Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

cmcm9513 wrote: »
    Fundamental applied mathematics by Oliver Murphy first edition. 10 chapters haha . Everything except statics hydrostatics and rigid body rotation :/ we have everything done except them three, shm and differential equations..

Ah I'm using the 2nd edition
    I just started teaching myself(in 5th year) and I have most of Linear accelerated motion covered
    Can someone tell me what the shorter questions are? Like the ones I can cover in one midterm or something. I'm not asking which one is easy :o

How does Project Maths affect Applied Mathematics? Like Vectors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cmcm9513

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

Ah I'm using the 2nd edition
    I just started teaching myself(in 5th year) and I have most of Linear accelerated motion covered
    Can someone tell me what the shorter questions are? Like the ones I can cover in one midterm or something. I'm not asking which one is easy :o

How does Project Maths affect Applied Mathematics? Like Vectors etc.
    Relative velocity by far the fastest covered and it can be easy a lot of the time ....as far as I know the only question affected is q10 the scraped integration from the question completely from what if heard.. ... if there were no vectors there would be no subject :L

cmcm9513 wrote: »
    Relative velocity by far the fastest covered and it can be easy a lot of the time ....as far as I know the only question affected is q10 the scraped integration from the question completely from what if heard.. ... if there were no vectors there would be no subject :L
    Yeah there was a circular about integration in Q10
    So I have to learn vectors by myself eh? Hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

I'm interested in taking up applied maths.
    How does it compare to the regular Higher level maths course?
    Whats the best book, and what are the easiest/ fastest questions to cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cmcm9513

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    I'm interested in taking up applied maths.
    How does it compare to the regular Higher level maths course?
    Whats the best book, and what are the easiest/ fastest questions to cover?
    Its completely different to the maths course far more similar to the physics mechanism section just way harder .. makes mechanics in physics look like a joke if you do HL applied math... fundamental applied mathematics by Oliver Murphy I'm pretty sure its the only book ... most popular questions are 1,2,3,4,5 & 10

• Advertisement

There are actually a few books out there. Fundamental Applied Mathematics would be the most common one, Kenvin Clonliffe's book is the second popular one

I'm thinking of starting a new thread with information and resources for Applied Maths in OP, anyone wanna help?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

I did Applied Maths for the LC. I would highly recommend doing it. Study questions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 10. They are the easiest ones to do. Eircom Study Hub has good lectures on it, the book that has a picture of the Luas Bridge in Dundrum is also very good. If you do just one question from the papers a night, you will be sorted. Just keep doing questions, that is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Just to throw it out there there's also Applied Mathematic by Domminick Donnelly, I think it's fair good in fairness!

Integration is still there for the time being, however integrating by substitution is out.

I haven't decided what questions I'll do yet. I'm getting slightly worried as I did barely anything last year with applied Maths, but on a plus when I went back to Relative Velocity there recently it made more sense, everything else BETTER be like that when I go back over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Breloom

We've covered Hydrostatics, Differential Equations, Connected Particles, Projectiles and Collisions sofar.. I'm finding it fairly manageable.

We mostly use papers, we never use the book.

Breloom wrote: »
    We've covered Hydrostatics, Differential Equations, Connected Particles, Projectiles and Collisions sofar.. I'm finding it fairly manageable.

What year are you in?

How many questions will you all be doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Breloom wrote: »

Did ye do Projectiles without doing Accelerated linear motion first ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rugrats

Should someone be worrying if they have only done mechanics and half of differentials two months into 6th year?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

can anyone tell me what to do in these : At 15.00 hours an aeroplane is 120km due east of a helicopter. The plane is flying in a direction west 30' south at a constant speed of 800km/h. The Helicopter has a max speed of 40km/h.

Find (a) the course for the closest aproach.
    (b) the time that this event occurs.

Also another question:
    A man swims at 4ms^-1 in still water. He swims across a river of width 120 metres. The river flows with a constant speed of 5ms^-1 parallel to the straight banks.
    He wishes to cross by the shortest path.
    Find a the direction he should take
    b the time taken to cross the river by the shortest path.

Thanks

Just another question if two objects are to intercept what relationship is there ?

I posted thest up one Boards a couple of months ago amd go no reply so if anyone can tell me that would be great thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

aarond280 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me what to do in these : At 15.00 hours an aeroplane is 120km due east of a helicopter. The plane is flying in a direction west 30' south at a constant speed of 800km/h. The Helicopter has a max speed of 40km/h.

Also another question:
    A man swims at 4ms^-1 in still water. He swims across a river of width 120 metres. The river flows with a constant speed of 5ms^-1 parallel to the straight banks.

Thanks

Just another question if two objects are to intercept what relationship is there ?

I posted thest up one Boards a couple of months ago amd go no reply so if anyone can tell me that would be great thanks :D
    what book and what chapter / page/question is it

There not from a book its from last years mock, Debs I think, and if also you could answer this that would be great

Also another question:

Thanks

I'll get around to doing them later, I'm a bit busy right now, but if two objects are to collide the i direction should be parallel to the line between to two objects and the j direction must be equal, I know that's hard to understand without a diagram of some sort but I'll try explain better when I get to a proper computer later.

I'll get around to doing them later, I'm a bit busy right now, but if two objects are to collide the i direction should be parallel to the line between to two objects and the j direction must be equal, I know that's hard to understand without a diagram of some sort but I'll try explain better when I get to a proper computer later.

Oh that would be brilliant Thank you :D !!

Anyone able to do them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 charlie1653

Does anyone one have solutions to the questions on the original book - fundamental applied mathematics by oliver Murphy ( brown cover )

Im stuck on 2 or 3 questions on ALM ! :)
    Would appreciate it guys .

Does anyone one have solutions to the questions on the original book - fundamental applied mathematics by oliver Murphy ( brown cover )

Im stuck on 2 or 3 questions on ALM ! :)
    Would appreciate it guys .

Which questions? I have all of A and B and majority of questions in C done out

• Advertisement

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

Which questions? I have all of A and B and majority of questions in C done out

I've got most done too :) but em , question 20 part ii
    Q22
    And 23 maybe ? :D
    Ex 2 C that is.

I've got most done too :) but em , question 20 part ii
    Q22
    And 23 maybe ? :D
    Ex 2 C that is.

How ironic, 20 ii is where I stopped :p

There should really be solutions available for students, especially when a majority of the students teach themselves Applied Maths. I e-mailed Oliver Murphy, he replied telling me he's aware and he'll talk to folens blah blah blah and asked me if I wanted to buy solutions to the exam papers for a fiver or something :pac:

Did he say there's a problem with Folens dealing out the solutions or what ? My teacher has solutions but they don't look great , I'll ask him for them Monday , although that's our test day :L how recently did you ask Oliver ??
    Yes he said that he sells all the exam papers for a tenner or something ? the solutions to the exam papers would be very good ! :o take him up on that I'd say ? I might email him .

Did he say there's a problem with Folens dealing out the solutions or what ? My teacher has solutions but they don't look great , I'll ask him for them Monday , although that's our test day :L how recently did you ask Oliver ??
    Yes he said that he sells all the exam papers for a tenner or something ? the solutions to the exam papers would be very good ! :o take him up on that I'd say ? I might email him .
    Afaik the solutions to the book are available online on folens' website but you have to be a teacher to log in(need roll no to create account, no real way to bypass it).

He said there are downsides to letting students access it but in my opinion that's not a reason to ignore the issue. It was only 3 or 4 weeks ago.
    Solutions to the papers seem widely available on the internet than the book, if solutions can't be found there's always Marking Schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

Can someone help me.I just bought fundamental applied maths 2nd edition today.which questions should I do? And how many 6, 7 or 8? Any help would be appreciated.
    Im gonna try and teach myself

WoolyAbyss wrote: »
    Can someone help me.I just bought fundamental applied maths 2nd edition today.which questions should I do? And how many 6, 7 or 8? Any help would be appreciated.
    Im gonna try and teach myself
    What year are you in ? If you are in 5th, you should probably do at least 7 to cover you in case one of the questions you cover is horrible on the day, but if you have time, maybe an 8th question wouldn't be any harm.

What year are you in ? If you are in 5th, you should probably do at least 7 to cover you in case one of the questions you cover is horrible on the day, but if you have time, maybe an 8th question wouldn't be any harm.
    Alright thanks im in fifth year.any idea on which questions I should do? I know most people do 1-5 and 10

WoolyAbyss wrote: »
    Alright thanks im in fifth year.any idea on which questions I should do? I know most people do 1-5 and 10

If you 'get' Hydrostatics Q9, it tends to be quite a doable easy question! Having said that from what I hear the book you have doesn't do hydrostatics very well, (I don't use that one myself but that is what I've been told about it!) but if you 'get it' it's an extremely easy question.

Also Q6 Circle and Simple Harmonic motion isn't the worst to have in backup either. I personally don't think it's as easy as Hydrostatics but it's a nice backup question all the same.

But certainly if you're aiming for high grades you need a backup question cause there's always going to be a bizarre quite tough question, like for example Q1 for the last few years has had a really tough part b, I suppose this is intentional because everyone does Q1 and they want to keep the marks down!

If you 'get' Hydrostatics Q9, it tends to be quite a doable easy question! Having said that from what I hear the book you have doesn't do hydrostatics very well, (I don't use that one myself but that is what I've been told about it!) but if you 'get it' it's an extremely easy question.

Also Q6 Circle and Simple Harmonic motion isn't the worst to have in backup either. I personally don't think it's as easy as Hydrostatics but it's a nice backup question all the same.

But certainly if you're aiming for high grades you need a backup question cause there's always going to be a bizarre quite tough question, like for example Q1 for the last few years has had a really tough part b, I suppose this is intentional because everyone does Q1 and they want to keep the marks down!
    thanks ill give hydrostatics ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Q10 with differentiation/integration is a good question as its the same every year. Were doing it at the moment 6th year ( hard for me as a haven't done integration in maths yet but...)

My maths teacher who done applied maths himself has advised me to do it as my first question.

Advertisement