Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creole Restaurant in Dominick Street (Beside Cava)

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Going to Creole tomorrow night with wife and 2 kids.
    What should I order to get the best of whats on offer?
    I love seafood but I hear these ribs are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Have the blackened cat fish and I would avoid the ribs big time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Shelflife wrote: »
    Have the blackened cat fish and I would avoid the ribs big time.

I wouldn't, as a rule, ever eat cat fish in ireland.
    It tends to be Thai Basa and the stuff is not fit for human consumption!

No idea what Creole are using, but you can be sure as **** it's not local...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Seaneh wrote: »
    I wouldn't, as a rule, ever eat cat fish in ireland.
    It tends to be Thai Basa and the stuff is not fit for human consumption!

No idea what Creole are using, but you can be sure as **** it's not local...

hmmmm, Seaneh - this is from Creole: stick to the fast food takeouts I think because you seem to be misinformed a lot lately on food. :D

"A little lesson in catfish. Our catfish is handline caught in the North Atlantic. The species of catfish are called the wolf fish or wolfie. A really flavourful fish that is hardy to strong flavours such as Cajun seasoning. Next time your in try some catfish. Sourced from local suppliers, sponsoring jobs for local people"

Wolf fish isn't catfish though, in fairness.
    They are also benthic dwellers (live on the bottom on the ocean) and are generally not line caught, so that's cods wollop, they are a species concern as well, more so even than cod or salmon.

Tasty fish, but generally they are by-catch from big ships who are going for plaice and sole and use large chains to knock the bottom fish into their nets.

There wouldn't be many irish boats small enough to line fish as far up in the waters where wolffish live.

• Advertisement

Atlantic wolffish (Anarhichas lupus), also known as the seawolf, Atlantic catfish, ocean catfish, :D:D

It's still not a catfish.

It called "Scottish Halibut" in parts of the UK as well, but I doubt you'd get away with selling it as halibut in a restaurant...

It's still not a catfish.

It called "Scottish Halibut" in parts of the UK as well, but I doubt you'd get away with selling it as halibut in a restaurant...

:rolleyes:

Yes, they are Atlantic Catfish Seaneh, but they are marketed in Britain as "Scotch halibut" and "Scarborough woof", or, simply "woof" in other areas of the northeast coast. "marketed being the relevant word there. It doesn't take away from the fact that they are Atlantic CATfish. they are also a popular ingredient in fish and chips. The oil extracted from the liver is said to be equal in quality to the best cod liver oil.

okay, you don't like thai basa catfish - but don't put a restaurant down because you are assuming that they use a certain ingredient when the don't.

Wolf fish isn't catfish though, in fairness.
    They are also benthic dwellers (live on the bottom on the ocean) and are generally not line caught, so that's cods wollop, they are a species concern as well, more so even than cod or salmon.

Tasty fish, but generally they are by-catch from big ships who are going for plaice and sole and use large chains to knock the bottom fish into their nets.

There wouldn't be many irish boats small enough to line fish as far up in the waters where wolffish live.

i see you edited this since I read it last.

Again, I would say that it isn't really nice when you do your hardest to blacken a restaurant despite the actual restaurant confirming what fish they use. Is there something going on we should know about?

:rolleyes:

Yes, they are Atlantic Catfish Seaneh, but they are marketed in Britain as "Scotch halibut" and "Scarborough woof", or, simply "woof" in other areas of the northeast coast. "marketed being the relevant word there. It doesn't take away from the fact that they are Atlantic CATfish. they are also a popular ingredient in fish and chips. The oil extracted from the liver is said to be equal in quality to the best cod liver oil.

okay, you don't like thai basa catfish - but don't put a restaurant down because you are assuming that they use a certain ingredient when the don't.

I didn't put somewhere down form an assumption, I stated that the majority of catfish sold in Ireland is Thai Basa, which is poisonous ****e, which is true.

And it's not catfish.

Catfish are freshwater fish, they have barbels (or whiskers), they have don't have scales.

Worlf fish have nothing in common with catfish.

If you went into somewhere and they were selling Coley or Hake as cod, and you found it, you'd probably a be a bit pissed off, wouldn't you?
    Well, atleast coly and hake are from the same family as cod and actually have the exact same taste and texture (cod has bigger flakes of meat and can be a little more firm).

Or would you accept somewhere selling you pork as beef?

• Advertisement

i see you edited this since I read it last.

Again, I would say that it isn't really nice when you do your hardest to blacken a restaurant despite the actual restaurant confirming what fish they use. Is there something going on we should know about?

Yes, I am secretly the owner of the other restaurant on the otherside of town who also sell ribs, corn bread and gumbo, this is all a marketing campaign... I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn;t for you and your own brand of neuroticism... :rolleyes:

I didn't put somewhere down form an assumption, I stated that the majority of catfish sold in Ireland is Thai Basa, which is poisonous ****e, which is true.

And it's not catfish.

Catfish are freshwater fish, they have barbels (or whiskers), they have don't have scales.

Worlf fish have nothing in common with catfish.

If you went into somewhere and they were selling Coley or Hake as cod, and you found it, you'd probably a be a bit pissed off, wouldn't you?
    Well, atleast coly and hake are from the same family as cod and actually have the exact same taste and texture (cod has bigger flakes of meat and can be a little more firm).

Or would you accept somewhere selling you pork as beef?

no I wouldn't accept pork as beef and I don't think anybody would. However I invite you to read this :D

Saltwater Catfish - A Profile:

These catfish are found from Texas to Virginia and even further north on almost any kind of inland water, even in offshore water in depths up to about thirty feet. They are exactly like their freshwater cousins. In fact, if they are lying side by side, it is virtually impossible to distinguish one from the other.
    There is one difference that anyone who has handled them can tell you about. The saltwater variety has some powerful pain associated with its fins. Even a small prick by one of them can cause some real discomfort. And a full-fledged stick in the hand can cause swelling, pain, and even nausea in some people.

I rest my case - it's not the first time you have made mistakes in an effort to put down an restaurant that you don't like.

no I wouldn't accept pork as beef and I don't think anybody would. However I invite you to read this :D

Saltwater Catfish - A Profile:

These catfish are found from Texas to Virginia and even further north on almost any kind of inland water, even in offshore water in depths up to about thirty feet. They are exactly like their freshwater cousins. In fact, if they are lying side by side, it is virtually impossible to distinguish one from the other.
    There is one difference that anyone who has handled them can tell you about. The saltwater variety has some powerful pain associated with its fins. Even a small prick by one of them can cause some real discomfort. And a full-fledged stick in the hand can cause swelling, pain, and even nausea in some people.

Are you actually claiming that wolffish are catfish now?

Even the fish you just linked to lived 7000 miles away and only in saltwater up to 30feet and usually lives in inland waterways. It's know as Gafftopsail catfish and it considered trash fish by fishermen as it tastes like ****.

Wolf Fish is actually tasty, it's just not catfish.

As I said

I rest my case - it's not the first time you have made mistakes in an effort to put down an restaurant that you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

All I said was that that piece of fish was good enough for Jehovah :eek::confused:

All I said was that that piece of fish was good enough for Jejovah :eek::confused:

/me chucks stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

As I said

In fairness the way you overtly defend it at every given opportunity is far worse than someone pointing out that they arent using a particular product which they clearly arent using.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

All I said was that that piece of fish was good enough for Jejovah :eek::confused:
    You're only making it worse for yourself. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭squonk

I was in on Saturday evening. I really liked the chicken wings. They could have done with some of the hot sauce thrown over them to finish but they were pretty good overall. I had the ribs as well and I wasn't impressed with those. A previous poster who is a chef elaborated far better that I can what the problems are with that dish. The key lime pie was lovely. I'll go back because I want to try the gumbo and a few other things. I like what they're trying to do and all I'd say is that if you're doing ribs, don't just chuck them in the oven and leave it at that. The rub did add to the ribs however. A nice touch too was the craft beer on the menu.

Advertisement