Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Leaving Cert Applied Maths Thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 carlos123455

bpb101 wrote: »
    Q10 with differentiation/integration is a good question as its the same every year. Were doing it at the moment 6th year ( hard for me as a haven't done integration in maths yet but...)

My maths teacher who done applied maths himself has advised me to do it as my first question.

Have you seen the Q10 in the 2012 paper? I think it was a lot different to the past ones it involved much more thought. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Have you seen the Q10 in the 2012 paper? I think it was a lot different to the past ones it involved much more thought. :confused:

I dunno though, it was still the same process as before.

That's the way Q10 is going, now that they can't ask integration by substitution they've severely narrowed the questions they can ask, expect more questions along those line is what my teacher has been telling me all year!

Fair enough. Our teacher is a bit odd, very old-fashioned. Did anyone do the applied maths mock yet? Mine is on Wednesday and I'm not really looking forward to it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

Fair enough. Our teacher is a bit odd, very old-fashioned. Did anyone do the applied maths mock yet? Mine is on Wednesday and I'm not really looking forward to it :/
    Don't worry about the grade you get in it, its just an indeication on how much work you still have to do. And the mocks for applied maths can be pretty hard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

I dunno though, it was still the same process as before.

That's the way Q10 is going, now that they can't ask integration by substitution they've severely narrowed the questions they can ask, expect more questions along those line is what my teacher has been telling me all year!
    what
    why not???

EDIT - By god he right , were still doing it
    http://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0059_2011.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

If you go in to the applied maths teachers association website, in the newsletters or whatever they are called there are examples of new kinds of q's we could get. I would post links but I'm on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

Can anybody help me with a question im stuck on?
    The driver of a car traveling at 20m/s sees a second car 120m in front, traveling in the same direction at a uniform speed of 8m/s
    (i)what is the least uniform retardation that must be applied to the faster car so as to avoid a collision?
    (ii)if the actual retardation is 1 m/s^2 calculate:
    (a)the time interval in seconds for the faster car to reach a point 66m behind the slower car
    (b)the shortest distance between the cars

I got part (i) the answer is 3/5 m/s^2
    but part (ii) Im struggling with.
    i got the answer for (a) by solving a quadratic equation but the other root is positive so I don't know how to eliminate it.I also don't see how there could be another root so i think my method is wrong for it.

WoolyAbyss wrote: »
    Can anybody help me with a question im stuck on?
    The driver of a car traveling at 20m/s sees a second car 120m in front, traveling in the same direction at a uniform speed of 8m/s
    (i)what is the least uniform retardation that must be applied to the faster car so as to avoid a collision?
    (ii)if the actual retardation is 1 m/s^2 calculate:
    (a)the time interval in seconds for the faster car to reach a point 66m behind the slower car
    (b)the shortest distance between the cars

I got part (i) the answer is 3/5 m/s^2
    but part (ii) Im struggling with.
    i got the answer for (a) by solving a quadratic equation but the other root is positive so I don't know how to eliminate it.I also don't see how there could be another root so i think my method is wrong for it.

book?
    chapter?
    question number?

is the time for part (a) 28.635 and the shortest distance 48 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

aarond280 wrote: »
    is the time for part (a) 28.635 and the shortest distance 48 ?

Sorry I completely forgot I posted this since I managed to get it literally 2 minutes after I made my previous post. Part (a) was equal to 6 and (b) the shortest distance was 48m.
    So you got part (b) right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Hey guys, just wondering does anyone have any tips for Q7 statics, can't seem to get my head around it, please and thanks

How did he get on in the mock? I found it impossible, got 27% :/

Anyone have q1 on the deb mock completly out?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IloveConverse

Hi guys. Preparing for an Applied Maths quiz at the minute with my team. This is a question from last year's Regional Final. We can't solve it. It'd be so helpful if someone could point out how to do it.

The question is:
    The velocities of a helicopter and light aircraft are (15i+8j)m/s and (-3i+9j)m/s respectively.
    What is the speed of the helicopter relative to the light aircraft? Give the answer correct to two places of decimals.

Thanks so much!

Vha = Vh-Va
    =(15+3)i+(8-9)j
    =18i-j
    |Vha|=(18^2+1)^(1/2)
    =18.03

Hi guys. Preparing for an Applied Maths quiz at the minute with my team. This is a question from last year's Regional Final. We can't solve it. It'd be so helpful if someone could point out how to do it.

The question is:
    The velocities of a helicopter and light aircraft are (15i+8j)m/s and (-3i+9j)m/s respectively.
    What is the speed of the helicopter relative to the light aircraft? Give the answer correct to two places of decimals.

Thanks so much!
    Vha = Vh -Va
    (15I +8 j )- (-3i +9j)

18i -1j

Squ root of [18^2 -1^2]

squ root of [324+ 1]

Squ root of 325= 18.0277

Ans 18.03
    What do you mean app maths quiz
    Also sorry I could add squ root signs on phone

bpb101 wrote: »
    squ root of [324-1]
    Should it not be (324+1)^(1/2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭TehFionnster

decisions wrote: »
    Anyone have q1 on the deb mock completly out?

Gimme the question and I'll tell you if it's the mock I had.. :P

aarond280 wrote: »
    Should it not be (324+1)^(1/2)

Yea just notice that thanks for correcting us

I didnt see your post . I was a few minutes typing it on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IloveConverse

Thanks so much for sorting that out! The Applied Maths quiz is run by the A.M. teachers' Association, previous questions are at this link http://www.iamta.ie/events/team-quiz.html

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for sorting that out! The Applied Maths quiz is run by the A.M. teachers' Association, previous questions are at this link http://www.iamta.ie/events/team-quiz.html

when do you have to have the cash in for to precipitate?

what do you win anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

The question is:

Thanks so much!
    I'm thinking:

Vha (Helicopter relative to aircraft)= (15i+8j)-(-3i+9j)
    = 18i-j

Magnitude= sqrt(18^2 + 1^2)
    =sprt(324+1)
    =sqrt325
    =18.03

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

My school offered App Maths to us going into 5th year, as they were getting in a teacher who did it. Only 3 of us did it. They then proceeded to drop him after 5th year, leaving us with no teacher. They get a past student to come in, at most once a week. He's good, but really can't come in often enough, as he's still in college. The school won't do anything, and I'm pretty sure it would be pretty easy to get a teacher.
    Still got 70% in mocks though. Pisses me off though, cause I could probably do really well with a full time teacher...

Lots of people do applied maths without a teacher, if you got 70% in the mocks than you clearly have a good grasp of the subject. All you have to do is practice questions, do all the papers (thephysicsteacher has as far back as 76?) you are lucky to have someone who can correct the Q's for you, every time you see him have questions lined up for him, so you can figure out where your mistakes are quick enough. Take advantage of it. You also have us on boards, we are regularly helping each other with questions.

If you really want to do well, not having a teacher should not hold you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

I don't understand how anyone can finish Q4 in time ? I can't do the question without drawing the diagrams.My teacher basically told us to 'make a good attempt' yeah thanks (y).

Personally I have no trouble with timing in applied maths. Probably because My teacher times everything and has since 4th year.

With q4 most if the marks are going for getting the equations and not a whole lot of marks for slolving the simultaneous equations which often takes ages. Really as long as your forces and method are correct you should be picking up the marks.

And re the diagrams, you get marks for them so why would you leave them out? They should take no more than 30 sec to quickly sketch it out.

decisions wrote: »
    Personally I have no trouble with timing in applied maths. Probably because My teacher times everything and has since 4th year.

With q4 most if the marks are going for getting the equations and not a whole lot of marks for slolving the simultaneous equations which often takes ages. Really as long as your forces and method are correct you should be picking up the marks.

And re the diagrams, you get marks for them so why would you leave them out? They should take no more than 30 sec to quickly sketch it out.

yea the equatios are about 50% of the marks, draw big diagrams imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Gah! I'm finding Applied Maths so disheartening at the moment, I just can't get many answers out completely, I know that only a tiny amount of the marks actually go for the right answer, but psychologically it doesn't make much difference to me if it's only a tiny slip of a catastrophic mistake, it's still wrong :( I just have this tiny voice in my head which says that I'm just not cut out for Applied Maths :(

I know the feeling, but just before Christmas it all just fell into place.

You will be fine, my book is in about 7 different pieces because its been flung around my room in frustration so many times. It does all come together in the end.

Keep the faith :)

• Advertisement

Gah! I'm finding Applied Maths so disheartening at the moment, I just can't get many answers out completely, I know that only a tiny amount of the marks actually go for the right answer, but psychologically it doesn't make much difference to me if it's only a tiny slip of a catastrophic mistake, it's still wrong :( I just have this tiny voice in my head which says that I'm just not cut out for Applied Maths :(

i know what you mean. Beat into exam question time after time on 1 section at a time. this guy is very good at explaining it
    150 videos on applied maths
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL63819923917D99C0

Advertisement