Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

lostatsea wrote: »
    The course of closest approach method
    Thats so much shorter, thanks :) where did you get that from ? I don't think that is in Fundamental Applied Maths book.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

aarond280 wrote: »
    Thats so much shorter, thanks :) where did you get that from ? I don't think that is in Fundamental Applied Maths book.

You're welcome. My teacher in school - we don't use the book. He teaches applied maths in some grind schools in Dublin. We have special techniques for everything.

You're welcome. My teacher in school - we don't use the book. He teaches applied maths in some grind schools in Dublin. We have special techniques for everything.
    Oh that's brilliant any other tips ? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

If you guys have extra time in the exam after doing 6 questions are you gonna look over the 6 or is anyone going to attempt a 7th?

Do 7/8 depending on what they're like, then go over or go over then do another something like that, you ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

aarond280 wrote: »
    Do 7/8 depending on what they're like, then go over or go over then do another something like that, you ?

7 or 8? Jaysus, fair play. I reckon I'll have about 15 minutes to spare, if everything goes to plan.

Well it depends on how everything goes that could be the 6 but if I've everything is going good I should have some time to spare, hopefully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 charlie1653

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Here it is:

http://moodle.cbskilkenny.ie/

There is Physics too but I've never used it so can't comment.
    ---

Her writing will take a bit of getting used to but it's fine to be honest.

Just log in as a guest when asked.

Just want to say a very big thanks! that material is outstanding! :)

althoughh... there is no project maths material up

hey guys if anyone has maths mocks or knows where to get them could they pm me please? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

btw the solutions on CBS Kilkenny Moodle are for the birds

This is untrue and I advise anyone reading to not take this comment as a fair representation.

This is actually the first time I've seen someone give negative feedback. Out of around 30 people perhaps. It has received praise on this site and in Kilkenny.

It has helped me immensely and has helped others to the same extent. In fact, I practically live on them. There is no where else that I can get full worked out solutions to exam papers and the Donnelly book itself.

I hope you don't feel superior due to your teacher's special techniques. As handy as they are, don't look down on other teacher's works as this teacher spent at least 100 hours of her times setting up Moodle and it has led to many many successful Applied Maths and Maths results in our school in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Just want to say a very big thanks! that material is outstanding! :)

No problems! :)

On CBS Kilkenny Moodle, you will find solutions to every single question in Project Maths Text and Tests or whatever it's called. If you have that book.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

Could someone help me with a problem i'm having trouble with? Its question 9 on page 84 of Fundamental Applied maths 2nd edition.I got the second part of the question but i'm clueless on how to prove M is less than or equal to 6. Any help would be appreciated.

was 2000 an easy paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Undeadfred wrote: »
    was 2000 an easy paper?

I don't know about 2000, the only year that I know was extremely easy was 2010, the A rate went mental, caused all sorts of problems by all accounts, the marking scheme is consequently very unfair, I think in question 4 you had to find the acceleration of the wedge and there was 15 marks going for it, you had to get it out perfectly or you got 0, normally you'd only lose 3 marks or so!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Guys, can someone explain the exam paper to me?

I'm only just finished fifth year and so far I've only covered Uniform Acceleration (and Vectors but that's not a question per se)

I'm looking at which chapters I should do over the summer and I'm a bit confused. Like Chapter 6 in Murphy's new book: Work, Power, Energy and Momentum. Which question does this come up in?

For Question 3, I guess I have to do Chapters 3 and 10. Are there any other questions that are across two chapters?

Also are there any questions that are easier to cover by yourself? I don't have a teacher so I'd like to avoid any that would need a lot of help. Question 9 looks like one of those..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Guys, can someone explain the exam paper to me?

I'm only just finished fifth year and so far I've only covered Uniform Acceleration (and Vectors but that's not a question per se)

I'm looking at which chapters I should do over the summer and I'm a bit confused. Like Chapter 6 in Murphy's new book: Work, Power, Energy and Momentum. Which question does this come up in?

For Question 3, I guess I have to do Chapters 3 and 10. Are there any other questions that are across two chapters?

Also are there any questions that are easier to cover by yourself? I don't have a teacher so I'd like to avoid any that would need a lot of help. Question 9 looks like one of those..

I just finished fifth year and we have the entire paper covered . Well the questions we are going to do anyways.

Momentum , collisions and energy are always question 5
    Q3 is either horizontal of inclined plane projectiles.

In my opinion , don't do circular motion on simple harmonic motion . Do question 1,2,3,4,5,8,9 in my opinion. Also differentiation.

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I just finished fifth year and we have the entire paper covered . Well the questions we are going to do anyways.

That's ridiculous

That's ridiculous

A lot of people do the course in a year, it's comparatively short and with so much choice it's very manageable!

A lot of people do the course in a year, it's comparatively short and with so much choice it's very manageable!

Its probably just my teacher then. He's extremely slow. We only just finished the course after the mocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I'm only confident on Q10 at the moment, I can make a decent attempt at 1 & 4, I did a bit of projectiles and relative acc too but not enough to cover me yet. Since I only started a few months ago, I'd be happy with 50-60%+ at this stage, I'm not deluding myself and shooting for the A1. Should I just cover the topics I've started/done really well, or is there another topic I could prepare on such short notice? I have a five day break in the middle of my exams but I was hoping to devote a lot of that to chemistry and physics.

I wish I'd known enough about this subject to start it in fifth year because I absolutely love it, but I just didn't have enough time to give it the attention it deserves. :(

I'm only confident on Q10 at the moment, I can make a decent attempt at 1 & 4, I did a bit of projectiles and relative acc too but not enough to cover me yet. Since I only started a few months ago, I'd be happy with 50-60%+ at this stage, I'm not deluding myself and shooting for the A1. Should I just cover the topics I've started/done really well, or is there another topic I could prepare on such short notice? I have a five day break in the middle of my exams but I was hoping to devote a lot of that to chemistry and physics.

I wish I'd known enough about this subject to start it in fifth year because I absolutely love it, but I just didn't have enough time to give it the attention it deserves. :(

Obviously its a personal choice but if I were you, I'd probably cut my losses and.just concentrate on Chemistry and Physics, that is if you're likely to get a better result in those two, like you could try make an attempt at another Applied Maths topic but do you think it'll make a massive differerence to your grade? Obviously at the end of the day its your choice but I think I'd spend whatever time I have concentrating on the subjects you can get the most points in cause at the end of the day that's what the Leaving Cert is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Obviously its a personal choice but if I were you, I'd probably cut my losses and.just concentrate on Chemistry and Physics, that is if you're likely to get a better result in those two, like you could try make an attempt at another Applied Maths topic but do you think it'll make a massive differerence to your grade? Obviously at the end of the day its your choice but I think I'd spend whatever time I have concentrating on the subjects you can get the most points in cause at the end of the day that's what the Leaving Cert is all about.

Yeah that's what I'm planning to do at this stage. I just don't want to fail this subject, and my goal now is to pass it comfortably. It is more a personal goal more so than anything else, since unless the paper is miraculously easy I won't be counting it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

Yeah that's what I'm planning to do at this stage. I just don't want to fail this subject, and my goal now is to pass it comfortably. It is more a personal goal more so than anything else, since unless the paper is miraculously easy I won't be counting it. :P

I just want to pass it to so that I can just tell myself that I passed it. Even though I started in 5th year, I'm terrible at the subject. I love it but it just requires so much time. =P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Lads where else could our teacher be getting the questions from other than the book or the papers. The ones she give us we barely ever can do and we panic but then we see the papers and they aren't that bad at all?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Aspiring wrote: »
    Lads where else could our teacher be getting the questions from other than the book or the papers.

Could be from one of the other books, which one do you have?

There's Murphy's two books, Kevin Conliffe's book and I think there's another one but I've never seen it in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Could be from one of the other books, which one do you have?

There's Murphy's two books, Kevin Conliffe's book and I think there's another one but I've never seen it in the shops.

Fundamental Applied Maths the new edition I think. Anywhere online I can get those kind of questions she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

That's ridiculous
    Explain ?
    We have 5 classes of ap maths a week. I do it instead of sitting In religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Aspiring wrote: »
    Lads where else could our teacher be getting the questions from other than the book or the papers. The ones she give us we barely ever can do and we panic but then we see the papers and they aren't that bad at all?

are there any page numbers on the sheet or hand drawn diagrams?

• Advertisement

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Explain ?
    We have 5 classes of ap maths a week. I do it instead of sitting In religion.

so do i, still didnt finish the course until after the mocks

Advertisement