Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That is great news plodder.

I just ran in the last test run at the weekend for a new parkrun starting on my doorstep in a couple of weeks, but it's taken them a while to get to this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

plodder wrote: »
    Bump..

Just to let you all know, we are starting a parkrun event at Malahide Castle, Malahide, Co. Dublin on Sat November 10th at 9:30am, and every Saturday at the same time from then on.

The parkrun.ie website isn't quite ready yet. But, we have a Facebook page Malahide parkrun which will be updated with all the details as they are ready. Hope to see some of you for the first event and maybe as regulars too. Thanks!
    :) well done great news there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hats off to you plodder. Great to see the initiative. Best of luck with it. Hopefully make it over soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

That's great news. I'll be there for the first one.

Did a couple of Parkruns in London, and they were great.

Well done & Good Luck Plodder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Great news Plodder, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭plodder

Thanks for the good wishes folks. Hopefully it lives up to expectations. One good thing about the format is, if we mess up one week, it's only seven days before we get to fix things and try again.

Also, just want to acknowledge the input (and help going forward) from boards' own Peckham.

Thanks!
    Plodder (Michael)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

Would be great to see lots of boardsies at this inaugural Parkrun event in Ireland. I'm very confident that it will spread to other locations around Ireland, but will need other people like Michael with the determination to drive it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

As far as I Know the organisers of the Clonakilty Marathon are looking to organise a similar event for west cork in the coming months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

When they turn on the .ie domain for you create a signature image and make it link back to the event page. Might get a few boardsies from other non-AR(T) realms noticing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TownBound

Bump..

Just to let you all know, we are starting a parkrun event at Malahide Castle, Malahide, Co. Dublin on Sat November 10th at 9:30am, and every Saturday at the same time from then on.

The parkrun.ie website isn't quite ready yet. But, we have a Facebook page Malahide parkrun which will be updated with all the details as they are ready. Hope to see some of you for the first event and maybe as regulars too. Thanks!

Thats brilliant news! I'll be there on the 10th November..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Looking forward to this. All about spreading the word to help it be a success. I have shared the page with my Club which is about 20 minutes away so should be a bit of an uptake from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Good Job Plodder... Ill be there...

If anyone can offer some help with volunteering on the first day or first few days, these offers would be gratefully received. So if you're thinking that 10th November is too soon after DCM to race a 5k, then we can find something for you to do!

Parkrun has a neat little system in terms of volunteering (details on their site), but we need a few people to get it off the ground.

PMs to Plodder or myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Thats fantastic, well done. Have shared on my club page, we are only a short jog away. Will try get the local leisure centre to share also

parkrun FAQ for those who haven't found it yet:

http://support.parkrun.com/home

• Registered Users Posts: 26 liamo66

Congrats Plodder on getting this up and running. I run the ECOS parkrun in the North when I am at home, it is a great event. I am convinced that once the first Parkrun starts in Dublin they will spread quickly to other parks in the city. Anyone out there interested in setting a Parkrun up in Marley Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kilbrook

Bump..

This is great news. Will be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 parkrun ireland

rom wrote: »
    Would be great if Tramore Valley Park in Cork once open could be used for one of these.
    St Finbars are considering an event in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

liamo66 wrote: »
    Congrats Plodder on getting this up and running. I run the ECOS parkrun in the North when I am at home, it is a great event. I am convinced that once the first Parkrun starts in Dublin they will spread quickly to other parks in the city. Anyone out there interested in setting a Parkrun up in Marley Park?

I could help out with this if someone else was taking the lead (my hands are fairly full at the moment).

The parkrun website is now live and ready for the new Malahide run which starts next week:

http://www.parkrun.ie/malahide/

Get yourselves registered and print out your barcodes so you are then ready to run next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but when I click on "register", it takes me to the uk site where Malahide parkrun does not appear as an option. Also looks for a postcode.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

They need to update their registration page for Ireland. I'm registered in Leeds but you need an UK postcode (you can just whack any UK postcode in) and malahide isn't in the local runs list.

Obviously there are no Irish clubs in the list yet either.

Had a quick look at the course and its not bad at all, can be fast enough, only a slight drag in the fist 2 k but you get it all back. Will try to register for these, would be great to have an option of a 5k race any week you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭plodder

Don't register yet folks, as the .ie site isn't fully ready. I'll post here as soon as it is.

The course definitely has great potential for fast times, and the beauty of it following the same course every Saturday morning is that it gives you a reliable measure of progress in a race setting.

It's mainly on tarmac paths bar a small stretch along a pretty solid forest path.

Was great on a lovely sunny morning like today, so hopefully we get plenty of Saturday mornings like that.

There's also a cafe near the start/finish, as well as the new Avoca cafe a short walk away near the main car park, so hopefully will get a good social scene around it.

Now the only thing left to do is get the Boards Mini League up and running! :)

Don't register yet folks, as the .ie site isn't fully ready. I'll post here as soon as it is.
    Sorry, I jumped the gun a bit there. :embarrassed:

Peckham wrote: »
    The course definitely has great potential for fast times, and the beauty of it following the same course every Saturday morning is that it gives you a reliable measure of progress in a race setting.

It's mainly on tarmac paths bar a small stretch along a pretty solid forest path.

Was great on a lovely sunny morning like today, so hopefully we get plenty of Saturday mornings like that.

There's also a cafe near the start/finish, as well as the new Avoca cafe a short walk away near the main car park, so hopefully will get a good social scene around it.

Now the only thing left to do is get the Boards Mini League up and running! :)
    Yep, will be doing a few miles there tomorrow I think so will fit in a loop, will give you a pm in a week or two to help out on some of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Looks like from now on I'm going to have to include a quick 5k in the middle of my long Saturday morning runs whether I like it or not.

Route is good because it omits the worst of the underfoot path conditions that are on the path on the Back Road (south) side of the demesne.

Hope this is a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Great news, cannot wait to sign up, injured at the moment, I'm sure we will have a dedicated Parkkrun thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Is it not the same bar-code whatever Park-run race you do? I registered for the Manchester Park Run and rememer reading that I shouldn't ever register again (just make sure to bring the bar-code with you)?

Advertisement