Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creole Restaurant in Dominick Street (Beside Cava)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Are the Creole chips not the ones made from the Sweet Potato like Veg ?
    I got those the first night I went and they were yummy. Didn't see them on the menu second time around though. I must go back for another sampling to see if the good food is still being served :D

Nope, just regular frozen chips with no seasoning of any sort on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

my experience is that they are made from sweet potatoes and they are gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 solid oak

now a great range of restaurants in the area, cava, rouge (and petit rouge) and now creole, all good reastaurants at reasonable prices. its great to have such variety

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

and Aniar?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

my experience is that they are made from sweet potatoes and they are gorgeous.

Yep, they had sweet potato fries as well as Creole fries on the menu, the latter being just regular frozen chips, as I mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Zaph wrote: »
    Yep, they had sweet potato fries as well as Creole fries on the menu, the latter being just regular frozen chips, as I mentioned above.

Yup.

Menu lists "Creole Chips" for €2.50 and "sweet potato fries" for €2.95.

oh, never even noticed the ordinary fries - never had the ordinary chips as in "creole chips". Always went for the beautiful sweet potato fries. With such an amazing variety of eats there I don't think I would bother with the creole fries, (as in Mcdonalds chips, or as in mcdonaghs chips, or as in vinnies chips). too boring.

Next time go for the sweet potato, if you want to be "adventurous" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

oh, never even noticed the ordinary fries - never had the ordinary chips as in "creole chips". Always went for the beautiful sweet potato fries. With such an amazing variety of eats there I don't think I would bother with the creole fries, (as in Mcdonalds chips, or as in mcdonaghs chips, or as in vinnies chips). too boring.

Next time go for the sweet potato, if you want to be "adventurous" :D

You get either "creole" chips or a baked potato with every main that doesn't have rice.

Chewabacca wrote: »
    You get either "creole" chips or a baked potato with every main that doesn't have rice.

I would always go for the baked potato - healthier, - I wouldn't usually go for ordinary chips - so thats probably why I didn't take notice of them on the menu.

btw the sweet potato "shavings" that they decorate plates with are fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Still not been there but I did have an amazing Vegetarian Gumbo (I think) a few years ago in Canada so I'm hoping they do something similar in Creole.

I'd really recommend ordering something else if you are going to go there as the gumbo I got there was pretty awful. I've never had an authentic gumbo but I'd imagine it tastes nothing like what I was served in Creole. It was a prawn version I think, in a bland gloopy sauce which had a consistency that hinted at being thickened with cornflour. It tasted of nothing really. Just a heads up, maybe go for a steak or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,931 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I don't think that would be the preferred replacement for a Vegetarian Gumbo @Cathal01. Any more appropriate suggestions are welcome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Courisity got the better of me and the fact that i like creole food made me wander into creoles.

2 adults 2 teenagers . started with the wings and the hush puppies, the wings were lovely, tender and tasty. the hush puppies were bland and tasteless.

My wife had the creole chicken, wasnt impressed with the wooden dish that it was served on and wasnt impressed with the chicken.

I had the blackened catfish with dirty rice, the fish itself was lovely, the rice was very tasty but had a crust of hardened rice on the outside as if it was prepared earlier and kept hot in the oven.

The kids had the ribs and shrimp combo, the shrimp were described as ok but the ribs were very tough and seniuey, pretty poor tbh.

we shared a mud pie and the kids had the oreos. mud pie was bland and boring,the kids loved the oreos.

Overall an ok meal, but we wont be back, strange really as a friend was in it recently and said that they had a cracking meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

For those wishing to try it with less financial risk, there is a half price deal here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I went to Creole today for lunch only to find out it only opens at 5. I was sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

It is on their website in fairness.
    That said, I would think they are missing out on the lunch trade.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Not cajun food, but there's a new stand in the market selling Caribbean food (Jerk chicken, Caribbean fried rice) on the weekend.

It's absolutely delicious, I had Jaloffi (sp?) rice and Caribbean fried rice with prawns. Super tasty if anyone likes that kind of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If it's Caribbean Kitchen I know the owner. I've only had the rice, it's nice.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

biko wrote: »
    If it's Caribbean Kitchen I know the owner. I've only had the rice, it's nice.

That's the one, it was really tasty, the husband ended up eating most of it so I only got half a portion. :) Very reasonably priced too.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭satcie101

That's the one, it was really tasty, the husband ended up eating most of it so I only got half a portion. :) Very reasonably priced too.

I was in the market Sunday too and saw it for the first time. I had the jellof rice. So yummy :)

Definitely nice to see something different in the market!

maybe someone who has eaten there might put up a new topic to let people know - some people may not see the posts on the new place if they don't have an interest in creole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

we are just back from a top meal there, I'd def go back, really good food. I had steak and OH had ribs. YUM. Ignore the nay-sayers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Yea, finally made it in there duiring the week. Nice buzz in there.
    Boring me had the steak and wings....Had sweet potato fries, which were nice for a change....
    I liked it. Not knock your socks off or anything but nice. Might go back sometime but would be in no rush.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Was there tonight, finally.

Now I am going to preface my review by saying I worked as a professional chef for 6 years and have travelled extensively around the south of the US so my expectations on anywhere calling itself "bbq" are pretty ****ing high.

I ordered the Ribs with "house potatoes", also comes with a small portion of "baked beans" and a half a corn on the cob. I also ordered a side of corn bread.

The good:
    The corn bread was pretty decent.

The service was good too, the two girls front of house did a great job.

The bad:
    The "house potatoes" was just a baked potato, and worse than that, it was under cooked.

The "bakes beans", well, I was expecting southern style backed beans you'd get from a good bbq place.
    What I got was what tasted like a can of heinze baked beans with bbq sauce and a few bacon bits mixed through it. Not offensive in taste, but nothing like any baked beans I've had from BBQ joints in the us (and I've eaten some of the best BBQ in the world).

The Ribs were, well, ****e. Ribs aren't hard to do right, there is only one rule, low and slow.
    The ribs I had were extremely bland (besides the bbq sauce, which was just stupidly sweet) and it felt like they had just been boiled for 45 minutes and then thrown in an oven to glaze them, they weren't dry but they were super tough and bland. Ribs are no mystery, yo cook then for 6 hours at a low temp in an oven (or smoker) and you have a tender ribs. these were not the worst ribs ever, but I was really disappointed.

All in all, quantity over quality, they could do with investing in a smoker as whatever system they are currently using is not acceptable, at all.

creole has just introduced a bbq board from 5 - 7 p.m. Sunday to Thursday

Slow roasted bbp pulled pork
    chargrilled irish bbq chicken breast
    half rack bbq pork ribs
    corn on the cob
    chips
    bottle of beer

all for 14.95

good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I actually got a PM from the guys at Creole and thanked me for starting the thread so they are aware of it ...hopefully they will take on board some of the suggestions....(And give me a free Dinner :D)

i wish the put back the main course shrimp course - they now have coconut shrimp instead. I went there recently and had the coconut shrimp - it was nice but not a patch on the simple bbq shrimp,which were beautiful. Four of us went in looking for this shrimp - and were so disappointed.

so if Creole IS reading this - please put the more simple bbq shrimp back on as a main course.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Did you ask them if they could make the dish regardless? simple enough dish to do on the hop i think? and a good show of customer service.

no because it was my first time trying the coconut shrimp and I wanted to give them a go - I ate them all, but preferred the regular shrimp dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭squonk

Do you need to book for Creole or are you generally OK walking in? Was thinking of trying the place out as I'm down that side of town tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

squonk wrote: »
    Do you need to book for Creole or are you generally OK walking in? Was thinking of trying the place out as I'm down that side of town tomorrow night.

Id say ook on a saturday night it seems to get busy

Advertisement