Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Sheep 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

peter kern wrote: »
    most people cycle into transition from their house as it is the fastest way to do and a good way to wake up ;-)
    but yes there is parking close to transition if you are early.

+1

However I have returned to my car close to transition after the race and found it 'relocated' as I had parked in what turned out to be an inappropriate place. The last time there I sneakily :o parked in the 'residents only' carpark of the apartments on the corner of the small road that leads down to the pier with no problems. I have also previously parked down that pier road but the marshals were turning people away the last time. You don't want any extra stress that morning so allow yourself plenty of time and be as organised as possible with your parking, etc

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

RedB wrote: »
    +1

However I have returned to my car close to transition after the race and found it 'relocated' as I had parked in what turned out to be an inappropriate place. The last time there I sneakily :o parked in the 'residents only' carpark of the apartments on the corner of the small road that leads down to the pier with no problems. I have also previously parked down that pier road but the marshals were turning people away the last time. You don't want any extra stress that morning so allow yourself plenty of time and be as organised as possible with your parking, etc
    I'm seeing a pattern here Red.....

Oryx wrote: »
    I'm seeing a pattern here Red.....

:) I knew I should have kept my head below the parapet! - shouldn't you be out running or something;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

If i have the energy i might even go to this after party thingy:o

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

peter kern wrote: »
    most people cycle into transition from their house as it is the fastest way to do and a good way to wake up ;-)
    but yes there is parking close to transition if you are early.

I doubt it's the fastest way if your accommodation is in Killarney....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,778 ✭✭✭griffin100

I doubt it's the fastest way if your accommodation is in Killarney....

If Bret Sutton was your coach he'd make you cycle to the start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

griffin100 wrote: »
    If Bret Sutton was your coach he'd make you cycle to the start :)

AND IT HASNT REALLY CHANGED MY MIND ;-0 but since it is the first half .....
    i would still only drive to kenmanre town and then cycle as it makes it the easiest for all participnats if people dont drive there and would still be the fastest way from kenmanre town into transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Savage day here yesterday with completely blue sky but its misty and a bit dull this morning. Went for a swim at the start of the course yesterday, small bit choppy but fine and not cold. Also did the opening 23k of the bike route, taking in the opening climb. Its a doddle but it the smaller of the 3. Road surface is ok, some lovely spots and then some typically Irish rough roads. Also to note a part of both the climb and descent on the first climb is just after being repaired so there are some loose chippings!

if anyone is about later today im heading for a swim on the course again at about 5. Pm me ur number if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Bambaata wrote: »
    Pm me ur number if interested.

Done ;) would be good to put another face to a boardsie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Enjoy it lads, raging i could not work it in, big training weekend for me instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Best of luck lads.
    Heard this is an epic race and much loved by many.

Hope ye get a great day...

Interested - expecting a lead out of the swim no doubt!
    Good luck all.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck to everyone, I look forward to all the reports afterwards :)

Oryx wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone, I look forward to all the reports afterwards :)
    +1
    First time missing it in over 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I think Interested should post a report. :D

Good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I swam. I Did Nothing Fatal. That is all. ;)
    although I will be booking a visit to the physio since my slight calf strain is considerably worse after my little efforts this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Id a good swim, best ever infact. My 0 cycling the past month adpnd general lack of preparation due to having a bit too much fun in London bite me in the ass big time on the bike. I was wiped out by 50k and was a little worried if id be able to run at all. my bike is normally one of my strengths but I got what I deserved and got passed by loads. The run though went surprisingly well. Didnt go quite as well as it possibly could have but did go well overall. Had I been offered a sub 01:30 run at the start of the day id definitely have taken it. Its a beast of a course, probably the best the country has to offer. Bike is hard and the run just never seems to be flat with the gradient changing ever few metres with some proper little stinging hills. I passed loads and ran myself back into a decent spot and I think it was possibly my best paced half marathon of the 4 HIMs ive done. I kept it easy to about 8k and then started picking it up a little. Think I negative split the run too and wasnt passed on it. Good day out and a race id definitely recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Well done to everyone :). After today, I finally appreciate just how much organisation goes into races like this. I feel like I raced the damn thing.

I was the good looking chap taking off all your timing chips at the end of the race

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Therapysucks

That was an outstanding race, brilliant experience. The bod is aching but it was worth every crucifying step of that run. Any sign of results being posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Therapysucks

Thanks insinkerator.

• Advertisement

Tough day of the office.

Swim involved 3 pukes before finally having to give up:(

But i dusted myself down to do the cycle and run.

I enjoyed the challenge of the cycle and the amazing decent's. Well done to the Waterford tri gang at the top of the Healey pass ! I was so happy to see that 2nd tunnel but some of the road surfaces after that were bone shaking.

Both were tough with the run being one of the toughest half marathons i've done with the up-down-up-up,down ( etc ) on the way back my calves gave up and i had to tip toe down the hills. The puking got me on the run where i lot of a lot of fluids and food i had taken in earlier on the morning.

I'm annoyed about the swim but at least it wasn't a panic attack or just me giving up because i didn't want to swim. If i kept going i would have had to bow out of the cycle or run ( which so many did )

I'll be back in 2014 and i'm already planning my next HIM:)

Oh and thanks to all from here who helped with advice over the last fw months, it really helped me to the end line !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Hard luck on the swim Elvis but fair play to you for keeping on going. What do you think caused the puking?

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Hard luck on the swim Elvis but fair play to you for keeping on going. What do you think caused the puking?

My goggles were letting in water and i stopped twice to fix them. On the 3rd time a jet ski came over and i hung on to fix them right, i pushed off too hard and pushed myself under water and of course swallowed about a gallon of water. Back up and off i went and after back 20 strokes......puke !!!! Off i went again and more puke.

I had a decision to make, 1k more of this or get out, get right and do the cycle and run. If that had started nearer the end i'd be fine but i don't think i would have made it to the end if i continued to get sick.

I had to wait for the last person to exit the water before i was allowed head for T1, the time when i came over the line was 6:46 and if i had done the full swim i'd be happy with that.

A great race, well put together and the grub afterwards was lovely.

2014 i shall be back ( 2013 is all booked up )

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

well what a day

First HIM, really gald i did it than galway.

Swim went decent, bike was great but my ass Took a pounding from the rough surface and then the run was pure torture

can't fault anything as everything was spot on

great buzz as well last night in the town

just under 5hrs 30 which was my goal, delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bombidal

Any photos about bar the few on TI

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jancek/7964114854/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

2014 i shall be back ( 2013 is all booked up )

2013 sold out already???? Are you serious?

2013 sold out already???? Are you serious?

Nope I finish a 1000km event 6 days before the 2013 event so I don't think it will be in my legs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Nope I finish a 1000km event 6 days before the 2013 event so I don't think it will be in my legs

Ah sorry, I misunderstood your post first, 2013 is booked up for you :o

I knew the Lost Sheep was popular but didn't think it was that popular that it would be sold out the day after it was held.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

Very enjoyable race. No wonder it was voted Triathlon Ireland race of the year in 2011.

Excellent organisation from the Cork Triathlon Club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well done Huff, cracking time. Are you considering going longer at any stage or are you going to stick to mainly Olympic distance in the near future

Advertisement