Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tennessee Titans Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Heffo001

Webster said there are a number of different ways Titans could go with their first round pick. Then Munchak said he doesn't believe there is a big gap between Warmack/Cooper and the 2nd tier of interior OL. Could just be a smokescreen, but I've always been doubtful that we'll spend a top 10 pick on a Guard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah read that too Heffo, very interesting. It could well be a smoke screen it might well not be! Hard to know tbh!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not much of a surprise, thoughts on the second?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I think we'll go BPA. Carradein and Taylor are top prospects that fill a need. and then Cyprien, brown and te'o are top prospects how would be day 1 upgrades.

Not much of a surprise, thoughts on the second?

A trade back could be in order depending on whether or not there is a run on QBs at the start if the 2nd. If not I'm thinking DE or CB with WR as a possibility are the most likely.

We could do with adding another pass rusher and more depth at DE so Carradine, Moore, Okafor and Hunt could all be possibilities.

At CB I'm thinking Jamar Taylor would be ideal if he fell to 40th, but while I expected Banks to fall I think he would be excellent value at 40 as the Titans said they are looking at getting in a press corner and that's his game and he has great length. His team mate Slay could be a possibility as well.

WR isn't a major need imo but with the rumours about Washington and the possibility of Hunter or Allen still being on the board it could be considered. Maybe someone like Robert Woods or Quinton Patton as well.

Other than that there are some good DTs available. But we have good players at DT already and while I really like Short as a prospect I can't see that happening. Cyprien or Swearinger could be players to watch out for as well, but again we seem pretty ok in the Safety department.

• Advertisement

I think we'll go BPA. Carradein and Taylor are top prospects that fill a need. and then Cyprien, brown and te'o are top prospects how would be day 1 upgrades.

Not sure about that, I love McCarthy as a player, but he's just injured to much. We definitely need LB depth, but I hope they take it in the middle or later rounds as I'm very happy with our 3 young starting LBs. Although there is good value available at LB so you could be right.

Another player I'm interested in watching from this point is Quanterus Smith, had 12.5 sacks through 10 games in 2012 before he got injured. Played mostly lowly opposition at Western Kentucky, however they played Bama this year. Played as well as any other pas rusher that played against that beastly o-line and got 3 sacks. Gave Fluker (Just selected 11 overall) and Kouandjio (expected to go 1st round next year, might have gone in the 1t this year if he declared) serious problems off the edge. Due to his ACL tear he han't been able to work out at all prior to the draft as far as I'm aware, but I think he could start to come into play now.

So what do we think about Hunter? I like him as a prospect but I'm not too sure on giving up a 3rd next year to move up for it. After looking at some tape of prospects still on the board today I really like Jamar Taylor and am quite intrigued by Carradine. Also there would have been a good chance of Keenan Allen or Hunter falling to 40th overall if they had their heart set on WR imo. That being said I'm not disappointed by it either, high risk high reward.

I really really hate it. Its the kind of pick I expect from the Titans.

I really really hate it. Its the kind of pick I expect from the Titans.

I think the Titans have done really well the last couple of drafts. Lots of promising players who can start in the NFL. Maybe just lacking a star player so far, Hunter has the potential to be a star imo.

Pretty happy with day 2 as a whole. Hunter wasn't my preferred pick but I'm happy enough with it all the same. Really happy with the Wreh-Wilson pick early in the 3rd and another freakish athlete at LB in Gooden at the end of the 3rd will provide some much needed cover and possibly a rotation option. Would like another pass rusher and maybe a developmental QB in the next few rounds. An RB would be nice too as there are still some decent names out there. Pretty much all our needs filled though so now it should be fun to sit back and see what happens with the remaining picks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I'd be vey happy as a Titans fan with the off-season. Warmack and Hunter are 2 day 1 starters & along with Levitre from free agency it gives Locker every chance to succeed.

The corner Wreh-Wilson is also very talented. Don't know much about the LB ye picked up.

Right.. I was pretty wasted last night, in the taxi home I read we took a WR. I went to bed but it appears it's true! What did we give up for the move up in picks?

Right.. I was pretty wasted last night, in the taxi home I read we took a WR. I went to bed but it appears it's true! What did we give up for the move up in picks?

A 2nd this year, 7th this year and a 3rd next year. Wasn't mad about giving that up when we had other players on the board who were in a position of greater need and would have fallen to 40. At the same time I like Hunter as a prospect and think he could be really good for us, interesting to see what happens with Nate now.

Webster said Hunter was on a different level to anyone they had left on their board. They made some enquiries on Thursday night about moving back into the end of the 1st to take him.

Wonder if they'll consider adding his former QB Bray as a developmental QB.

Heffo001 wrote: »
    A 2nd this year, 7th this year and a 3rd next year. Wasn't mad about giving that up when we had other players on the board who were in a position of greater need and would have fallen to 40. At the same time I like Hunter as a prospect and think he could be really good for us, interesting to see what happens with Nate now.

Webster said Hunter was on a different level to anyone they had left on their board. They made some enquiries on Thursday night about moving back into the end of the 1st to take him.

Wonder if they'll consider adding his former QB Bray as a developmental QB.

I've been saying that for awhile on boards, i think bray has the potential to be the best QB in this draft class. He has top arm talent but lacks maturity. I hope we take him if he can be got with a 5th.

I've been saying that for awhile on boards, i think bray has the potential to be the best QB in this draft class. He has top arm talent but lacks maturity. I hope we take him if he can be got with a 5th.

Ya I like Bray's potential. I think I'd like a bit of a gunslinger as a backup QB considering the WR talent we have on the roster now. If not Bray then Tyler Wilson could be another option. Maybe Matt Scott if they want a QB more similar to Locker.

Still can't believe only 3 QBs are gone in the first 3 rounds. Could end up really bennefiting the Titans as I didn't want them to spend a pick from the first 3 rounds on a developmental QB. But as it turns out almost all the QBs are still available on day 3.

Hoping we add to the pass rush with one of the next two picks. Okafor, Quanterus Smith are two prospects with good production that could be considered while there are a number of propects like Devin Taylor, William Gholston and Michael Buchanan who might lack some production but are good athletes that could be coached up. Really lacking depth behind Morgan and Wimbley so I'd prefer to add someone in the 4th or 5th while these prospects are still available rather than a prospect like Solomon in the 7th as we did last year.

So Bray and Da'Rick Rodgers go undrafted. Jim Wyatt says Titans not even interested in getting Bray as a UFA. Character concerns must be much worse than I thought.

Wyatt says he expects Titans to go after Jordan Rodgers of Vanderbilt though. Wonder if they have any interest in trying to keep Da'Rick Rodgers in state?

So Bray and Da'Rick Rodgers go undrafted. Jim Wyatt says Titans not even interested in getting Bray as a UFA. Character concerns must be much worse than I thought.

Wyatt says he expects Titans to go after Jordan Rodgers of Vanderbilt though. Wonder if they have any interest in trying to keep Da'Rick Rodgers in state?

Im very disheartened about our draft. I honestly think we had one of worst drafts of all teams. Time will tell obviously but other than warmack there isn't one pick I like, not one.

Bray signed with the chiefs apparently

A solid but not spectacular draft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 pepperfoot

i dont give the titans that much credit. colts will be second in the division and will move on the playoff with a wild card V

pepperfoot wrote: »
    i dont give the titans that much credit. colts will be second in the division and will move on the playoff with a wild card V

It is going to be tough.

The Titans should have one of the best o-lines in the business, which should lead to a much improved running game. Combine that with Hunter it should mean more time for Locker to throw meaning he's more accurate.

On the D the addition of Pollard (and Williams) should mean our D becomes more intense..

A lot of shoulds and no guarantees..

pepperfoot wrote: »

Personally I think the colts are completely over rated, I tjimk titans are better than colts in every area except for qb. I do fancy the titans to finish second in the division but that's down to a strong free agency and not our weak draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Thought this was the Bears thread. Oops!

Im very disheartened about our draft. I honestly think we had one of worst drafts of all teams. Time will tell obviously but other than warmack there isn't one pick I like, not one.

Really? I'm pretty happy with the draft and the front office have done a great job of picking up good to great players in the middle rounds of the last two drafts. I can understand you dislike the Hunter choice, personally that wouldn't have been my first choice, but I really like Hunter and a lot of teams had a 1st round grade on him. What disappointed you after that?

Here's how I saw it after the 2nd:

3rd Round

Blidi Wreh-Wilson - We needed corner depth and before the draft the coaches talked about looking to get more physical corners who were good at press coverage as Greg Williams wants to install more Blitz packages. I'd heard good things about him leading up to the draft, he comes from a lower profile programme who had a number of DBs drafted so thats probably an indicator of good coaching and he has good measurables. I looked at his tape and was pretty happy with what I saw, isn't a ball hawk but is physical with WRs and breaks up passes with his long arms.

Zavier Gooden - This pick I'm not completely sold on as there were a number of prospects I liked still available at his stage. However LB depth was a big need going into this draft and he's obviously very athletic but I'm not sure how much of a football player he is. However adding him to Brown gives us probably the most athletic LB corps in the NFL. After last years draft I saw plenty of people who said Brown was just and athlete playing football and was afraid to be physical, however Brown looked like he could become a very god player especially towards the end of last season. Ayers, McCarthy and Brown have all been good picks in the last two draft so hopefully they can develop Goodens raw talent and turn him into one as well.

4th Round

Brian Schwenke - Again there are players I would have picked ahead of him as I was happy with Warmack, Leivtre at Guard and one of Velasco or Turner at Centre with the other covering all three positions. However ignoring that he is great value in the 4th imo as lots of people had a late 2nd to early 3rd grade on him. I'm not sure there's much between Schwenke and Frederick who the Cowboys took in the first. Mayock seemed really high on him and I think he'll come in and challenge for the Centre spot day 1. I could only find one game of his and after watching it my only criticism is he was horrible at snapping the ball. However I think he may only have move to centre this season so hopefully that will improve. He could help transform what was one of the worst interior offensive lines in the NFL last year into one of the best.

5th Round

Lavar Edwards - I'm pretty optimistic about this pick. Yes he was never a started in college, but that's because he played behind two 1st round talents (I think Montgomery would have gone in the first without his character issues). He still had pretty impressive numbers as a rotational player and comes from a very good programme meaning he should be well coached. We needed to add DE depth and I think he's good value here as a number of draft analysts had as high as a 3rd round grade on him.

6th Round

Khalid Wooten - Don't know much about him but he seems to have had decent production in college, albeit against lower competition. I'm going to put my faith in the staff on this one considering Jason McCourty was picked up in the 6th round while Verner was selected in the 4th so they have had some success in drafting good CBs in the later rounds. Also another guy who can play press coverage.

7th Round

Daimion Stafford - Like Wooten don't really know anything about him and haven't seen any tape on him. Was voted first team Big Ten by the media and second team by the coaches in 2012. At the end of the day he's 7th round compensatory pick, even if he manages to contribute on special teams great, if not I'm not going to let it affect my opinion on the draft as a whole.

All in all I think through the Draft and Free Agency I think we've addressed our needs much better than last year. My biggest doubt going into this year is Locker. However the more I think about it, it was only two years ago that Fitzpatrick was given a large contract after starting the season very well, only for his performances to drop significantly. I have faith Locker will manage to at least be decent with the new O-line help and the weapons he has. But if he doesn't work out I think Fitzpatrick will be a good stop gap for a year, in Buffalo he had very limited WR options. The Titans have a lot of potential at the WR position with Wright, Britt and Hunter with solid if unspectacular options in Washington and Williams. Add to that the hope that we'll be much better running the football this year and I think there's reason to be optimistic.

We didn't go BPA or best player for our biggest need. I don't know what system we used in drafting.

Round 1: Chance Warmack - In my opinion the best player in the draft. Much better run blocker than Cooper and just as good at pass blocking. Fits our team better than any other lineman. With the addition of Warmack we have the best O line in the league (IMO)

Round 2: Justin Hunter - Gave up way to much to grab a player who I don't believe is an improvement on what we already have. I hope he proves me wrong but to me this is one of the worse picks in the draft. Why I think this, we have glaring needs, especially our pass rush, we could have gotten arguable the best pass rusher in the draft in Carradine by moving up to this spot. We could have got first round talent Corners by moving to this spot in taylor or banks.

Round 3: Wreh-Wilson - Best corner available at the time of this pick. So it is what it is. Not agile enough to play the slot in my opinion and I worry about his speed on the outside if he gets beaten. However like I said best corner available at the time and he does has potential.

Round 3: Zavier Gooden - A raiders type selection, selected because of his speed. I can only see a future for him if he can adapt to be a pollard type safety. Like you said yourself, there were numerous more proven players we could have taken at this position with this pick. It wouldn't have taken much to move up from this spot and grab damontre moore even.

Round 4: Brian Schwenke - I like this guy but its not a position of need. If Velasco is on his way out at the end of the coming season or something like that well then its a good pick. If not I just don't understand us signing our 6th? Olineman this offseason.

Round 5: Lavar Edwards - Too late to address our biggest area of need. This guy brings depth but he isn't good enough to push for a starting job. Maybe I'm being harsh on Edwards, this would be a good pick if we had already taken a DE with our second pick. As it stands our pass rush is no better than last year and it wasn't good last year.

Round 6: Khalid Whooten - I'm assuming he was picked as a return man, we'll see how he turns out.

Round 7: Damien Stafford - We have short term solutions to our safety problems through free agency. Stafford isn't a long term solution, will be surprised if he makes the team. I was hoping for a long term solution this draft, with so much experience on the team at the moment in the safety positions it would be ideal for someone to come in and learn behind them. We didn't do that.

My thoughts on the draft is that we had some serious area's in need of an upgrade and only our first pick really produced that. We took some good players but they were simply a luxury causing us to miss out on some needs (Hunter and schwenke).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

With all the O-line talent ye brought in do any titans fans think ye might bring in some zone read offence? Locker has the athleticism and it could open up some room for CJ! Personally (from the viewpoint of a Colts fan) I'm happy to see Locker sit in the pocket and try to beat ya like a "traditional" QB as I don't think he's accurate enough!

taidghbaby wrote: »
    With all the O-line talent ye brought in do any titans fans think ye might bring in some zone read offence? Locker has the athleticism and it could open up some room for CJ! Personally (from the viewpoint of a Colts fan) I'm happy to see Locker sit in the pocket and try to beat ya like a "traditional" QB as I don't think he's accurate enough!

It is a logical move, when you consider we signed a great blocking tight end in walker as well. I think a read option would be a great move for us.

We didn't go BPA or best player for our biggest need. I don't know what system we used in drafting.

Round 1: Chance Warmack - In my opinion the best player in the draft. Much better run blocker than Cooper and just as good at pass blocking. Fits our team better than any other lineman. With the addition of Warmack we have the best O line in the league (IMO)

Round 2: Justin Hunter - Gave up way to much to grab a player who I don't believe is an improvement on what we already have. I hope he proves me wrong but to me this is one of the worse picks in the draft. Why I think this, we have glaring needs, especially our pass rush, we could have gotten arguable the best pass rusher in the draft in Carradine by moving up to this spot. We could have got first round talent Corners by moving to this spot in taylor or banks.

Round 3: Wreh-Wilson - Best corner available at the time of this pick. So it is what it is. Not agile enough to play the slot in my opinion and I worry about his speed on the outside if he gets beaten. However like I said best corner available at the time and he does has potential.

Round 3: Zavier Gooden - A raiders type selection, selected because of his speed. I can only see a future for him if he can adapt to be a pollard type safety. Like you said yourself, there were numerous more proven players we could have taken at this position with this pick. It wouldn't have taken much to move up from this spot and grab damontre moore even.

Round 4: Brian Schwenke - I like this guy but its not a position of need. If Velasco is on his way out at the end of the coming season or something like that well then its a good pick. If not I just don't understand us signing our 6th? Olineman this offseason.

Round 5: Lavar Edwards - Too late to address our biggest area of need. This guy brings depth but he isn't good enough to push for a starting job. Maybe I'm being harsh on Edwards, this would be a good pick if we had already taken a DE with our second pick. As it stands our pass rush is no better than last year and it wasn't good last year.

Round 6: Khalid Whooten - I'm assuming he was picked as a return man, we'll see how he turns out.

Round 7: Damien Stafford - We have short term solutions to our safety problems through free agency. Stafford isn't a long term solution, will be surprised if he makes the team. I was hoping for a long term solution this draft, with so much experience on the team at the moment in the safety positions it would be ideal for someone to come in and learn behind them. We didn't do that.

My thoughts on the draft is that we had some serious area's in need of an upgrade and only our first pick really produced that. We took some good players but they were simply a luxury causing us to miss out on some needs (Hunter and schwenke).

I'd say we went BPA. We moved up to get a played who was "on a different level" to other prospects left on our board. There was talk of Wreh-Wilson going much higher than where we got him and he fit a need. Maybe the FO had Gooden high on their board and Schwenke and Edwards are others who could have gone a round or two so were arguably BPA. The Titans had Wooten in for a visit so they obviously rated him as well.

I think We'll have to agree to disagree on Hunter, I agree Caradine would've been nice but who knows what he'll be like after his ACL. He may not have been ready to add to our pass rush at all next season while I think Hunter gives usone of the youngest and most exciting WR corps in the NFL.

On Wreh-Wilson, I'd think Verner is more likely to move back to slot and Wreh-Wilson play outside. If you're worried about Wreh-Wilson's speed I'm not sure why you'd want us to draft Banks in the 2nd.

In terms of our pass rush, I think it was much better towards the end of last year when we started rushing Ayers and Brown on occasion, with both picking up a number of sacks. There's also talk of playing Ayers as a DE on obvious passing situations. Morgan also had his best year so far and showed some signs of breaking out and hopefully Sammie Lee Hill will help the two DE's by forcing some more double teams. The fact that the Titans also targeted press cover corners also indicates that they are looking to be more aggressive at getting at QBs with Greg Williams in the fold. I'm hoping that a mix of our young defence getting better, experience added to safety and Greg Williams shaking things up a bit will lead to an improvement next season.

• Advertisement

I'd say we went BPA. We moved up to get a played who was "on a different level" to other prospects left on our board. There was talk of Wreh-Wilson going much higher than where we got him and he fit a need. Maybe the FO had Gooden high on their board and Schwenke and Edwards are others who could have gone a round or two so were arguably BPA. The Titans had Wooten in for a visit so they obviously rated him as well.

I think We'll have to agree to disagree on Hunter, I agree Caradine would've been nice but who knows what he'll be like after his ACL. He may not have been ready to add to our pass rush at all next season while I think Hunter gives usone of the youngest and most exciting WR corps in the NFL.

On Wreh-Wilson, I'd think Verner is more likely to move back to slot and Wreh-Wilson play outside. If you're worried about Wreh-Wilson's speed I'm not sure why you'd want us to draft Banks in the 2nd.

In terms of our pass rush, I think it was much better towards the end of last year when we started rushing Ayers and Brown on occasion, with both picking up a number of sacks. There's also talk of playing Ayers as a DE on obvious passing situations. Morgan also had his best year so far and showed some signs of breaking out and hopefully Sammie Lee Hill will help the two DE's by forcing some more double teams. The fact that the Titans also targeted press cover corners also indicates that they are looking to be more aggressive at getting at QBs with Greg Williams in the fold. I'm hoping that a mix of our young defence getting better, experience added to safety and Greg Williams shaking things up a bit will lead to an improvement next season.

yeah we'll just agree to disagree.

In regards to titans going BPA, if that is the case, I really question their ratings of the prospects. You yourself said that in several cases there were others you would have rathered draft.

In regards to banks though, he is far and away a better player than wreh. Speed only matters if you miss tackles and need to recover which unfortunately happened to wreh a lot in college. Banks is possibly the best at tackling of the corners in this draft.

In regards to Carradine's acl, considering how well athletes are recovering from this injury these days, it shouldn't be a worry. Even Hunter came back from an ACL injury.

I'm not as convinced with our WR corps as your are. I think hunter is as inconsistent as they come, the potential to make big plays but drops way too many balls. Sound like someone else?

With all that said, until the end of the coming season or even the following season we really won't know how good this draft is. So don't get me wrong I hope it turns out you are right and not me.

Advertisement