Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEC SF: Clermont Auvergne vs Leinster; Sunday 29 April, KO 1600(CET); Live Sky Sports

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Quint2010 wrote: »
    http://www.sportsfile.com/id/615715/

Look where Joe Schmidt was in the last minute!

I actually laughed out loud, ligind!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Can't blame Schmidt, I was jumping up and down wanting to get out there myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

durkadurka wrote: »

We're lucky to have a player of his confidence and ability playing a type of rugby that suits him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Watching the end again and the Clermont 20 clearly head butts Leo and then proceeds to try and twist his head off. Wonder if he'll be cited for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭clsmooth

MungBean wrote: »
    Watching the end again and the Clermont 20 clearly head butts Leo and then proceeds to try and twist his head off. Wonder if he'll be cited for it.

And a headlock thrown in for good measure! Fair play to Leo for not losing the head

We're lucky to have a player of his confidence and ability playing a type of rugby that suits him

His kicking from hand in the first half was a bit ropey but he really came on in the second.

Definitely one of the greatest HEC games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

MungBean wrote: »

thats nasty , saw him trying to pull Leo's head off during the game didn't see the head butt though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Saw that guy come on and when he was packing down for a scrum he looked absolutely posessed, not surprised he lost it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Tox56 wrote: »
    Saw that guy come on and when he was packing down for a scrum he looked absolutely posessed, not surprised he lost it..

Made an awful knock on before that too, was probably trying to make up for it by decapitating Cullen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Sivivatu had a brilliant game today. He was their best back by far.

He fell off tacklers and made plenty of yards. He's definitely a foreign signing thats come to earn his money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Watching highlights now on Sky, the Fofana knock-on was not poor play by him, he got absolutely emptied by D'Arcy a metre from the line.

Shocking foul play from Bardy on Cullen, desperate times & desperate measures I suppose.

Clegg wrote: »
    Sivivatu had a brilliant game today. He was their best back by far.

He fell off tacklers and made plenty of yards. He's definitely a foreign signing thats come to earn his money.

Was my MotM for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

How the **** is Quinnell calling that a try ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Neil3030 wrote: »

he is welsh :P

Neil3030 wrote: »

Bizarre. He was saying that the angle that's all blurry and out of focus, it's a try, but the one with perfect resolution shows it's not a try. "They got away with it" Eh???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bizarre. He was saying that the angle that's all blurry and out of focus, it's a try, but the one with perfect resolution shows it's not a try. "They got away with it" Eh???

Exactly! To paraphrase further, "from this angle here, where we can't actually see what happens, it's a try, then when you see it from the other shot, where the ball clearly isn't grounded, you're not so sure...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Rob Kearney: Luck goes your way sometimes and I think we were probably very lucky out there for it to finish the way it did.

What a bitter man.

*Runs for cover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Hagz wrote: »
    Rob Kearney: Luck goes your way sometimes and I think we were probably very lucky out there for it to finish the way it did.

What a bitter man.

*Runs for cover

Good point - but there's a world of difference between magnanimity and bitterness. Had Leinster won by 20 points those same people who are calling Leinster lucky would say Clermont were terrible. There are those who are just embittered. It's a shame, really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

With about 4mins to go Clermont had a penalty pretty much in front of the posts, fairly central anyway, but Parra tapped and went. I was amazed at this. All they had to do was slot the penalty, then control the game from the kickoff and work it up to at least a drop goal position. Then I was thinking they'd one missed penalty (5/6 is still pretty good) but 4 missed drop goals. In a way they had to go for the try then especially after the missed drop goals in the QF in the RDS a few years back.

Clermont had scored 27 tries in this years HEC which is by far the highest and are third highest in the Top 14 try scoring table with 42. Yet Leinsters defence today was brilliant and they weren't getting much of a look in until the very death. Even still D'arcy was there to put Fofana in such a position that he was coming over the line on his back. Looking at ESPN's stats Leinster made 123 tackles and missed 9 giving a tackle success rate of 93.2% which is excellent really.

People have said that we were lucky today but you make your own luck i.e. Clermont had to go for a try to win the game even though there were other options, they had to break our defence. You don't get lucky in defence, you work for everything you get. That's just what Leinster did, we worked for everything.

Take Mike Ross for example. When he came over from Harlequins he was a guy who for the most part just scrummaged. His loose play was relatively non existent. He made 10 tackles in defence today and punched through their line on one occasion too with real conviction. He worked for everything today.

It's great to see, but as I said earlier you don't get lucky when you work so hard.

Did anyone see the look of shock on Ross's face when he had to catch a line out in the first half?

Did anyone see the look of shock on Ross's face when he had to catch a line out in the first half?

It was just as well he did. Plenty to work on for Leinster in terms of the lineouts. To me, it seemed like the problem was the throwing rather than the jumping, but maybe the arrival of Thorn has disrupted things a bit.

It was just as well he did. Plenty to work on for Leinster in terms of the lineouts. To me, it seemed like the problem was the throwing rather than the jumping, but maybe the arrival of Thorn has disrupted things a bit.

The line out has defo not been right since thorn arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I though the Darce and BOD both had immense games today. BOD is almost back to where he was five years ago. Their super smart tag teaming neutralised a potent Claremont midfield from the get go. Leinster played, imho, slightly below par especially in their rucking. Their clearing was consistently poor where they were coming in after the first Claremont man and instead of getting under him and scooping him off, they were going down beside him and ridiculously trying to wheel him sideways. Disappointing, though it improved considerably in the second half.

In the pub in Ranelagh (Smyths) the place was totally perplexed for each of the first two or three kicks by Sexton .. the camera angles were DREADFUL all game and they seemed to show his kicks wide. We were agog when they were shown to have been successful.

For me Sexton's late kick was also clearly over. And for the record I DO NOT get it that two professional referees standing at the base of their posts cannot judge if a kick it in-or-out ...
    Again ... the camera work all through the game was ATROCIOUS.

As far as luck goes, I thought we were overall unlucky throughout, except for the last minute when we nearly through the whole thing away with that last scrum. Thankfully Claremont's decision making was poor throughout imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

The line out has defo not been right since thorn arrived.

The biggest proportion of lost lineouts seem to be for not straight. That's on Strauss or Cronin, not Thorn.

Yes the camera work sucked majorly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    I thought Sextons kick was probably over too

Swings and roundabouts

I think it was over. The camera position was well to the right of Sexton,. The ball was barely to the right of the post from the camera angle, so it was not a good indication of the ball relative to the post. They should have shown an angle from behind the posts.
    I've never had to leave the room because I cannot watch the game during any sport, but as soon as I did I thought I cannot not watch it.

lologram wrote: »
    The biggest proportion of lost lineouts seem to be for not straight. That's on Strauss or Cronin, not Thorn.

Agreed- is it coincidence that it happened since thorns arrival?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Thorn out!

:P

Advertisement