Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you are pregnant , don't bother with MY school

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

lazygal wrote: »

I also bet no male entrant to this or any other school was asked if they have gotten a girl pregnant or have a child with a girl.
    I bet no male entrant to this school was asked to prove that they have never masturbated, given that masturbation goes against the Catholic ethos of the school.

If you're going to have a Catholic ethos, then do it properly. No masturbators, no homosexual, no females who think that they are able to be priests, no readers of Fr Brian Darcy's column in the Sunday Worrdild etc etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ash23 wrote: »
    Just a point to note also folks, the government are upping the age to start school to a minimum of 5.

wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

bluewolf wrote: »
    wtf?

It was in the news last summer but I don't think anything has been officially announced

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/education/latest-news/official-school-starting-age-to-be-raised-to-5-years-old-2851045.html

Maybe they won't go ahead with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Im still trying to fathom how it is a Catholic/Christian ethos to turn away from education a girl who got pregnant. I was raised catholic and though now defected and atheist I know my bible better than most catholics and Im 99.999% sure this is not the christian thing to do.
    Can anyone enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Im still trying to fathom how it is a Catholic/Christian ethos to turn away from education a girl who got pregnant. I was raised catholic and though now defected and atheist I know my bible better than most catholics and Im 99.999% sure this is not the christian thing to do.
    Can anyone enlighten me?

Its pretty simple. In Ireland the most Catholic people tend to be the least Christian of all. They love the rules, but seem to forget the Jesus tolerance and forgiveness stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Dboy85 wrote: »
    Fixed that for you :) Hasn't she got more important issues like caring for a baby. How would one go to school with a new born at home? She should be less angry at the world and start to give a toss about the human she has to care for. Any parent worth their salt will tell you that sacrifice is a big part of caring for children. Its her parents that should be getting the stick and not the school.
    skregs wrote: »
    Oh good for you. Not the least bit of concern about the welfare of your child and how he/she is coping without seeing a mother all day, but you're doing well. That's so great.

You 2 should lobby the government to get crech's, au pairs and child minders banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

From Tipp fm

01 May, 2012 - Pregnant 16 year old refused admission.

A County Tipperary school is at the centre of the controversy over its decision to refuse admission to a pregnant 16 year old.

The now 19 year old is said to have felt ashamed and embarrassed after being told St Joseph's College in Borrisoleigh did not accept single mothers.

The story made headlines yesterday after it was highlighted by the Ombudsman for Children Emily Logan.

The girl applied to the school in 2009 after attending two other secondary schools.

It's claimed when school founder and manager Padraig O'Shea discovered the girl was pregnant he told her mother the 16 year old would not be accepted in St Joseph's because the school did not take such girls.

Mr O'Shea is also said to have refused her admission to the school after she gave birth.

That school is 3 miles away from me. I know of that man basically if i described him it would be censored. He needs to be removed. VEC part funds that school i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

chris2008x wrote: »
    From Tipp fm

A County Tipperary school is at the centre of the controversy over its decision to refuse admission to a pregnant 16 year old.

The now 19 year old is said to have felt ashamed and embarrassed after being told St Joseph's College in Borrisoleigh did not accept single mothers.

The story made headlines yesterday after it was highlighted by the Ombudsman for Children Emily Logan.

The girl applied to the school in 2009 after attending two other secondary schools.

It's claimed when school founder and manager Padraig O'Shea discovered the girl was pregnant he told her mother the 16 year old would not be accepted in St Joseph's because the school did not take such girls.

Mr O'Shea is also said to have refused her admission to the school after she gave birth.

That school is 3 miles away from me. I know of that man basically if i described him it would be censored. He needs to be removed. VEC part funds that school i think.

I had a sneaky feeling it was that school, I'm not surprised in the slightest!
    I went to that school. Padraig O'Shea is an absolute prick for this.

The "Ethos" of the school was never very catholic. Sure, religion was tought (barely) but it was religion in a general sense, never particularly focused on Catholicism. We had masses every now and then, but that was more O'Shea's input than any of the teachers. I don't even think the school is considered a Catholic institution in the eyes of the church.
    In fact, I'm still quite friendly with a few of the teachers there, and I can't imagine they're very impressed with what has happened here.

O'Shea isn't even the principal any more. He stepped down a few years back, and his son is principal now AFAIK, he just acts as the "face" of the school. He should have retired years back, his actions were always erratic and confusing.

At least one teacher has quit their post there in the last five years due to ethical disagreements with O'Shea.

Also, he's probably forgotten about it already, the guy definitely has a spot of alzheimers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Can anyone enlighten me?

I don't think it's part of the Catholic/Christian ethos to bugger little boys, either. But it's been known to happen and doesn't seem to upset some of the biggest honchos in the church, who clearly think that those who have committed this crime should be accommodated by simply transferring them elsewhere or sending them to some therapy courses of dubious value.:)

I am assuming that the girl does not intend to take her baby into class with her and perhaps even breastfeed it in front of the other pupils. Even I would consider that as perhaps a bridge too far, so what has her marital status/parental status to do with anything in the classroom or her ability to study successfully?:rolleyes:

If she merely wants to attend school and is being denied this possibility because she has a child, she is being clearly discriminated against. And I don't think the clause in the Act that gives churches an opt-out on ethical/religious grounds would necessarily work if she took the case to the Equality Tribunal http://www.equalitytribunal.ie/Home1.html, which I certainly hope she does.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Woman on Pat Kenny today from a Catholic schools organisation ( didn't get the name ) said the school wasn't a member.

This happened in 2009! Child is now 2!

I guess the process of making a complaint means we don't hear about these things until long after the fact.

Makes you wonder how many other potential pupils have been turned away on account of this bigot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

When i was laid off and unemployed before i got another job i called that school to ask about business course it was him who answered. Memory was a bit bad he didn't know they did courses in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

roast wrote: »
    I had a sneaky feeling it was that school, I'm not surprised in the slightest!
    I went to that school. Padraig O'Shea is an absolute prick for this.

The "Ethos" of the school was never very catholic. Sure, religion was tought (barely) but it was religion in a general sense, never particularly focused on Catholicism. We had masses every now and then, but that was more O'Shea's input than any of the teachers. I don't even think the school is considered a Catholic institution in the eyes of the church.
    In fact, I'm still quite friendly with a few of the teachers there, and I can't imagine they're very impressed with what has happened here.

O'Shea isn't even the principal any more. He stepped down a few years back, and his son is principal now AFAIK, he just acts as the "face" of the school. He should have retired years back, his actions were always erratic and confusing.

At least one teacher has quit their post there in the last five years due to ethical disagreements with O'Shea.

Also, he's probably forgotten about it already, the guy definitely has a spot of alzheimers!
    Also went to the school for a short while. Padraig stepped down as principal in 2009 and 1 of the teachers replaced him. not sure if she is still principal
    Religion class was mainly watching videos. Everyone had to pay out for a religion book that was used about once a year
    Padraig is still manager of the school and still goes into the school most days
    There was 3 or 4 teachers who have quit teaching in borris the past 5-6 years and he got rid of another teacher or two over ethical disagreements

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

eviltwin wrote: »
    Woman on Pat Kenny today from a Catholic schools organisation ( didn't get the name ) said the school wasn't a member..

+1, there was a similar spokesman on the 6.01 news last night balking at the decision to refuse the girl a place and distancing themselves, rightly, from this numpty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭air assault

chris2008x wrote: »
    From Tipp fm

i knew it was that school, O'Shea is a complete nut case anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Delancey wrote: »
    How eloquent , how accurate - well I DID say that questioning the liberal agenda would invite the wrath of the hordes.........:)

Still haven't got back to me re this. It would seem questioning others 'agenda' invites the 'flight of the earls'.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78434271&postcount=540

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

charlemont wrote: »
    I'm sure schools come under education and that is supposed to be a right. Although you may well be right, Being a Catholic school its probably exempt from certain legislation.

I'll take a wild guess that this contains some rules on discrimination, The Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/charter/default_en.htm

Its reputation might be enhanced to some but not to all, We better say nothing so or we'll have a gigantic queue of people from the continent trying to get into that school.

Are Protestant schools not also exempt from the legislation?

There is no EU legislation to stop denominational schools discriminating.

One of the fundamental rights of the EU is the right to freedom of religion - including the right of Catholics to be Catholics. Nor is there any law of the EU or the UN which holds that one person's rights exist in isolation from the rights of other people.

The reputation of the school would probably be enhanced in the eyes of most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

I bet no male entrant to this school was asked to prove that they have never masturbated, given that masturbation goes against the Catholic ethos of the school.

If you're going to have a Catholic ethos, then do it properly. No masturbators, no homosexual, no females who think that they are able to be priests, no readers of Fr Brian Darcy's column in the Sunday Worrdild etc etc.

What would be wrong with that? Please stop interfering in the administration of Catholic schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

crucamim wrote: »

One of the fundamental rights of the EU is the right to freedom of religion - including the right of Catholics to be Catholics. Nor is there any law of the EU or the UN which holds that one person's rights exist in isolation from the rights of other people.

The reputation of the school would probably be enhanced in the eyes of most people.

I'm sure this is what Jesus would have wanted. Dividing children's eduation and the right to exclude people were among his central messages, were they not?

In cloud cuckoo land perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What would be wrong with that? Please stop interfering in the administration of Catholic schools.

As long as those schools are being funded by the taxpayer, we'll interfere all we like.

• Advertisement

What would be wrong with that?
    Would you like to explain how the school should test teenage boys to find out if they have masturbated?
    Please stop interfering in the administration of Catholic schools.
    I'll stop interfering when I stop paying for them. Quinn should cut all funding to this school at the end of the academic year. That'll soften O'Shea's cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭zara100

i knew it was that school, O'Shea is a complete nut case anyway

i also had a feeling it was this school its a clicky school with lots of problems swept under the carpet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I'll stop interfering when I stop paying for them. Quinn should cut all funding to this school at the end of the academic year. That'll soften O'Shea's cough.

Punish every student and teacher in the school, how is that helping? How much are you paying for this school as a matter of interest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

You could save yourself a lot of time by simply copying any post you have ever posted in any forum and simply pasting it over and over again. Im sure no body would notice so long as you include plenty of straw men, claims about persecution of catholics, a few accusations about every body being rabidly anti Catholic and then some hysterics along the lines of "who will protect the little catholic children from the atheists!!"

hondasam wrote: »
    Punish every student and teacher in the school, how is that helping? How much are you paying for this school as a matter of interest?

In the long run it could only be beneficial to the students and staff if state funding was withheld until a proper management structure was put in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

prinz wrote: »
    In the long run it could only be beneficial to the students and staff if state funding was withheld until a proper management structure was put in place.

Parents are not forced to send their children there. This argument is about someone refused entry so the school must have something going for it. I think the principle will probably step down and that can't be a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

zara100 wrote: »
    i also had a feeling it was this school its a clicky school with lots of problems swept under the carpet

The biggest problem being O'Shea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

I think you are wrong and have a very low opinion of people. i think that most people, regardless of religion and back ground , are decent people with a natural sense of equality, decency and empathy. Just because a few posters here seem to be other wise i dont think you should allow them to colour your view of the general public.

Parents are not forced to send their children there. This argument is about someone refused entry so the school must have something going for it. I think the principle will probably step down and that can't be a bad thing.

I'm sure it has something going for it, but whatever it is can only be helped by having a proper enrollment policy, a board of management, an appeals process, a parents association with representation on the BOM, and someone with a shred of professionalism and courtesy at the helm etc.

• Advertisement

Punish every student and teacher in the school, how is that helping?
    It is helping in the same way that cutting off a gangrenous limb or cutting out a cancerous tumour helps.
    How much are you paying for this school as a matter of interest?
    I'm paying the salary of every teacher, the salary of the school secretary, the salary of the school caretaker and the capitation fee for every pupil - probably about 90%-95% of the budget of the school.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement