Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you the senior mentor of next years novices thread ;)

Wow - :eek:

I'm not sure how this is meant to work, whether the community vote / pick, if it's YoungAnnes choice, or if it's the mods on the forum here so for the moment I would consider the above a nomination.

Thanks very much guys. It means a great deal to me to even be considered for the role next year. I would be very happy to lead next years thread if the nomination is approved. Talk about motivation to get a decent time. :D

I would also (with their consent of course) deputise Blockic and Career Move as deputy mentors as a) I think both would have been exceptional candidates themselves b) They have contributed so much to this thread this year and c) Their times at just under 3:30 and 4:00 along with mine cover all spectrums of novice runs. (I know Blockic is targetting Berlin next year but would still have a lot of knowledge and experience to share)

So if whoever is actually in charge of the decision would like to ratify the nomination I'm all yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

sassyj wrote: »
    Hi Killian

Sounds like we had a similar experience, from 15 miles killed me. Also walking fine today, I am chalking it down to experience though, never though I'd run a marathon.

Same feeling of mild disappointment/confusion here.
    Finished below target time and in some pain today, but no more than had I played football for the first time in a few months.

I think walking part of it feels a little like I cheated in one sense.
    Wouldnt mind being behind target time if I'd ran the whole way.
    Cramp saw to it that i had to stop - which then leaves me frustrated over things like, was it just that I needed extra salt or a tablet or electrolyte.
    There was energy in the legs and in my head - I just couldnt shake the cramp.

The way I'm looking at it now, is its miles and experience in the legs.
    Can only push on from here - and looking at Stockholm in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

I'm not sure how this is meant to work, whether the community vote / pick, if it's YoungAnnes choice, or if it's the mods on the forum here so for the moment I would consider the above a nomination.

Thanks very much guys. It means a great deal to me to even be considered for the role next year. I would be very happy to lead next years thread if the nomination is approved. Talk about motivation to get a decent time. :D

I would also (with their consent of course) deputise Blockic and Career Move as deputy mentors as a) I think both would have been exceptional candidates themselves b) They have contributed so much to this thread this year and c) Their times at just under 3:30 and 4:00 along with mine cover all spectrums of novice runs. (I know Blockic is targetting Berlin next year but would still have a lot of knowledge and experience to share)

So if whoever is actually in charge of the decision would like to ratify the nomination I'm all yours.

No better candidate in my opinion.

I never doubted you'd finish and couldnt wait to see your post on here after the run. Am delighted for you. Really.

"Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

blockic wrote: »

Haha..that's mad! That was my brother!

Lol - I'm sure he was besieged with lunatics calling it back to him but I couldn't resist it. Not being Tommy in the first half was a key part of my race strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Did i meet you in the Mespil afterwards? on the couch?
    No mate,that was not me,i stayed in the clyde court hotel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congratulations to all the novices, some wonderful race reports and results on here, I'm delighted it went so well for you all. Don't worry if the legs are still feeling stiff, if you feel up to it gentle exercise such as walking or swimming will have you back to normal in no time.
    Sorry!, in my defence, despite feeling like the worst runner in the world at that stage, I was determined to run up Roebuck hill and I did. I think i even did a little jump at the top in celebration.

Killian, I was the female 4.15 pacer, I think it was you who ran with us for most of the first half of the race (if it wasn't then ignore the rest of this post;))
    How did you do? I had not doubt you'd finish, you were strong and confident, I was just just wondering when you finished?
    Also do you know how Donna from Northern Ireland got on? The only bad thing about being a pacer is worrying about how people you left behind did in the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

What do you wish you had been told before you started training for DCM?

It's never too early to start.

What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year?

If you are not already doing it get out there and start running. Put one foot in front of another and just get going. Building things up slowly, plan a few shorter distance races as short term goals. But most of all know that some day you will be out there running what might seem like a crazy distance now and be absolutely loving it. Nothing better than a 12 miler before breakfast!!

Oh and order some Bodyglide!!

What were your high points and low points of the whole experience?

Low points were blowing up during the Sligo half which put doubt in my head as to what pace is should be aiming for, niggles during 20 mile run, realising after 15 miles in marathon that I wasn't going to keep up with the 4:15 pacers.

High points were pretty much everything else. I absolutely loved the miles of the marathon running through the park, I felt great and everything looked great around me. And no matter how long it takes you crossing that line in the end is something else.

Do you plan on doing another marathon?

Short answer yes but probably not until 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

You are a shoe in PM, the excel file was the deciding factor as Mr Slow said!

Sure you have until April or so now to prepare! ;)

I'd be happy to assist next year and give my advise where needed.

I should be running DCM alright, just might not race it after Berlin.

Get that google doc preped up for DCM 2013! :)

That was a savage run and a savage race report. Well done to you and Mrs. D:D:D

It was great to meet you and Blockic in McGrattans, congrats to you both on your amazing results:D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭LarMan

My ramblings from the day very long

Monday 29th October 2012 Dublin City Marathon

12 months ago I would never have thought I would be able to say I ran a marathon but now I can. My aim was to go sub 4 hours but I did not achieve that and while that is a dissapointment it will hopefully encourage me to train harder eat better and get under the 4 hour mark.

Just as a prelude to the race report, I picked up my race number at the DCM Expo and there was a birthday card attached as my birthday was on the day of the race, I thought that was a very nice touch. Went to the Leinster V Cardiff match afterwards along with two of my kids, managed to break my daughters collar bone by falling on her while catching a ball before the match even started!

More preamble, my training had gone well. I trained for a 4 hour marathon in that my marathon pace runs were all done at a pace that would get me under 4 hours. My race times would have indicated that I should have been able to get under 4 hours so my plan was to line up with the 4 hour pacers and push on near the end of able, the reality was quiet different.

The morning of the race came along and my wife drove me into town and I was in by 8:10. I made my way to the bagage area and got ready, used the loo and then walked to the starting area, I needed to use the loo again so queued up for the toilets which were much busier than in the baggage area. I then climbed over the barrier to get as close to the 4 hour pace group as possible. We had about 20 minutes to wait here before the start. I was wearing my plastic bin liner to shield against the cold, but the weather was actually perfect for running with very little breeze or sun so could not have asked for better.

National anthem was played and I gave a roar which probably startled those around me. As our time drew closer and avalanche of clothes and bags were thrown to the side. We heard the off for Wave 2 and away we went, just as we got to the line a woman in front of me fell over, she got up pretty quickly but it was a warning to me to be careful as there are so many people running it was really crowed.

The first KM was slow as we rounded the corner and next few KMs were also busy as I tried to stay with the pacers who seemed to be moving away from me. This was a little unnerving and I didn’t want them to get too far away, as we turned onto Dorset street we passed a man who had collapsed, he was consious but seemed to be out of it. Other runners were putting him into the recovery position so fair play to them. I read in other logs that he jumped up rather miraculously and continued running, I wonder how he got on.

I had gotten into a nice rythm at this stage and was running nicely with the pacers a 100 meters ahead or so. In the phoenix park there were a couple of instances where the volume of people nearly led to accidents, some people ran into cones and one women dropped her inhaler and tried to retrieve it which obviously caused issues for both her and the people running behind her.

I was still well on track at this stage and coming up through chapelizoid and the first hill was no problem. I caught up with the pacemakers on the Crumlin road and had a brief chat with Brefni who told me this was his 57th marathon!!. The pacers then pulled a little way ahead of me but I kept behind them comfortably throught the half way point.

I think things started to get tough at this stage, I had struggled on my longs runs at about 24KM but I was glad to be realtively OK at the same point but I could definately feel the legs starting to get sore. My wife and family were planning to meet me at the 30K mark so I was determined to keep running until I passed them but at this point walking breaks were starting to enter my head. Orwell road and the turn onto Milltown gave some relief in that they were downhill and I passed my family who said I was looking fresh but that was not how I felt, my brother and a couple of his kids were further up the road and once I passed them I gave in and took my first walk break going up the hill, I think the main reason I felt like I needed to walk were my calf muscles which felt like they were going to pop.

I should mention that I had a Go Larry printed on my shirt and the support I got from this was amazing, in some ways it actually became a millstone as when I was walking people were shouting go Larry which was probably a good thing but at the time felt really bad. The crowds were amazing, I wish there were some way of telling these people how great they made this race and how grateful all the runners were for their particiaption.

The last 12K were hard hard hard, I lost a minute a KM here . I basically applied a walk/Run strategy where I would walk a 200 meters and then try and run the next 800. This took care of Roebuck road and clonskeagh as I walked up these, once I knew 4 hours was gone I relaxed a bit but still wanted to finish before the 4:15 pacers. I passed another friend of mine on Shelbourne road and I was walking at that stage which was a little dissapointing that she didn’t see me running. I ran the last 1.2 km without walking and my family who were now at the finish line saw me run over the line. I did not see them or hear them given the level of noice and my level of
    discomfort.

I collected my medal and goody bag and as I walked towards the baggage area I stopped and cried. I don’t know why I was not elated I was not dissapointed , I was just sore and tired and emotional, I got my bag and met my family and started crying again, my sister took some pictures of me looking very emotional which I can laugh at now.

My time was 4:12:59 so well outside what I had hoped but even if I had been a minute over I would have been dissapointed so it was of no consequence that I was 13 minutes over.

The marathon is hard but I am so proud to have completed it. I will look back on the crowds and the experience with great fondness but I am also looking forward to my next one. I have now conquered the distance, now I need to get better and faster. I have a target to beat which is my current time but I also still want to get under the 4 hour mark. I will God willing be back at DCM 2013 fitter and faster and will get to enjoy the race even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

No better man Pagent M!

Heres my report for anyone that's interested:

In the run up the the marathon things had been going good, I did a 1.40 half so was feeling optimistic that I could go around 3.40 ish for the marathon but in the weeks leading up to it I got some pretty severe ITB and hamstring issues. Long story short in the three weeks leading up to the big day I only ran twice, a grand total of 8 miles.
    On the day I was very apprehensive, so much so I went out with bus fare in my pocket along with ibuprofen! Id had some sports massages but hadn't really tested myself out (stupid I know) so I was in the lap of the gods on the day. Id revised my goal back from 3.40 to hopefully finish without permanently damaging myself!
    I started out behind the 4 hour pacers for no particular reason and as we set out the pace was nice and slow for the first mile to warm me up and amazingly pain free. However when I looked at my gel belt around Westmoreland St id lost 2 of my 4, golden rule of Marathoning broken, never try anything new on race day! Didnt let it bother me too much, I knew I could get some on the course so I kept the stess levels down, happy that I was running pain free. I was completely crowded though so I passed the 4 hr guys on O' O'Connell street and settled into a comfortable pace, I took me a good 4 miles to loosen up but by the time we reached the park I was feeling good and no longer scared! I made the mistake here of settling into about 8.20-8.30 pace always knowing in the back of my mind that my lack of running towards the end of training would cost me. I came through halfway feeling comfortable but consciously slowed to 8.50 pace and banged them out until we hit mile 21. Was feeling good but not especially strong, I found that little pep talks were a help though, muttering my way through the miles like a lunatic is something ill always remember. Mile 21 problems manifested themselves, my right thigh and hamstring started to tighten up, big time, I tried to muddle through but all of a sudden out of nowhere I pulled up and had to stretch the right leg, walked for about 30 seconds until some lovely lady gave me a fistful of jelly babies and encouraged me to get stuck in again. Funny thing is I never had any issues with my right leg in training, its true that you never know how your body will react in that last 10k! I started moving again and felt really good, that mile was 9.40 but my next one was an 8.45 but as we came up by the RDS my legs tightened up again I held on until just after Lansdowne where I had another quick 30 second stretch and started running again. My GF was on Grand Canal St with a couple of mates cheering me on, really really helped spur me on. I was on empty at this stage, legs were cramping up everyhwere, quads, hamstrings, calfs groin, my entire lower half was rippling, I was in ribbons!! Muddled through Westland Row and Pearse St. until College Green determined that my legs wouldn't get the best of me and force me to stretch here in front of everyone! The support was amazing with everyone out on the road, as I said earlier it felt like coming over a climb on the Tour de France or something!! I looked at the watch and saw I was going to get home in under 3.55 so I really savoured the Nassau St stretch, playing to the crowd a bit (or at least I though I was, probably looked like an electrocuted jellyfish flailing my arms about) and getting some cheers. I crossed in 3.54, happy to still have the 2 Euro bus fare in my pocket!. At this point I completely tied up, I could actually feel the lump of the knot in my right hamstring, felt like a bunch of large grapes!! Delighted to get my medal and even got a hug from one of the volunteers! I probably paid for my 5-6 miles of sub 8.35 around the park but alls well that ends well, lesson learnt.

I just want to thank everyone on this thread, its been a great source of information and solace (not to mention work procrastination) over the last few months. I hope to see all of you in the improvers thread too, this was my first marathon but it definitely wont be my last.

How about a giant training log for Dublin Marathon novices 2012 moving forward to wherever we go to next, might keep the motivation up as I'm currently goal searching, well as soon as I can walk again that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Marthastew wrote: »
    Congratulations to all the novices, some wonderful race reports and results on here, I'm delighted it went so well for you all. Don't worry if the legs are still feeling stiff, if you feel up to it gentle exercise such as walking or swimming will have you back to normal in no time.

Killian, I was the female 4.15 pacer, I think it was you who ran with us for most of the first half of the race (if it wasn't then ignore the rest of this post;))
    How did you do? I had not doubt you'd finish, you were strong and confident, I was just just wondering when you finished?
    Also do you know how Donna from Northern Ireland got on? The only bad thing about being a pacer is worrying about how people you left behind did in the end...

Hi! I was going to go looking for you, i didn't know the etiquette in searching for people here!

I did finish, in no small part to you guys. I came in at exactly 4.30 I was feeling really good up to Fortfield Rd and my thighs started to slow down, call it cramp, strain, the wall whatever. I dropped pace and walked a couple of times, and the 4.30 team caught me at the RDS. I stuck as best to them as I possibly could.

I saw donna on Nassau st so she came in close to me. She's a mad one altogether!

Thanks a million to all the pacers you really made a big difference to many of us and some of us would still be out there if it wasn't for you.

Hi Martha, I think it was me that you were thinking off although Killian definitely was with us for parts too. I finished in 4:41 in the end (full report on page 393!!). Was going to ask you how Donna from Derry got on too! She was gas, wouldn't have suprised me if she headed off to catch the 4 hr pacers!

Hi! I was going to go looking for you, i didn't know the etiquette in searching for people here!

I did finish, in no small part to you guys. I came in at exactly 4.30 I was feeling really good up to Fortfield Rd and my thighs started to slow down, call it cramp, strain, the wall whatever. I dropped pace and walked a couple of times, and the 4.30 team caught me at the RDS. I stuck as best to them as I possibly could.

I saw donna on Nassau st so she came in close to me. She's a mad one altogether!

Thanks a million to all the pacers you really made a big difference to many of us and some of us would still be out there if it wasn't for you.

Thanks Killian, that answers the curiousity in my mind!

Fair play to you for keeping going. We were side by side in the park for a while but I didnt want to start chatting as I thought you were feeling it a bit there. Was delighted see you still going around 15 and you held on much stronger than myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

LarMan wrote: »
    My ramblings from the day very long

Monday 29th October 2012 Dublin City Marathon

The crowds were amazing, I wish there were some way of telling these people how great they made this race and how grateful all the runners were for their particiaption.

+1 to this.

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Hi Martha, I think it was me that you were thinking off although Killian definitely was with us for parts too. I finished in 4:41 in the end (full report on page 393!!). Was going to ask you how Donna from Derry got on too! She was gas, wouldn't have suprised me if she headed off to catch the 4 hr pacers!

Super, super congrats to both the Killians!:D:D
    I'm thrilled for you and I'm so relieved for Donna, she was definitely a character and had had a very stressful morning by the time she even reached the Start line.
    I really enjoyed your report dazza, a Half PB and a Full PB, you must be so proud. And plenty of people nearly tripped me, it comes with the pacing territory.
    Congrats also to celeb Killian (sorry, I'm sure you hate that;)) you have had an amazing year, well done on all your hard work.

I'm sure I'll see you both soon at another start line:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CCandK

sassyj wrote: »
    If anyone wants to swap , I got a large finisher t-shirt, would swap for small or medium. If not, i will be boiling to shrink, is a lovely t-shirt :)

Hi sassyj
    I've got a medium (unworn :)) but could really do with a large.
    Send me a PM if you'd like to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Well what a fantastic experience DCM 2012 was! The most amazing thing for me was the support of the crowds all along the way. And to think that they were all shouting just for me! (Well that's what it felt like anyway!). I did have my club name (Dunboyne) on my top and it was just brilliant to hear that being called out so much.

I felt absolutely privileged to be part of this huge and superbly organised event - and to be healthy and fit enough to train for it, run it and enjoy it.

Thanks so much to Young Anne and your helpers. I think any corporate would be delighted to have a customer support team like you on hand - every question answered promptly and kindly, superb support and fantastic information. You guys should feel proud to have contributed so much to this year's marathon community.

My race went really well. I was going for 3.50 and was hoping that I'd be able to sustain an 8.44 pace throughout. The plan was to remain consistent until around Mile 23 (Vincents) and if there was anything left in the tank there to 'kick' from there on.

The first thing I noticed was that my garmin was showing the miles hitting in far quicker than the mile markers so I quickly realised I'd have to increase my pace in order to make my time. In the end my Garmin showed 26.57 miles! So I was glad I did speed up.

I was determined to stick to this pace (8.40) but found it difficult, especially in the first half as I kept edging a little faster and having to slow up. It paid off though. From half way was a little tougher, I was having to push it now to keep to 8.40 but felt fairly good nonetheless.

From Crumlin to Milltown was lovely and flat. I had plenty of support from Clonskeagh onwards so that distracted me from Mile 18-22 or so. The hills were irrelevant, I hardly noticed then, which is gas considering that they were one of my main worries.

23 miles finally arrived and I realised that even though I was tired that there was still plenty in the tank so time to put the boot down.

Things got tough from around the RDS on. I was creeping down to 8 minute miles and below. The support was amazing but it was getting tougher. I really felt that I needed to justify the time and effort put into training by myself, my friend who coached me and my husband who came in from work tired every evening but never complained when he had to get straight into minding our two small kids when I ran out the door to training. Weekends too.

So things were getting very tough but I continued to push the pace. 7.30...7.15...7.10...Westland Row came and went, College Green and finally Nassau Street. The pace on my Garmin was showing 6 something at this stage but I could hardly read it. I really wanted to cry but was determined not to be a wuss! Nassau Street was torture. But finally the finish line came and I crossed in 3.44.14, surpassing all my hopes.

I reckon it'll take another wee while to get over the toughness of that last mile or two, but by the time I can walk down the stairs again I'll be planning next running goals. Bring it on!

Edit: Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

I decided yesterday the best way to move on from my disappointment on Monday is to keep moving.

With that in mind I've signed up for the Jingle Bells 5K with some work friends, some of whom have never run before so I have to keep going and get them into running.

I've also decided to join a club. My only problem now is decided which one as I live in Celbridge and have Celbridge AC, Le Cheile and Lucan Harriers to choose from.

• Advertisement

Reading back on my earlier post - I'm sorry if I was having a bit of a moan. It really is great to see everyone have such good races and all the stories already have me looking forward to next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

CCandK wrote: »
    Hi sassyj
    I've got a medium (unworn :)) but could really do with a large.
    Send me a PM if you'd like to swap.

PM Sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Huge congrats to everyone, the race reports are fantastic. Loved hearing about everyone's experience (although I am now massively aware of how difficult it is so I maybe should have saved them for after my first marathon!).

Have really enjoyed following this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done to all of you guys for achieving such wonderful goals on Monday. It was an absolutely fantastic day out and I was delighted to be a part of it. I had a ball pacing the 3:45 group but dear lord am I sick of the sound of my own voice now!! Enjoy basking in the aftermath but if you've discovered a love for running (or even a little like for it) then don't let it lapse. Recover well and set a new goal :) As some of you may know from my earlier post in this thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80522035&postcount=3063), 3:45 is an 8 minute PB on the 3:53 I ran in Dublin last year... If I can do it, anyone can!! The very best of luck to you all in the future :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

claralara wrote: »
    As some of you may know from my earlier post in this thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80522035&postcount=3063), 3:45 is an 8 minute PB on the 3:53 I ran in Dublin last year... If I can do it, anyone can!! The very best of luck to you all in the future :)

Yeah but you had a 45 minute PB in between the two races ;)

Like CL I paced the 3:45 group and had a ball too, I nearly fainted near the end from the roaring I was doing at the crowds to whip up noise over the last 3 miles, I had to take a deep breath before roaring some more down the finish straight as i was almost spent at that point :D

It was lovely to meet a few boardsies on the course and a lot of the novices in the Pub afterwards (Blockic, Career_Move and PM himself) and great to read about all the success stories on this thread over the last few days. I was in the initial Novice group back in 2009 which was fantastic, but witout doubt this is the largest and most successful Novice group to date. Some cracking times and brilliant performances all round. I just hope most of you continue with your running and stick around the logs a little more as you will undoubtedly improve and continue to receive loads of great advice. I would strongly recommend everyone to start their own training log in this section and still be around to help out with the Novices next year.

See you all at the races some time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

You are definitely the best man for the job P. I'd love to be your deputy (would probably have stuck my oar in on the qt anyway :D)
    It was great to meet you and Blockic in McGrattans, congrats to you both on your amazing results:D
    Was lovely to meet you and Mr Stew too. Have to admit I am slightly in awe of you and all the different yoga classes you do :D
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Yeah but you had a 45 minute PB in between the two races ;)

Like CL I paced the 3:45 group and had a ball too, I nearly fainted near the end from the roaring I was doing at the crowds to whip up noise over the last 3 miles, I had to take a deep breath before roaring some more down the finish straight as i was almost spent at that point :D

It was lovely to meet a few boardsies on the course and a lot of the novices in the Pub afterwards (Blockic, Career_Move and PM himself) and great to read about all the success stories on this thread over the last few days. I was in the initial Novice group back in 2009 which was fantastic, but witout doubt this is the largest and most successful Novice group to date. Some cracking times and brilliant performances all round. I just hope most of you continue with your running and stick around the logs a little more as you will undoubtedly improve and continue to receive loads of great advice. I would strongly recommend everyone to start their own training log in this section and still be around to help out with the Novices next year.

See you all at the races some time soon.
    You're a legend Meno. Thanks for all your help. It makes a big difference when you get the right advice!
    (P.S Sorry if I appear a bit stalkerish - knowing what you look like and just generally talking to you as if we're best friends etc. :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Reading back on my earlier post - I'm sorry if I was having a bit of a moan. It really is great to see everyone have such good races and all the stories already have me looking forward to next year.

Don't be too hard on yourself Killian. I know from my first in May that not reaching your target is disappointing - I ended up walk-running 6 of the last 8 miles of that, thoroughly broken in mind and spirit.

But when you look at the marathon as a mere step on your journey, rather than as a destination of its own, you can find peace in the knowledge that you've made huge progress and maybe on this occasion your performance wasn't inadequate but either your goal-setting was a shade aggressive or it just wasn't meant to be on the day - and now you already have a fire burning inside you that will push you through any obstacle the next time.

Disappointment can either be self-destructive or turned to your advantage - you've already proven this year that you can do the latter, so here's an opportunity for more practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Younganne wrote: »
    Congratulation to everyone of you. Some of you had fantastic experiences some ofyou not so, but you are now all marathoners!! Enjoy your achievement.
    I have read most of the reports, and willfinish the rest tomorrow. I wasdelighted to meet some of you in McGrattans and some of you out on the course.
    Take the recovery as seriously as you tookthe training and plenty of fluids, carbs, easy walking and baths.
    Few questions to which you can answer on the thread or just to yourself and some of you have already covered then in their reports.

What do you wish you had been told before you started training for DCM? I don't think there was anything anybody could have said to make ay difference to me. I had enough reasons in place to motivate me from the word go and this thread stopped me training counter productively.

What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year?

YOU CAN DO IT !!! - This thread has shown a wide range of novicedom (is that a word ?????:)) - from those like myself and Killian coming off zero training / fitness to a marathon in less than a year right through to the likes of Blockic with a couple of years running experience coming in sub 3:30. So it doesn't matter where you are at now. You can be at a marathon stage by next year.

What were your high points and lowpoints of the whole experience?

Low points:
    Injuries totally screwing up my preparation.
    Nutley Lane out on the course - Was phsyically and mentally shattered by then.

High Points:
    This thread and the friends I made here.
    The support from total strangers along the route.
    Crossing that line hand in hand with my little one. Best feeling ever.

Well I suppose better if I'm mentoring next years novices :D Aiming to lose some more weight, start from a better place, stay injury free and give it a real crack next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

What do you wish you had been told before you started training for DCM?
    Enjoy the whole experience, don’t just concentrate on the marathon, but enjoy every little milestone, your first 10k, your first double digit run, your first half marathon, your first time you have to nip into a hedge to use the loo (the true sign you’re a ‘proper runner’!)

Do it, just do it! Yes, it is tough, yes it is a big commitment physically, mentally and time wise, but it is worth it in the end. There will be tough points along the way, there will be whole weeks were you think ‘I can’t do this’ but you can and you will. Don’t worry if you miss the odd run here or there, life does sometimes get in the way of running, just try and stick with it as much as possible and you will be fine. Also, don’t get too caught up on time, wait until you’ve done a half marathon before deciding on a time, and remember there is no shame in revising your time downwards if things don’t go to plan. Better to finish strong and enjoy the experience than injure yourself or have to pull up because you pushed too hard.

What were your high points and lowpoints of the whole experience?
    The whole thing was a high point! I really enjoyed the whole experience. I loved the gradual creeping up of mileage, I loved peoples faces when I told them I couldn’t go for a drink cos I was running 18 miles in the morning, I loved the comraderie and friendliness of this thread. My only low point was my 19 mile LSR when I had a horror of a run and started to question my sanity. A great 20 mile two weeks later put me back on stride. Also there was a couple of weeks when I just wasn’t feeling it, think I was over tired, but that passed fairly quickly.
    Yes most definitely! Not as exotic as some people here who I know are planning a marathon abroad, but I am going to do Cork in June, Will be nice to sleep in my own bed and eat my own food the night before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Hi All,
    My Quads are as sore again today! Calves are brand new. I can hardly get down the stairs again. My friend suggested It's because I did very little hill work.. and it makes sense I suppose. Can anyone confirm this? I live near Sutton so am planning on starting to incorporate hill work by running around Howth/Sutton Peninsula every week or two maybe in preparation for next years events! The Quads really slowed me down after mile 20. Thanks

Advertisement