Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creole Restaurant in Dominick Street (Beside Cava)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Chewabacca wrote: »
    Went there last night after reading the positive reviews here. After my experience I definitely would not recommend it to anyone.

Before I start I'd like to say that this kind of hearty food is what I love most. After seeing the menu I was sure that I would love it.

Me and my family arrived at 8. We had placed our orders just before 8.15. Amazingly the starters didn't arrive until 8.45. Having worked in kitchens for years now I know that none of the dishes should take more then 5 minutes to cook, meaning that they all should have been out in less than 20 minutes seeing as it wasn't overly busy. Two of us had the clam chowder. It was nice but my portion was much smaller then the other portion, even though they both came out of the same pot. Also, as far as I could tell there were no clams in the chowder, only mussels. On top of this the chowder was incredibly over seasoned.

We finished the starters by 9 and were then waiting until 9.25 for our mains to arrive. This is madness considering half of our mains were slow cooked and were more then likely ready to be served already. One person ordered the blackened catfish. It was so over seasoned and over spiced that it was completely inedible. I like my food spicy and saltier then most and not even I could eat it. The replacement didnt arrive until everyone else had finished their mains and there were no apologies for this.
    I ordered a baked potato with my main and they brought chips instead. When I said that I ordered a potato they brought out an incredibly under-cooked potato.

I had to leave at this stage because I had made plans, delayed them and was still late. 1 hour and 45 minutes minutes after arriving I had barely finished my main, and none of the people I was with are slow eaters.

I've worked in the industry for 3 years now and knew that none of this was acceptable.

Unfortunately, I couldn't complain. A family member who lives abroad was over visiting and we were out for dinner because of this. Every time I said something in complaint I noticed that it brought down the tempo and was ruining the dinner. I did not complain because it seems that nobody in this country complains while out and I knew that if i complained about the entire meal being sub par I'd have to argue with staff and ask for a manager, which i don't enjoy doing.

I'm not overly fussy about these sort of things but when the bill is around €180 I feel that the standard of the whole night was just not good enough. All this on a Wednesday night too.

I would not recommend this place to anyone after my experience.
    Sounds like a bad meal but the timing of 25mins between starter and main isnt extraordinary, we were in Rouge last week and was roughly around that. Our meal was a total of 2 hours for 3 courses. Cant understand the attitude of 'i know i should have complained but Irish people dont so i didnt', if its crap then tell them, might cop them on a bit as the reviews seem very mixed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Sounds like a bad meal but the timing of 25mins between starter and main isnt extraordinary, we were in Rouge last week and was roughly around that. Our meal was a total of 2 hours for 3 courses. Cant understand the attitude of 'i know i should have complained but Irish people dont so i didnt', if its crap then tell them, might cop them on a bit as the reviews seem very mixed.

If I owned a restaurant I'd google it the odd time.

This thread shows up as result #2.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Sorry I phrased it wrong. What I was trying to say is that I didn't want to cause a scene and ruin the night for my family by complaing. By saying that Irish people don't complain I was trying to say that if i complained a big deal would have been made as people don't complain often.

The time between courses is only an issue because the restaurant was not that busy and all the dishes were ones that either cooked in a few minutes or were already cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 whiterhino

I went to creole again just to make sure I didnt catch them on a bad day! boy do I regret it! I had again a bowl of seriously overcooked rice which only was flavoured with tomato juice. Inside mush were rubbery and overcooked prawns which had some kind of black dirt/poop running through them! The chicken was so dry and had been prevoisly cooked to death before being heated up again. The ham was like really pale looking and tasteless maybee was not fresh or just really cheap. what is the story of the chicken on a board that looked like it should be in a burger??? how can someone put on a sqaure of cheese onto a breast of poison and try and serve it inside a restaurant with again wilted lifeless sogy salas with dressing bought from dunnes! wTF is the problem with the skinny ribs did the farmer neglect the pigs or what dry and stuck to the bone as if bonded with super glue. complete waste of money but have at least backed up my previous statement which was nottttt gooooooooooooooooooood:mad:

whiterhino wrote: »
    I went to creole again just to make sure I didnt catch them on a bad day! boy do I regret it! I had again a bowl of seriously overcooked rice which only was flavoured with tomato juice. Inside mush were rubbery and overcooked prawns which had some kind of black dirt/poop running through them! The chicken was so dry and had been prevoisly cooked to death before being heated up again. The ham was like really pale looking and tasteless maybee was not fresh or just really cheap. what is the story of the chicken on a board that looked like it should be in a burger??? how can someone put on a sqaure of cheese onto a breast of poison and try and serve it inside a restaurant with again wilted lifeless sogy salas with dressing bought from dunnes! wTF is the problem with the skinny ribs did the farmer neglect the pigs or what dry and stuck to the bone as if bonded with super glue. complete waste of money but have at least backed up my previous statement which was nottttt gooooooooooooooooooood:mad:
    Did you complian, explain you ate there twice and it was 'soooooooooooo bad'? If not then more fool you as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Groan....... I wasn't overly keen on creole but I had my say, I hope they Improve. Can ANYONE else that haven't posted PLEASE give their thoughts!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭thesandeman

sogy salas

Sounds like a good name for a Mediterranean Dish.
    You ain't doin the neighbours any favours dude.

It is not my intentions to do anyone any favours in this thread except the people that would be wasting their money on going to a restaurant that produces food of a less superior quality than one could make at home themselves! Those people who would actually eat there and contradict every negative comment are purely biased reveiws which made me return thinking that my bad experience was a one off, when in fact it was not because the same food was ordered and it still had the same BIG problems with them. Its not like one or two things were wrong about the meal evrything was. Why is everything in the jumbalaya cooked to a point beyond death? Its not hard to have fresh ingredients in a dish or a fresh crispy salad on the side not using. You would think that a chef could also come up with something better than a piece of unseasoned chicken with a slice of cheese on it with chips as a main coarse what happend to the bun lol was it dropped on the floor and then oh yes a dish was born what a great idea. where is the Mississippi mud pie ? This desert is clearly ordered in and shows a complete lack of knowledge about the cuisine as it resembles more of a chocolate sponge with sauce on top. Either the owner has complete control over the kitchen and restricts what the kitchen can do, or the kitchen is completely inexperienced and don't have a clue how to cook at all. I am only warning people who go out to eat not to waste their money on something that may look cheap on the menu but the price is reflected in the quality of ingredients and understanding of how food should be. To put it to the point I really bet that those defending this restaurant wouldnt really pay to eat in there at all, so why would you defend it? it isnt good at all. Those working their need to go back to school and learn the fundamentals of cooking before stepping into a cuisine that is a complexed mix of cultures! maybee its a new fusion cuisine made to try and make money the cheapest way possible from an idea ie FISH & CHIPS= Catfish & Chips. Steak and Chips with peppercorn sauce? What about a cajun cream sauce or is that hitting the boundaries of rocket science :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Shrimp%252Band%252BOkra%252BGumbo%252B500.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-43eBpx5IVH0/TXba_5nQmNI/AAAAAAAALac/ZU12h5fxWoc/s800/Shrimp%252Band%252BOkra%252BGumbo%252B500.jpg

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwADy_ZLWiZMjdPsQnrVSlugHSDhmXOW1BiUCkbMdo_IrGjxJbIg&t=1

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1099/778947622_69be8aead2.jpg

http://www.black-dwarf.com/Recipes/phpThumb/phpThumb.php,qsrc=..,_RecipeImages,_2-Ceasar,P20Salad.jpg,aw=450.pagespeed.ce.EPe4tuXB6s.jpg

:D

Notice the grains of rice and the quantity and quality of ingredients compared to it also.
    Notice the Gumbo looks fresh! the rice isnt nuked to death!
    Notice the Ceasar Salad WTF was put in front of my face!

Why should the quality of food be so poor when you are paying good money for them!

• Advertisement

Creole's food does not look anywhere near this fresh! so how can you defend it! next time I will take pictures of how bad the food is there to compare FACT with stories of how great it was (PURE FICTION);).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

for those on the "he's not a shill" side, I've got to think if he's not then he has one hell of a vendetta against creole

Creole's food does not look anywhere near this fresh! so how can you defend it! next time I will take pictures of how bad the food is there to compare FACT with stories of how great it was (PURE FICTION);).
    Why would you go again, you already said once you wouldnt go a second time, now you are gonna go a 3rd time? Still didnt complain in person either i guess as you never answered the question? Food must be good if you are going a 3rd time then.:rolleyes:

No sorry wont be going third time and hav no issues just speak my mind, I went a second time to give it another try benifit of the doubt and I have spoken again my true feelings, which is what this website is built for isnt it? If the same people are going to defend it so greatly why should no one be able to tell the truth? Clearly the pictures show what I mean dont they, if I have a strong opinion about food especially when paying for it then excuse me. Im sure people will see the difference between what it should be like and understand what I am talking about.

Why would you go again, you already said once you wouldnt go a second time, now you are gonna go a 3rd time? Still didnt complain in person either i guess as you never answered the question? Food must be good if you are going a 3rd time then.:rolleyes:
    And actually I did complain and was appologised too but I still had to pay for it all, wouldnt you be pissed at that too? I mean arnt you supposed to get something off or the meal redone? or maybee a free glass of wine or a beer. It was busy but that is not an excuse really because most places are!

It was busy

Looks like your one-person campaign isn't working so whiterhino. Must try harder!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

whiterhino, I'm banning you from posting in this thread.
    You have made your point and now just keep repeating it and dragging this thread down.
    If you post again in this thread I will ban you from the Galway forum.

When we complained got one meal free- the one missing the prawns and also one bottle of wine complimentary... Nice manager on the night- one of either would have sufficed

ArtyC wrote: »
    When we complained got one meal free- the one missing the prawns and also one bottle of wine complimentary... Nice manager on the night- one of either would have sufficed
    Ya but given the venomous reviews given by the reviewer above id imagine their complaints were a lot worse than an average Joe and thus maybe they didnt feel like being complimentary towards that customer.

Ya but given the venomous reviews given by the reviewer above id imagine their complaints were a lot worse than an average Joe and thus maybe they didnt feel like being complimentary towards that customer.

I get that/ just want to make sure it doesn't impact on people's decision to go; here's hoping they up their game and we'll get rave reviews soon :)

• Advertisement

ArtyC wrote: »
    I get that/ just want to make sure it doesn't impact on people's decision to go; here's hoping they up their game and we'll get rave reviews soon :)
    Hope so, we definitely want to try it sometime.

We should have a 'Boards Eats' there lol.
    If somebody jumps on the table and starts complaining before they have even tasted the food then we know who our troll/reverse shill is.
    Still not been there but I did have an amazing Vegetarian Gumbo (I think) a few years ago in Canada so I'm hoping they do something similar in Creole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

ever hear of "the boy, he doth protest too much"

Whiterhino is very very bitter.

by the way, once our meal was delayed and we were given a glass of wine each complimentary.

Actually I was wondering if anyone else had the "cajun fries"?

When I asked what maked them cajun I was told that there was cajun seasoning on them.

What came out were luke warm chips that hadn't even been seasoned with salt. Did anyone else have the chips? Did you get seasoning on yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Are they not Creole Chips as in chips that are named after the restaurant?

They could be alright. Why not just call them chips though if they're just normal chips?

Just wondering if it was just a mistake for our order of if the waitress incorrectly told us that they had creole or cajun style seasonings on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I agree with you. We actually thought the same. It was confusing. Very strange that the waitress told you that though. Don't know how someone could make a mistake like that. Seems a bit stupid.

One of our party asked the waitress what was creole about the chips. She promptly took them and came back with a sprinkling of paprika on them so I don't know what their doing there

I agree with you. We actually thought the same. It was confusing. Very strange that the waitress told you that though. Don't know how someone could make a mistake like that. Seems a bit stupid.

Yeah it is silly, shows that some of the serving staff don't even have a basic knowledge of whats on the menu. What annoyed me about it was that a few of the party i was with would have ordered a baked potato if they knew it was just basic chips.

In hindsight its probably a good thing, I got the baked potato and it was hard as a rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Are the Creole chips not the ones made from the Sweet Potato like Veg ?
    I got those the first night I went and they were yummy. Didn't see them on the menu second time around though. I must go back for another sampling to see if the good food is still being served :D

Advertisement