Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEC SF: Clermont Auvergne vs Leinster; Sunday 29 April, KO 1600(CET); Live Sky Sports

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I don't care how good their fans are I'd quiet happily not play them for a couple of years......

....well except if it was in the final next year, that would be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don't care how good their fans are I'd quiet happily not play them for a couple of years......

....well except if it was in the final next year, that would be epic.

I'm sure they feel the same. They must be sick of the sight of the Leinster side after 3 years on the trot. But that weekend was nothing short of epic. I can't see the march on the stadium ever being topped for me. It was just one big carnival. And watching Will Greenwood jumping up and down singing his lungs out with a bunch of the Clermont fans in the Connemara was very amusing. Not sure I could handle another game like it, but another weekend like it? Definitely. Have already arranged to meet up with a few of the Clermont lads in Twickenham too. Naturally they'll be cheering for Leinster!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'm sure they feel the same. They must be sick of the sight of the Leinster side after 3 years on the trot. But that weekend was nothing short of epic. I can't see the march on the stadium ever being topped for me. It was just one big carnival. And watching Will Greenwood jumping up and down singing his lungs out with a bunch of the Clermont fans in the Connemara was very amusing. Not sure I could handle another game like it, but another weekend like it? Definitely. Have already arranged to meet up with a few of the Clermont lads in Twickenham too. Naturally they'll be cheering for Leinster!

Yeah, gonna be half dressed in my Clermont gear I swapped for at Twickers... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

.ak wrote: »
    I got back from Bordeaux on Monday, and only got through reading this thread now. My 2c on the match...

First off, I just have to mention to those unfortunate enough not to make it to Bordeaux that the experience of marching to Stade Chaban with the rest of the fans was one of the best experiences I've ever had as a Rugby fan.

Whilst you may have heard constant boo'ing on the TV from Clermont fans, let me tell you that they are the furthest thing from hostile, or bad sports. It's just their way, they like to use the advantage of having 30,000 fans there to try and influence decisions. And so they should. Home advantage is home advantage.

Arriving at the stadium we were greeted by thousands of Clermont fans of all ages, we were treated like some sort of liberating army - they shook our hands, hugged us, kissed us, sang with us, gave us free wine and food. It was bizarre yet amazingly welcoming at the same time. They even made a banner in Irish to welcome us. The atmosphere around the ground itself was unbelievable, it was like a festival or something, brass bands on every corner, plenty of wine and beer, the sun was shining... Amazing experience, I won't forget it anytime soon.

As for the match itself, well the intensity at the match itself was something to behold. Aside from the Clermont fans being their noisy selves, we were in full song and it may as well have been a terrace, it was that kind of atmosphere - totally rammed, barely enough space to sit down so we stood for most of it, chanting and singing and waving flags... So analyzing the match real time wasn't the easiest thing to do. When we saw the replay of the Fofana knock on at the end I swear we celebrated like wild monkeys, the place went off big time.

I re-watched the match last night, and have to say, the whole Barnes 'gifting' us the game couldn't be further from the truth. I agree we were lucky in several respect - I think Leo's punch was barely that, he just tried to shove the player off because he was being held off the ball. Watching it again, that was right infront of us, and a lot of the Clermont players were up to all sorts of dirty tricks before it blew up. So in one respect Leo was lucky not to get a card for it, but in another sense the Clermont players were lucky not to get yellows for the amount of infringements.

The only yellows I thought Leinster deserved was Darce's cynical kicking of the ball offside, and Jamie's pulling at the line out.

However, in nearly every ruck we had to deal with two 18 stone locks lying on the wrong side of the ruck over the ball. How Cudmore and Hines didn't get yellows amazed me, after watching the game again from a more relaxed, analytical point of view I can definitely say that Clermont were just as lucky with ref as we were.

There was elements of luck that helped and hindered both teams. The Fofana knock on, the unlucky bounce for Isa, the missed infringements and niggily scraps from both sides.

IIRC the penalty count was 13-12 to Leinster. It doesn't get more tight than that. If Barnes did us a favour, then he did a favour equally to Clermont. A different ref might've yielded a different result, having said that the teams might've approached the game in a different manner with a different ref so we will never know I guess.

One thing is for sure, Leinster were the better team, and luck didn't win them the game. The first half they struggled with the set pieces, but looked dangerous anyway. In the second half the pack found their footing and the Healy try came straight off the training paddock, no luck involved just good play. Same with the Kearney's DG, it was a beaut. After that spell of points Leinster turned the screw and dominated the game.

They only have themselves for blame for giving away those cheap penalties and free kicks at the end, but Clermont should've never been let near that try line.

I think Barnes got a little lost in the occasion at the end mind you. The SOB turn over won us the game. Yet, wasn't it penalty advantage? It was a strange one, but looking at it again, I think Barnes spotted several things from the Clermont pack and wasn't happy with his initial decision to award the penalty from the 5m scrum. The Clermont pack wheeled it and bore in from the side, it was completely illegal, but Barnes just saw blue shirts on the deck and called it without thinking.

Then there was the assault on Leo, something tells me Barnes caught that from the corner of his eye and just decided that he had a better view of it he would be reversing the penalty... He then looked for any excuse to give Leinster a pen. SOB got his hands on the ball and that was enough. You can see James running up to Barnes and Barnes won't even look him in the eye, he just tells him to go away and doesn't explain the penalty advantage being lost... but my guess is Barnes was awarding Leinster for the many infringements at the ruck in the previous phase by Clermont.

So, all in all, a tough, epic battle on both sides. Not champagne rugby, but not a far cry from international test rugby when the stakes are high. Both sides had their fair share of dodgy calls, and for me that cancelled each other out.

At the end of the day Leinster were the better team and managed to turn the screw after completing a fantastic move that lead to a try. That is all that separated these two great teams.

But I can see the Clermont players being grieved by certain decisions, and god help Leinster if they meet them again next year.

On an interesting side note, we gave the Clermont fans a standing ovation when they did their lap after the match, and the look on their faces was brilliant. They seemed genuinely surprised and amazed at the support from the away fans at the end of the match, so much so they turned and applauded us. That'll always stuck out in my memory, especially the look on Rougerie and Hines' faces.

Absolutely epic day, and an epic weekend. Bumped into the Skysports gang straight after the match back in the Connemara pub.. so that probably explains why they cut it so early! :D

That's it I'm going to see them next season whether it be in the top 14 or Hcup. Great post, made me very jealous!.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Great post from .ak. Captured perfectly this classic. I am fortunate enough to be still in France and in sunshine. I am waiting for some friends to call, and have a Clermont flag hanging from the window. Like many, I feel really lucky to have been in Bordeaux last weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Well lads that gauntlet has been set down.

We're gonna have to try our absolute best to be at least as accommodating when they next visit Dublin.

You guys work on the banner, I'll start stockpiling cans of Guinness to give out around the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Too right. I'd be embarrassed if we didn't make some sort of effort for them if they returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I'd keep that under me hat if I was you. You know the crowd you'd get if word was out there was free cans goin.

"Here bud....rugby is it yeah ? Give us a can will ye ? Have ya got any smokes? "

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BrunoGeist

Hi everyone!
    Judging by some posts, a game and atmosphere like that doesn't happen so often. I've been to few matches in my life but I've never seen anything like that. So not only the weather is better over there. I wonder though how do they treat supporters of their day-to-day league competition.
    And yes I'm new around here :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

BrunoGeist wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    Judging by some posts, a game and atmosphere like that doesn't happen so often. I've been to few matches in my life but I've never seen anything like that. So not only the weather is better over there. I wonder though how do they treat supporters of their day-to-day league competition.
    And yes I'm new around here :-)
    Not sure if their top 14 opposition would get the same treatment but when I was in Clermont-Ferrand they were phenomenal as well. Just massively welcoming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

.ak, like you I was one of the lucky ones who could afford to make the trip over last weekend. All I can do is echo your sentiments, you sum it up perfectly. The march, the fans and the atmosphere. All were a level above anything I've ever experienced, even topped Toulouse in '06 for me.

Ended up having a couple of pints with Will Greenwood in the Connemara afterward and have to say, total gent, very down to earth and more than happy to have the banter and chat to everyone who wanted a word.

Just sorted my ticket, flights and accom for the final. Another epic weekend, just hoping it can be half as good as Bordeaux.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Just watching highlights of the match on TG4 player.

Remember the forward pass from Clermont in the first half when the replay showed it was a very harsh call? Well loads of people were complaining about that. I'm just pointing out that the whistle blew before the replayed pass was made. It was Hines who threw a forward inside pass before that. Sky showed the wrong pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Well spotted!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

So I think at this stage I’ve mentally recovered enough to post again (the body, especially my voice has a way to go to being back to 100%). To be honest I can’t really add too much other than to echo what all the previous posters who travelled have said. It was an unforgettable experience from the moment we arrived in France with friendly banter with the police at passport control to time we wearily left the Connemara late on Sunday night.

All I can say to any of our Clermont friends that might be following this thread is “Merci”.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Butch James got a yellow card and has been banned for 4 weeks for doing something not too dissimilar to what happened to Cullen.

http://www.rugbydump.com/2012/05/2540/butch-james-banned-for-four-weeks-for-dangerous-charge-against-the-brumbies

Edit: highlights of the Leinster game are up on RugbyDump now.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭davidpfitz

Only just noticed this now ... Boss got absolutely floored off the ball, just before we scored the try.

14 seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQgM5clYV5o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

davidpfitz wrote: »
    Only just noticed this now ... Boss got absolutely floored off the ball, just before we scored the try.

14 seconds in.

Good spot. And people were talking about Cullens slap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

davidpfitz wrote: »

14 seconds in.

Cudmore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

profitius wrote: »
    Good spot. And people were talking about Cullens slap!

It was discussed earlier in the thread, I didn't know what people were going on about because the French television director conveniently missed it, finally got around to watching the game back last night and it is such a cowardly, nasty hit that it's a disgrace he wasn't cited.

What a thug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Given that Boss was taken off shortly after and is reported as being doubtful for this weekend's game due to that hit, it should be a 100% citing. I think the ERC have a bit of a policy of letting things slide a bit from semi finals though so as not to mess up things for any play offs or finals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Jesus, only got around to re watching this now. That was very nasty by Cudmore.

I think in games like that though, just let it go. We did some filthy bits as did they. We won on the scoreboard, they won on the dirty tricks though, but I'll take it and move on! Don't cite our lads, and good luck.

Cudmore.

says it all doesn't it.

Mr. Nice Guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

probably a stupid question but, Is it possible to get a legal copy of the match anywhere? can it be bought on dvd? forgot to record it and would love to watch it again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Surley wrote: »
    probably a stupid question but, Is it possible to get a legal copy of the match anywhere? can it be bought on dvd? forgot to record it and would love to watch it again.

No, but Leinster may well bring out another DVD if they win the HEC again. It should have highlights of all the games and extended highlights of the knockouts.

GerM wrote: »
    Given that Boss was taken off shortly after and is reported as being doubtful for this weekend's game due to that hit, it should be a 100% citing. I think the ERC have a bit of a policy of letting things slide a bit from semi finals though so as not to mess up things for any play offs or finals.

If the ERC dont give a shít then Leinster should file criminal charges. To get clean away with injuring a player in that manner isnt on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Surley wrote: »

It'll probably surface on Youtube in a few months, there's a pretty decent highlights of the Toulouse semi from last year up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

MungBean wrote: »
    If the ERC dont give a shít then Leinster should file criminal charges. To get clean away with injuring a player in that manner isnt on.

Civil.

Criminal charges are brought by the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

MungBean wrote: »

Ah lads relax, it was a late hit but I've seen far worse on a rugby field

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Yeah, civil charges are a wee bit of a stretch. As the Aussies say 'it's footy mate'. Course he should've been punished and it shouldn't happen, but it does. Taking charges is a far.

• Advertisement

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Ah lads relax, it was a late hit but I've seen far worse on a rugby field

It was the work of a scumbag and led to the injury and replacement of a player in the semi final of the biggest competition in the northern hemisphere. I'd give the refs a bit off a break considering it was off the ball and its wasnt clear at the time. But the citing commission exists to discipline behaviour like this, if they cannot do it then you bypass them.

I'm sorry but this doesnt sit well with me at all to have Boss pay the price on the day and still now considering he was unavailable this weekend because of it while Cudmores actions are being brushed off as "Its a rough game".

Advertisement