Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creole Restaurant in Dominick Street (Beside Cava)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 whiterhino

While I am probably better at cooking than some chefs in this city I wouldn work as one and have no life especially in a place such as creole well unless I owned it or something maybee then we would see different opinion on the matter lol because if my restaurant was producing food like that id make Gordon Ramsey look like a girl. I find it hard to beleive that everything on the menu is great and perfect as I would not say this about any where! Some things I never liked in Cava but I stand by the fact that it is far superior in every aspect! why would you serve a sirloin steak on a chopping board with knife marks all over it from previous customers where bacteria could be lurking and multiplying YUK. I know the ingredients are simple as they come but im sure you could arrange them on a plate and make it look alot better and be more hygenic. I love the fact that I can pour out my heart to the public ad givemy opinion on the matter, well done boards.ie. Facebook will fall lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I too hate the whole bread/chopping board for serving meat thing.

Which is annoying as Massimo do it.

Which if funny because as much as you like Cava, JP is the executive chef of both Cava and Massimo so he's just as guilty of the same crime you just had a little rant about.

Cava also do the equally annoying thing of servind dishes on pieces of black slate.

Bothers the **** out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

whiterhino wrote: »
    While I am probably better at cooking than some chefs in this city I wouldn work as one and have no life especially in a place such as creole well unless I owned it or something maybee then we would see different opinion on the matter lol because if my restaurant was producing food like that id make Gordon Ramsey look like a girl. I find it hard to beleive that everything on the menu is great and perfect as I would not say this about any where! Some things I never liked in Cava but I stand by the fact that it is far superior in every aspect! why would you serve a sirloin steak on a chopping board with knife marks all over it from previous customers where bacteria could be lurking and multiplying YUK. I know the ingredients are simple as they come but im sure you could arrange them on a plate and make it look alot better and be more hygenic. I love the fact that I can pour out my heart to the public ad givemy opinion on the matter, well done boards.ie. Facebook will fall lol
    Jees i think we get the message!! How many times do you need to say it and keep going on with the negativity. We all accept you dont like it, you dont need to post every day to say it.

I need to post when someone talks about what i am saying! Food on boards is gross I have never eaten in massimo but would kindly ask for a plate. Slate is not pourous and therefore is washed alot easier as nothing soaks into it. A chopping board is pourous! Why would you start slating owners of restaurants and bringing up those who are related to others this is odd dont you think????? Im talking about Creole and then someone starts slating Cava this is also odd lol I only suggested this to someone who asked earlier in the thread about what would I recomend. lol abrakababra is harly somewhere that you would be moaning about the quality of food seen as like stated it is used to settle the stomach on the way home from a mad one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I really like the idea of food on a board. In fact, I was pi$$ed off that I didn't get steak in Creole because mine came in a boring bowl :D

• Advertisement

okay so people now adays want to start eating their food off of things other than plates, back to cave man style suppose thats a cool new trend lol have to get the wife onto that one lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,931 ✭✭✭thesandeman

A certain 'Dr' from the past comes to mind when I read some of the stuff here.
    On another note the reviewer in the Advertiser changed over a month ago. Some young wan is doin it now. Is it not obvious from the pics of the food?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

I ate in Creole last night with my gf. On arrival the manager told us that there were no slow and roasted ribs left. We decided to order a starter of chicken wings. The waitress took the order but came back saying there were no wings left, we then said we'd try the mussels on the specials menu but they were also all gone. This was 8 o clock so I was a bit surprised they ran out of all these. In the end we decided to share the mushroom poppers, very bland.

For the main I had 1/2 JDs baby back ribs and chargrilled chicken which came with half a corn on the cob, a chickpea and kidney bean and ham stew and a portion of fries. Huge portions, we didnt need the stater at all. My gf had the shrimp skewer and chargrilled chicken and it came with the mini bean stew and corn on the cob too. She went for sweet potato fries(very,very nice)

I found the food nice. Bring your appetites, very big portions. The ribs and shrimp were both a bit tough. The bottle of Dungarvan beer was 5.95 which is very expensive but its tasty stuff. We were told there would be jazz at 9pm but we were there until 10pm and it hadnt started, not a big deal. I also found the restaurant to be very warm.

It was my last night in Galway after living here for the last year and it was a nice way to sign off. Overall, I found the food good, not great.

Goodbye Galway, until we meet again!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,931 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Honest review K.C Fair Play. Crazy price for the beer though. Cava used to let us bring it in from next door with no surcharge/corkage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

also, as I said I had planned to go to Cava tonight but have changed my mind now and am heading to Creole.

I will definitely give an UNBIASED opinion afterwards, and will honestly let you know if it is as good, better, or worse than my last visit there.

Cava's loss. :D

How did it go for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Mactard wrote: »
    How did it go for you?

Well going by my experience in cava a while ago, if he had gone there he would probably still be waiting for the food now.

There is a reason they went from no1 in Galway on trip advisor to hanging out in the 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Mactard wrote: »
    How did it go for you?

went there Friday - sat outside as it was a fab night. Owner came out, chatted to us for a few minutes - lit all the candles for us and told us that if it did rain he would pull out the awnings for us no problem.

There were four of us this time - the order was

1 jumbulaya
    1 mississippi shrimp skewers
    1 combo shrimp and chicken
    1 catfish

The jumbulay was very rich and took about an hour to eat - however the person scraped the plate and said it was great and did not want to leave any behind.

Shrimp Skewers were to die for - it came with baked potato and corn (instead of the dirty rice). sublime

Combo shrimp and chicken came on a board (no big deal - lots of places use boards) and again every bit was eaten - this came with baked potota, corn, and sweet potato chips on top, with a little side dish of some sort of bean mixture. All eaten.

The catfish and dirty rice was mostly eaten - catfish was gobbled up - some of the rice left over as it" was so filling".

Another great experience in Creole - the seafood is to die for.

Two bottles great red wine to wash it down.

Thankfully it didn't rain while we were there as all the other outside tables had filled up by the time we left - it was the overflow of the inside part being full to capacity.

Again, another lovely night at Creole - will definitely be back.

p.s. I notice whither has now gone to complaining about the "boards" that food is swerved on - what next, the chandeliers - I think thats the only thing they haven't commented on so far - but I have to thank Whither - we had planned on cava but so delighted we went to Creole instead.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Why do I get the feeling you said you would have liked it no matter what?

I mean finished plates are not a measure of food quality, more of the hunger of the patrons.:)

Pity no one ordered the ribs. Would have loved to have heard the verbal contortions required to lavish praise on them, best I've heard on this thread so far was 'there was a lot of them'.

Not that I'm questioning the honesty of your review, I just feel like maybe you don't have as high standards as the rest of us.:p

Why do I get the feeling you said you would have liked it no matter what?

I mean finished plates are not a measure of food quality, more of the hunger of the patrons.:)

Pity no one ordered the ribs. Would have loved to have heard the verbal contortions required to lavish praise on them, best I've heard on this thread so far was 'there was a lot of them'.

Not that I'm questioning the honesty of your review, I just feel like maybe you don't have as high standards as the rest of us.:p

nice try el dangeroso - Im sure you as well as others on here know that if I don't like something i will say it. I have been to creole before and loved it, so why should I say I don't like something if I actually DO like it.

Nobody at my table ordered ribs - however I would say on the way out that there would have been 5 tables with ribs on them. didn't see anyone complaining.

And finished plates in my circles WOULD be a sign of good quality - we are not in the habit of eating Sh*te food just to finish the plate.

Don't worry about my standards either El Danger - I know good food when I see it. I also know sour grapes when I see them, and I try to avoid at all costs. Maybe you prefer a burger in a bowl from eddie rockets, but thats your choice LOL

Creole does it for me - its great

Nice try at what:confused:

I'm just saying considering it would have been a massive climbdown for you to say that the food isn't great, that I don't think you went into that dinner unbiased. I know if I ever had the misfortune to eat there again I would definitely be biased against it.

Nice try at what:confused:

I'm just saying considering it would have been a massive climbdown for you to say that the food isn't great, that I don't think you went into that dinner unbiased. I know if I ever had the misfortune to eat there again I would definitely be biased against it.

you seem to be adamant to tell me how I feel about the food. I'll say it again, the food is great - the prawns are to die for and I will definitely be returning.
    Would you like a polygraph with that?? :D you stick to eddie rockets and Ill dine at creole okay. Don't get upset about it. :o

you seem to be adamant to tell me how I feel about the food. I'll say it again, the food is great - the prawns are to die for and I will definitely be returning.
    Would you like a polygraph with that?? :D you stick to eddie rockets and Ill dine at creole okay. Don't get upset about it. :o

Nah, I'm just saying that you wouldn't be the most unbiased reviewer. Don't take it personal.

At least Eddie Rockets is honest about having little culinary credentials. :)

Nah, I'm just saying that you wouldn't be the most unbiased reviewer. Don't take it personal.

At least Eddie Rockets is honest about having little culinary credentials. :)

:D funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Lads, can't we just settle all of this over a Kebab House? :pac:

sure I'm as happy as anything. I don't have anything to settle. :p

• Advertisement

Sher it's all subjective, I know that. But I just honestly thought I'd found the worst restaurant in Galway when I went there and am frankly astonished to think my experience was so unique. This seems to be a real 'marmite' place.

I would go back and review it again, but I really don't think I had a one off experience. Other negative reviews have echoed what I've said.

I'm kinda wondering now is this the reason we have so many bad restaurants in Galway? That most of the populace like that sort of food?

Sher it's all subjective, I know that. But I just honestly thought I'd found the worst restaurant in Galway when I went there and am frankly astonished to think my experience was so unique. This seems to be a real 'marmite' place.

I would go back and review it again, but I really don't think I had a one off experience. Other negative reviews have echoed what I've said.

I'm kinda wondering now is this the reason we have so many bad restaurants in Galway? That most of the populace like that sort of food?

for goodness sake el dangeroso - give it a rest. we get the picture - you didn't like it - you prefer edit rockets. Good for you.

Some of us think its great - good for us.

we don't have bad restaurants in Galway - we actually have very good restaurants in Galway. As I say, stick to your eddie rockets and let others comment on their choices.

for goodness sake el dangeroso - give it a rest. we get the picture - you didn't like it - you prefer edit rockets. Good for you.

Some of us think its great - good for us.

we don't have bad restaurants in Galway - we actually have very good restaurants in Galway. As I say, stick to your eddie rockets and let others comment on their choices.

Where did I say I prefer Eddie Rockets? :confused:

We really have quite a poor standard of restaurants in Galway compared to other cities. They are overpriced for what they are. I blame the tourist trade that isn't dependant on repeat custom. There's about three restaurants in the city that provide value for money which is quite bad in a recession.

Maybe if the tone of people defending this restuarant wasn't so boorish, I wouldn't feel the need to provide a counterpoint. But it's important not to be shouted down by bullies I feel.

Where did I say I prefer Eddie Rockets? :confused:

We really have quite a poor standard of restaurants in Galway compared to other cities. They are overpriced for what they are. I blame the tourist trade that isn't dependant on repeat custom. There's about three restaurants in the city that provide value for money which is quite bad in a recession.

Maybe if the tone of people defending this restuarant wasn't so boorish, I wouldn't feel the need to provide a counterpoint. But it's important not to be shouted down by bullies I feel.

so you are calling people bullies now because they don't agree with you! :roll eyes:

that says it all really.

so you are calling people bullies now because they don't agree with you! :roll eyes:

that says it all really.

Not in disagreeing with me, but in the tone used, it's quite aggressive.

I'll leave it there since you seem to be getting quite agitated.

Not in disagreeing with me, but in the tone used, it's quite aggressive.

I'll leave it there since you seem to be getting quite agitated.

great, leave it there then and give it a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Give it a rest both of you, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Ok so as i mentioned earlier in this forum i was going back to creole last weekend. Wasn't as good as my first experience but i would stil go back as the cons were minor IMO. I'll start with the service side :

We started at 8pm and all their Beef Ribs were gone so i was disappointed with this, as i was actually going to change from steak after tasting them last time. Very early to be out of a dish. Got the chicken wings, they were very good but we never brought down finger bowls this time. Wasn't a big deal but still. Forgot to bring out one starter and we were all waiting to start so had to call someone and ask. It was ready just never brought down. But starters were all fine no complaints.

I had the steak again. Good size perfectly cooked and the sides were good as well. A couple had the Gumbo special on the menu and they both loved it. A few had the baby back ribs, they were also very big and they all seamed happy, although they couldn't finish them. Misses had one of the specials can't remember the name now but it was beef piled on top of a mountain of mash and some sauce. She was disappointed in it. Desserts were fine but again its a chocolate muffin not missisippis mud pie which is nice but its not as nice as a proper mud pie. Price fine, Drinks fine service Ok food in gereral very good.

Would i go back based on my two experiences - Ya felt like i got value for my money and i was happy with my feed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Went back to Creole for the second time last week. Tried the Catfish this time - delicious! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Went there last night after reading the positive reviews here. After my experience I definitely would not recommend it to anyone.

Before I start I'd like to say that this kind of hearty food is what I love most. After seeing the menu I was sure that I would love it.

Me and my family arrived at 8. We had placed our orders just before 8.15. Amazingly the starters didn't arrive until 8.45. Having worked in kitchens for years now I know that none of the dishes should take more then 5 minutes to cook, meaning that they all should have been out in less than 20 minutes seeing as it wasn't overly busy. Two of us had the clam chowder. It was nice but my portion was much smaller then the other portion, even though they both came out of the same pot. Also, as far as I could tell there were no clams in the chowder, only mussels. On top of this the chowder was incredibly over seasoned.

We finished the starters by 9 and were then waiting until 9.25 for our mains to arrive. This is madness considering half of our mains were slow cooked and were more then likely ready to be served already. One person ordered the blackened catfish. It was so over seasoned and over spiced that it was completely inedible. I like my food spicy and saltier then most and not even I could eat it. The replacement didnt arrive until everyone else had finished their mains and there were no apologies for this.
    I ordered a baked potato with my main and they brought chips instead. When I said that I ordered a potato they brought out an incredibly under-cooked potato.

I had to leave at this stage because I had made plans, delayed them and was still late. 1 hour and 45 minutes minutes after arriving I had barely finished my main, and none of the people I was with are slow eaters.

I've worked in the industry for 3 years now and knew that none of this was acceptable.

Unfortunately, I couldn't complain. A family member who lives abroad was over visiting and we were out for dinner because of this. Every time I said something in complaint I noticed that it brought down the tempo and was ruining the dinner. I did not complain because it seems that nobody in this country complains while out and I knew that if i complained about the entire meal being sub par I'd have to argue with staff and ask for a manager, which i don't enjoy doing.

I'm not overly fussy about these sort of things but when the bill is around €180 I feel that the standard of the whole night was just not good enough. All this on a Wednesday night too.

I would not recommend this place to anyone after my experience.

Advertisement