Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DayZ Zombie Mod for Arma 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I'll join you in DE8 in a second (if I can find it)

my arma 2 name is connla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

When i went back on again the moon was out so it was a lot brighter than earlier. Wandered through the hills and found a village. I noticed one house with the door open and went inside and saw that there was a zombie inside. I closed the door behind me with the intent of keeping anything that might hearthe gunshot out. Took careful aim and headshotted the zombie. Feeling proud with myself until i turned around and saw two more behind. Tried to run out the front door but id bloody closed it and trapped myself in there. So that was me dead.

Second try and i climbed a lighthouse to get my bearings and bloody fell off. I somehow survived and made my way to cherno though.

Awwww :(

I had spawned a new character on D8 and made the journey once again towards cherno. I picked up a chunk of food and soda and found after clearing out a barn a compound crossbow and 2 bolts. Despite being able to reclaim the shots and being silent. I found these useless in killing the zombies in the nearby gas station so resorted to my pistol. While scavanging around the office I turned to my surprise to find another survivor behind me scavanging.

I decided then and there to be a basterd.

I shot him down and took his gear and continued on to cherno. On the way I got a sniper rifle to replace my crossbow and a revolver with a chunk of ammo to replace my pistol. Full of gear and not even that far into cherno I made the decision to bypass the city this time and head in land but just as I had decided this *BANG some basterd shot me dead and took my stuff.

It's the karma and karma's a b*tch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Haha I wondered where you'd gone too!

I seem to be the only person heading north...just passed through Bor for all its emptyness... next stop is Drozihno.

I'm liking the Winchester... saved me a quite a few occasions so far.

Are all bandits player controlled or AI? I see people talking about them on chat but havent seen any myself.

• Advertisement

Are all bandits player controlled or AI? I see people talking about them on chat but havent seen any myself.

They are humans that have killed other players thus their humanity went too low so they became bandits. They have a different skin to normal friendly folk!

I was a bandit for a short time, you get a cool skin and feel like your penis is ten times larger as you gun down poor sods trying to get out of the rain...

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I was a bandit for a short time, you get a cool skin and feel like your penis is ten times larger as you gun down poor sods trying to get out of the rain...

How did that work out for you eh :P

with a bullet to the back of my head.

anyone know any servers that reverse the night/day schedule, I am sick of always playing in the dark (busy during the day)

Not that I know of.
    Only thing to do would be play on an american server with the obvious con being high pings :(

• Advertisement

I was on a couple of servers there that were daytime. I dont think they were american either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Just hopped onto a UK server now.

Was on a Finnish server which had some ace moments. Saved a guy in the church in Cherno so he brought me back to his friends which made us a group of 5, well armed guys.

Went back to Cherno to save someone but they were putting our location out on chat which meant 2 bandits came along and killed everyone :(

Went back to the church after I spawned, found a body at the door, quickly raided it for some sweet stuff and legged it off as some guy started popping shots at me. Bullets whizzing by my head and hitting the walls each side of me :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Had my first go tonight...and it's as good as i hoped. Started off in total darkness, with no clue what direction to go. Headed away from the coast, and found some houses/barns, with my first Zombie kill...pretty damn freaky in total darkness and raining. Got some food and water, and moved on to a nearby town. Took out a few zombies (me running away and shooting randomly), but didn't find much of use. Kept moving and came to a train station, with a loads of zombies. Managed to kill the ones i found, and explored the buildings. Cue 5 or 6 Z's searching for me downstairs with me hiding in a room with no ammo for 10 minutes :P

Eventually managed to escape, though i broke my leg on a door somewhere. Now i'm hiding in a lighthouse (didn't get far from the coast after all) with no ammo and no clue where to go next.

****ing brilliant :D

Playing on DB8 as well btw.

lighthouse probably puts you just east of cherno most likely, though I think there may be 1 or 2 other ones. But everytime I spawn near a lighthouse it's always been the cherno one.

I just got through my longest survival run tonight.

Spawned east of elektro and was searching a train yard when two heavily armed survivors surrounded me after I finished a gruelling fight with 3 zombies. Thankfully they didnt kill me and I tagged with them into elektro where they revealed it was under the heavy watch of a bandit who had stockpiled a tonne of weapons to entice victims into his killzone. I parted ways with my two friends to hear them both die as they tried to kill the bandit. I was less brave.

Instead I looted a nearby corpse for a lee enfield and skirted the edges. Originally I'd hoped to flank the bandit somehow who was supposable in the church, turned out he wasnt but I got a new backpack out of it. Nearby was a working helicopter, but it was out of fuel and in the building beyond that an ak47 and a tonne of soda and other supplies. Filled up though it was long personal debate if I should keep the enfield with 5 clips or take the ak with 2 clips. I opted for the ak, snuck into town and it must have been the direction I came from circling around cause I had ended up in the bandit's stockpile but in a blind spot to him, so I cleaned him, swapping my ak for a winchester with 16 clips of 12 gauge. I put my back to elektro and using a compass headed north. Where after clearing a small town of zombies I found a water fountain near a barn and decided this was a good spot to set up camp for the night. For once I survived to logging out and now I got a overloaded shotgun and more then enough food/water/medicine to keep me satisfied.

I have no idea where to go tomorrow. Need to find a map.

Survived my first day to night to day transition barely!

Was going well and knew where I was exactly until I went to "help" a new friend. Unfortunately he got killed and I got chased by a zombie priest whom I killed with my last bullet... so I'm now somewhere in the marked area below with no ammo and little to no supplies.

204555.JPG

Help me boardsies! I don't want to die!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Day 3 , still alive! Woot:cool:

We've made it to the NW airstrip through the night and to my disappointment there is fek all hardware there. A lot of miles for not much. My zed count is 180 at the moment so that makes me happy. We hidden down forest by airstrip so when we re-spawn hopefully Ill be able to get my M-16 finally. Did find a frag grenade which should be handy with a horde!

Great to see some boards heads together , even if we are at other ends of map!
    Will be trekking south to hook up with buddies by coast tomorrow, if we make it, maybe we can form a boards.ie zombie killing outfit!

Some folks taking this all very seriously over on american servers, vigilante gang 20 people big roaming around killing who they dont like. Real end of world stuff!

Bed..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This sounds like excellent fun but I just rebought Portal 2 for 7 quid on steam to play co-op with a buddy.....and Diablo 3 is out on tuesday. So the rational part of my brain just thinks I would buy ArmaII for this awesome mod and never play it. An by the time I did, everybody would have moved on and I'd end up playing alone.

Oh well. Bad timing I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Is DE8 the name of a server?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Am I wrong in thinking that it would be possible to host a server on a personal PC? I have the speed but probably not the hardware required but it could be wroth a shot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

ARMA2 is now on the front page of twitch tv streams ie the front page lists the most popular streams in real time,when you click to go to the arma2 page every stream is of this mod :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

This is the spec for my laptop. Will it run Arma 2?

Specifications
    Production description Asus K53SV-SX707V Display 15.6" - LED
    Resolution 1366 x 768 Processor Intel Core i7 2670QM - 2.2GHz Chipset
    Intel HM65 Memory 8 GB DDR3 Storage 640 GB - 5400 rpm Graphics card
    NVIDIA GeForce GT540M - 2GB Optical drive Dual Layer DVD ± ReWriter
    Card reader 4-in-1 Network Gigabit Ethernet Wireless network
    Wireless-N, Bluetooth 2.1 Webcam 0.3 MP Colour Bronze Connections 3x
    USB2.0, 1x USB3.0, 1x VGA, 1x HDMI, 1x Headphone, 1x Microphone
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 37.8 x 34.1 x 2.8 ~ 3.5 cm Weight 2.6kg Battery 6
    cell battery - 5200 mAh Operating system Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    EN Other software Office 2010 Starter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

weiland79 wrote: »
    This is the spec for my laptop. Will it run Arma 2?

Specifications
    Production description Asus K53SV-SX707V Display 15.6" - LED
    Resolution 1366 x 768 Processor Intel Core i7 2670QM - 2.2GHz Chipset
    Intel HM65 Memory 8 GB DDR3 Storage 640 GB - 5400 rpm Graphics card
    NVIDIA GeForce GT540M - 2GB Optical drive Dual Layer DVD ± ReWriter
    Card reader 4-in-1 Network Gigabit Ethernet Wireless network
    Wireless-N, Bluetooth 2.1 Webcam 0.3 MP Colour Bronze Connections 3x
    USB2.0, 1x USB3.0, 1x VGA, 1x HDMI, 1x Headphone, 1x Microphone
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 37.8 x 34.1 x 2.8 ~ 3.5 cm Weight 2.6kg Battery 6
    cell battery - 5200 mAh Operating system Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    EN Other software Office 2010 Starter

No problems there.

I've heard that if you download ARMA 2 for free the mod only requires you to purchase Arrowhead. That's €15 instead of €25. Maybe someone can confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    lighthouse probably puts you just east of cherno most likely, though I think there may be 1 or 2 other ones. But everytime I spawn near a lighthouse it's always been the cherno one.

I just got through my longest survival run tonight.

Spawned east of elektro and was searching a train yard when two heavily armed survivors surrounded me after I finished a gruelling fight with 3 zombies. Thankfully they didnt kill me and I tagged with them into elektro where they revealed it was under the heavy watch of a bandit who had stockpiled a tonne of weapons to entice victims into his killzone. I parted ways with my two friends to hear them both die as they tried to kill the bandit. I was less brave.

Instead I looted a nearby corpse for a lee enfield and skirted the edges. Originally I'd hoped to flank the bandit somehow who was supposable in the church, turned out he wasnt but I got a new backpack out of it. Nearby was a working helicopter, but it was out of fuel and in the building beyond that an ak47 and a tonne of soda and other supplies. Filled up though it was long personal debate if I should keep the enfield with 5 clips or take the ak with 2 clips. I opted for the ak, snuck into town and it must have been the direction I came from circling around cause I had ended up in the bandit's stockpile but in a blind spot to him, so I cleaned him, swapping my ak for a winchester with 16 clips of 12 gauge. I put my back to elektro and using a compass headed north. Where after clearing a small town of zombies I found a water fountain near a barn and decided this was a good spot to set up camp for the night. For once I survived to logging out and now I got a overloaded shotgun and more then enough food/water/medicine to keep me satisfied.

I have no idea where to go tomorrow. Need to find a map.

I wonder if this type of story illustrates an inherent weakness in the game. You put so much effort into surviving and then you die. The idea of respawning with a couple of can of beans unappealing.

Still, I'm looking forward to the time when I meet up with some friendlies. So far only zombies, the occasional bandit and investigating small towns by the coast. I've no idea where I am and I can't remember any the names of the towns. Must write them down!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I died :(

Was outside Pavlova and came across a cabin, and had to go in as I was out of ammo and food. Basically ran into 3 zombies who I tried to escape from, but they got me. Bloody brilliant game.

Bandits are starting to piss me off now. I'd managed to find an Enfield and some other good supplies but a bandit got the jump on me after following me into a building. Got sniped by one on top of a building last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I'm not having much luck getting into a game; I'm pretty sure I have everything installed correctly, and can actually connect to a game. However, all I get is a black screen with chat scrolling top-left and a "Waiting for server response" messsage.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    I'm not having much luck getting into a game; I'm pretty sure I have everything installed correctly, and can actually connect to a game. However, all I get is a black screen with chat scrolling top-left and a "Waiting for server response" messsage.

P.

I've been getting that when i join a server as well. I think it might be happening to a lot of people though because others were mentioning that they had the same message in the chat window of the servers i was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

I wonder if this type of story illustrates an inherent weakness in the game. You put so much effort into surviving and then you die. The idea of respawning with a couple of can of beans unappealing.

I'm sorry, this perma-death is the inherent strength in this game, that's the source of tension. without it its just another ho-hum zombie game. Puts value in your life. Survive a day or two, get some stuff and you will feel a lot better.

all I get is a black screen with chat scrolling top-left and a "Waiting for server response" messsage

everyone is suffering for 'awaiting server response' - the master servers are swamped because of sudden increase in popularity. Hopefully BIS are installing a mega server as we speak. very annoying. Try early in day/ late at night. After midnight GMT should be fine, is for me.

Bandits- get used to it, its what sets this game apart, kill them back.

Also, this mod is only in Alpha, and its free, so I can accept its teething problems.

Still, I'm looking forward to the time when I meet up with some friendlies. So far only zombies, the occasional bandit and investigating small towns by the coast. I've no idea where I am and I can't remember any the names of the towns. Must write them down!

I think thats what makes the game interesting, the fact that you have some much to lose you want to stay alive.

Hence instead of just restarting a new character, I'm going to continue my useless fate, no bullets, short on supplies but the will to live :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I eventually got in a game! Think the problem is due to the central server being overloaded.

Not sure if I found a bug. I have bandages, I'm bleeding (blood drop icon is flashing), but when I press Middle Mouse, it does not give me the option to bandage. Any ideas?

P.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement