Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Zombie Mod for Arma 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

Got the beta patch up and running only to find out its about 5am on the server and pitch black. Guess I'll wait to play on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

I can only find the new boards server the one with domination on it. Is the old one still up and running?

Nevermind found it :)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Boards Camp, 2012-2012, R.I.P.

Goodnight sweet prince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ooh, I like that heartbeat/humanity idea. I can just hear the butthurt wails of those who have been shooting everyone on sight since the bandit skin went away. Their tears... sustain me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Maximilian wrote: »
    Boards Camp, 2012-2012, R.I.P.

Goodnight sweet prince.

huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Having a lot of trouble updating, keep getting bad version warning, i got @dayz and Beta installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Xios wrote: »
    Having a lot of trouble updating, keep getting bad version warning, i got @dayz and Beta installed.

Try 93701 beta.

Just run the .exe and it will roll bakc and overwrite the newest one as people are having problems.

ftp://downloads.bistudio.com/arma2.com/update/beta/ARMA2_OA_Build_93701.zip

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive being playing on daylight servers 99% of the time.
    So if gamma and brightness changes dont help how is someone meant to progress when they dont have NV goggles and have maybe just spawned?
    I like the idea of that humanity feature.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Try 93701 beta.

Just run the .exe and it will roll bakc and overwrite the newest one as people are having problems.

ftp://downloads.bistudio.com/arma2.com/update/beta/ARMA2_OA_Build_93701.zip

Nope, didn't solve it :(
    I'll troubleshoot some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Boards servers running with 93825 beta, no other version can join.

Both servers running perfectly.

Domination on 2nd one until dayz devs fix something, password is testmonkey. Its persistent so everything stays the same when you join so missions completed etc are completed.

Gonna have a domination saturday today :D

• Advertisement

The 6 updater thing says i'm missing @dayz @hive expansion/beta, i've installed all these and done everything to try get them to work. lame

Xios wrote: »
    The 6 updater thing says i'm missing @dayz @hive expansion/beta, i've installed all these and done everything to try get them to work. lame

You dont need @hive its for servers only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Ponster wrote: »
    If you're close enough to kill then you can just use Direct Chat which does the same thing as Side Chat. Removing Side Chat was done to make the game more realistic and increase the feeling of being alone.

There's a LOT of posts about this on the Dayz forums.

Here is an excellent post on how to setup and use Direct Communications

Very mixed feelings on this. Some of my fav moments in the game have involved communicating with a player to figure out if he's hostile or not, or the mind game element involved in this.

Close enough to kill? This is Arma and apart from pistols, if I can see you I can kill you. I've shot people from some very long distances with iron sights.

Direct chat has never worked, I see videos of american players using it but I've never seen anyone use it ever myself. Combined with the inability to see players names any more (something I have a big problem with) it just seems like all communication is gone.

All you have is your buddy on TS..

This is grand for people who get to run around in large groups but well yeah... mixed feelings.

I'm open to seeing what it could be like though.

I heavily dislike not seeing player names however. You should be able to see that (maybe only when very close). If people are trying to spout 'realism' for that aspect then they are pretty mistaken. In real life you can look at two people and know they are two different people...

In this game people generally look exactly the same so unless your on TS with him you've no way of knowing.

RL you have body language facial features height weight different outfits and so on to distinguish people while near by or at a distance.

Only way to achieve this same level of information in this game is to see player names.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Might pop on for some domination, played a small bit yesterday and cant believe i ignored arma for so long :(
    Is there a mod to change the radio chatter voices?
    I watched a vid earlier from shack tactical and the radio chatter was a lot better than the default.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Sisko wrote: »

I heavily dislike not seeing player names however. .

It's a server-side option so you can find loads that still have this enabled. Unfortunately it's way too easy to be killed by bandits with this feature turned on. By just moving the mouse around the screen it's possible to know someone's location before you can actually really see them.

I disagree about the direct chat though. If you're killing people at range with iron sights who are more than 40 meters away do you really think you'd have taken the time to chat to them if side-chat was available? Why not just ignore them until you know you're safe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Zatoichi wrote: »
    I was on the server, in the NW airfield, hearing someone firing off a .50cal sniper rifle repeatedly. So much so that I figured it must be a scritp-kiddie as rare as the weapon is, the ammo is even more rarer.

So I disconnect, reconnect hours later ...still firing off the .50cal. :(

That was me. I'm dead and it's lost to posterity, I found it in the barracks with some clips for it, picked it up as had never seen one before. I didn't hit much in truth, you must have been the lad that disconnected when I was trying to hit him. Only got two kills I think and in total fired off less than 2 clips, so about 18 shots. I was scaring people moreso than actually killing them, but it's a beast of a weapon and loud too.

It's a server-side option so you can find loads that still have this enabled. Unfortunately it's way too easy to be killed by bandits with this feature turned on. By just moving the mouse around the screen it's possible to know someone's location before you can actually really see them.

So rocket is not planning to remove it totally himself then? Indeed if it does remain in needs to be adjusted the same way direct chat is, in other words you only see the name when close or when you look at a character for 2 seconds or so. I can totally understand the argument against it in terms of what you said there. Indeed that is a problem.
    I disagree about the direct chat though. If you're killing people at range with iron sights who are more than 40 meters away do you really think you'd have taken the time to chat to them if side-chat was available? Why not just ignore them until you know you're safe?

Never as simple as that, the people I killed in that example I gave. I HAD spoke to them on side chat and it was due to them not answering that I took them out. If I chose to ignore him and try to move on, I lose my advantage and he might then spot me and take me out at a distance.

Plenty of times I've fired warning shots and so on then communicated with people to stay away. I enjoyed this communication. 40 meters is basically face to face in arma. At that range there'd be no time to try and type to the guy, I already got myself killed trying that.

(Boards BBC) :P

I'm open to trying it but there's a lot of stuff I'll miss from side chat and feel forced into shoot on sight gameplay with a lack of it.

Be nice if he could add an animation that holstered your weapon (pistol) or raised your hands in the air but allows you to still walk around so people can confirm lack of hostility with body language too.

Currently with the pistol anyway, your character is always going to look like he's about to shoot someone when moving around. (I'm aware of the sit and salute animations etc been playing since ArmA 1 )

karma_ wrote: »
    That was me. I'm dead and it's lost to posterity, I found it in the barracks with some clips for it, picked it up as had never seen one before. I didn't hit much in truth, you must have been the lad that disconnected when I was trying to hit him. Only got two kills I think and in total fired off less than 2 clips, so about 18 shots. I was scaring people moreso than actually killing them, but it's a beast of a weapon and loud too.

Were you at NW airfield on the SESUK server today by any chance?

Were you at NW airfield on the SESUK server today by any chance?

That.s where I bought my farm all right. Well played!

Haha! :D A friend and I was there. Plus at least two other guys and then you.

One guy had my friend pinned down with a DMR. Had no idea where he was for ages until I noticed an odd looking pixel in the tree line. When the pixel moved I knew it was a player , stood up and looked through my scope and opened fire with my own DMR.

Blood flew out of his body, shot him again and more blood. I was very paranoid of being so open and was eager to get back to cover, when I saw him prone and it looked as if his head popped down IE death animation... I went back to cover.

But I never got a murder or bandit kill for it, and never noticed a "blabla was killed" message in-game either.

When I looked up a few moments later I could not see his body.

Hmmmm only just dawned on me now that he must have disconnected. :(

Was too intense at the time to think that might have been it, we still had a lot of zombies to deal with and more sniper fire.

Some of which sounded like 50cal fire so I presume that was you. Had no idea where you were firing from , we managed to get away alive for once anyway but that was all one hell of an adrenaline rush anyway hehe.

If that guy did disconnect surely he'll just spawn back into the server in bits and die anyway. Wonder if I'll get the kill then.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

It wasn't me, I was inside the barracks, didn't hear direct fire. After that, I left, and reconnected hours later ...the .50cal was still going off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stuckin

Hmmmm only just dawned on me now that he must have disconnected. :(

Was too intense at the time to think that might have been it, we still had a lot of zombies to deal with and more sniper fire.

I still think it was one and the same person. His DMR shot to me only injured me. If I had the required medical supplies I would have been fine. He probably had the .50 cal in his pack

Nah there was more going on there than what we could see. I looked back on the footage I have too.

There was more than one person shooting at us. The guy I shot was outta the picture by the time we heard 50cal fire.

Karma how'd you get killed in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Sarky wrote: »
    Ooh, I like that heartbeat/humanity idea. I can just hear the butthurt wails of those who have been shooting everyone on sight since the bandit skin went away. Their tears... sustain me.

What's this about?

Nah there was more going on there than what we could see. I looked back on the footage I have too.

There was more than one person shooting at us. The guy I shot was outta the picture by the time we heard 50cal fire.

Karma how'd you get killed in the end?

Did you see those crates and boxes by the control tower?

Well there was a few of us and we wanted to know what those crates and boxes were. I covered one guy over and he said the crates were packed with weapons and ammo. He made it back so I went over and just as I reached the control tower all hell broke loose, seemed was getting shot from a couple of different directions and it was quick in the end.

I don't think those crates should have been there, whether it was a bug or what I'm not sure, but when I respawned in Electro by the beach there was another crate sitting, with hundreds of assault rifles and ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭stuckin

Well there was a few of us and we wanted to know what those crates and boxes were. I covered one guy over and he said the crates were packed with weapons and ammo. He made it back so I went over and just as I reached the control tower all hell broke loose, seemed was getting shot from a couple of different directions and it was quick in the end.

I don't think those crates should have been there, whether it was a bug or what I'm not sure, but when I respawned in Electro by the beach there was another crate sitting, with hundreds of assault rifles and ammo.

Yeah we we were looking at those same crates, full of weapons and ammo and supplies, seemed too good to be true, I was hoping for a quick in and out at the airport but ended up being massive battle against zombies and humans that nearly got me killed. Got ammo I needed for my M4

Hmmmmmm well it wasnt either of us that shot you at the control tower that must have happened just after we left.

We appeared to be the first ones to reach that control tower and were taking our time when we heard gun fire and ran for cover (running caused zombies to chase us which we dealt with) Then we were in the building across from the control tower and I was on the roof. I took fire from an unknown location. Then later my friend took fire while at the control tower, he went to cover and then I noticed the guy in the tree line. Shot him.

Long story short we made our escape then while then hearing 50cal fire

Whoever the **** in Green Mountain tower was that just killed me, enjoy the sniper rifle, matches (which I've been trying forever to get) loads of food, knife and everything else.

Prick.

Anyone who takes a weapon from a spawned ammo crate is going to be globally banned.

armalongestdayammoboxes.jpg

Never take anything out of one of these boxes.

It attaches to your character, they review master server see you have a gun not in the mod. And then they ban you, even if you take if off a dead guy.

Spawned guns dont have mini pictures in the gear screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What's this about?

Devs are considering adding a heartbeat sound if you're looking directly at someone with really low humanity. Bandits and jerks would be a little more obvious to the rest of us, at least up close, which is nice.

Is there any particular trick to the crossbow? Because three times now and point blank I'm sure I've got them right in the sights, and every single time it misses, and I just take a pistol and do it the old fashioned way.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Anyone who takes a weapon from a spawned ammo crate is going to be globally banned.

armalongestdayammoboxes.jpg

Never take anything out of one of these boxes.

It attaches to your character, they review master server see you have a gun not in the mod. And then they ban you, even if you take if off a dead guy.

Spawned guns dont have mini pictures in the gear screen.

I did pick a silenced Mk14 I think it was out of one of these, few of us on scouting the airfield when we saw them, genuinely thought it was something new they added and we had moved into LOST territory, which would have been pretty cool. Hopefully don't receive a ban for something like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement