Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car hit, other driver drove off

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, OP has it all written down here in case he needs to go back over the facts.
    And after that, book, movie, who knows what else.:D
    Who will play you OP?
    I want a cameo with Matt Damon playing me.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

unexpected update!

I mentioned earlier that the other driver had contacted my insurance company in April to look for a quote. My claim handler sent her a letter this week telling her she'd been accused of hitting my car and blah blah blah, and asking her to call him to talk to him.

So today she called him! She told him she wanted photos of the damage to my car and said she'd dropped her insurance details to the guards yesterday (she thought yesterday was her final day). My guy asked her for her insurance company details and she told him to get them from the guards. My guy told her we needed them as we would send the photos to them, and again she told him to get them from the guards.

She also changed her story from "definitely didn't hit him" to "don't remember hitting him". She claimed the damage on her car was from her hitting a pillar. I panicked a bit on this, but the claims guy just reassured me that the assessor was 100% sure she did the damage. He told me that our roles were reversed, that my insurance company would pay out.

so! Interesting stuff.

My gut feeling is that she went out and got a policy in the last few days. Obviously we don't know because we don't know her details. She told the claims guy that she had passed on his details to her insurance company, so he thinks we may even get a call today.

One downside: I'm guessing that if she is insured, she won't face any further action. The guard hasn't exactly been proactive on this. But the upside is I don't have to pay the excess, and she didn't get away with it!

I'll update you as soon as I have any news - I haven't even told my wife the latest, ye know where my priorities are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

tbh wrote: »
    My gut feeling is that she went out and got a policy in the last few days.
    But surely her cover would only start from when she bought it? Otherwise everyone would wait until they had an accident before paying for insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

unexpected update!

I mentioned earlier that the other driver had contacted my insurance company in April to look for a quote. My claim handler sent her a letter this week telling her she'd been accused of hitting my car and blah blah blah, and asking her to call him to talk to him.

So today she called him! She told him she wanted photos of the damage to my car and said she'd dropped her insurance details to the guards yesterday (she thought yesterday was her final day). My guy asked her for her insurance company details and she told him to get them from the guards. My guy told her we needed them as we would send the photos to them, and again she told him to get them from the guards.

She also changed her story from "definitely didn't hit him" to "don't remember hitting him". She claimed the damage on her car was from her hitting a pillar. I panicked a bit on this, but the claims guy just reassured me that the assessor was 100% sure she did the damage. He told me that our roles were reversed, that my insurance company would pay out.

so! Interesting stuff.

My gut feeling is that she went out and got a policy in the last few days. Obviously we don't know because we don't know her details. She told the claims guy that she had passed on his details to her insurance company, so he thinks we may even get a call today.

One downside: I'm guessing that if she is insured, she won't face any further action. The guard hasn't exactly been proactive on this. But the upside is I don't have to pay the excess, and she didn't get away with it!

I'll update you as soon as I have any news - I haven't even told my wife the latest, ye know where my priorities are :)

Yeah why would she kick up such a fuss and lie about it if she had insurance. And being 4 days late to give insurance details sounds a bit suspicious too.
    What will if the guard do if they find out she wasn't insured at the time and only got insured in the last few days?

Best of luck op, was hoping she'd get in trouble for this but I at the very least you won't be out of pocket for this

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

unexpected update!

so! Interesting stuff.

I'd say that the Garda will check that she produced her insurance when he goes back to work and then things will happen. It is a slow process as i can vouch for personally. The Garda could have ten things on too.
    You can rest assured that you will win out in the end OP.

• Advertisement

But surely her cover would only start from when she bought it? Otherwise everyone would wait until they had an accident before paying for insurance?

oh if she only recently got it, it'll come out for sure, I'm not in any doubt about that. I just think that's what's happened because there was such a long gap between the accident and now - could be an entirely innocent explanation for it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Yeah the insurance company will know if she was covered the date of the incident. If she can't prove she had insurance on that date she's in biiiiiig trouble.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I thought there was a witness to this incident? How in that case can the 3rd party even claim they didn't cause the damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I thought there was a witness to this incident? How in that case can the 3rd party even claim they didn't cause the damage?

The witness didn't see the driver of the vehicle, or that is my understanding of it.

To be honest, I'm not sure if she even knows about the witness. I'm not sure how she thinks we tracked her down, but it seems like she thinks if she keeps denying it, we won't be able to prove anything.

It's true the witness didn't see the driver, but she did see the impact, also the damage to my car is consistent with the damage to hers, and there's CCTV.

I think the other driver knows the jig is up, but if they say yeah, I did it, then they are admitting to knowingly driving away from an accident. So might as well just keep saying "it wasn't me" or, more recently "oh my gosh, did I do that?"

In any event, and I didn't know this before, if she is insured, her insurance company can admit liability even if she denies it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd tell her about the eye witness and the cctv. Pull the rug completely from under her feet as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'd tell her about the eye witness and the cctv. Pull the rug completely from under her feet as it were.

I wouldn't. Let other, more officious sorts do that after they've taken legally binding statements from her. All you're doing is telling her what she has stacked up against her and what options she has to play with. We may all think it's too late for her to do anything, but technicalities are just that: fine print that can get even the most guilt-certain party off scot-free.

Just leave her to her fate as is. Noose. Neck. Length of rope extending.

You see, sh*t like that happens here because naff all is done about it.
    Just having a quick look what will happen to you in Germany:
    7 points on your licence, 1-3 months licence taken away from you and that only if you're not a newly qualified driver.
    It doesn't mention how much it will cost you, so could be a fine handed down by the courts.
    All this if the damage doesn't exceed €1300, if it does, you're in real trouble.
    And German cops are not known for their leniency, sense of humor or sparkling personality, compared to that the Gardai are your best mates.
    Here is a link (in German)
    http://www.123recht.net/Fahrerflucht-Kein-Kavaliersdelikt-__a6520.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Just read this entire thread, it's like a good episode of Columbo proving how it happened :)

Glad you will be getting justice OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

if her insurance had just lapsed by a week or so and she just renewed it then they will usually back date it...dunno would they if you had had an accident in the interim though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

GreeBo wrote: »
    if her insurance had just lapsed by a week or so and she just renewed it then they will usually back date it...dunno would they if you had had an accident in the interim though...

I think in that case any insurance company will wash their hands as none of them are interested into paying out something if they have a chance not to. My insurance is up in 1st July and I got the renewal quote today so have plenty of time to renew before previous one actually runs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

pcardin wrote: »
    I think in that case any insurance company will wash their hands as none of them are interested into paying out something if they have a chance not to. My insurance is up in 1st July and I got the renewal quote today so have plenty of time to renew before previous one actually runs out.
    It varies from insurer to insurer. Some offer a "grace period" where the cover is bridged after expiry so long as the insured party accepts the renewal quote. You're covered for this period so long as you pay before the end of it. In my case I think it's seven days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

pcardin wrote: »

Depends on insurer. Tesco sent me renewal, so i called them to say i won't accept and don't want to renew. Conveniently for them they send new certificate and disc with the renewal form, and i was asked to return them, which i did. Month later DD taken from account without me authorising it (apparently they can do what they want - luckily my bank shared my view on this particular DD), and weeks later registered letter (and i had to drive 15miles to get that one), asking to pay, or my policy will be cancelled. WTF??? Another phone call explaining that i sent those back weeks ago, and that i didn't ask for those...
    Week ago - letter (regular one) to inform me that my policy has been cancelled due to nonpayment, and that i owe them money for time on cover. Did try to call them, but apparently need more time to put in their head that my new policy started when the tesco one expired, so there was no time on cover with them, so there is no money for them, and need to sort cancelled policy issue, as it may affect me in the future. Now, technically they should pay out even if i didn't pay the premium on time, but their own terms and conditions mention payment as a necessary means to provide cover... Sorry for off, and all this rant, but they are really messing with my head right now. Always pay on time, got my new insurance sorted weeks before expiry date, and they still try to f... me over...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It varies from insurer to insurer. Some offer a "grace period" where the cover is bridged after expiry so long as the insured party accepts the renewal quote. You're covered for this period so long as you pay before the end of it. In my case I think it's seven days.

Well - it is 1 month premium tesco wants from me, i would like to see them paying out when you did not pay them anything for 3 weeks since renewal date...

Just gave the guard a ring, she confirmed there was no update (i.e. no insurance details received, as I expected), she's going to visit the other driver on Thursday and update me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Just gave the guard a ring, she confirmed there was no update (i.e. no insurance details received, as I expected), she's going to visit the other driver on Thursday and update me.

Hopefully you'll see some quicker progress after that.......

Don't forget to also claim for the cost of mental trauma, could easily be worth €20k!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Don't forget to also claim for the cost of mental trauma, could easily be worth €20k!

Can I also claim for the mental anguish that I have suffered in having to wait to find out what happens?? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

tbh, who do you want to play you when this is eventually made into a movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭Quandary

I feel for ya OP.

Myself and quite a few of my friends have had this crap happen to us and no matter how clear cut the case was, it always seemed to take an age to sort out.

I was lucky really.

Girl reversed into my car and badly damaged two panels. I got my hands on the CCTV footage (my apartment block). She actually go out of the car and looked at the damage to my car, then her own car before driving off!

Long story short she claims she left a note on the windscreen with her contact details to sort out the insurance. She did nothing of the sort, as was proved by the CCTV.

The guards contacted her and she came clean in the end.

If I didn't have the CCTV footage the damage would have cost me €1400.

It's bloody galling to think there are so many people out there willing to crash into someone's car and then do a legger :(.

It's unforgivable IMO and they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

I hope you get things sorted and karma comes down hard on that b1tch.

tbh, who do you want to play you when this is eventually made into a movie?
    Charlize Theron. I'd obviously have to work very closely with her to help her get my mannerisms just right.

Suprised no one has thrown in the old "does she (hit&run Bitch) know/related to any Guards"?
    Maybe she is getting advice OP??
    Really hope you get this sorted, i would be LIVID and probably want to burn her jeep during the night.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Absolutely delighted that you're going to come through this with a positive result tbh!

Hard to believe how many times she has denied hitting your car at this stage. Even after someone came out to her house to inspect the car. Has this woman not seen CSI? Paint transfer etc. If someone admits to their mistake then, as you said, fair enough. But she's really dragging this one along for a long time, for no ones benefit, least of all her own. Apparently the maximum punishment for having no insurance is 1 year off the road and a nasty fine. I hope the judge for this case is in a really foul humor when she arrives in the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Caliden wrote: »
    Uh oh, now you've done it by mentioning that, people will soon be picking up their pitchforks and start stereotyping.

Those damn Greeks!!!! They invented gayness!!!

• Advertisement

Charlize Theron. I'd obviously have to work very closely with her to help her get my mannerisms just right.

See can you somehow write Angelina Jolie in as well plus an inflatable baby pool full of custard...

Advertisement