Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCI fuel card -Diesel

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

I get price updates via email every Wednesday and Friday night. Last nights update gave me a price of 124.6c per litre + vat. Thats 153.26:eek:. Very few stations west of the Shannon where I mostly work & play are above 150cpl. Won't be using DCI card very much at this rate, and I've been with them for more than 5yrs.
    lau1247 wrote: »
    yep 124.6 was what i got yesterday.. stick to local forecourt until they are back to sensible price..

the cheapest I've seen at the moment is 149.9 CPL at forecourts

That's strange because my price update yesterday was 123.6CPL :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

The Dagda wrote: »

Are you registered as a business or private user? I got 124.6 also but another guy in work is always getting a cent cheaper than me... He is registered as a business and said he'd be buying 1000L a week when he signed up (he prob fills a car once every 2 weeks in reality). I don't know is that why he is getting a better rate or is it just up to the sales reps discretion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Yeah 123.6 for myself too which works out at 152 and its 149.9 in the local station at the moment, was great for a few weeks there I saved 12-16c/l in galway which is always expensive.

I was wondering if they give people a different price according to how much you use which would mean when the price went up and you use it less it would spiral up to a useless level.

Are you registered as a business or private user? I got 124.6 also but another guy in work is always getting a cent cheaper than me... He is registered as a business and said he'd be buying 1000L a week when he signed up (he prob fills a car once every 2 weeks in reality). I don't know is that why he is getting a better rate or is it just up to the sales reps discretion?
    paddyp wrote: »
    Yeah 123.6 for myself too which works out at 152 and its 149.9 in the local station at the moment, was great for a few weeks there I saved 12-16c/l in galway which is always expensive.

I was wondering if they give people a different price according to how much you use which would mean when the price went up and you use it less it would spiral up to a useless level.

Yeah we're signed up as a business so maybe that explains the difference? It doesn't make sense to me how they are pricing the fuel at the moment, considering how much cheaper it was when the price at the pump was much higher.

It's a pain now coz it was so handy to be able to fuel up at the local core site (which is Fuel Card Only), not have to go through the payment procedure, not have to worry about receipts, etc., AND save money. Hopefully the price comes back down soon...

Yeah we're signed up as a business so maybe that explains the difference? It doesn't make sense to me how they are pricing the fuel at the moment, considering how much cheaper it was when the price at the pump was much higher.

It's a pain now coz it was so handy to be able to fuel up at the local core site (which is Fuel Card Only), not have to go through the payment procedure, not have to worry about receipts, etc., AND save money. Hopefully the price comes back down soon...

Yeah, cuz it was cheaper for a good while there! And when you stop using it you have to pay for fuel straight away... you get used to that three weeks credit! it catches up on ya when ya start paying by cash!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Gal2011

DCI like any Fuel card company buy fuel on a twice weekly basis so if the oil market rises by 10 cent on Wednesday then their price automatically rises by 10 cent that day when they change their price as they buy a certain quota although they do not really handle the diesel whereas the Filling stations might not refuel for a couple of days or a week or longer depending on how often they get their pumps refueled and thir price goes up or down depending on the price they buy it at. In essence it is very hard to compare the DCI fuel card to pump prices in an unstable oil market which is what we have had for the past year or more as it is constantly moving mainly upwards. If the prices remained constant for a few weeks then obviously you could more easily compare like with like more fairly. Hope that helps, price of diesel is rising steadily by the looks of it.

Gal2011 wrote: »
    DCI like any Fuel card company buy fuel on a twice weekly basis so if the oil market rises by 10 cent on Wednesday then their price automatically rises by 10 cent that day when they change their price as they buy a certain quota although they do not really handle the diesel whereas the Filling stations might not refuel for a couple of days or a week or longer depending on how often they get their pumps refueled and thir price goes up or down depending on the price they buy it at. In essence it is very hard to compare the DCI fuel card to pump prices in an unstable oil market which is what we have had for the past year or more as it is constantly moving mainly upwards. If the prices remained constant for a few weeks then obviously you could more easily compare like with like more fairly. Hope that helps, price of diesel is rising steadily by the looks of it.

3 things;

1. There's no difference between a station buying fuel and DCI buying fuel. They both buy at one price and sell at another.

2. DCI must be buying more than a single station, in bulk at discount, so they must be able to sell at a lower price. The fact that they were so much cheaper a few weeks ago proves that.

3. Prices have been steady at less than 1.50 for a couple of weeks, DCI have been raising their price all of that time.

I don't know why you posted? If you have some knowledge of the business why are you posting incorrect information? If you don't have knowledge of the business, why are you posting in a way that implies that you have some "insider info"?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I left DCI for exactly this reason. Started off really reasonable and quickly started to outstrip pump prices. They didn't seem surprised when I rang to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭lau1247

whiterebel wrote: »
    I left DCI for exactly this reason. Started off really reasonable and quickly started to outstrip pump prices. They didn't seem surprised when I rang to cancel.

to be honest, while I'm not happy that their price has been on the increase for the past month and I've been paying the forecourt price which is cheaper..

it still make sense to keep it for when they drop.. after all, they don't charge anything anyway if you don't use it..

One would understand if they charge service fee or monthly fee.. so a bit of over reaction no??

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just got my topaz text prices are still higher than the prices on the 29th of June

29th of June:

Petrol 155.28 & Diesel 146.73

Todays price(20th July)

Petrol 160.81 & Diesel 155.72

Diesel gone up 10cent in 4 weeks, wha?

Should I be moving to a DCI card, topaz doesn't seem any great value today.

• Advertisement

DCI going up to 125.1CPL (153.87) from midnight tonight! :rolleyes: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Gal2011

3 things;

1. There's no difference between a station buying fuel and DCI buying fuel. They both buy at one price and sell at another.

2. DCI must be buying more than a single station, in bulk at discount, so they must be able to sell at a lower price. The fact that they were so much cheaper a few weeks ago proves that.

3. Prices have been steady at less than 1.50 for a couple of weeks, DCI have been raising their price all of that time.

I don't know why you posted? If you have some knowledge of the business why are you posting incorrect information? If you don't have knowledge of the business, why are you posting in a way that implies that you have some "insider info"?

I have some knowledge as my family had a service station and I understand to a certain degree how it works. Your number 1 point doesn't make sense as yes they both buy diesel but at different times so at different prices, service station buys a bulk amount and prices it accordingly until that amount runs out which could be for any period of time. A fuel card company doesn't physically buy a big amount, they trade on the Oil market which changes on a Wedneday and a Friday so their price changes accordingly.
    Your second point that they were cheaper a few weeks ago actually backs up what i am saying and what i said previously that Fuel cards are ahead of the stations in terms of price changes as they buy on a twice weekly rate and a couple of weeks ago the prices were falling so they were getting this diesel at a lower rate than the stations so hence were cheaper and now it is going the other way and they are going up ahead of the stations.
    Your third quote about prices being steady at 1.50 for the last 3 weeks is ridiculous as there is a 10 cent differential in the price of diesel at pumps nationwide from the cheapest to the dearest station which has nothing to do with fuel cards. Look up the website www.pumps.ie and read the price forecast and they tell you how diesel is rising and expected to continue so. Also if you don't believe that diesel is going up then ring your local bulk diesel provider and ask them. By the way watch the prices shoot up at the pumps over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

DCI going up to 125.1CPL (153.87) from midnight tonight! :rolleyes: :mad:

126.1cpl (155.103) for me:rolleyes::eek::mad: The local core site is 151.9 :confused:

126.1cpl (155.103) for me:rolleyes::eek::mad: The local core site is 151.9 :confused:

I'd say the price at the pumps is going to catch up on the card... but as long as the price is going up paying at pumps seems to be better... and when it's coming down use the card as DCI seems to react quicker to market changes....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

to be honest, while I'm not happy that their price has been on the increase for the past month and I've been paying the forecourt price which is cheaper..

it still make sense to keep it for when they drop.. after all, they don't charge anything anyway if you don't use it..

One would understand if they charge service fee or monthly fee.. so a bit of over reaction no??

Hardly an over reaction:rolleyes: They sold the concept of their card working out cheaper at the pump, which it did for a few months and then got more expensive. Rang to cancel and told them exactly why. Whats the point in holding on to a card I'm never going to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hardly an over reaction:rolleyes: They sold the concept of their card working out cheaper at the pump, which it did for a few months and then got more expensive. Rang to cancel and told them exactly why. Whats the point in holding on to a card I'm never going to use?

It seems that the days of the card automatically registering the cheaper pump price are now gone. In the early days if the pump price was cheaper than the customer got that benefit. The Topaz cards was similar. I wonder has that changed as well ???. By the way all these fuel cards are processed by the same company in Crewe.

I'm just keeping mine for when it's cheaper than the pump again... as there's no costs associated I don't see any reason not to keep it to give you the option. One of the lads on here has had his card for 5 years so it's obviously not consistently more expensive or he'd have far worst things to say about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

There was a huge increase in refinery diesel prices over the past couple of weeks, this will feed into the pumps from this weekend - don't be surprised by up to 9c increase at the pumps within the next 7 days

Increase caused by under capacity at refineries, and oil prices going way back to almost $110 AND the euro dollar rate dropping to $1.21

Absolutely nothing whatsoever we can do about it unless the government wants to reduce their 85c cut from EACH litre of diesel (95c from petrol)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

Had a DCI card but gone back to pay as you go. At least you don't get a big bill that way. Suits me anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

For some reason I'm not getting their SMS messages; one of their guys is trying to fix it but no luck so far. Could anyone who's had a recent SMS let me know what the current price is?
    TIA

• Advertisement

peckerhead wrote: »
    For some reason I'm not getting their SMS messages; one of their guys is trying to fix it but no luck so far. Could anyone who's had a recent SMS let me know what the current price is?
    TIA

currently it is 124.3 (or 152.8 after VAT) which will be valid until this coming wednesday (inclusive)

Whats the point in holding on to a card I'm never going to use?

well, you might when it gets cheaper again duh.. :confused:

anyway, you're out so.... enjoy the forecourt price when it is more expensive :rolleyes:

currently it is 124.3 (or 152.8 after VAT) which will be valid until this coming wednesday (inclusive)

or 123.3 if ur a business customer (pretty certain it's always a cent cheaper for them, so if anyone new is signing up pretend to be a business!

or 123.3 if your a business customer (pretty certain it's always a cent cheaper for them, so if anyone new is signing up pretend to be a business!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

i signed up for this and am waiting for a call. can i get two cards? one for me and the wife? handy card in the west of ireland as i have seen quite a few 24hr pumps that take a dci card at the pumps even if the shop/forecourt is closed. in my experience they didn't take a credit card. had a few too close to call trips with the fuel light on looking for an open forecourt.

well, you might when it gets cheaper again duh.. :confused:

anyway, you're out so.... enjoy the forecourt price when it is more expensive :rolleyes:

Which bit of the fact that DCI was consistently more expensive than pump prices do you not understand?:confused:
    Maybe in your world paying them more than what you pay at the pump is a bargain......:rolleyes:
    When I asked if I pay the rate from the text, or the cheaper price at the DCI pump in New Ross, they wanted me to pay the texted rate. Brilliant service, enjoy it.

Which bit of the fact that DCI was consistently more expensive than pump prices do you not understand?:confused:

No it is not a fact!!!! (I'm holding back an extremely strong urge to start name calling) It was cheaper than forecourts between Jan up to May consistently!!! I know because I've been using it in those periods and I check the price of various stations between Longford and Dublin every week, so don't you start telling me that it is consistently more expensive than forecourts.. Get your fact straight!!
    Maybe in your world paying them more than what you pay at the pump is a bargain......:rolleyes:

I should be saying that to you! (The other way around of course).. guess you can't teach old dogs new trick.. I keep telling you that you should only use it when it is cheaper than forecourt yet somehow you just can't seem to take it in (before you developed amnesia again, they are cheaper at times and is NOT always more expensive!)
    When I asked if I pay the rate from the text, or the cheaper price at the DCI pump in New Ross, they wanted me to pay the texted rate. Brilliant service, enjoy it.

It is not rocket science, if you use the card, you pay the card price.. like any service, read the term and conditions.. you are the one that is suppose to check which is cheaper.. the onus is on the person using the card.. they text you the weekly price update for a reason..

a business (like any other) is there to make money, you just have to understand how it operate and play it at their own game within the term and yes, it is a brilliant service when it is cheaper and I will enjoy it..

Note to self, do not feed the troll ;):rolleyes:

Yes, you tell me what they texted and what I was getting at the pumps and why I gave up using it. Tell you what, talk to yourself, you're such an expert.....

Yes, you tell me what they texted and what I was getting at the pumps and why I gave up using it. Tell you what, talk to yourself, you're such an expert.....

scaled.php?server=805&filename=59519731.png&res=landing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have a DCI card now for 3 years and in general its cheaper, outside of the last 6 weeks anyway its beaten any roadside pump I have seen throughout the country, so its well worth having. At one stage there in May it was 5 or 6 cents a litre cheaper than anywhere I had seen from here to Dublin.

Advertisement