Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Society interested in a ryder cup format?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

charlieIRL wrote: »
    1. Keano
    2. pistolpetes11
    3. charlieIRL
    4. scubapro
    5. link2007
    6. dines08
    7. Sheehanshiners
    8. denisoc16 (apologies!)
    9. Matt Santos

I thought I was on this list!!:confused:
    Story?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

Story?

We should have our own Ryder cup team style event between us.... The Excluded after being Included Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

Lads, sorry but i'm out ! My brother has only gone and got engaged (what an IDIOT!) and party on Saturday.
    Shouldn't be a bother filling my shoes anyway judging by the interest shown above.
    Sorry to let side down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

We originally just asked for 12 guys but it was decided that those lads who attended outings this year should be included. It would not be fair on the other team for us just roll up with 12 guys, most of us not knowing us who each other were.

We now have space for one person if you want to play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Story?

sorry MS, i missed your second post saying you could play so had taken you off the list.
    Would love to play in this as well but I am in College Fri and Sat's so these days are out for me! Cant play in the Society dates that fall on a Fri or Sat as well :(
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

We originally just asked for 12 guys but it was decided that those lads who attended outings this year should be included. It would not be fair on the other team for us just roll up with 12 guys, most of us not knowing us who each other were.

We now have space for one person if you want to play.
    Never played with your society but still up for the game

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Thanks but someone who withdrew has made themselves available again.

Please can everyone else who said they are playing make sure they will be there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Lads is it a fourball betterball?

The lowest HC of the group goes to scratch and the others are 3/4 the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Lads sorry for not confirming that I can make it already but I've been up to my t1ts in work etc. Not sure if it make a difference to your pairings but you I'm off 11 now not 13. Maybe ye are just being generous to me or it could have been what I was off at the last outing I made it to?

Not sure if I'll be able to hang around after. It'll depend on what time we finish. If myself & pistolpete win 7 & 6 I'll have plenty time for grub!!

Ben1977 wrote: »
    Lads is it a fourball betterball?

The lowest HC of the group goes to scratch and the others are 3/4 the difference?
    Ya it is fourball better ball.

As for the handicaps it will probably be that but we will sort that on Saturday morning.

• Advertisement

denisoc16 wrote: »
    If myself & pistolpete win 7 & 6 I'll have plenty time for grub!!

Surely ye can do better than that?!:D;)

Guys,
    I dont want to step on anyones toes but what is the crack with this?
    I know that I didnt get to play any of this year Society outings but I was pretty much snookered with College on Saturdays as was explained in an earlier post. If its the case that a team of 12 is settled upon I have no issues but it seems to be chopping and changing all the time!
    I can do Mt Wolsley Sat morning but not finding out Fri evening if ye know what I mean!:rolleyes:
    What is the current starting twelve please..

M

Guys,
    I dont want to step on anyones toes but what is the crack with this?
    I know that I didnt get to play any of this year Society outings but I was pretty much snookered with College on Saturdays as was explained in an earlier post. If its the case that a team of 12 is settled upon I have no issues but it seems to be chopping and changing all the time!
    I can do Mt Wolsley Sat morning but not finding out Fri evening if ye know what I mean!:rolleyes:
    What is the current starting twelve please..

M

As with all the society events so far this year, when its first announced we're playing somewhere we get loads of interest and when we get closer to the date there is always going to be people pulling out for different / personal reasons. We have no control over this. We can’t make people play when they can’t.
    After all the interest was noted for this event we decided to give first preference to lads who have supported and played society events through the year - its only fair as this is a society team event we are playing in on Saturday.
    Lads have said they were playing months ago, confirmed in the last few weeks but, due to unseen circumstances in the last few days have had to pull out. As this happened the next on the reserve list was asked. Unfortunately, as I said above, when you posted that you were not available this weekend I took your name (and others) off my list altogether, hence you not getting called up to fill in a spot. I initially started off with a list of over 30 names from lads who posted here and lads who expressed their interest here and via PM.

Sorry if you think if I’m having a rant & people mightn’t think its hard work but I can tell you a lot of time and effort goes into organising these events. There’s more to firing a few names on a list and turning up on the day.

Guys,
    Enjoy your day and best of luck with it.
    Cant ever remember posting that I could not play!:confused:
    After the initial post early in the year I said that it was not possible for me to play weekends etc but I subsequently posted that if it was in Oct then I would be available and to count me in. I was in all the lists that were put up (in position 9) and never thought anymore about it till I seen the "confirmed to go" list of the 8th of this month.
    Nobody understands the time it takes to organize these events than I do Charlie IRL and I appreciate the obvious work that this has taken but just to make sure that everybody understands... I didnt post that I could not play after being included on the initial list.

M

We are hoping to make this an annual event, so everyone is clear that only those who attend outings will be considered. I know the other society pick their top 12 so we may well adopt a similar system.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lads, best of luck on Saturday, I'll be glued to the box...it is being televised isn't it??? (If not, CharlieIRL, you may have a word with the other mods and tell them to turn a blind eye on any requests for Streams ) :D

Would love to be playing, didn't even put my name down as I thought there were too many confirmed months ago.
    A bit unfortunate for Matt Santos, but there's only one way to fix that, get out next year with us for a few outings.

I'd completely agree with keeping it to lads that attend the society outings and the idea of having the top 12 represent is a good one in my eyes. May drum up more interest in each outing.
    I'd have it the top 12 performing golfers throughout the year though as opposed to the lowest 12 handicappers. Not that many of us are low :)
    Maybe a league table next year with two wildcard picks, that won't start too many fights

It will the top 12 performing and be based on other criteria. So you cannot just turn up for 1 outing, score well and then be included.

BTW the society has a great prize on offer next year...more to come on that ;)

It will the top 12 performing and be based on other criteria. So you cannot just turn up for 1 outing, score well and then be included.

Do you get to become a Mod? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Anyone any idea on how Carlow did through the rain last night.
    The rain that fell here(tipp) I thought the whole island was going to sink.

Run that like a golfer of the year competition. All outings points added together with one excluded. Either your worst score or one you couldn't attend. Would make it fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

dines08 wrote: »

Run that like a golfer of the year competition. All outings points added together with one excluded. Either your worst score or one you couldn't attend. Would make it fair
    Ban me for life, can't make it this morning. Haven't got the number of the organisers sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Keano A Legend a couple of hours ago in Mount Wolseley...

A4FJGJdCYAIW3fa.jpg

blockic wrote: »
    Keano A Legend a couple of hours ago in Mount Wolseley...

A4FJGJdCYAIW3fa.jpg

How'd the matches finish Blockic? Congrats lads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Won 4-2.

3 wins, 2 halfs and one loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

blockic wrote: »
    Won 4-2.

3 wins, 2 halfs and one loss.

Great stuff. Cheers for the game johnny.

Rest that back it must be killing you from carrying me all day!!!

Superb team performance today! My troops did not let me down. The only match we lost it was 2 against 1!

Thanks to technodub for his efforts and if you don't make their team next year, we will accommodate you!!

CHAMPIONS!

Well done to all involved today lads, what a fantastic day out. Nearly every single game was evenly matched and pity we had a last minute drop out but sure what can you do but battle on.
    Weather was great, course was great and the golf was excellent. Fair play to Keano for settling the ship in our group so many times - ya must have been watching Ian Poulter videos all week!!!
    Finally thanks to technodub and the lads - what a great bunch of lads to play against, pure gentlemen. From their great golf to they auld matchplay quotes thrown in during the rounds. Can't wait for the next one.

Pic from outside after we finished to round off a great day.......
    46299_10151034161091901_1556692364_n.jpg

and finally, what we were playing for......................and what we intend to retain next year.............
    155228_10151034070701901_705251674_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I anticipate that the Boards societies are going to have record attendance for next year with so many people trying to get on the team ;)

• Advertisement

I anticipate that the Boards societies are going to have record attendance for next year with so many people trying to get on the team ;)

Could really be onto something here lads. Set out some rules for qualifying for the team and it would be another enjoyable aspect of the society outings. Well done today

Advertisement