Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Sheep 2012

Options
  • 09-05-2012 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

It opened for enteries this morning................i entered, what have i put myself in for :confused::p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

I feel the same.. nothing ventured nothing gained...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Entered too. Its my other big race of the year, looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

gah - will have to ask for permission. Or is forgiveness better..........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I feel the same.. nothing ventured nothing gained...

Interesting. Didn't realise you did triathlons BH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Any feedback from anyone who has done the race already.

I take it some hill training on the bike is a must:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

Interesting. Didn't realise you did triathlons BH.

I participate in the odd one here and there and I complete them the same way as I run...

slowly :P:P

Final 150 places go on sale in 13 min:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Crane Fly

Just signed myself up...this year I am going to learn how to cycle before I head down

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

In it not too win it

will be watching this loads to get my mind right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Any feedback from anyone who has done the race already.

I take it some hill training on the bike is a must:)

I've done it the last 3 years as a newbie/ back-of-packer and I'd recommend being well trained for it (I wasn't :o). Lots of distance work and yes, hills too. I remember reading before that the hills weren't that bad and strongly disagreeing in my own mind but now I'd tend to agree with that. There are 2 good climbs but they are totally manageable if you've done the training. I always blew up on the run and I now know the significant level of training that is required to get around that distance and which I didn't have. Regular 100km cycles (with hills!), 15M runs and decent bricks as well as 3 solid swimming sessions p.w. You can get around it ok in 6-7 hours with less training but you'll probably be suffering on the run (or walk/shuffle in my case). Its a good setup and course and I would recommend it but you need to respect the course too and train appropriately.

• Advertisement

RedB wrote: »
    I've done it the last 3 years as a newbie/ back-of-packer and I'd recommend being well trained for it (I wasn't :o). Lots of distance work and yes, hills too. I remember reading before that the hills weren't that bad and strongly disagreeing in my own mind but now I'd tend to agree with that. There are 2 good climbs but they are totally manageable if you've done the training. I always blew up on the run and I now know the significant level of training that is required to get around that distance and which I didn't have. Regular 100km cycles (with hills!), 15M runs and decent bricks as well as 3 solid swimming sessions p.w. You can get around it ok in 6-7 hours with less training but you'll probably be suffering on the run (or walk/shuffle in my case). Its a good setup and course and I would recommend it but you need to respect the course too and train appropriately.

Thanks for that.

Out for my longest cycle of the year so far tomororw ( 75k ) and building weekly from there. It will take me about 4 to 5 weeks to get up to full training but i agree with all you have said, thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Trying to tie in a weekend away/end of season race and juggling a few ideas with this being one of them. The climbs should suit me.

Do it ;-) DO IT!!!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Do it ;-) DO IT!!!

:) Have you done it before Ed, well run and good event? Some of the overseas HIM race prices/travel costs putting me off a little. Such a tight wad:)
    Missus really wants to go to Lanza but timing is probably too far out in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Bambaata wrote: »
    Do it ;-) DO IT!!!

:) Have you done it before Ed, well run and good event? Some of the overseas HIM race prices/travel costs putting me off a little. Such a tight wad:)
    Missus really wants to go to Lanza but timing is probably too far out in November.

Lost sheep? Great race, great venue, great town. Some bad memories of less than hospitable registration but that was years ago. I'll go back some year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

tunney wrote: »
    Lost sheep? Great race, great venue, great town. Some bad memories of less than hospitable registration but that was years ago. I'll go back some year!

+1

No i havent done it before but im all registered up for this year. I went for it at 90 quid rather than Galway at about 250! Ive heard loads of positive things about the race and it has been on the wishlist for a while but just never suited before

Well i hope there are plenty of sheep to spot!! Registered.

deadly!

Anyone want to describe the "hills" to me, looking for something similar to train on the Slieve blooms beside me have 527m of climbing to the top ?

One of the routes has about 7.5k of climbs and a few others are 3 and 4k ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

They're just long steady drags. Only the very last section of the first one has a steep pinch to it, and that part is fairly short.

They're just long steady drags. Only the very last section of the first one has a steep pinch to it, and that part is fairly short.

Silly question, how long are the climbs ( km wise )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Not sure but maybe 7-8km each overall. Only about 200m of it will be out of the saddle, and there are flatter parts to each climb too.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Not sure but maybe 7-8km each overall. Only about 200m of it will be out of the saddle, and there are flatter parts to each climb too.

Thanks for that info, signed up last week myself for first one.

Going to have to find some bigger hills than Howth so to train on.

Thats great, my 7.5k climb will help so:)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

It's a top-class course - some good challenges in the bike climbs but only the last 300m before the Healy has you out of the saddle. Some great technical descending off the Healy too. The Healy and the Caha climbs are listed as "Category 1" but they're fine.

The race organsiation has really shaprened up following the swim fiasco a few years ago - so much so that the Lost Sheep was voted race of the year for 2011 on the TI website. Sure, they don't mollycoddle you through registration and transition setup but then the entrants aren't exactly first-timers. The Lost Sheep is all about the course.

If you've never done the race before here's 10 tips I'd give from my experiences there:

1. Save a bit for the run. The climb over the last km up to the turnaround is tougher than the map profile seems to indicate and you've a good undulating course home from there

2. Make sure you look after the nutrition and have plenty to consume on the bike

3. There's loads of houses to rent in Kenmare. Book one with a few buddies for the weekend or get on to the organisers to see if they can connect you with a renter

4. Food/water stations are few. Gatorade/Water in Glengarrif on the bike and two water stations on the run (which counts as four stations with the out and back run course)

5. Because use of the bridge is limited they have to have transition over in an abandoned hotel outside the town. The transition space is tight so get in early to rack up

6. Make sure you stay in Kenmare on the Saturday night - there's great craic all over the town and most lads are letting off steam as the Lost Sheep is usually a last event of the season for most

7. Weather can have a big impact. On a sunny day the course seems benign enough but if it's raining and windy then depending on ability you'll work hard in the swim and you'll have a tough day on the bike. This is definitely not a TriAthy-style parkland course

8. Make sure you know what you're going to do if you puncture. Maybe you'll stop racing, maybe you'll fix / replace the tube/tyre. Just have it figured out in advance so you don't get uptight about it

9. If you can manage it, get down to Kenmare and cycle the bike route at least once during the summer. Scout the run route while you're at it. It will be a lot less daunting on the day of you do

10. Finally, at least once during the weekend, treat yourself to a slap up feed in Jam - a top-notch restaurant/deli in the middle of the town

Great post thanks for that !

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Anyone want to describe the "hills" to me, looking for something similar to train on the Slieve blooms beside me have 527m of climbing to the top ?

One of the routes has about 7.5k of climbs and a few others are 3 and 4k ???

I cycled the Slieve Blooms a couple of times training for the Lost Sheep last year and they're pretty similar climbs in both length and height. If you can manage The Cut and the Wolftrap in the Blooms you'll have no bother in Kenmare. Although there are no switchbacks in the Slieve Blooms like there are coming off the Healy Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Great event. Be confident on switch-backs. Especially if it's wet! They scared the sh1t outta me the when I did it. I lost a load of time on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

pgibbo wrote: »
    Great event. Be confident on switch-backs. Especially if it's wet! They scared the sh1t outta me the when I did it. I lost a load of time on them.

and watch the switch backs if you have deep rim wheels....last year heading for first switch back didn't relaise there was a strong wind behind but luckily for me guy in front made the mistake first, wind caught side of wheels half way round and over the side he went...I took them fairly handy after seeing that!!!

Advertisement