Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

I feel like i'm suffering from post-marathon madness!!Sitting around now for 4 days, feel like i'm losing fitness!...which i know myself is just stupid!Can't wait to go for a 2 mile shuffle! Might have to wait until monday though as a toe nail is not happy with me currently! ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

My legs have been in good shape since yesterday, not a twinge anywhere - that day sick in bed obviously did them some good :p - but my stomach isn't quite ready to run yet! I might just be hungry though... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

blockic wrote: »
    I feel like i'm suffering from post-marathon madness!!Sitting around now for 4 days, feel like i'm losing fitness!...which i know myself is just stupid!Can't wait to go for a 2 mile shuffle! Might have to wait until monday though as a toe nail is not happy with me currently! ouch!

I'm the same, dying to get back out for a gentle jog now can raise my leg without pain but nasty blister at the top of a toe has me hobbling... To burst or not to burst, that is the question...

Keep having visions of the scene in run fat boy run with the blister and it freaked me out mine will go the same way, eugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Legs are slowly getting there, feeling decent today apart from knee/ITB pains that have been a constant for the last few months!

Im thinking that ill keep my powder dry this weekend but will make a glorious return with a mammoth 3 miler on Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

FiiFii wrote: »
    I'm the same, dying to get back out for a gentle jog now can raise my leg without pain but nasty blister at the top of a toe has me hobbling... To burst or not to burst, that is the question...

Keep having visions of the scene in run fat boy run with the blister and it freaked me out mine will go the same way, eugh...

FiiFii, sterile needle and burst it.

I have 6 toenails raised due to blisters under them and the 2 big toenails are bruised so i'll probaly lose all 8 of them again but i had to burst them all to allow for the nails to rebed..it happens me every year in the marathon:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Runchick wrote: »

Anyone else tried a wee run today? I thought I'd try a very easy 2 miles this morning just to see where I'm at. Well now I know...no where near ready to run just yet! My quads screamed at me after a few minutes so I resorted to walk-light jog-walk-light jog for the 2 miles. Everything else felt fine but just the outer quad muscles which had felt like they were on fire by mile 22 on Monday - think its gonna take another while for them to forgive me for what I put them through :eek: So I've gone from a fit marathoner to a shuffling mess in 4 days

I went out for a five mile walk on wed and thur with the sister. i found that really helped to loosen up the legs

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Big Congrats everyone :) I have really enjoyed reading all your race reports over the last few days. Fantastic effort by all! Well done ladies on making FIT magazine yer famous now :) Great to put a facesbto the names!
    cheers everyone for the tips on getting free video too, I've re played my finish so many times at this stage.
    For those of you who still have niggles and aches please leave the urge to go for easy few miles until their gone. My legs finally felt normalish today so I went for 3 very slow miles, from the off both tendons were sore and since I've gotten back my left achilles is in agony. Hopefully I haven't done much damage but I will def be resting up for another few days. Feeling some post marathon blues too wish it was this day last week , but the planning for future goals will have to be the focus for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Younganne wrote: »
    http://mysports.tv/default2.asp?r=7900&e=DM12M&n=Martin+Donnelly&ct_s1=09:13:22&nt_f=04:19:25&ct_f=13:10:57&ct_s2=10:10:30&ct_s3=11:12:44&ct_s4=12:15:04&k=5mtotaal&ks=109170481&b=720p&l=EN

Career move, you are crossing the finish line in this video, with LizzyC right beside you, i'm a few yards back in the blue top!!!
    Thanks lads for the tip for finding yourself and thanks to the guy who bought his video and for running most of the way near me!!!
    Thanks Younganne :D That's cool. Thanks also to Martin Donnelly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Thats it, I'm over the disappointment and ready to get back in the saddle!

I've signed up to do the Great Limerick Run (marathon) on May 5th next if anyone would like to join me. Looking to improve on my 4hr30.

Got a room in Jurys Hotel, beside the start & close to the finish for 2 nights at €108 B&B as well which I thought was good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aoifo

Hi all,
    would any1 be able to shed some light on the pain i have in my foot- it only started to hurt on tuesday its really painful to walk on(like a shooting pain) but not sore at all to touch.
    Just wondering if I need to rest it or if I need to go see the doc as really want to get back out jogging
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

aoifo wrote: »
    Hi all,would any1 be able to shed some light on the pain i have in my foot- it only started to hurt on tuesday its really painful to walk on(like a shooting pain) but not sore at all to touch.Just wondering if I need to rest it or if I need to go see the doc as really want to get back out joggingThanks
    Can't really give medical advise here, i'd say go to a physio rather than a doctor if it's not getting any better after another couple of days

Hi all,
    would any1 be able to shed some light on the pain i have in my foot- it only started to hurt on tuesday its really painful to walk on(like a shooting pain) but not sore at all to touch.
    Just wondering if I need to rest it or if I need to go see the doc as really want to get back out jogging
    Thanks

Any pain after a marathon should be checked out by a physio before getting back out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

Hi all,
    Thanks

Strange aoifo but I have the very same thing since Tuesday as well, it wasnt there Monday but sort of appeared sometime Tuesday & hasnt gone away since despite icing it & soaking it in epsom salts for the past few nights.As you say its sore to walk on but not to touch, its just sort of underneath & on the outer side of my foot below my ankle.I foam rolled it there at lunch time & put ice on it but it got worse if anything - I was thinking of going to the hospital for an xray just in case I broke something.

Runchick wrote: »

Anyone else tried a wee run today?
    I did 2 miles this afternoon* Legs felt good but bit tired now so going to have a hot bath later. Would have a cold one but can't face the torture :eek:

*see my new log for further details :D

blockic wrote: »
    Its your punishment for running so fast on Monday :p
    Thats it, I'm over the disappointment and ready to get back in the saddle!

I've signed up to do the Great Limerick Run (marathon) on May 5th next if anyone would like to join me. Looking to improve on my 4hr30.

Got a room in Jurys Hotel, beside the start & close to the finish for 2 nights at €108 B&B as well which I thought was good value.

Good stuff Killian. I'm undecided between Limerick and Kildare :confused:

Good stuff Killian. I'm undecided between Limerick and Kildare :confused:

Did 6m in Limerick & 10k in Kildare this year - really enjoyed Limerick with the crowds and the like - Kildare was a bit bleak and the wind blowing in my face no matter what direction i was facing didn't endear me to the rolling plains of the Curragh!

Bringing my wife & chisellers to Limerick so making a weekend of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aoifo

docrock wrote: »
    Strange aoifo but I have the very same thing since Tuesday as well, it wasnt there Monday but sort of appeared sometime Tuesday & hasnt gone away since despite icing it & soaking it in epsom salts for the past few nights.As you say its sore to walk on but not to touch, its just sort of underneath & on the outer side of my foot below my ankle.I foam rolled it there at lunch time & put ice on it but it got worse if anything - I was thinking of going to the hospital for an xray just in case I broke something.

Yeah thats exactly the way mine is at the mo- really not sure what to do:confused:

Did 6m in Limerick & 10k in Kildare this year - really enjoyed Limerick with the crowds and the like - Kildare was a bit bleak and the wind blowing in my face no matter what direction i was facing didn't endear me to the rolling plains of the Curragh!

Bringing my wife & chisellers to Limerick so making a weekend of it.
    Ya good point. Forgot that its always windy on the Curragh!

NYC Marathon cancelled - sorry for Marthastew who travelled I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Yep, she flew this morning.... As an Ex Trolley Dolly I had advised her to resist the temptation to stand up in-flight and indicate where the emergency exits were ;)Most likely the right decision but gutted for MS on a personal level and this call should really have been made earlier.That said, don't fret too much, a more positive person you'll not meet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Gutted for everyone involved in NY. Not just the Irish travelling over. Can you imagine how you'd feel if they had cancelled Dublin at such short notice ? :(

Quick edit to say that cancellation was the right thing to do but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

Hi all,
    Thanks

I have exactly the same! My legs are completely fine but my right foot is very sore. Don't remember it hurting at all on Monday so wonder is it a post traumatic injury! Was feeling so pleased with myself but don't think I can run on it for a while yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Right decision but must be awful for all those who have trained for months and been successful in lottery. Hopefully they will have guaranteed entry next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

dechol wrote: »
    Right decision but must be awful for all those who have trained for months and been successful in lottery. Hopefully they will have guaranteed entry next year.

Right decision but it could and should have been made several days earlier.

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Right decision but it could and should have been made several days earlier.
    agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

I was one of the 4 hour pacers. One of the ones telling the jokes :D
    One of the other pacers tore his achilles and kept going. Was a big bunch this year and the banter was great, it always gets quieter near the end but thats to be expected. That was my 60th marathon btw. See you all next year :P

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    I was one of the 4 hour pacers. One of the ones telling the jokes :Din between complaining about the heat and the uncomfortable backpack :p
    One of the other pacers tore his achilles and kept going. Was a big bunch this year and the banter was great, it always gets quieter near the end but thats to be expected. That was my 60th marathon btw. See you all next year :P
    Sorry to hear that. Is he in a cast? Will you pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovery?

Thanks for the top job ye did on Monday. Didn't look at my garmin once while I was running with ye :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Gavlor wrote: »
    More inspiration than positive mantra but I always have TC on my wrist. No, for all you 80's kids I'm not a big fan of top cat :) its the initials of the most inspirational Irish man ever: Tom Crean. If I'm struggling I try think about what he went thru and i reassure myself that the marathon is a piece of p!ss compared to his struggles. Always seems to work

You must be a fan of the beer so !

tom-creans.jpg?1317123399

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Sorry to hear that. Is he in a cast? Will you pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovery?

Thanks for the top job ye did on Monday. Didn't look at my garmin once while I was running with ye :D
    Yeah and a boot, still out myself with a badly swollen foot, should have been out at about 10 miles nut you don't wanna let people down.

What do you wish you had been told before you started training forDCM? slow and steady is the way to go.forget about speed on LSR. You will not lose tons of weight.i thought i would look like an elite runner at the end of training! Read as much as you can about running and marathons.i hadnt a clue about pacing, gels, stretching etc Follow this thread. got the best advice from here.also do the race series especially if training on your own. it really helped me see how i was doing.

What would you say to people who are reading this thread now and contemplating doing their first marathon next year?
    DO IT!! it was such an amazing experience and one everyone is capable of finishing if you do the training.I only starting running in March and everyone told me i was mad to consider marathon. The training is very time consuming and you need to be able to commit to it. But if you commit you will finish!

What were your high points and lowpoints of the whole experience?
    High point was marathon day. not just the finishing but every single second of the day was incredible.the crowds, the runners and the atmosphere.i would do it all again today if my legs would let me!
    low point: i ran all my runs on my own and sometimes on the long runs i really needed someone with me. my fifteen mile run was a disaster and i half walked half ran the whole thing and was deflated. i think if i had ran my LSR with others it would have helped a lot.

Do you plan on doing another marathon?
    YES. The only issue is the time commitment. i have young kids and it did impact on family life and my other half deserved a medal at the finish too. i am hoping that he will have forgotten about all the hours of training by the time i tell him in June i want to do it again!!

• Advertisement

Comfortable 5m done this morning. felt it was important not to go too long without looking at the runners; on a personal basis, if I left it too long it would have been difficult to get back into things. Ran with a group who gave the 3 of us who raced on Monday a big cheer & round of applause when we arrived, felt really good to get back out and pull the runners on.

if anyone is interested I occasionally run with a group (male & female) on saturday, 10am start at the bottom of the East Pier in Dun Laoghaire. there are fast ones (3hr30 for a first DCM) middle & slower no pressure on pace, just run your own time. Route either turn right to Booterstown or turn left to Dalkey, distance about 6miles. everyone then heads to a coffee shop for a brew & chat afterwards.

I'm not there next week, but feel free to just turn up & introduce yourself.

Advertisement