that you put a bit of effort in to writing something that entices a response.

Let's extend your analogy into the online dating world. Girl walks into a room and 10 guys simultaneously shout "Hi, how are you!?" at her (plus one weirdo with his pants down leering) and all are expecting a response.

Women are no better with this and indeed some seem to feel they're doing you a favour just by writing "hi".

Whereas 99.9% of mails I get on POF from women are exactly that: "Hi, how are you?".

I totally disagree with you miamee. "Hi, how are you" is nothing like "howye". If I wanted to do something like that online I'd write something cheesey like "what's the craic" or "well, how's things".

sharper wrote: »

Women are no better with this and indeed some seem to feel they're doing you a favour just by writing "hi".

Now you said it. The majority of mails I have received off women on POF lack any imagination. I am polite enough to reply to all of them though. That's the difference. There are a lot of women who have dragged the way the "real world works in Ireland" into the online dating world, while at the same time want men to approach online dating different to real world dating... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyways, a pet peev.........

• Advertisement

Whereas 99.9% of mails I get on POF from women are exactly that: "Hi, how are you?".

I totally disagree with you miamee. "Hi, how are you" is nothing like "howye". If I wanted to do something like that online I'd write something cheesey like "what's the craic" or "well, how's things".

I think you are missing the point. Maybe sharper's analogy is better explained, though essentially the same :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement