Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

Can someone help me on a question im stuck on. its p63 Q3 of fundamental applied maths by oliver murphy SECOND EDITION. Any help would be appreciated. Its a relative velocity question where you have use the T-method.

If somebody is willing to help and doesn't have the book I would be willing to type it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

WoolyAbyss wrote: »
    Can someone help me on a question im stuck on. its p63 Q3 of fundamental applied maths by oliver murphy SECOND EDITION. Any help would be appreciated. Its a relative velocity question where you have use the T-method.

If somebody is willing to help and doesn't have the book I would be willing to type it out.
    as requested

247212.png

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

bpb101 wrote: »
    as requested

247212.png

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

WoolyAbyss wrote: »
    Thanks
    mea culpa the answer was not finish . sorry.

247305.png

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

I wonder if anyone could help me with this Relative Velocity question from the Examcraft Mock.I have the marking scheme but they do it a different way to how we were thought. If anyone knows how to do it by setting up two equations for the velocity of the wind to the ground ie Vwg = Vwb + Vbg for the two scenarios id really appreciate it :)

A boy is walking due North along a straight road and the wind appears to be blowing South-West. When he turns right at a crossroads the wind appears to be blowing South 60 degrees West. If the boy walks at a constant 5 m/s and the junction is right-angled, find the speed and direction of the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

How do you deduce that 2tanBtan(A-B) = 1 from tanBcos(A-B) -(2tan^2)sin(A-B) = sin(A-B) ? I'm a bit lost,please help.

paddyzk wrote: »
    How do you deduce that 2tanBtan(A-B) = 1 from tanBcos(A-B) -(2tan^2)sin(A-B) = sin(A-B) ? I'm a bit lost,please help.

Is this from a particular past question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Anyone know where to start with this question?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

First find the buoyancy and weight when it floats, resolve these to find the height of the cylinder submerged. When it is submerged a distance x find b and w again, when you find b and w let f=ma, f= w-b=ma, resolve this and show a is proportional to -x

Thanks.

• Advertisement

decisions wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Did it work out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EllieM95

Hey I was wondering if any of you have the questions for the mock examcraft 2013 paper?

CBS Kilkenny Moodle, the Applied maths page is open to guests, I'd try that if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

decisions wrote: »
    CBS Kilkenny Moodle, the Applied maths page is open to guests, I'd try that if I were you.

Do you go to that school? Whoever the teacher is there is seriously dedicated, it's such a good resource, I'll definitely be using this in the future!

Also is this moodle craic common in most schools? In our school only one teacher puts work on the internet and that's only cause he's the school's webmaster also!

Not my school, I found a post on here about it while looking for a marking scheme of a mock about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Anyone else feeling overly cocky about the exam considering how easy they mark it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Brendan1234

Does anybody know if writing the proofs for question 8 exactly as they are in the marking scheme will get you full marks? Do you need to write any sentences or are there any extra lines? Don't want to lose silly marks when I know the proofs :P thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Do you go to that school? Whoever the teacher is there is seriously dedicated, it's such a good resource, I'll definitely be using this in the future!

Also is this moodle craic common in most schools? In our school only one teacher puts work on the internet and that's only cause he's the school's webmaster also!

Hi, I know the question wasn't directed at me but I go to CBS Kilkenny and I have said teacher, Ms Maguire for both Maths and Applied Maths and she is the best teacher anyone could ask for.

She also has all the solutions for the 3 Project Maths Text and Tests book on moodle. Her dedication is outstanding and people like her should be rewarded but sadly, they aren't.

She is also a Physics teacher and honestly you have to be genuinely intelligent to teach those 3 subjects and she is.

---

To tell a little interesting story, there's one chap in our Applied Maths class who really is a genius. Parents are doctors and he spends all day doing advanced college material at home.

If she is doing out a question in Applied Maths class and realises that she may have made a blunder; she has no problems asking that guy if she has made a mistake which some teachers would be too proud to do.

I advise anybody in Ireland to use her moodle page.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I advise anybody in Ireland to use her moodle page.

Could you please give me a link? Does it contain materials for Applied Maths/Physics too or just Maths?

Also, regarding the T&T book solutions, there's supposed to be a solution book out next year as far as I know. One of the writers used to teach in my school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Here it is:

http://moodle.cbskilkenny.ie/

There is Physics too but I've never used it so can't comment.
    ---

Her writing will take a bit of getting used to but it's fine to be honest.

Just log in as a guest when asked.

• Advertisement

Does anybody know if writing the proofs for question 8 exactly as they are in the marking scheme will get you full marks? Do you need to write any sentences or are there any extra lines? Don't want to lose silly marks when I know the proofs :P thanks

Yes full marks for writing exactly as the marking scheme, my teacher corrects the papers

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Brendan1234

Yes full marks for writing exactly as the marking scheme, my teacher corrects the papers

Thanks, great to get that cleared up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

Hi,

I'm a maths teacher & I am also qualified to teach applied maths. I am interested in starting to teach this as an extra subject out of school.

Just wondering, for those of you who do it this way, I have a few questions:
    - how much do you pay (if any)? If you paid, did you pay weekly, or by the term?
    - how many people are in your class?
    - was there a big drop out rate?
    - how many classes did you do per week, and how long were they?
    - would one class per week for two years be enough to cover the course, (assuming about 5 dedicated higher level students)?

I'm not interested in fleecing students, but I need to cover my costs and make it worth my time, as I would have a lot of preparation to do for it.

Many thanks.

Can anyone do question 2.b 1999, without differentiation ? Is it possible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

(i) Given |vA|, A can steer in all directions on a circle. The closest approach course is one in which the relative velocity vAB is tangential to this circle: cos theta = |vA|/|vB| = 48/60 = 4/5
    (ii) Minimum distance = 30sin (theta) = 30(3/5) = 18 km

Done in 15 seconds in my head.

btw the solutions on CBS Kilkenny Moodle are for the birds

why is the relative velocity a tangent to the circle ? What do you mean for the birds ?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Kingkumar

just wondering if u need to learn the proof of how centripetal acceleration is = mw^2r for the exam. i havent seen it come up in the papers but wondering can they throw it in?

The course of closest approach method

• Advertisement

Kingkumar wrote: »
    just wondering if u need to learn the proof of how centripetal acceleration is = mw^2r for the exam. i havent seen it come up in the papers but wondering can they throw it in?

It will not be asked.

Advertisement