Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due October 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

How are all the October bumps doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lac21

Hi messienessie,
    Doing great today. Had anamoly scan yesterday. All is well. I can't believe how nervous I was beforehand. I think because I had such a rocky start for the first 14 wks, I couldn't fully relax.
    Now I'm determined to start enjoying these few wks!
    How are you doing? And all other October bumps? It seems we are the quietest pregnancy thread on Boards!! :-)
    Anyone got advice for heartburn? I don't recall having it at all last time. I find it's particularly bad after breakfast. All I know is that, according to the old wives tale, it means the baby will have lots of hair!!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Hello October bumps :)

I'm not a very active Boards User but thought I'd say Hi. 14th Oct is our due date, Preg4 but Baby3 for us. We've 2 little girls already one will start School in Sept and the other will do her pre-school year, so its a good time for this little wriggler to make an appearance.

We're due mid-Oct but I'm expecting to go sometime in late Sept, pre-eclampsia on the other two meant I didn't go a full 40wks on either, and have had BP probs from day one on this pregnancy too - booooo. Thankfully this time I've been medicated for the BP from early and its working so well that I've just recently been reverted back to routine maternity care \o/ (for a while I was considering a tent or caravan in the gardens of the Rotunda, I was in there so often!)

I've the Glucose test coming up soon, first time and a bit nervy about it especially as regular lucozade usually makes me puke :( should be interesting! Thanks for the tip to bring something to eat after, I'll be praising you ladies on the day for that one.

@Lac21 I'd crazy bad heartburn on no1 who was born with a massive head of hair, I found certain foods made it worse. I stopped having a glass of OJ with breakfast as it always set me off, tomatoes did too. Milk often helped me or the old style chalky Renee in the early days (the yummy chewy ones were not preg-safe). By the last trimester on both my girls I was like a Galviscon junkie and I hate the stuff, but still I'd have a bottle in every handbag, one in the kitchen, one by the bed and would be slugging it from the bottle :s Not very classy but most of my Mamma friends admit to having been like that at some point! Try cold milk and keep track ofn what you've eaten on the mornings its real bad and try swapping out a different thing each day to see if it helps at all?

I'm doing good, was having really bad pains the end of last week and doc said there was some protein in my urine. Spent most of the weekend in bed and drank bucketloads of water. Feeling less painful today but absolutely shattered! No energy to do anything!

Great to hear your scan went well Lac :) No tips for the heartburn from me, I've been lucky enough to only have the rare occurrance so far!

KGlady good to hear you're bp seems to be under control :) Hope you get the all clear on the glucose test and everything goes smoothly :)

Thanks KG for the tips. I avoided the oj this morning and just drank water instead. I'm completely off tea and normally I drink 2 cups with breakfast. Also bought my bottle of gaviscon, will take it tonight.
    Messness, glad you are feeling better. I had some protein in the first few weeks. I had this horrible draggy pain. Drink as much as you can. Seems to flush it out :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

hello Oct bumbs!

Great to hear so many of you are doing great with only the occasional hiccups. Par for the course eh!!

I have no cure for heartburn, I have never suffered it, ever. And I am so glad I don't have it now either. I feel for you ladies suffering! As for headaches- I have had quite a few of them. I suffer from strong headaches normally but they are more frequent now with the change in horomones. I am not the best at drinking water but have found that a good shower where I scrub my head to gleaming works well for me. Seems to take the edge off the pressure in my brain! :)

I was back for a check up this morning and I still have really low blood pressure. Last time I was back they sent me over to the maternity beacuse of heart palpitations and low BP and put me on anitbiotics for a kidney infection and UTI. Thats all cleared but not the low BP. I feel so drained and tired all the time! But in good spirits which is strange beacuse I just want to sleep all day long :D

Nausea has eased off, thanks for the tips on the icy things! I have had a few ice pops and when I feel the nuasea coming on I go with something very cold or very minty. Seems to passing quicker now! :D So thansk for all the advice.

Anyone else getting nesting feelings at the moment- with the sales on around town I can't help but look at a few bits but sure it's no good to us with our autumn/winter babies! I want to do up the nursery (spare room got a name upgrade!! :D) too... I am pinning ideas like crazy...

I've not really been tempted to buy anything new but I started clearing out presses and wardrobes. It's turned into an obsession. I would never normally be bothered by things like that but now I'm so happy to have loads of black bags to bring to the clothes pick up points.
    I suppose it's all about making space for the new little person :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cfit

Hello Fellow Bumps

How is everyone doing? All good here on my side, just had 24 week doc appointment this morning all looking on track :) Bump getting bigger by the minute or so it seems to me! Lots of kicks and knocks getting stronger by the day, has a routine already, 5am morning 11am, 2-3pm and again at 10-11pm are its must active times!

Hope everyone is doing good, I'm off to a hen party in Sligo tomorrow, i am skipping the activity and have opted to book myself in for a pampering session and then meet the hens after wards :) So looking forward to it...

Good idea cfit :) I'm off to a hen weekend in Carlow next weekend, will need to have a few ideas up my sleeve for keeping myself occupied when the girls are hungover haha :)

Enjoy the hen nights ladies!!

On a more mundane note, I was in Mothercare today. They have really good sale. 50% off maternity underwear and nightwear. Nice material and pretty patterns. Not too matronly looking.
    I was still squashing into my regular underwear and hadn't really thought about it but I stocked up. Got some nice pyjamas as well.
    So much more comfortable now :-)

• Advertisement

Attending a lovely extended family event yesterday and it was so nice to see family from abroad and their kids. It was nice to debut the proper bump among them too. We're 25wks now and I feel massive I keep thinking I'm huge but several times over the course of the day family members we don't see often would overhear a comment or when the breeze caught my maternity dress a particular way they'd exclaim 'OMG are you having another baby?!' and the like. This morning I'm so baffled, either the bump isn't at all as big as I thought, or my family think I'm some manner of strange obese XD I don't know if I should feel happy or bloody offended :p

I know it's a bit of a let down when people don't notice but I think sometimes when people are not in 'baby mode' they simply don't see what's right in front of them.

Plus, I think some women are terrified of commenting just in case they have it wrong. Last year a co worker asked me when I was due. I was mortified esp since we had just started on the road to fertility treatment. I nearly burst into tears. I was a bit bloated but still..... Luckily another co worker who knew my situation made some jokey comment which diffused it. I felt so bad for the other lady though. She has hardly looked at me since and definitely has made no comment on my bump so far. I think lots of people have been caught out making comments about pregnancy so just say nothing just to be on the safe side :-)

Scan yesterday went well All looks good from what the doc could see and he just recommended that baby be monitored after birth to be sure.
    Have to say I didn't like the feel of Holles street one bit! Makes me so much happier to be in WRH haha

24 weeks today!! Time is bloody flying!!

Hope everyone is well!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cfit

Hi all had a great nite at the hen
    my feet were so swollen by the end of the nite! But worth it.

Where are you all buying maternity clothes? I need jeans and a couple of tshirt I'm not having much luck finding decent ones the only maternity shop near me just closed and nearest next or new look to me is enniskillen and they don't have good selection :'(
    I might be in at line on sat do any of you know of anywhere there maybe?

Glad to hear scan went well messienessi and totally agree with time flying 25weeks today eeeeek :D

Kg lady think it's just a matter of people being afraid to say in case they are wrong even to us irs the must obvious of baby bumps ::D

Heya cfit :) God to hear you had a great night at the hen!
    I got my mat jeans in New look. Nice and comfy and not too expensive either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

cfit wrote: »
    Where are you all buying maternity clothes? I need jeans and a couple of tshirt I'm not having much luck finding decent ones the only maternity shop near me just closed and nearest next or new look to me is enniskillen and they don't have good selection :'(

I might be in at line on sat do any of you know of anywhere there maybe?

Try online maybe? I got nice Mamalicious jeans, both E44.95. They are in boutiques & Mothercare stores around the country or you can buy online if you google it, free delivery if you spend E80... I got nice cheap t-shirts in H&M in Athlone.

HTH.

Hey CFit

Have you checked out Next's maternity range online? The will do a delivery for like a fiver, flat rate so you can order a few bits at once. I was in there earlier this week and got some nice leggings and a super little jersey guna that I've had literally everyone complimenting me on yesterday. Their plain tees and vests are a reasonable quality and price too.

Debenhams also do a flat rate delivery on clothes and they often have special offers if you spend more than 50quid its free. My favourite preg-jeans are from their Red Herring range, though I got them on an earlier pregnancy.

I was in mothercare last week and hated their maternity tops, they were all this really thin cotton fabric that if you hold up to the light you see straight through. I know this time of year we dont want to overheat, but honestly I'd be wary of putting them in the washing machine. Overpriced cheap crap :(

Tesco have a small maternity range in the F&F and they will deliver to ireland too, but I've no idea on the delivery charge.

http://www.nextdirect.com/ie/en/shopping/women-maternity/maternity/1
    http://www.clothingattesco.com/lingerie+underwear/maternity+nursing/icat/mat-nursing/
    http://www.debenhams.ie/women/maternity-clothing

Hope everyone is well October bumps??

Would like to get opinions on something.
    We will be moving house soon. All planned before we knew baba was on the way.
    We are doing up new house and still have a bit to do. Should I rush things through and try be in late sept or early oct? I'm due on the 30th. Is that crazy pressure?
    Luckily we are under no pressure to leave our current house. Would cost a bit but we could stay on here and wait until after baby to move. Life will be even busier then.
    How would u ladies feel about moving house at this stage of pregnancy? Anyone do it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

From a man's point-of-view, you need a minimum of one month after moving into a house to get properly settled in and get any additional work, painting, decorating, etc you need to get done.

And that's when you're at full steam. A pregnant woman can (just about) shop, meaning that any work which needs doing vis-a-vis decorating, hanging, furniture, will all have to be done by your partner.

At the same time, once the baby comes along, both of you will be useless for anything for the first two months.

I would say that if you can have the new house entirely finished and ready to go by early October, and all you have to do is move in the furniture and plug in the TV, then that's the time to do it. However, if at that stage you will still have pieces of timber lying around, some painting to do, and lots of house-shopping to do, then maybe look at putting it off until early in the new year.

Does the house need to be fully finished for you to move in?

I wouldn't rush things because you might not be happy with the results but can you decide on the main rooms you'll need immediately and leave the rest? Once the main rooms are comfortable for you to bring home a new baby then ye can tick away at the rest and it's easier to do that when you're there night & day. You won't have much time initially but gradually it'll get easier with the baby and when you're on site in the house then an hour painting here & there will make a difference gradually over a few weeks/months.

If it was me i would probably try to get the move out of the way before the baby but obviously it depends on the state of the new house and how stressed you feel at the thought of moving? And of course you will need some helpers because you won't be doing much lifting/carrying, you can supervise! There are a lot of things to consider.

• Advertisement

That's a fair point that you can just move in and have the main areas done.
    My only concern is that there would be no time for any kind of "ticking away" at the rest of the house until after Xmas. Her partners days for the first two months will consist of going to work, looking after baby, going to bed and then doing it all over again.
    Any spare hour they have here & there will involve catching up with the mundane things like eating or washing clothes, rather than doing a bit of painting. :)

If you could move in and just forget about the unfinished bits for a couple of months, then that would be fine. I know personally I would get quite stressed knowing that these things are sitting there waiting to be finished but never having the chance to get a good run at them.

We moved in to our new place in May and have been tiping away at it since.

It is hard being pregnant and not having the same go as you would have for moving when you're not pregnant... we are lucky the whole place is painted cream or white and we just fit our furniture around all of that but not being able to move/lift/scrub/clean things like you would like does take it's toll.
    I do get withered waiting for my husband to come home to move something for me... but you can't take the chance doing it yourself! So you willhave to wait and always will need help to do big jobs.

If you are hell bent on moving to be in the house, you need to do it now. Get in there asap and make a list of what is "a necessity" in terms of decor and then just let the rest go until you both have the energy and time to put into it. My thing was I didn't want to be moving in after our baby was born with all the stuff that comes with them. I saw that as more of a hassle... we're not truly settled but the boxes are unpacked and we're getting there.

Not sure if it helps but just my two cents! :)

seamus wrote: »
    If you could move in and just forget about the unfinished bits for a couple of months, then that would be fine. I know personally I would get quite stressed knowing that these things are sitting there waiting to be finished but never having the chance to get a good run at them.

Lol you men must all be the same, it drives my husband mad when he can't get stuck in but overall we found it easier being in the house - we were living an hour away though so that added a lot of stress to getting jobs done when we weren't on site. I never minded him being upstairs painting (or other) as much as i minded him getting in the car and being gone for a whole day/evening while i was at home with baby.

I agree the first couple of months after baby arrives very little will be done but gradually it does get easier. We were in the middle of building when baby arrived (we moved when he was a few months old) but from once baby was 4days old my husband just had to go after work & weekends to the site as he project managed the build himself, it wasn't easy on either of us but we survived and amazingly we're even still together :D

OP best of luck whatever ye end up deciding - maybe do a PROs/CONs list ;)

Thanks everyone for great replies. Helps get my head straight. We spoke to builder doing the extension this eve. Asked if its a reasonable possibility to be in late September. He said it is but we'd "be lucky".
    Seamus, you hit the nail on the head in regard to himself. He'd hate to be working on the new house while we were living there esp with a new baby to look after.

Like you say hazeler and ariana, there isn't a whole lot I can do in regard to moving things which would be frustrating definitely.
    Plus I don't want to make mistakes in regard to decor. I still have to choose kitchen and tiles!

Plan at the moment is keep working on house as much as we can up to baby's arrival. Try and get it ready to move into. Baton down the hatches in our current house until after Xmas and then do the final move of clothes etc early in the new year. All going well :-). Up until last week I had it in my head that it wouldn't cause too much stress moving just before baby but I realise that's not the case. Plus we have to think of our 5 yr old. New school, new house and new baby in the space of a few weeks would be a lot of change for the little fella!!

Lac21 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for great replies. Helps get my head straight. We spoke to builder doing the extension this eve. Asked if its a reasonable possibility to be in late September. He said it is but we'd "be lucky".
    Seamus, you hit the nail on the head in regard to himself. He'd hate to be working on the new house while we were living there esp with a new baby to look after.

Like you say hazeler and ariana, there isn't a whole lot I can do in regard to moving things which would be frustrating definitely.
    Plus I don't want to make mistakes in regard to decor. I still have to choose kitchen and tiles!

Plan at the moment is keep working on house as much as we can up to baby's arrival. Try and get it ready to move into. Baton down the hatches in our current house until after Xmas and then do the final move of clothes etc early in the new year. All going well :-). Up until last week I had it in my head that it wouldn't cause too much stress moving just before baby but I realise that's not the case. Plus we have to think of our 5 yr old. New school, new house and new baby in the space of a few weeks would be a lot of change for the little fella!!

Lac i'd say it's a relief just having the decision made and having a plan. Best of luck with the rest of the build.

We were in our house a year before we tiled the kitchen, yes at first it drove us a little mad looking at the walls but gradually we stopped noticing it, it was lovely then getting it done, really changed the look of the room & freshened it up again! We did a few jobs like that after we were in 9-12mths and it was exciting at that stage to do something "new" and i found i had a much clearer head for making decisions, when baby was very small i didn't care too much - i was so preoccupied.

Yes ariana, it is a relief.
    I'm preoccupied with being pregnant at the moment and don't really have the head for making house decisions. Plus this will be our third move in ten yrs. I'm hoping this house will be the 'long term family home'. Want to make sure we get things right!

ladies and gents of the October Bumps I have a question...

What are people doing in terms of nappies? We are hoping to go down the route of re-useable (i.e cloth nappies) and are hoping to go with the Bumgenius brand. :D Some of you will think we are mad but, it's something I am very keen on doing. I know the whole extra washing argument and it doesn't phase me.

I have only seen one thread on here by Ecobrats but would like to get some up to date views, opinions on the subject? Anyone else hoping to travel down this road?? :)

I saw a thread on here about it recently, and I was surprised that anybody would still use cloth nappies in this day and age, so I mentioned to my wife that lots of people were talking online about cloth nappies and she looked at me like I'd 5 heads.

So I reckon we're probably going the disposable route :D

Her point was that if you have to go buy liners for the cloth and wash it anyway, then you're not really saving yourself any time (you still have to go buy the liners) and not saving the environment. I tend to agree with her, but I need to look into more in-depth.

seamus wrote: »

Her point was that if you have to go buy liners for the cloth and wash it anyway, then you're not really saving yourself any time (you still have to go buy the liners) and not saving the environment. I tend to agree with her, but I need to look into more in-depth.

Thanks for the reply. For us, we know that using cloth nappies is not going to be a time saver! they will be more work I know but really it doens't bother me. You're doing extra washing for the babs anyways so you can just fire in the nappies with them. (well the brand we're opting for anyways!)

From what I have read, there are nappy liners that are included in the nappy. These are the ones you wash and re-use. the once off buy package. Then there are optional liners that you can get to help absorb looser stools etc and these are bio-degradeable, can be composted, washed out and re-used up to 6 washes or just flushed down the toilet. They cost €4.99 for a roll of 200 (and are made in Ireland :)) A once a year buy really and because they are bio -degradeable they are actually environmentally friendly.

You don't have to have these liners with the brand I am looking at, they are just optional.

It does seem to be the "jesus yer mad" option but thats ok with us! :D

• Advertisement

Wow hazeler, I have to admit it's something that has never even crossed my mind until I read your post!
    I think like most parents, I would find the washing daunting. As you say though there is lots of extra washing as it is!!
    I will be very interested to see how you get on with them.

Advertisement