Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EPG coming to Sky+HD - Beta about to launch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 aaronenglish81

thebrush wrote: »
    Hi,

Hope this won't affect the"card Trick" ?

Cheers
    Damo

What is the card trick :?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,422 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If we own our own sky box, why arent these updates optional?
    I can choose whether or not to download windows updates on my pc, I can reject the installation of IE etc, how come sky can pretty much force their software onto our boxes whether we want it or not?

Is there any legal ground for challenging their "right" to install whatever they please on our boxes? Unless there is a security breach or some other worthy reason.

Anyone know where we stand as the owner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

If we own our own sky box, why arent these updates optional?
    I can choose whether or not to download windows updates on my pc, I can reject the installation of IE etc, how come sky can pretty much force their software onto our boxes whether we want it or not?

Is there any legal ground for challenging their "right" to install whatever they please on our boxes? Unless there is a security breach or some other worthy reason.

Anyone know where we stand as the owner?
    It's probably hidden in the " terms and conditions". I agree with you entirely I was perfectly happy with the old epg especially as I could get the trick channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

New Update

Thanks you for taking part in the trial of the latest EPG software!

The boxes with the serial number you have given will be switched in the early morning of tomorrow morning (Tuesday 24th July).

For those new to the “Further Enhanced EPG” forum the key changes you will now see are:

When you delete items you will be able to undelete them from a new tab to the left of the all tab in the Planner. There is more detail around this in the discussion thread: “Recovering deleted recordings feature”.
    Modification to the look and feel of some On Demand classifications to support the upcoming Catch-Up functionality.
    Performance improvements in many scenarios.
    The trick mode icon has had a cosmetic update and now operates more smoothly than before.

The key intent of release 53.57 is to widen the beta group, so if you are upgrading from 53.53 you will not notice major changes or fixes. We intend to make a further update within the next two weeks.

Key known issues from 53.53 (these are still unresolved – these have proven trickier to resolve than expected, but we have made good progress recently, and expect to see them resolved in the next release to the forum):

We have seen a couple of incidents of stuck in standby recovered by rebooting the box
    Intermittently, image may freeze during trickmodes recovered by stopping and replaying the event
    Planner rebuild may stall (sometimes as long as 20 mins) if you see this you can recover more quickly by turning the power off and back on
    Green button/Channel selector in On Demand incorrectly shows 'There are no programmes of this type'
    Reminders are sometimes not transparent
    It is possible to highlight the entire grid as yellow by browsing radio channels in the grid
    FF/RW/Pause sometimes causes a lockup until a channel change is carried out

We look forward to reading more of your comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

New Update
    The trick mode icon has had a cosmetic update and now operates more smoothly than before.
    Are they getting in on the act now also? ;)

New Update

Trick mode? What's that?

* hopes they've built in the card trick option :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

muffler wrote: »
    Are they getting in on the act now also? ;)

Are Sky, off the record or otherwise, aware of the "card trick"? If so, they must be aware of the disappointment of their Irish customers that, for the majority, it no longer works.. It is not as if it is costing them revenue to have the trick in place. In fact the opposite. I for one will be getting a Freesat PVR as soon as my contract is up if I cannot figure a way of getting the EPGs combined before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

eddiem10 wrote: »
    Are Sky, off the record or otherwise, aware of the "card trick"? If so, they must be aware of the disappointment of their Irish customers that, for the majority, it no longer works.. It is not as if it is costing them revenue to have the trick in place. In fact the opposite. I for one will be getting a Freesat PVR as soon as my contract is up if I cannot figure a way of getting the EPGs combined before then.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Indeed. If you've ever been to an Irish/English bar in Spain or Portugal you'll see that Sky is always on the tv, even though Sky is only intended for UK & Ireland. This must be a huge earner for them.[/FONT]

They are i'd say but that is not an official function of their software - technically it is seen as a bug. Sky makes money off epg slots and the ROI market is its own market when it comes to that so it is of no benifit to them to merge the uk and Irish epg

• Advertisement

Trick mode? What's that?

* hopes they've built in the card trick option :rolleyes:

Wiki source
    Functionality

Download and streaming video on demand systems provide the user with a large subset of VCR functionality including pause, fast forward, fast rewind, slow forward, slow rewind, jump to previous/future frame etc. These functions are called trick modes. For disk-based streaming systems which store and stream programs from hard disk drive, trick modes require additional processing and storage on the part of the server, because separate files for fast forward and rewind must be stored. Memory-based VOD streaming systems have the advantage of being able to perform trick modes directly from RAM, which requires no additional storage or CPU cycles on the part of the processor.
    It is possible to put video servers on LANs, in which case they can provide very rapid response to users. Streaming video servers can also serve a wider community via a WAN, in which case the responsiveness may be reduced. Download VOD services are practical to homes equipped with cable modems or DSL connections. Servers for traditional cable and telco VOD services are usually placed at the cable head-end serving a particular market as well as cable hubs in larger markets. In the telco world, they are placed in either the central office, or a newly created location called a Video Head-End Office (VHO).

the latest beta is mostly about fixing errors and building on demand access like bbc iplayer and itv player, sky store and other expansion of on demand

It worked in the beta versions of Picasso but was later removed. That would suggest they do know about it and specifically removed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

We've had the Live pause issue as well. We had it happen a lot during the olympics, like during the opening ceremony we had it paused for about 40-50 minutes while we got some grub ready, it crapped out on us about half an hour in, and we had to manually select a time after where it had cut out to keep watching.

Complete pain in the arse and we've only seen this since the new firmware update.

Another issue we've seen is where you'll be searching the TV listings on the search and scan banner and a program will show as being on two different channels, like tonight we flicked on to Cheaper by the dozen 2 on E4 (also on E4+1) and while searching the listings it looked as if it was also on BBC1, but it wasn't. When we selected BBC1 it changed to "who do you think you are".

This sort of thing has happened a few times now.

I caught it on video so we could prove it actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Does anyone know when this new EPG is coming to the Pace box?

Everyone i know has the new EPG but me. Its bloody infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Hogzy wrote: »
    Does anyone know when this new EPG is coming to the Pace box?

Everyone i know has the new EPG but me. Its bloody infuriating.
    I don't have it either on a Samsung and Pace boxes and I don't want it.

200motels wrote: »

Its still in beta for those boxes I think - Ill try and find out for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

"Later in the year" is Sky's official word:

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky-plus-hd/tv-guide/faqs/index.html?search_omni=search-article-sslc

Click on "when will I get the new Sky Guide".

200motels wrote: »

I know for a fact that the early Samsung Models wont be getting it at all.

I wish I could get rid of it and get the uk channels back on the epg. I hate it.

I know for a fact that the early Samsung Models wont be getting it at all.

How do I find out if mine is an early Samsung model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Marath

If you wanted to upgrade to a new Amstrad box that has the new EPG, how much would it cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Woodie40

Marath wrote: »
    If you wanted to upgrade to a new Amstrad box that has the new EPG, how much would it cost ?

It's really not worth it, the changes are barely noticeable IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Marath wrote: »

save yourself hassle

there are so many obvious and basic function bugs with the new software i wish i had the old working one back again!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Marath

hoodwinked wrote: »
    save yourself hassle

there are so many obvious and basic function bugs with the new software i wish i had the old working one back again!

Ok, thanks. I have a Samsung box, working perfectly with the card trick, so I'll stick with what I have. Don't see a whole lot wrong with the old EPG anyway.

save yourself hassle

really? Like what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

really? Like what?

if you are choosing programs to watch in the planner, it jumps about alot rather then returning the the program you just pressed,

e.g

in our list you would have

blues clues
    deadliest catch
    animaniacs
    dora the explorer
    the simpsons
    A league of there own
    csi
    whatever else

i will go into deadliest catch see what episodes are there
    press back up and end up down at the A league of their own on return to the previous menu.

ditto for deleting

i was deleting csi episodes in the episodes list

e.g

tv guide - planner - csi - episode lists

there were 3 episodes i want gone, i pressed delete 3 times,

it deleted the three csi episodes then jumped and deleted a simpsons episodes

previously id have lost the 3 csi episodes (at worst 4 csi episodes)

other times when our 3 year old is watching childrens channels we could be on channel 615

pressing the blue downwards arrow to go through the search and scan banner brings you straight to channel 101,

pressing back up and the blue downwards arrow again brings up channel 614 :confused:

and simply flicking through the channels is now a pain in the butt

, it holds the blue screen on screen, while flicking via search and scan banner, where before the channels would change so you'd hear the first syllable of the word the character on tv said

it takes longer to 'load' the channel too then before, might still be fast but its noticeably slower then before...

really? Like what?

if you are choosing programs to watch in the planner, it jumps about alot rather then returning the the program you just pressed,

e.g

in our list you would have

blues clues
    deadliest catch
    animaniacs
    dora the explorer
    the simpsons
    A league of there own
    csi
    whatever else

i will go into deadliest catch see what episodes are there
    press back up and end up down at the A league of their own on return to the previous menu.

ditto for deleting

i was deleting csi episodes in the episodes list

e.g

tv guide - planner - csi - episode lists

there were 3 episodes i want gone, i pressed delete 3 times,

it deleted the three csi episodes then jumped and deleted a simpsons episodes

previously id have lost the 3 csi episodes (at worst 4 csi episodes)

other times when our 3 year old is watching childrens channels we could be on channel 615

pressing the blue downwards arrow to go through the search and scan banner brings you straight to channel 101,

pressing back up and the blue downwards arrow again brings up channel 614 :confused:

and simply flicking through the channels is now a pain in the butt

, it holds the blue screen on screen, while flicking via search and scan banner, where before the channels would change so you'd hear the first syllable of the word the character on tv said

it takes longer to 'load' the channel too then before, might still be fast but its noticeably slower then before...
    And no uk channels either. It spends more time on channel 998 than anything. Failed recordings/ partial recordings. Recording clashes that don't exist. The list is endless. Badly written crappy software seems to be the standard nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

My skybox is acting up since the new epg came in,can anybody tell me how to do a forced update to try to sort out the issues,the main one is the box lagging,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

manutd83 wrote: »
    My skybox is acting up since the new epg came in,can anybody tell me how to do a forced update to try to sort out the issues,the main one is the box lagging,thanks

Just unplug or switch off the box at the wall,then hold down the back up button and switch it back on keep it down till the 4 lights on the front light up

Advertisement