Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEC SF: Clermont Auvergne vs Leinster; Sunday 29 April, KO 1600(CET); Live Sky Sports

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

ERC Highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Unreal last few minutes on the radio from Michael Corcoran http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/#!/clip/816/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I still can't quite work out that move for the try. It was bewildering!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

MungBean wrote: »
    Watching the end again and the Clermont 20 clearly head butts Leo and then proceeds to try and twist his head off. Wonder if he'll be cited for it.

In fairness, he'll probably get away with the headbutt easily, doesn't actually look too bad to me, the fish-hook on the other hand is disgraceful.. Also, just seen it there, Cullen is holding the Clermont 14 in the ruck not allowing him to get away to the next ruck, am I the only one who thinks he might've been able to secure the ball if he was able to break free?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Just back in the door after taking three bloody flights today. Voice is pretty close to gone and am completely exhausted but have some nice Clermont gear I traded with fans and it was the best experience I've ever had at a game.

I simply can not say enough about the Clermont fans - absolutely unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

This is why Clermont fans are the best in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

And this sign...

525517_10150998487064638_196189359637_13095633_515881121_n.jpg

Those classy French bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Teferi wrote: »
    And this sign...

525517_10150998487064638_196189359637_13095633_515881121_n.jpg

Those classy French bastards.

Google translate strikes again!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Clermont fans are just absolutely brilliant. I remember asking to the Michelin last season and a bunch of them came up to me to tell me how great Jonny Sexton is, as if they were grateful to me! Discovering 20 or so of them in a pub before the final was epic, singing songs about Joe Schmidt!

Not really...
    I'd obviously wish for Munster to be where Leinster are now, but we had our years of dominance. The next few years will be about rebuilding a squad capable of scaling those heights again.

Am I not allowed to express my opinion on Cullen's actions in that .gif, or is that an exclusive right to being a Leinster fan?
    :pac:

We're you calling Quinlan a coward after the semi in 09? Somehow I doubt it. It's an all-Irish Heineken Cup final, not the end of the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

That cullen clip is full on pronogaphy. :eek:
    Could easily also be an attempt to grab shorts for purchase. :rolleyes:

See what citing dude says, lot of nasty digs towards the end of the match. Lime rougerie in the WC final (butt n gouge on mccaw)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just home from Bordeaux. Haven't read all of the thread, but will just say that I have never, and probably never will experience anything like the reception the Clermont fans gave us on the march to the stadium. Absolutely unreal, best fans on the planet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

They really are. Definitely the best rugby experience I've ever had! For those of us that were lucky enough to be there it will be a day to never forget! Are Clermont still going to be second seeds next year? I would love to have them in the group stages again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

ScareGilly wrote: »
    In fairness, he'll probably get away with the headbutt easily, doesn't actually look too bad to me

not too bad ? he was lucky he didnt break Cullens jaw -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Haha just looked at the gif that people claim is Cullen grabbing balls. There is no way Rougerie allows his balls to hang down that low.

I would think like any player these days be wears something pretty tight which keep them jammed up between his legs and not dangling down where cullen caught his shorts.

The bitterness is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

ktulu123 wrote: »
    I would love to have them in the group stages again.

I'd far sooner have Edinburgh, tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

WeeBushy wrote: »

That is epic. I think I"m going to have to buy a Clermont jersey after seeing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

That right there is why I love rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Sundy wrote: »
    Haha just looked at the gif that people claim is Cullen grabbing balls. There is no way Rougerie allows his balls to hang down that low.

I would think like any player these days be wears something pretty tight which keep them jammed up between his legs and not dangling down where cullen caught his shorts.

The bitterness is hilarious.

I'm a Leinster fan who thought he should be cited and I wasn't the only one.

WeeBushy wrote: »

What makes this even more impressive imo, is that they have been to 11 finals in 11 years, and lost 10 on the trot.

How hard would it be to follow this team unless you were a nutcase!?

Tempted to try get across next year for a HEC match, regardless of whether or not they have Irish opposition!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Well, citings have to be in by 5pm today so we'll soon know. 4 possible citing incidents in the game. The two for Cullen, Bardy's headbutt and Cudmore's off the ball charge.

I think Bardy might be the only one that is cited although I think there's good cases for Cullen's slap/punch and Cudmore's charge. Cullen's grab is a nothing incident for me and I can't see how he could have grabbed anything but shorts. It looks like he grabbed the bottom of the shorts from the pictures and unless Rougerie doesn't wear a strap or undershorts which nearly everyone wears and he is hung like a rhino, then nothing was grabbed.

Barnes seemed satisfied that Cullen's effort was handbags and Faure made a meal of it after holding Cullen back. He spoke with Cullen and seemed happy to leave it which could come into account. Should definitely have been punished at the time though in some way and surprised it wasn't. Cudmore's effort seems to have had very little coverage and, although both cynical and dangerous, I think it will go unpunished with a try being scored from the resulting move.

Bardy's effort is in a class of its own. You really can cite him for any one of three things: a headbutt, a choke hold and what appears to be fish hooking Cullen's mouth. Cullen had blood on his mouth after the game. Not sure if it was directly resulting from that clash but it definitely would have further damaged an existing wound. Should definitely be called to a hearing.

Tox56 wrote: »
    What exactly should he be citied for? Grabbing a players shorts?

theres no way he was able to catch a hold of the guys nuts there.

What convinced me was A) What on earth was Cullen doing, and B) Rougerie's right leg collapsing at the exact moment Cullen squeezed without any other obvious provocation. It's more circumstancial but even if he isn't cited, what does he think he's doing putting his hand in someones shorts, and squeezing.

By leg collapsing you mean he moved it a. couple of inches. In the middle if a ruck. Could not possibly be more circumstantial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Of course he would have, I'm not sure how you're laid out but if someone grabbed me around there it would be in and around the money

It careless of Cullen at best and cynical if he meant it. But as I've said before it's impossible to judge by the GIF if it was or not but it's plain as day where his hand ended up

And for the record, it's not bitterness if someone discusses a somewhat controversial moment in the game in relation to Leinster so can we stop it with that ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Why does it matter if he actually got a hold of the vegetables? Actually succeeding in hurting a player is not a prerequisite for other types of foul play like gouging [not comparing it to gouging] for a citing and ban to occur.

Well if i was in that position I would be trying to impede the player by holding on to his shorts. Players do it all the time. Cullen wasnt looking where he put his hand.
    He doesnt exactly go rooting for rougeries balls
    he doesnt squeeze he grabs the shorts.

By leg collapsing you mean he moved it a. couple of inches. In the middle if a ruck. Could not possibly be more circumstantial.

His leg was firm while players were being tossed around and on top of him, and then the second Cullen squeezes it "collapses" or however you want to say it.

That sounds a bit odd, but it's the best way I can describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

His leg was firm while players were being tossed around and on top of him, and then the second Cullen squeezes it "collapses" or however you want to say it.

That sounds a bit odd, but it's the best way I can describe it.

Is he unable to bend his knee otherwise?

• Advertisement

tolosenc wrote: »
    Is he unable to bend his knee otherwise?

Yes he could, but there is no other immediately obvious provocation, and the "squeeze" and the leg bending are simultaneous. I presume Cullen's aim was to get Rougerie off his feet and free up the ball, and I think he was succesful from my memory of the match.

Advertisement