Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEC SF: Clermont Auvergne vs Leinster; Sunday 29 April, KO 1600(CET); Live Sky Sports

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Tox56 wrote: »
    His leg was firm while players were being tossed around and on top of him, and then the second Cullen squeezes it "collapses" or however you want to say it.

That sounds a bit odd, but it's the best way I can describe it.
    Have another look. Luke FitzGerald (I think it is) dumps another CA player on Rougerie's right hip at the same time as his leg collapses.

It's very hard to say conclusively that Leo is definitely going for the.. ahem, balls there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

rrpc wrote: »
    Have another look. Luke FitzGerald (I think it is) dumps another CA player on Rougerie's right hip at the same time as his leg collapses.

It's very hard to say conclusively that Leo is definitely going for the.. ahem, balls there.

As I said, it's all circumstantial, but I saw that and didn't think that would cause his leg to collapse like it had been bitten by a rattlesnake, and the timing of the Cullen "squeeze" and the leg bending are so in sync.

Still, none of this alone is enough for a citing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Tox56 wrote: »
    As I said, it's all circumstantial, but I saw that and didn't think that would cause his leg to collapse like it had been bitten by a rattlesnake, and the timing of the Cullen "squeeze" and the leg bending are so in sync.

Still, none of this alone is enough for a citing.
    His legs are spread very wide, any impact on the hip/upper leg will also cause him to draw it in quickly, the strain would be very painful and would stress the knee laterally.

Wouldn't be a citing even if the conclusion was that he went for the 'weakest link', citings in such cases are only for contact with the eye/face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Good lord people, give it a rest. He may or may not have been trying to grab his goolies. He may or may not have grabbed his goolies. Only Cullen can tell us whether has was trying. Only Rougerie can tell with certainty whether his goolies were grabbed. So lets move on. With such a fantastic match, so many positive talking points, to get bogged down on such a minute & dull point is a great example of a lot of what goes wrong on these types of forums.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There was a nasty enough move on Leo Cullen right at the end of the game - not sure if this was picked up on before.
    Julien Bardy (no.20) deliberately comes at him head first, into the side of the face. Then he head locks and kinda paws at him afterwards. Cullen himself didn't seem bothered, but he was bloodied by it.
    The incident is at 23.40 on the TG4 player.

203035.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

WeeBushy wrote: »
    This is why Clermont fans are the best in the world!

I stopped filming at that point because the Clermont fans had lined the street so closely that we had to walk through in single file as the shook our hands, wished us luck, welcomed us, and a few of them even joined in singing 'Allez les Blues' with us! I really can't overstate how good their fans were. Despite being within a bicep of winning, straight after the final whistle they came up wished us luck, said they would be up for us in the final, and wanted to swap scarves, hats etc. I got a very cool ASM beret! A real credit to their club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

slowburner wrote: »
    There was a nasty enough move on Leo Cullen right at the end of the game - not sure if this was picked up on before.
    Julien Bardy (no.20) deliberately comes at him head first, into the side of the face. Then he head locks and kinda paws at him afterwards. Cullen himself didn't seem bothered, but he was bloodied by it.
    The incident is at 23.40 on the TG4 player.

203035.jpg

Did you not have a look down through the thread first?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Reddans impact cannot be understated, he was a big part of the reason Leinster won and IMO should have started

Reddan was sent on @53'

CH Try @42'
    RK DG @47'

JS Converted 01 Penalty post Reddans introduction.

Time to remove the rose tints old bean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

my friend wrote: »
    Reddan was sent on @53'

CH Try @42'
    RK DG @47'

JS Converted 01 Penalty post Reddans introduction.

Time to remove the rose tints old bean.

I'm a Munster fan "old bean"

And I was aware Reddan wasn't involved in the try, did I state otherwise?

He was crucial in speeding up Leinsters ball and keeping the Clermont pack on its feet tiring them out as well as affording Leinster more territory with quicker ball in the vital 20 minutes after it

Maybe the fact that you're the only one on the forum so far who thinks Reddan had "a howler" is indication enough that you're the one with the tinted glasses on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

He was crucial in speeding up Leinsters ball and keeping the Clermont pack on its feet tiring them out as well as affording Leinster more territory with quicker ball in the vital 20 minutes after it

100% correct.

I'm really not a fan of the lad but I have to admit from the off, he came on with fury in him.

He sped up what Boss had started and was a significant influence on the game.

• Advertisement

Maybe the fact that you're the only one on the forum so far who thinks Reddan had "a howler" is indication enough that you're the one with the tinted glasses on

I never used the word 'howler' perhaps you have difficulty reading what I posted, trail back and when you correct yourself, I'll continue.

Hi mom, honest analysis demanded... Reddin had a fowler.

Plan C?

Ulster are surely asking

There you go

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I never used the word 'howler' perhaps you have difficulty reading what I posted, trail back and when you correct yourself, I'll continue.
    Reddan was excellent.

Either you don't understand what you were watching or you have an axe to grind.

Reddan was excellent.

Either you don't understand what you were watching or you have an axe to grind.

This

There you go

You are not quoting me, you edited my quote, I will leave you to the Moderator so.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

Hi mom, honest analysis demanded... Reddin had a fowler.

Plan C?

Ulster are surely asking

Can you tell me what a 'fowler' is?
    I feel I'm missing something here!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

conor1979 wrote: »
    Can you tell me what a 'fowler' is?
    I feel I'm missing something here!

A 'howler' of an attempt at spelling the word he was looking for.

Ah, I see how it works now...

Reddin Fan Club good, objective analysis bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Nope and you'll find plenty of criticism of him on here from a number of people. However, everyone can see that he plainly made a very positive impact at the weekend and the facts are there to support it i.e. forcing knock ons from opposition, getting width on the ball with skip passing and a great touchfinder. Picking out a couple of isolated mistakes for the player who touches the ball more than anyone else on the field doesn't stand up to any scrutiny in the face of the overall performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

MugMugs wrote: »
    100% correct.

I'm really not a fan of the lad but I have to admit from the off, he came on with fury in him.

He sped up what Boss had started and was a significant influence on the game.

:confused:

I was merely expressing my opinion. I am far from being in the "Reddan Fan Club"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

You will find that we love objective analysis here.

You aren't the one using it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

I am a fan of Reddan, along with being a fan of every other Irish rugby player.

Now I'm still wondering what a 'fowler' is in terms of playin rugby.
    Did he go off in a huff for some reason or something? Did someone rob his sweets?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Amusing coincidence, how in Cullen's book, in the chapter describing their trip to Clermont during the pool stages of the 10/11 HC, he details how Scelzo had given him a box on the nose, as the former had held back the latter during a 22. Cullen goes on to say that he deserved it, adding:

"If someone was holding me back, I'd swing at them just as quickly" p.72

True to his word!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ok some posts have been deleted. People remember to attack the post and not the poster

You are not quoting me, you edited my quote, I will leave you to the Moderator so.

I edited out your typo for sake of clarity

Unless of course you actually think reddan had a "fowler", which isn't actually a word

It's been shown up here that you're the only one with a bias towards Reddan

I'm not a huge fan, he's a good speedy passer but has many flaws

However, you are in the very tiny minority (just yourself) who thought he had an awful game Sunday

I edited out your typo for sake of clarity

Unless of course you actually think reddan had a "fowler", which isn't actually a word

It's been shown up here that you're the only one with a bias towards Reddan

I'm not a huge fan, he's a good speedy passer but has many flaws

However, you are in the very tiny minority (just yourself) who thought he had an awful game Sunday

would you not agree that he does not have the physical game that Boss brought?

Yes, he came on full of adrenaline but look what happens when you're not in control.... crazy DG attempt, penalty conceded

in a game like the one we are discussing its your errors that will cost you the game, esp w Brock James kicking

if anyone had debated w me, I would have developed my reasoning , instead we witnessed a collective attack dog knee jerk defence.

I now know better how things work here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

would you not agree that he does not have the physical game that Boss brought?

Yes.

Would you not agree that he provides for a far quicker game then Boss does? When Leinster put some quick passes together they started to seriously stretch the Clermont defence.

The drop goal was poor but he was isolated and under pressure. Its also not really his fault that Leinster messed up the restart (something they desperately need to work on as it was woeful against Clermont).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

So answer this.
    What is a fowler ???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

if anyone had debated w me, I would have developed my reasoning , instead we witnessed a collective attack dog knee jerk defence.

well maybe if you are bothered developing your reasoning initially people would of debated with you.

I've been going through your posts and they offer very little in the way of constructiveness, instead they seem to be pop shots looking to get a rise out of people, so please either up the level of your posting or please don't post

• Advertisement

well maybe if you are bothered developing your reasoning initially people would of debated with you.

I've been going through your posts and they offer very little in the way of constructiveness, instead they seem pop shots looking to get a rise out of people, so please either up the level of your posting or please don't post

fair enough, I will remove from posting here but I will continue to read here and will expect you to demand the same of others.

My comments always related to Reddin as a player and his actions, yet others chose to personally attack me rather than debate, if that's what rolls, I am out

Advertisement