Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Households must pay for water meters.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

forfuxsake wrote: »
    I never said I agreed with it. The point is that the water meters are going to be introduced. We are going to pay for them. Either directly through a charge for the meter or indirectly through further taxation. The government has no money which is not ours.

it's a bit like saying 'I'm not going to let you rape me so I am going to consent to sexual intercourse with you'

Either way we're getting fcuked.

We certainly are going to be fcuked (yet again).
    What rubs salt into the wound though, is that forever more we are going to pay for just the damn meter alone!
    Over a lifetime just on that aspect, thats one expensive fcuking meter! :mad:

Joko wrote: »
    It costs a fortune to source, treat, pump, pipe and dispose of drinking water.
    ...And the cost of all that is usually accounted for in your actual water bill!
    (I'm assuming)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

whippet wrote: »
    @forfuxsake

11 pages of a thread and I reckon your post is the first to acknowledge why this tax is being introduced.

All the ranting in the world will not change the fact that we have a 12bn deficit in our national budget (this deficit has shag all to do with bailing out banks etc) .....

Money will have to come from somewhere and that means either taxpaying citizens. The way our tax nets are if we try to raise the revenue from income taxes (or even this mythical magical 'wealth' tax that the lefties are banging on about) it just means that the working middle classes will pay more and those who are outside of the tax net pay little or nothing again.

As no government has the balls really to bring more people directly in to the tax net, via PAYE or even taxing social welfare etc .. the only way to have everyone contribute is via taxes like water and the household charge.

While I despise having to payout more and more of my hard earned money in taxes, it galls me more that there are those who are contributing little or nothing while still drawing a significant chunk of money from the social welfare system.

Before people come jumping down my throat, answer me this .... if the government don't try and raise revenues from all members of society where can they raise the money from? If you don't think they should raise any more revenue (via taxes) can you list where you reckon they could cut 12bn from the budget?

The left's mantra of 'create jobs', 'fuel growth' rather than cut spending is nonsense as there is little prospect of any real growth in the next few years due to the international economic situation - something out of the hands of this government.

Austerity is sh1t, so is paying more in tax while receiving less in services, but we can't maintain the level of spending we did in the last decade as we were spending money that wasn't real ..just magical snake oil coming from the 'property boom/bubble'

There are plenty of areas that can be looked at to save money and in turn will help the deficit.

One area would be child benefit. One problem that I see with child benefit is that it increases with every child yet it is the first child that costs the most with all the new equipment that is needed with a child. All the major buying is done from child number one yet it is increased with child number two.
    Another problem is that child benefit payments are going to some parents who don't even have a child living here in this country. That is money leaving the economy.
    There are also payments going to very well off people even multi millionaires - people who already have money. There is no fear that a kid of a multi millionaire will be suffering.

Imo child benefit should be scrapped and should be replaced with direct provisions to help children like uniforms and books, meals in schools, etc.

That's one area that a saving could be made on.

Another area would be the prison and justice system. Prison seems to be the answer for people who do wrong like tv license dodgers, tax dodgers. There would be people in prison that are not bad people and not a danger to society. These people or the way justice is dealt with are costing the state millions if not billions. IMO prison should be those who are a danger to society and not for the likes of Mr.Garlic Man. Would it not be better to send him out on community service.

Another area would be rent allowance and nama houses. There are plently of empty nama houses remaining empty and idle. Can people who are receiving rent allowance be moved to a nearby empty nama house? Some sort of a grant would have to be given for furniture but savings could be made.

That's three areas I have identifed. I'm sure more people here on boards can think of other areas that savings could be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    We do not get it for nothing.
    If you pay taxes you pay for water.

Maybe I should have been clearer. We don't pay for our water specifically by cubic meter used. At the moment the cost of providing it comes from our other taxes. This is not normal. Most countries pay a water charge on top of all their other taxes because it costs a f*cking fortune to provide. Another point worth noting is that we waste ridiculous amounts of water in this country every year because we don't pay for it and therefore don't value it.
    And clean drinking water? Your having a laugh.

So you're saying that where you live the water isn't clean or drinkable? You're the one having a laugh. I live in Galway and my tapwater is perfectly drinkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

ilovesleep wrote: »
    There are plenty of areas that can be looked at to save money and in turn will help the deficit.

One area would be child benefit. One problem that I see with child benefit is that it increases with every child yet it is the first child that costs the most with all the new equipment that is needed with a child. All the major buying is done from child number one yet it is increased with child number two.
    Another problem is that child benefit payments are going to some parents who don't even have a child living here in this country. That is money leaving the economy.
    There are also payments going to very well off people even multi millionaires - people who already have money. There is no fear that a kid of a multi millionaire will be suffering.

Imo child benefit should be scrapped and should be replaced with direct provisions to help children like uniforms and books, meals in schools, etc.

That's one area that a saving could be made on.

Another area would be the prison and justice system. Prison seems to be the answer for people who do wrong like tv license dodgers, tax dodgers. There would be people in prison that are not bad people and not a danger to society. These people or the way justice is dealt with are costing the state millions if not billions. IMO prison should be those who are a danger to society and not for the likes of Mr.Garlic Man. Would it not be better to send him out on community service.

Another area would be rent allowance and nama houses. There are plently of empty nama houses remaining empty and idle. Can people who are receiving rent allowance be moved to a nearby empty nama house? Some sort of a grant would have to be given for furniture but savings could be made.

That's three areas I have identifed. I'm sure more people here on boards can think of other areas that savings could be made.
    Sensible, easy worked and cost effective suggestions, so there is no chance the FG/Sticky coalition will implement them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Steven81

The government wants money and are introducing charges for everything in order to do this and raised VAT, everything they can think of.

I dont think people would mind paying some money a nominal fee fixed for X years if they got perfect water without taps being turned off during cold weather and limitations during hot( sometimes) times. If they sorted out the quality and leaks first and then when they are correct can they start doing this charge.

I am sure there are still people who have to boil water and in this day and age that is disgraceful.

Wonder if there was a general election in the morning who would people vote for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

lugha wrote: »
    No more so that electricity or gas / oil. We can survive without any of these things piped into our homes but at a cost of considerable inconvenience.

There is no more a case for free water than there is for free gas. The only difference is, we are used to paying for gas in proportion to the amount we use. That is not the case for water.
    is not the household charge to go to the councils to pay for basic services, is not the supply of water a basic service/need, can i state for certain that the provision of water a more basic service than say the local libary that i do not have, or the local playground that does not exist, or the street lighting that i do not have, or the craters outside my door that are never repaired causing cars to splash mud on my boundry walls, will i go on, or perhaps you are phil the flute(r), and have no rational thinking except that your lifestyle cannot afford a 10% wage cut when the majority of the people have had up to 30%, ot that you will not pay the service chaarge for your penthouse flat in the sun because you are not happy with the service your are getting, well welcome to hell on earth where most of us misfortunates are trying to exist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

lividduck wrote: »
    I would sooner burn my house down than vote for SF the murdering lying basta&s!
    WOT!

...And get away with paying a then household tax?
    Goodness!

P.S.
    I might need to borrow your matches later!
    ;)

ilovesleep wrote: »
    By any chances does anyone know how much the private sector's exporting industry here in Ireland is worth? How many billions?

If you think about it - say for example all the governments funding and borrowing is stopped the goverment would have to balance the budget straight away. We'd be living of the taxes raised from the exporting industry and indeed tourism but I'm guessing the tourism industry wouldn't be worth as much as the exporting industry.

The government should be slashing spending and public expeniture to match what the exporting industry is worth.
    yes but their standard of living would take some hit as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

MadYaker wrote: »
    Maybe I should have been clearer. We don't pay for our water specifically by cubic meter used. At the moment the cost of providing it comes from our other taxes. This is not normal. Most countries pay a water charge on top of all their other taxes because it costs a f*cking fortune to provide. Another point worth noting is that we waste ridiculous amounts of water in this country every year because we don't pay for it and therefore don't value it.

So you're saying that where you live the water isn't clean or drinkable? You're the one having a laugh. I live in Galway and my tapwater is perfectly drinkable.

Actually I have to boil my water so no I'm not laughing. It already costs me money to drink due to the boiling .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

I would sooner burn my house down than vote for SF the murdering lying basta&s!

I was waiting for this. Do you really think the mainstream parties are any more moral? It's like the bankers and a desperate petty thief. Legality and morality are not always the same thing. Perhaps if Bertie and Enda had grown up in Derry people would say "they have blood on their hands".

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    ...And while our political present masters do the screwing on us, they are making us pay for the lube!
    you are quite wrong biggins, they charge us for the lube but they export it to keep the figures up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I dont own a house, but all these ****ing taxes and bills these useless ****ing prícks keep coming up with greatly pisses me off. Im sick of hearing about the retarded ****e that goes on everyday here. They can shove their fúcking water meter up their holes and die for all I care as I know my family will be one that are not going to foot the bill for this, and neither are they paying the household charge. Maybe I should just leave this joke of a place as soon as possible before I fúck a brick at one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Azure_sky wrote: »
    I was waiting for this. Do you really think the mainstream parties are any more moral? It's like the bankers and a desperate petty thief. Legality and morality are not always the same thing. Perhaps if Bertie and Enda had grown up in Derry people would say "they have blood on their hands".

Bull, SF are, no matter what they say, connected to the IRA, or whatever they want to call themselves nowadays. Well known for murdering, maiming and all sorts of crime. Yes the current bunch are bad, the previous worse than the current, but neither would be near as bad as SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I dont own a house, but all these ****ing taxes and bills these useless ****ing prícks keep coming up with greatly pisses me off. Im sick of hearing about the retarded ****e that goes on everyday here. They can shove their fúcking water meter up their holes and die for all I care as I know my family will be one that are not going to foot the bill for this, and neither are they paying the household charge. Maybe I should just leave this joke of a place as soon as possible before I fúck a brick at one of them.

Lovely :rolleyes:

44leto wrote: »
    300 to 500 for such a marvellous technological piece of gadgetry a bargain if ever I did see one. Except in this economy I can't see people running to the shop to acquire the latest one.
    €78 inc vat in limerick before christmas, i recon some one will be on a rather big moxey with this gig.

If people invested in their own pumps it would work out cheaper in the long run.
    no, they are not exempt.

Bull, SF are, no matter what they say, connected to the IRA, or whatever they want to call themselves nowadays. Well known for murdering, maiming and all sorts of crime. Yes the current bunch are bad, the previous worse than the current, but neither would be near as bad as SF.

I don't agree with the actions of the I.R.A. but I didn't grow up in the North when Catholics were treated like dogs. It's easy for us, in the Republic, to call these people scum when we never experienced the troubles. Yes, many acts of the IRA were immoral, but so were the acts of the British Army and the Unionists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

flutered wrote: »
    no, they are not exempt.

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

flutered wrote: »
    no, they are not exempt.

People who have wells are not exempt? Apologies if I wasn't clear. I was referring to wells and pumps.

Parry and Ball, two little boys out shopping in Warrington, murdered by your mates in "the Republican Movement" in an act they described as regretable!
    These scuzzballs are the lowest of the low, and what is worse as the party of government in Northern Ireland they implement cuts, raise rates, etc yet in the Republic (or "Down Here" as they insultingly refer to my country) they oppose everything in an ongoing act of rabblerousing hypocrisy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Every fuckin' time with the SF shite............

I don't agree with the actions of the I.R.A. but I didn't grow up in the North when Catholics were treated like dogs. It's easy for us, in the Republic, to call these people scum when we never experienced the troubles. Yes, many acts of the IRA were immoral, but so were the acts of the British Army and the Unionists.

And I wouldn't vote for them either. The IRA carried out the worse actions during the troubles. I didn't grow up in the north either, but as a human being I do not agree with the **** they carried out and for SF never once to condemn the actions of the IRA says it all. Hasn't Martin McGuinness admited that he was a member, but never killed anyone?

Anyway back on topic, I won't pay for something I don't want. And at €300 per house is crazy, I quoted a few years ago for commerical meters and they where nothing near that price.

The British Army are not seeking power in this country, the murdering hypocrites in SF and their supporters in the Man United jerseys on the other hand are!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

MadYaker wrote: »
    Its amazing how some people can be so clueless. So according to you there is absolutely no difference between what falls from the clouds and what comes out of your tap? Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Go ask the people of Galway city.;)
    bet they would gladly drink what falls from the sky at this stage as opposed to the "treated" ****e thats flowing from their taps.

"Treated" ****e that they already have paid for through their general taxation. Ignorance is indeed a bliss.;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dry those misty eyes and wake up to reality.

Anyway, if you really think Sinn Fein would somehow take Ireland out of the EU you're deluded.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sigh...

You're talking crap.

... murdered by your mates in "the Republican Movement"

Yeah, I go for a pint with them every second Saturday. I think I'll just stop right here.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Joko wrote: »
    It costs a fortune to source, treat, pump, pipe and dispose of drinking water.

Yes correct. And that is paid for by the general taxation of each and every taxpayer in the land. Anything else you've been told to the contrary is pure and utter bull.;)

washman3 wrote: »
    Yes correct. And that is paid for by the general taxation of each and every taxpayer in the land. Anything else you've been told to the contrary is pure and utter bull.;)

In fairness the point is the Taxes we have been paying are now been used to pay the IMF because of the wnakers who buggered this country up. Sure they will be alright, they still have their massive pensions and millions tucked safe away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Main headline on today's The Sunday Times. Link to story here.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/householders-must-pay-for-water-meter-installation-547549.html?m=false

So not only will you be responsible as a householder to pay for your water but also for the expensive installation of a water meter. Yet again your local authority has let you down through bad planning and development.

Again ask yourself where did all the money go, the millions paid in levies. Why weren't developers forced during planning and construction process to provide meters.

Estimates from government is that it will cost €300-€350 but experts which thr government have none say it will be closer to €500-€600.
    Well you have a choice of paying directly for it through the meter surcharge or indirectly through general taxation. Either way you pay

Advertisement