Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Online Dating Thread 3..**READ 1ST POST Oct 2012**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm going with procrastinator having dated one for a while. Everything was put off until the last possible minute and only then if it was something that absolutely had to be done. Must have caught him on a good week as we met via OD too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Hello, you look nice!!

How did i do?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I was feeling the very same yesterday, but them Boom, out of the blue, two people message me at nearly the same time yesterday and i can honestly say they are really nice so far. I had the offer of a date tonight and only for im sick i would have went, the other hasnt asked yet, but yes i used the word yet!!! cause i know its heading there, he is just taking the slow route cause of something i said in my second reply to him.

Dont give up hope, honestly, be positive, change a few things like pics and info and see what happens. Chin up ;)

Thanks. You're right. I've just been having a bad couple of days coinciding with a real sense lately that I'm just banging my head against a wall with OD.
    miamee wrote: »
    Well a non-message will always get a non-reply :P It is disheartening though, I got a few nice messages from different guys during the week, took the time to respond to them all and...nada. Why'd they bother in the first place? The one I am least interested in keeps messaging me, that's all.

Thanks. Silly boys. Don't know what they're missin'.
    I'll be your spinster next door neighbour...no cats though

But they're really wonderful companions:pac:

people seem more frustrated with the online dating, its like theres more indecision in the whole process when they talk about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Date went terribly!!

He started telling me he had 'serious' feelings for me about 10 minutes in. Cue me getting extremely uncomfortable!

Date ended, he texted me saying he doesn't think he should see me again because he feels too strongly for me. :pac::pac::pac:

Cue me going to get a new tattoo!

So one good thing came of the date!

nyd6vq.jpg

• Advertisement

as a reminder of the date?
    is that on your arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm going with procrastinator having dated one for a while. Everything was put off until the last possible minute and only then if it was something that absolutely had to be done. Must have caught him on a good week as we met via OD too :)

Sent a message. Better? :)

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    Date went terribly!!

He started telling me he had 'serious' feelings for me about 10 minutes in. Cue me getting extremely uncomfortable!

Date ended, he texted me saying he doesn't think he should see me again because he feels too strongly for me. :pac::pac::pac:

Aw, too bad. Though just from here I know I'm crazy about you and as stated above have planned our whole life together. You clearly just have that effect on men. :pac:
    Hope your next date goes better if it's going to be a trend of getting a tattoo after every bad date.

Not as a reminder of the date, lol! I just had some free time before I was due to meet my mates 'cause I escaped early! And yes, it's on my arm.

Do you think now when you look at it, it will remind you of that date and the free time you had before meeting your mates?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Do you think now when you look at it, it will remind you of that date and the free time you had before meeting your mates?

:D

More a reminder of get out a date a.s.a.p. if the person is not the full shilling !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

So ArmaghMagic...are you seeing her again?!?

Not sure, haven't heard from her since last night :-(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Date went terribly!!

On a first date? Why would anyone do that? Even if you think he/she is the best thing since sliced bread, you don't tell them right away!! At least wait til the end of the first date, lol.
    That's a shame Lynda.

CastorTroy wrote: »

Sent a message. Better? :)
    Much :D

So ArmaghMagic...are you seeing her again?!?

Not sure, haven't heard from her since last night :-(
    Oh dear, well maybe she was busy with friends or something. Did you text/call since the date or waiting for her to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Dipped the toe back in the water last night. Reckon I'll last about a week before getting disillusioned! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

Jaypers Lynda, how did you hide your reaction when he came out with that?!

Or could you hide it?! Did he seem ok over emails and that beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MizzWolfie

I might have had my best first OD date ever on Friday.

I had a feeling I was going to like him, though he only had one distant picture up so it wasn't based on that. When he showed up I just liked him instantly, a lot more than anyone I've met via OD before. He was interesting and seemed nice and as the time went on I felt an attraction growing (hope it wasn't the alcohol :o). We agreed a second date before we left and had a nice little kiss.

The only possible downside is he seemed a teensy bit insecure. He was hinting to see if I liked him and stuff. But maybe he was just digging me and nervous :pac:

Date two Wednesday, stay tuned!

riveratom wrote: »
    Jaypers Lynda, how did you hide your reaction when he came out with that?!

Or could you hide it?! Did he seem ok over emails and that beforehand?

Hide it? I'm surprised he didn't see smoke coming from me as I ran by! :pac:

Nah, I just said 'look, you're nice but I think we're looking for different things. What you're looking for is way too serious, too soon.' He tried to pull back then, but I told him we'd better off just leaving it. :) Then the text. Then a call to Meteor to block his number (I love that they do that now!).

Then I left and got inked and drunk. :D

Very thorough Lynda! Pmsl. Probably should have done that on a few occasions myself (block a number after one date)

Very thorough Lynda! Pmsl. Probably should have done that on a few occasions myself (block a number after one date)

Yeah, probably a bit hasty, but in fairness, what am I supposed to do? Strong feelings for me on one date? It's clearly not gonna go anywhere so may as well bite the bullet and block. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭missrandomer

Yeah, probably a bit hasty, but in fairness, what am I supposed to do? Strong feelings for me on one date? It's clearly not gonna go anywhere so may as well bite the bullet and block. :)

You did right though, if he was that full on date 1, imagine the messages you would have got!

Is it easy to block a number now, ive never did it.

I had one of these guys in the making the other night. Seemed really nice, asked me out, i said yeah we could meet up at the weekend. Then it started, how we had a "connection" and "destined" to be, then pressure pressure pressure to meet up, even though i had said the weekend. He mails me at 4 in the morning with how he is thinking about me etc. Thank god i didnt meet up with him. He practically has us married.
    Stressfull going online, and the he pops up again. Block!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I went on a date today with a girl I met on OKC. We were planning on meeting next week but her plans changed and she asked me at the last minute if I wanted to meet for a coffee. Obviously I said yes and we arranged to meet in a café in town.

DISATER!!! She said in her profile she was 5’5. I’m 5’8 so I figured it would be fine. When she showed up she was much taller, about 5’11. She was clearly annoyed that I was shorter. “You’re not as tall as I thought you were” she said. I said “well you’re not as short as I thought you’d be,” telling her that her profile said 5’5. “Ohh I must have made a mistake” she said.

It was really awkward and after about 10 minutes into the date she just got up and said, “Sorry but this is not going to work” and walked off, leaving me to pay for everything. I couldn’t believe it. So rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I went on a date today with a girl I met on OKC. We were planning on meeting next week but her plans changed and she asked me at the last minute if I wanted to meet for a coffee. Obviously I said yes and we arranged to meet in a café in town.

DISATER!!! She said in her profile she was 5’5. I’m 5’8 so I figured it would be fine. When she showed up she was much taller, about 5’11. She was clearly annoyed that I was shorter. “You’re not as tall as I thought you were” she said. I said “well you’re not as short as I thought you’d be,” telling her that her profile said 5’5. “Ohh I must have made a mistake” she said.

It was really awkward and after about 10 minutes into the date she just got up and said, “Sorry but this is not going to work” and walked off, leaving me to pay for everything. I couldn’t believe it. So rude.

Jesus!

A classic example of a 'princess' wielding the bitch shield of unrealistic expectations. With that attitude she's going to be home alone for a long time.

I feel your pain, brother - but it's a bullet dodged.

You'd think if height was so important to her, she'd have made sure to get her own right. Interesting to know that men aren't the only ones to embellish their height, though she obviously went in the other direction. I'm short so it normally has no effect except that I wonder what else they made up on the profile.
    Leaving after 10 minutes and expecting you to pay was harsh though, Davey :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

That's a strange one Davey! Especially the mix up with the height.

Fair enough her saying she didn't think it would work out. No point dragging something out but pay your half of the bill! The cheek.

It's not even the bill that annoyed me. It would've been different if I was the one who made the mistake in my profile. Her walking off after 10 mins would have been more justified then, as she might have felt I lied to her. But I think she should have had the decency to see out the rest of the date, and if she still wasn't interested she could have told me then. I'm sure people have had dates where they didn't fancy the person or there was no spark or whatever, but that's no reason to be impolite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    It's not even the bill that annoyed me. It would've been different if I was the one who made the mistake in my profile. Her walking off after 10 mins would have been more justified then, as she might have felt I lied to her. But I think she should have had the decency to see out the rest of the date, and if she still wasn't interested she could have told me then. I'm sure people have had dates where they didn't fancy the person or there was no spark or whatever, but that's no reason to be impolite.

Totally agree.

The unfortunate truth is that, just like real life interactions in general, a hell of a lot of people using OD struggle with social skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Daveys - Yikes... cannot believe how rude she was!

In other news, ran across a couple of profiles today with very similar text:

"I would hate to bore you by telling you how wonderful I am by attaching to my name to a bunch of flattering adjectives. I am sure that you have already found this about two hundred times in all the other profiles..."

Decided to google it and got back over 200,000 results - turns out it was once used as an example of what to put in a 'good' online dating profile.... oh the irony... ;)

YumCha wrote: »
    Daveys - Yikes... cannot believe how rude she was!

In other news, ran across a couple of profiles today with very similar text:

"I would hate to bore you by telling you how wonderful I am by attaching to my name to a bunch of flattering adjectives. I am sure that you have already found this about two hundred times in all the other profiles..."

Decided to google it and got back over 200,000 results - turns out it was once used as an example of what to put in a 'good' online dating profile.... oh the irony... ;)

The copy & paste function is a marvellous thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Just back from town after being left waiting an hour waiting on a first coffee date woman to turn up............ :confused::confused::confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement