Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due October 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lac21

Hope your little one is better, KG.
    Great you got night out. Totally agree with you on the dignity thing. We spent the two really warm days at the beach which was fab but I felt so uncomfortable!!
    Been having pain in my right shoulder blade last few days. Started off quite mild but it changed to rather sore stabbing pain yesterday. Not sure if it's pregnancy related. Anyone else experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Little one was grand, just car sick as it was a particularly warm heavy morning and those are proving to be her 'perfect storm' for travel sickness. Soon as she was cleaned off and in fresh clothes she was like an energiser bunny anxious to get down to the beach :)

As for shoulder pain, I've never had anything like that during pregnancy (at least something that wasnt related to sleeping awkward or similiar). Hope it clears up soon, is it a joint in there? Like would a hot water bottle help?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Lac21 wrote: »
    Been having pain in my right shoulder blade last few days. Started off quite mild but it changed to rather sore stabbing pain yesterday. Not sure if it's pregnancy related. Anyone else experience this?
    My wife's been having shoulder/arm pains on and off since about the 3rd month. Varies from a sharp stabbing pain in the shoulder blade, to numbness and/or pain down the whole arm. Doctor in the hospital was useless, had no idea what it was, but the GP assured her that it was a trapped/pinched nerve somewhere, possibly even the baby sitting against something.
    It's not constant, just comes and goes but she's recently found that swimming is great for relieving it.

Thanks guys.
    Tried a warm hot water bottle last night. It did help. Pain wasn't too bad yesterday though probably because I had chance to rest. Been busy this morning so far and I can feel pain getting sharper already.
    Have GP apt later in the week so will see if he has any insight. I know from my scan last week, that baby is breech. Head up under my ribs so maybe that is having knock on affect. I was quite surprised to learn that baby is breech. Apparently about 20% of babies are at 28 weeks. Consultant unconcerned. Loads of time to turn so we'll see!! Was watching 'From here to Maternity' last night. Mother with breech baby opted for c section. She didn't want doctor to try moving the baby into head down position homself. I think I would feel the same although would be open to opinions. A friend of mine had her baby turned by doctor without any difficulty last year but the risk of baby distress would worry me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭ariana`

Thanks guys.
    Was watching 'From here to Maternity' last night. Mother with breech baby opted for c section. She didn't want doctor to try moving the baby into head down position homself. I think I would feel the same although would be open to opinions. A friend of mine had her baby turned by doctor without any difficulty last year but the risk of baby distress would worry me.

I got the impression it was her husband who didn't want the baby turned, he seemed delighted with the c-section option. Hopefully your baby will turn, there is plenty of time and if not there are some natural tips on a website called spinningbabies.com or some people recommend reflexology to turn baby. My baby is head down at 28wks but the mw said that there is plenty of room for it to move yet.

• Advertisement

Thanks ariana. Will definitely check out that website if things don't change. Hopefully they will. I've done reflexology for sinus problems which worked really well :-)

I must watch back programme this evening. Was watching it in a noisy room!! I cant remember the husband. I do remember one husband in particular doing a lot of talking but not sure if he was hers.

I must watch back programme this evening. Was watching it in a noisy room!! I cant remember the husband. I do remember one husband in particular doing a lot of talking but not sure if he was hers.

I'd say it was hers! I didn't like him at all but that's probably not fair cos it's just a half-hr programme and it's editted but he seemed to be a bit 'all about himself and how labour effects him' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

How are all the October bumps doing?? :)

Good Messy, how are you doing?

My little fella has chicken pox so I've been up the last few nights. He's completely covered in them. Doing ok during the day but scratching like mad at night. I had them when I was 8 so just assuming that I don't have to inform GP. A couple of my friends are in the early stages of pregnancy thou, so I had to let them know.

I suppose being up at night is good practise for a few weeks time!! I had forgotten what it was like :-)

How are all the October bumps doing?? :)

Feel like a tank but doing ok otherwise :rolleyes:

Lac21 poor you being up with chicken pox. Hope he gets over it quickly.

Any of you started drinking raspberry leaf tea yet? I can't remember when i started it last time :confused:

• Advertisement

Chicken pox nearly cleared, Ariana. Back to full nights sleep!! I'm happy he has them out of the way before school starts.

I didn't drink the raspberry leaf tea last time. What are the benefits exactly? I know someone who started drinking one cup a day from week 32 onwards.

I've started having the tightening across my bump. I don't know if they are officially braxton hicks yet. I'm just 31 weeks now. They're very mild but I still feel them the odd time in the evenings.

Just bought my first set of newborn vests and babygros. Need to start thinking about bag for hospital etc. Last time I had a list to tick off. I was so organised well in advance. Think I'll be more relaxed this time.........

Chicken pox nearly cleared, Ariana. Back to full nights sleep!! I'm happy he has them out of the way before school starts.

I didn't drink the raspberry leaf tea last time. What are the benefits exactly? I know someone who started drinking one cup a day from week 32 onwards.

I've started having the tightening across my bump. I don't know if they are officially braxton hicks yet. I'm just 31 weeks now. They're very mild but I still feel them the odd time in the evenings.

Just bought my first set of newborn vests and babygros. Need to start thinking about bag for hospital etc. Last time I had a list to tick off. I was so organised well in advance. Think I'll be more relaxed this time.........

Lac think i'm your twin. Was so organised last time, nothing done this time. 31wks as well. Haven't bought a thing for baby except 1 pack of nappies :rolleyes: But bought some fabric softener at the weekend so i'll start washing babygros/vests soon.

I'm getting BHs for past 2-3 wks. Apparently it doesn't mean anything just the body prepping up, i could still go days over :eek:

RLT is supposed to make contractions more efficient, doesn't bring them on or anything, but tones the uterus so when labour starts it **should** be quicker. I used it last time, just can't remember when or how much.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

Aw Lac your poor wee man! Chickenpox are so horrible but at least it'll be done with now.

Ariana I'm with you on the whole feeling like a tank haha :) No matter how many times people call me tidy I feel bloody huge!!
    I've not been drinking raspberry leaf tea at all. Haven't even looked into it haha :)

My bump has been feeling tight at times but it feels more like it's because of the way baby is stretching and moving rather than possible BH but having never had them before I wouldn't know how to tell haha :)
    I have been getting some lower back pain and sharp stabby pains down below on and off though just the last few days. Not sure it means anything but it's annoying haha.

Hey all,

I've been having BHs for a few weeks now - though himself got confused late one night on our first pregnancy and called them Branston Pickles, so ever since then we just call them Pickles. Between those and the baby stretching its a right painful time, especially at night. 34wks this weekend, and starting to really really feel it now. I've been carrying 'tidy/neat' etc this time and my previous two I was much larger (though no1 was a 9lber so that explains how huge I was with her!) I was beginning to get nervous about the baby's weight gain (possible side effect of BP issues) so during my visit to the hospital last week I had a wee scan done and the Dr measured baby precisely for me and reassured me that the size and weight are bang on target, this one won't likely be as big as no1 which frankly is great news, I was sure I heard my vagina sigh in relief from the midst of my maternity jeans ;)

Our no1 started school today, no2 started pre-school and hubby is making jokes about early labour starting today so we can do the hat trick of all three having a BIG day of first achievements. Yeah, I wasn't laughing so much at that! With the BP issues and history of pre-eclampsia on 1 & 2 I'll be happy to get another 3wks under our belt, going for Daycare on Monday in the Rotunda so hopefully all goes well and I'll begin counting the time down till I can get a sweep done while watching the BP like a hawk. Mind you, I haven't even tidied the nursery room or taken the crib/pram etc down from the attic yet, also single purchase of vest sleep suits and a new breast pump is all I've done so far :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cfit

Hi all you October Bumps! Haven't been on here in a while busy trying to sort work out before i take my maternity, the joys of being self employed :) Fingers crossed all goes swimmingly when i'm not around!!!

Glad to see you are all doing well minus sleep deprivation, sore shoulders, chicken pox etc heehee but the mood is still good.... I've been experiencing a little bit of the insomnia but nothing too serious, lower back pain every now and again and lately due to the extra weight shin splints!!!! Ouch! Cant bring the dog for long walks anymore either due to the need to pee and the pressure :)

Getting really excited and nervous and every other emotion now just over 6 weeks to go and with this being my first..... ahhhhhhhhhhh...... can't wait to have my baby in my arms!

xxx

Hi all,

Time seems to be going by really quickly. Will have to start washing the vests and babygros soon!!

I'm starting to think my bump has dropped. Looks much lower down now and I can breathe more easily :-)
    Next scan on Tuesday. Hope baba has turned. I know it's still early days at 32 weeks and baby could turn later, but I'm looking forward to see if anything has changed, in the last 4 weeks.

How did your two get on at school/ playschool KG? My fella starting junior infants on Monday. I'm dreading it. He has absolutely NO interest. All he says is that he can't go because he's 'too busy'. He's likely to kick up a fuss I'd imagine. Then again he was the same last year with playschool. Once he settled he loved it and didn't want to see his Nana coming to collect him!

@ Lac

Thankfully they both were very happy :) No1 did a summer camp in the gaelscoil so she was familiar with the classroom and some of the routine there, and she had two friends from her naoinra there too, so she took the whole thing in her stride. She was wrecked afterwards and I expect that'll continue for a few weeks, though tbh that suits me at this stage as she won't be a ball of energy all afternoon :p

No2 progressed into the naoinra, but as she'd been coming and going on the journey there for the last year she was also familiar with the environment and is already very familiar with and fond of the muinteoir, she was a bit awkward in the preparation to go, but was delighted soon as she arrived and wanted nothing more but to send me and Daddy away so she could have teachers attention to discuss her favourite topic of Gruffalos :p

We've ended up with no1 in school for the morning and no2 in preschool from noon for 3 hrs, so they were desperate to see each other afterwards, spent the rest of the day playing together even ending up watching a movie before bed and holding hands (as opposed to the usual territorial one on each sofa!) They are glued to each other since first thing this morning too and I haven't had to referee a single wrestling session between them so far - here's hoping I haven't jinxed it now - but it really seems this might all work out even better than I hoped :) Hopefully a few weeks now we'll bed down this new routine nicely in time for no3's arrival!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your little man's first day on Monday, lets us know how he gets on (and you too, I swear I was battle the hormones to not cry esp as the girls didn't so much as pout!).

Hi everyone!
    Hope all October bumps are doing well??

Scan today showed baby has turned and baby's head has begun to drop into pelvis. I'm relieved to hear that. Doctor said baby would be unlikely to turn again since its a second baby. So hopefully!!

Little man got on well at school considering. He was very quiet and tearful but didn't resist going in. He said he didn't like the school part but they have a soccer class,after school on friday, and he's mad to join it. I'm hoping it will encourage him more. He's football crazy. He wanted to know if there is a school in Old Trafford that he could go to instead!! :-)

Too cute Lac :) Its great he has such a strong interest in soccer to tempt him to school club.

My little one is still head down too which is a relief, though the bum wiggles that stretch out the top of the bump get very sore at times, as does the twisting about. Any time I'm holding my friends baby (he's 11 wks now) baby gets all wound up in there and is always squirming about rubbing that bum up against him. Perhaps its the heat coming of the little lad that makes mine so curious and active, though we Mammies joke about that its all down to eagerness to get to know each other as we hope these pair will be close friends like both our daughters who we also overlapped in pregnancy timing :)

I'm all full of aches and loads of Braxton Hicks this morning, both lower back pain and bump pain and waves of BHs that have been going on since I woke up. Better not be anything happening as its only 34wks and I'm not ready yet! I got no1 off to school and then my Mum took no2 for the morning so I'm in bed with the laptop hoping rest will ease the pains and the BHs will taper off, going to give it another hour and try a bath if there's no improvement - what I wouldn't give to have himself home from work now to give me a nice back rub!

Did you get a massage KGlady??? Hope those BH aren't too bad. Been feeling them myself lately wasn't sure what was happening in the beginning :D good to know everything getting ready. Only 6 weeks to go feel at this point that I'll never be ready on time.

Hope all you mummy,s with kids at school are enjoying the couple of quite hours.... Won't be long how till that time is filled in...

• Advertisement

Hi everyone, hope all is well?
    In hospital tonight. Had car accident on the way to work this morning. We were stationary in traffic and got rear ended by another car. Such a shock!! Luckily I had left a bit of a space so we didn't reach the car in front.

Little guy in the back. I was in a complete state and so worried about him. He's fine though. So grateful now we have him in a decent seat. Hubby was with us too in the passenger seat which was lucky so he rang Gardai etc. All happened so quickly.

Got to maternity. Cannot praise them enough. Listened to heart beat. Got me set up on a trace. I knew I felt quite a bit of tightening but I thought braxton hicks and wasn't too worried. They became very strong though. When consultant came in he referred to them as contractions. I nearly passed out. So I've had the steroid injection to strengthen baby's lungs. He said " we hope you don't deliver but it could happen'.

Have not had any since about two o'clock so fingers crossed. All traces fine since. Blood test also showed no trace of baby's cells in my blood so placenta is intact.

Hopefully all is ok now. Repeat tests in the morning and then home. That's my plan.
    I know I should be asleep but I can't. Head is spinning. Finding it therapeutic to write it down :-)

Oh LAC hope everything has gone ok since last nite such a shock for you. Thank god everyone ok and hope little bubba stays put for another while.... Thinking of you..

OH my goodness Lac, I'm so upset reading your update. Thats my nightmare scenario, I'm constantly nervous about being in a car accident when pregnant, I always carry my hospital card in my bag and have hosp details, EDD and hospital number in a note pinned on the home screen of my phone because I'm so afraid of it.

I'm SO so relieved to hear none of you are badly hurt and that the contractions have eased off. Be sure and give us an update. Are they going to keep you in for 3-4 days to do the full dose of steroids for baby's lungs? I had them on my last pregnancy when Pre-eclampsia issues were making it look like she'd be born before 30wks, they are so fecking sore, its worse than getting a kick in the arse :s I'm no soft touch at all and used to all manner of injections etc, but the steroid ones always had me reduced to tears. I've so much sympathy for you having them in whats already a traumatic and difficult situation.

Is your little man holding up alright after a trauma and now being away from you with the hosp stay?

Sending you big bumpy eHugs from afar. Keep us posted here.

KG

Thanks for the E support girls, much appreciated.

Quick update: scan showed blood flow from placenta to baby is normal. No rupturing thank god.
    All traces perfect. No sign of contractions or bh's.
    They only gave me two steroid shots in total. Think they are making me hyper. I cannot sleep :-(
    Hope I am out of the woods and can go home tomorrow.
    As an aside, they discovered my platelet count is a bit low at 135. According to my dubious Internet research, low levels can lead to problems with blood clotting at birth. So I have to be monitored for the rest of pregnancy for that.

My little guy came in yesterday, all excited. Jumped into the bed and one of the
    Midwives put a plaster on his elbow. ( we told him I was in because I had hurt my elbow) Different story when he woke at 6 this morning. He was v upset and disorientated. Even vomited. Didn't sleep after that. Sounds cruel but my husband brought him to school. I'm glad he did now. Teacher said he had his best day yet!! Kids are so resilient :-)
    Hope you are all doing well?

@ Lac being back into school probably normalises the day for him, its such a relief that they are so able to bounce back.

Delighted to hear the outlook is so positive for you and baby - I guess in some way its kinda fortunate they picked up on the platelets so that they can be prepared for it when the big day comes. Did they mention to you how your iron count is out of interest? My first was a Dec baby, I was pure mad on eating beef casseroles with mashed spuds and broccoli (real winter comfort food!) and during the last two months hubby was almost sick of coming home from work to it ;) I was told to ease off the iron tablets as my count was very strong on account of so much iron rich food. Anyways I have no idea if it was an effect of going pre-eclamptic or a fecky 21hr labour on a 9lb baby with pretty much every intervention bar the actual blade for the c-section (was in the OR fully prepped and they got her out with forceps on the last contraction before they were making the cut!) but afterwards I haemorrhaged for a long time in the OR and lost a full litre of blood. Every one presumed I would have had a transfusion - even now when my charts are reviewed the Dr/Midwife always asks thinking it was left off the chart by mistake - but my iron count was so very high that I avoided needing it altogether, I was kept in for 5 days but my body was able to regenerate enough because of the iron reserves and all while I was BFing too. Women's bodies really are amazing.

There probably isn't a whole lot you can do actively yourself re the platelet count, but maybe if you are fond of any iron rich foods it might help to eat a bit more than usual so that at least you can feel reassured in yourself that if you do bleed a lot after, you can maybe get through it and still be in decent shape :)

Keep us updated my dear, I've fingers crossed that all continues to hold well for you and baby.

KG

Back home since Friday. So happy to have my bed back and shower!!
    I have to fill in the Cardiff Kick Chart for a couple of days and just rest as much as I can. Sleep finally came yesterday :-)

@KG My iron count is a little on the low side. Going to GP on Thursday for next blood test. Nothing I can do about platelet count but at least I know about it. Can have a plan for the birth in case I need a transfusion.

Scan also showed baby is back in breech position. Consultant reckons that if baby feels fear they can go back to the position they are most comfortable in. So it's back to heartburn etc!!

All of the events of this week have left me a bit tetchy about getting things sorted for the baby. Will definitely be packing the bags soon :) When doctor mentioned contractions on Wednesday, first thing I said to hubby was that I hadn't washed any of the vests/babygros in non bio!!

@Lac Yay for being home! In your own snuggly bed and the privacy of your own bathroom for a shower :) Its probs the biggest relief upon discharge.

I was out buying the non-bio just this morning! I thought I had gotten rid of 99% of my baby stuff and kept only one small box of white vests and baby grows, but it turns out I wasn't as ruthless as I recalled, hubby came across a large box in the attic that I'd packed with vests baby grows little coats and lots of 0-3 mth outfits. Suddenly with the appearance of that big box I'm more sorted than I realised! Got the crib mattress yesterday so in spite of everything being in boxes/attic we're mostly ready.

Himself and his brother are up there now putting up bunks for our older two so I can repatriate the cot bed from no2 for the nursery setup (though we'll have a crib in our room for 6mths or so) I want her to be all settled in the big bed so that she loses all sort of attachment to the cotbed which she has been in as a Jnr bed. Hopefully when she sees it back in the nursery and the bars up on it she'll associate it with baby and not her own snuggly bed :)

35wks for us now, counting down the days to next hosp visit to check engagement and ask how soon we can get sweep, at this stage my nerves are getting strung out always waiting and watching for the pre-eclampsia warning signs :p

Lac how are you since? I hope you're managing to relax a little again after your shock. Did you get the bags packed? I still haven't done it but only 33wks so plenty of time right. I did wash some babygros, vests & cellular blankets. And as i find things i might need i throw them onto a bed in the spare room so it's a good start on the bag i think :)

How're you all feeling? This thread is so quiet compared to the September ladies! I'm feeling really wrecked today and my back is killing me sitting at the desk all day. I'd love to do half-days for the rest of the pg. Another 5 wks of work to go :rolleyes:

KGLady did you have pre-eclmapsia on your last 2? It's great that you've got this far without it kicking in, at least babs has had 35+ wks where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Longfordian in London

Hello All,
    We are 35 weeks this Saturday , over the last two weeks , her bump has grown massively in comparison to previous month or two , she is getting allot of pain around her pelvic bone and sleeping is becoming difficult for her at the moment , Im out in the spare room which makes both our lives allot easier :)
    Have all the gizmo's got and equipment and starting our NCT classes already ! .... wish there was a fast forward button to 20th of Oct !!

• Advertisement

@ariana I am a lot more relaxed now. Had another scan on Tuesday and all looks good. Baby back in head down position.
    Still have not packed the bags though!! Went on a spree yesterday and bought a lot of the essentials. They're all just left on the bed in the spare room. Makes me feel better knowing they are there:-)

My platelet count had dropped a little more. Doctor says the main complication a lower count can cause is that you cannot have an epidural. I'm a bit freaked out about that. I had intended to have it. On my first labour I thought I would forego it but when the time came I gladly accepted it.

Anyway, hopefully it won't come to that. I'm officially off work now. Was supposed to be working another 3 weeks so plenty of time for resting!!

Hope all October mums to be are well?
    This thread is very quiet. Hopefully it's a sign that we'll all have quiet, peaceful and sleep loving babies! :-)

Advertisement