Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hit, other driver drove off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

djimi wrote: »
    Have you thought about going above the Gardas head on this one? Its pretty obvious that she has no interest in getting this sorted for you, so maybe a chat with her superintendant might get things moving along...
    How is it obvious? Things take time...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

endacl wrote: »
    How is it obvious? Things take time...

I agree things take time, but how hard would it have been for her to pick up the phone just to give an update, even if it was just to say she hasnt gotten around to it. This is obviously a low priority issue for her and is sitting at the bottom of her list of things to do. Understandable maybe, but it doesnt do much to help the OP, and a quick phone call would go a long way towards at least clarifying the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I hear Tom Hanks has just signed up to play the OP in the movie adaptation of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Jammyc wrote: »
    I hear Tom Hanks has just signed up to play the OP in the movie adaptation of this thread.

Will the car be called Wilson?

I agree things take time, but how hard would it have been for her to pick up the phone just to give an update, even if it was just to say she hasnt gotten around to it. This is obviously a low priority issue for her and is sitting at the bottom of her list of things to do. Understandable maybe, but it doesnt do much to help the OP, and a quick phone call would go a long way towards at least clarifying the situation.
    Or maybe just one thing on a long list of things to do? Bear in mind that her job is one where anything can happen at any time. A serious assault or RTA can easily eat a whole shift with nothing else being done, whatever the priority. Add to this the new shift patterns for the Guards, and it might easily be days before straightforward procedural stuff gets dealt with.

I agree totally that it must be frustrating for the OP, but he's really the only one in a position to feel frustration. The rest of us are just moral support providing bystanders.

Well-entertained bystanders though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

God I just want it to end, it's like reading a great book and finding that some sod has torn out the last 10 pages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Or maybe just one thing on a long list of things to do? Bear in mind that her job is one where anything can happen at any time. A serious assault or RTA can easily eat a whole shift with nothing else being done, whatever the priority. Add to this the new shift patterns for the Guards, and it might easily be days before straightforward procedural stuff gets dealt with.

agree totally here - it's a pain, but at least no-one was hurt and there was no major damage done. I want justice!!! but revenge is best served cold etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Sorry I've lost track a bit, why is it you have to deal with the guard, should the insurance company not be doing this and you communicate through them?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have to congratulate the OP on his patience and understanding of this situation. I really hope he gets full satisfaction out of this affair and that the person who caused all this upset is dealt with by the law.

I want to be the narrator in the film.

I want to be the narrator in the film.
    Do you sound like Morgan Freeman? That'd be cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I just read the whole thread (well, tbh posts and the most thanked other ones!)
    tbh wrote: »
    I think the other driver knows the jig is up, but if they say yeah, I did it, then they are admitting to knowingly driving away from an accident. So might as well just keep saying "it wasn't me" or, more recently "oh my gosh, did I do that?"

Can someone clear up something? If slagface (that's the name I'm giving the driver that hit you) says she didn't remember hitting you/didn't know she hit you, surely that makes zero difference, it's still hit and run and leaving the scene of an accident?

Do you sound like Morgan Freeman? That'd be cool.

I sound a bit like Tommy Freeman actually.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Can someone clear up something? If slagface (that's the name I'm giving the driver that hit you) says she didn't remember hitting you/didn't know she hit you, surely that makes zero difference, it's still hit and run and leaving the scene of an accident?
    Yep.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

pippip wrote: »
    Sorry I've lost track a bit, why is it you have to deal with the guard, should the insurance company not be doing this and you communicate through them?
    The other drive may well have been uninsured. Although the OP can make a claim against the MIBI, the OP will have to pay the excess (€300 I think) which they shouldn't have to.
    Also, if the other driver was not insured at the time (which looks increasingly to be the case), then not only did they break the law through a hit and run, they also broke the law by driving uninsured. Both are situations for garda intervention.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

TBH fair play to you for chasing this up.

I had something happen me about 6/7 years ago, driver slammed into the back of me and drove off.Got a partial reg but it was a done up civic so should have been easy to trace (Story is on Boards somewhere) but guards couldnt do anything until 6 months later when the fool was stopped at a red light in town and I crossed the road in front of him. Rang the guards and they took the proper reg (I was only out by a digit) and in the Super's own words they can be done for hit and run amonst other offences. Guards rang the owner and within 2 hours he was out to me with cash to sort my car out.
    I would ring the super if you dont get any joy from the guard you are dealing with because its criminal damage either way you look at it and the guards should be arresting them for failure to produce etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I just read the whole thread (well, tbh posts and the most thanked other ones!)

Yep.
    I am not suggesting for a second that it is the case here,, as the other driver parked, then immediately left the scene, obviously knowing they hit the OP`s car.

But if a driver (somehow) genuinely did not know they hit another car, then they would have no reason to be staying at the scene. It would not be knowingly committing a hit and run, or leaving the scene of an accident. It would be unlikely to unknowingly hit another car though, even if it was just a light bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I am not suggesting for a second that it is the case here,, as the other driver parked, then immediately left the scene, obviously knowing they hit the OP`s car.

But if a driver (somehow) genuinely did not know they hit another car, then they would have no reason to be staying at the scene. It would not be knowingly committing a hit and run, or leaving the scene of an accident. It would be unlikely to unknowingly hit another car though, even if it was just a light bump.

Does the fact that it was done either knowingly or unknowingly have any bearing on whether or not the incident is deemed to be a 'Hit and Run'? Sorry, don't know the law on this..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

But if a driver (somehow) genuinely did not know they hit another car, then they would have no reason to be staying at the scene. It would not be knowingly committing a hit and run, or leaving the scene of an accident.

What's known in legal circles as the Homer Simpson defence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

considering there is damage and paint transfer on TBH's car, we can assume that this is a bit more than a bumper rub.

That's leaving the scene of an accident AND a hit and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭i8mancs

tbh wrote: »
    What's really frustrating is that she seems to work for two days and then is gone for five.

Ye gotta love the Croke Park Agreement :D

• Advertisement

In fairness Robbie, how would you fail to notice hitting another car ?

In fairness Robbie, how would you fail to notice hitting another car ?

I was never suggesting the other driver did not notice it.

I was simply replying to paparazzo`s post, when he said that if the other driver did not notice, it would still be leaving the scene of an accident.

My point was, (and it clearly states that not noticing would seem unlikely), but that if a driver somehow does not notice damaging another car, they would not know they were leaving the scene of an accident.

So my post was in reply to another posters post, about something that would not really be feasible.

gatecrash wrote: »
    considering there is damage and paint transfer on TBH's car, we can assume that this is a bit more than a bumper rub.

That's leaving the scene of an accident AND a hit and run.

Read my post properly would be my suggestion, as I said, its a reply to another post, with the part I replied to in bold.

Maybe its myself that`s not reading properly today though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

jonny24ie wrote: »
    TBH fair play to you for chasing this up.

I had something happen me about 6/7 years ago, driver slammed into the back of me and drove off.Got a partial reg but it was a done up civic so should have been easy to trace (Story is on Boards somewhere) but guards couldnt do anything until 6 months later when the fool was stopped at a red light in town and I crossed the road in front of him. Rang the guards and they took the proper reg (I was only out by a digit) and in the Super's own words they can be done for hit and run amonst other offences. Guards rang the owner and within 2 hours he was out to me with cash to sort my car out.
    I would ring the super if you dont get any joy from the guard you are dealing with because its criminal damage either way you look at it and the guards should be arresting them for failure to produce etc.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

jonny24ie wrote: »
    ...... and the guards should be arresting charging them for failure to produce etc.
    FYP :D

Hope it all works out in OP's favour.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

The more I read into this, I reckon that she knows someone in the force and is hoping that tbh will forget about it and go away.

Stick in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Have you thought about going above the Gardas head on this one? Its pretty obvious that she has no interest in getting this sorted for you, so maybe a chat with her superintendant might get things moving along...

A chat with her superintendent is a bit ott, you think he/she will talk to everyone who has a little problem with something one of his/her guards can't get round to doing.
    The guard probably has loads of things to do including court and if she was to phone back everyone with an update she would never get anything done.
    It's not an office job where you can sit and make calls everyday.
    It's unfair to say it obvious she has no interest, we don't know what she might have done regarding the incident all ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Epic thread. Can't wait for the next installment.

...and all because 'obnoxious parking'. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

If she says truthfully she didn't know she was in an accident and hence didn't stop and exchange/leave details then this would amount to a defence to a charge of an offence contrary to S. 106 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 (which sets out duties on the occurrence of an accident).

In this case, it would seem highly improbable, to the point of being only theoretically possible, that a person could have caused the damage to TBH's car, and yet not realised that they had done so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

Reloc8 wrote: »
    In this case, it would seem highly improbable, to the point of being only theoretically possible, that a person could have caused the damage to TBH's car, and yet not realised that they had done so.

In a car maybe but according to tbh's first post the offender was driving a Jeep which is slightly different.
    I wonder does tbh know what make of jeep?

Advertisement