Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EPG coming to Sky+HD - Beta about to launch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

Alright, bit the bullet and got onto Sky, spoke with a charming customer service agent who tried to put the blame on my tv and of course wasn't aware of any issues with the new EPG.

He only had me reboot the box and then got me to flick through the channels and since nothing wrong was happening he seemed to think there wasn't an issue to which I explained that once the box had been rebooted it generally worked as normal until such time as the box froze, sound dropped or a recording didn't work.

His suggestion was that I pay €100 for an engineer to have a look at the box as I'm outside of the original warranty which i didn't extend. I wasn't aware there was an option to do so but there you go, that's another matter. I told him I didn't see why I should have to pay since I didn't cause this problem.

I told him I had had no issues with my box in the 18 months I've been with Sky, it's only since the new EPG was installed that these issues have started, he didn't seem capable of making the link.

He did tell me, just before I got so fed up and hung up on him, that this should just resolve itself. Well we'll see about that, if not I hope the next time I'm onto Sky that I'm not dealing with that clown. Ok rant over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Got the new EPG on my Amstrad box sometime in the last 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

John mac wrote: »
    No it dosn't . never worked for these ,

just remove the card and it reverts to the uk epg..

It did for me using a Scottish ftv card in conjunction with my sub card and for many others...how come it didn't work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I'm guessing if you just plug out the box, hold back up button while plugging it back in for about 20 seconds it will manually push the update to the box??

I'm guessing if you just plug out the box, hold back up button while plugging it back in for about 20 seconds it will manually push the update to the box??

It should but don't unplug the box....the new epg is on the download stream for 895 and 890 boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

It did for me using a Scottish ftv card in conjunction with my sub card and for many others...how come it didn't work for you?

old Thomson HD box - the one with component out

does not have the darwin software. thats why is wont work (i presume)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

My update came through last night. I was watching something and fell asleep. When i woke up after 1 AM . I noticed i just had a blank screen. Didnt no what had happened so i turned the box off and back on again. Everything looked different but i eventually got used to it.

Only issue i have is with the TV Guide. Once i press it. Then press All Channels. It only lists 8 channels on the each page. I am sure it used to list 12 on each page before the update. Definitely 10 anyway. Anyone got ideas how to get it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,855 ✭✭✭✭muffler

martyeds wrote: »
    I am sure it used to list 12 on each page before the update. Definitely 10 anyway. Anyone got ideas how to get it back?
    6 channels per page was the standard listing.

No way of changing afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

muffler wrote: »
    6 channels per page was the standard listing.

No way of changing afaik.

I am nearly sure that UK Gold always on my first page on the TV Guide, now it has moved onto the second page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

With the old EPG you could disable the Mini TV and then have 12 channels listed on the same page. Can't do this now which is a shame. Its 8 channels whether mini tv is enabled or disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

jakdublin wrote: »
    Anybody else having problems recording with the new EPG? I can't record. Have to do my sky-plussing from my iPad or iPhone. :mad:

In the absence of anybody else replying, I'll answer myself. :D

A plug-out and plug-in solved my issue.

old Thomson HD box - the one with component out

does not have the darwin software. thats why is wont work (i presume)

Ah fair enough my apologies

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I have the old Thomson HD box (model 102140) , will this get the update ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

sharkman wrote: »
    I have the old Thomson HD box (model 102140) , will this get the update ??

if it has the component out as well as hdmi ,then nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Marath

if it has the component out as well as hdmi ,then nope.

I thought no Thompson boxes were getting the new EPG, only Samsung and Pace, once all the Amstrad boxes are updated ?

Marath wrote: »
    I thought no Thompson boxes were getting the new EPG, only Samsung and Pace, once all the Amstrad boxes are updated ?

That's correct. The Thomsons didn't even get Darwin, let alone Picasso.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 zooropa2012

Hi all,

I have the Amstrad DRX595 Sky HD mini receiver, will the new EPG be coming this box soon?,

I tried a force download but still nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭rogue.goofball

boccy23 wrote: »
    :mad:

I have been having exactly the same problems. And no unplugging it does not work.

When I try Live Pause, it freezes. When I try to play back I got a blue screen. Disaster.

Got onto Sky and despite their best efforts so far, absolutely no joy.

In order of sequence we have tried:
    1/Rebuild
    2/Forced update
    3/Full system reset (i.e. lose all programmes)
    4/System sync with Sky center

They are now trying to see if it my card but have heard nothing back.

If they don't sort it soon, me and my €80 a month are hoing bye bye. :mad:

I've got to point3 with them... a few films I want to watch first, but this has been really bad for me. cant do anything when another programme is recording. If you happen to be in the guide when a planned recording starts, you are most likely just one click away from the blue screen. Sometimes flicking channels then the sound goes, crazy unexplainable stuff at this stage.
    Oh and when I called SKY I was the first person to report this, until I rang them back a few minutes later after step 2 failed, then next girl admitted there had been 'some' other customers, with similar experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭rogue.goofball

An Tarbh wrote: »
    Alright, bit the bullet and got onto Sky, spoke with a charming customer service agent who tried to put the blame on my tv and of course wasn't aware of any issues with the new EPG.

He only had me reboot the box and then got me to flick through the channels and since nothing wrong was happening he seemed to think there wasn't an issue to which I explained that once the box had been rebooted it generally worked as normal until such time as the box froze, sound dropped or a recording didn't work.

His suggestion was that I pay €100 for an engineer to have a look at the box as I'm outside of the original warranty which i didn't extend. I wasn't aware there was an option to do so but there you go, that's another matter. I told him I didn't see why I should have to pay since I didn't cause this problem.

I told him I had had no issues with my box in the 18 months I've been with Sky, it's only since the new EPG was installed that these issues have started, he didn't seem capable of making the link.

He did tell me, just before I got so fed up and hung up on him, that this should just resolve itself. Well we'll see about that, if not I hope the next time I'm onto Sky that I'm not dealing with that clown. Ok rant over.

Interesting... my box is also 18 months old - could it be that there are a few boxes of a certain vintage that for 'some' reason, struggle with the new software. Others who are having problems - how old is your box, and what is the spec - maybe we can make the link, and go to SKY with it, as for sure I'm not paying for an engineer. UPC have been sniffing around my estate alot, so I could switch to them, and probably save some money (phone/broadband/tv in one) but I dont *really* want to.

If Sky tried to charge you for this, I'm sure you could argue that their update caused the issue so they should be responsible. Even though the box is your property, it's their update that did the damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

I have a Thomson 4E3011 will it be getting the new EPG,

version it has now is sky+8.3.2

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

I've got to point3 with them... a few films I want to watch first, but this has been really bad for me. cant do anything when another programme is recording. If you happen to be in the guide when a planned recording starts, you are most likely just one click away from the blue screen. Sometimes flicking channels then the sound goes, crazy unexplainable stuff at this stage.
    Oh and when I called SKY I was the first person to report this, until I rang them back a few minutes later after step 2 failed, then next girl admitted there had been 'some' other customers, with similar experiences.

I rang them with the same issues and was of course the first person to have any problems with the EPG, they really shouldn't insult customer's intelligence with crap like that.

The beta forums and its post release function is ending in less than two week so that be the end of beta stuff for drx 890 and 1TB boxes for a short while.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Anyone ???
    eiei0 wrote: »
    I have a Thomson 4E3011 will it be getting the new EPG,

version it has now is sky+8.3.2

eiei0 wrote: »
    Anyone ???

I don't think it will - the pace and Samsung boxes are next for the upgrade path and while there was mention of Thompson - in the end sky have set no further info out in regards to that particular brand of boxes while they have in regards to pace and Samsung - so I'd say there is a serious chance that it wont be.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Thomson boxes will not be getting the new EPG

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky-plus-hd/tv-guide/faqs/index.html?search_omni=search-article-sslc

Click on "How can I find out which Sky+HD box model I have?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭boccy23

Interesting... my box is also 18 months old - could it be that there are a few boxes of a certain vintage that for 'some' reason, struggle with the new software. Others who are having problems - how old is your box, and what is the spec - maybe we can make the link, and go to SKY with it, as for sure I'm not paying for an engineer. UPC have been sniffing around my estate alot, so I could switch to them, and probably save some money (phone/broadband/tv in one) but I dont *really* want to.

Mine is an AMSTRAD DR something something. Cant remember the exact code.

Thomson boxes will not be getting the new EPG

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky-plus-hd/tv-guide/faqs/index.html?search_omni=search-article-sslc

Click on "How can I find out which Sky+HD box model I have?"
    Cheers....they could have stated that on the Dev forum but they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

lads,

i have an amstrad box model no 4f3006 , any idea if/when the new epg is being rolled out to this, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

kayevajo wrote: »
    lads,

i have an amstrad box model no 4f3006 , any idea if/when the new epg is being rolled out to this, thanks

Check here - 4F30's are slated for later in the year:

Advertisement