Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V5

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭auntyweeze

hey all,
    was told today our job is cutting 18 jobs in the next 12months, with the first 8 being given their notice for redundancies next friday *panics*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

auntyweeze wrote: »
    hey all,
    was told today our job is cutting 18 jobs in the next 12months, with the first 8 being given their notice for redundancies next friday *panics*

Ouch, I have my fingers crossed for you to be okay :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭auntyweeze

jujibee wrote: »
    Ouch, I have my fingers crossed for you to be okay :(

thanks jujibee.i actually felt physically sick when they told me, then i wanted to cry, but i settled for 3 smokes in a row to calm me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Huh! Went into Dunnes and did some food shopping, I had 25 quid on me to get shopping and I got exactly 25euro worth of shopping. Went to the till to find a man collecting for charity, I didn't have any bags as the shopping was going straight into the car so after the lady scanned I put each item back into the trolley. I had no change from my purchase and when I didn't give money I got the dirtiest look of the man when I didn't put money into his bucket and swore he started making a weird hissing sound while I walked away.

This is the first time I haven't placed money into one of those buckets and it's just crazy that I felt guilty for not having some change. I think it was wrong of that man to have acted in that way without knowing people's circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Just had last dental appointment - managed to fit in 5 of them in 2 weeks! Got a full check up, x-rays, laser cleaning, root canal, crown and a laser whitening session. Phew! All in only cost about €300 and was actually genuinely totally painless. I asked the dentist would he consider moving to Ireland to set up a practice there... he laughed until he realised I was totally serious. Haha.

Went for a walk this evening and spent ages thinking about what was the worse smell I've experienced in India... couldn't decide between decomposing dead dog in the sun, the stench of human faeces in Calcutta or the dreadful waft that comes from rotting chicken corpses. I tried to have a lovely walk but the smell memories totally ruined it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    Huh! Went into Dunnes and did some food shopping, I had 25 quid on me to get shopping and I got exactly 25euro worth of shopping. Went to the till to find a man collecting for charity, I didn't have any bags as the shopping was going straight into the car so after the lady scanned I put each item back into the trolley. I had no change from my purchase and when I didn't give money I got the dirtiest look of the man when I didn't put money into his bucket and swore he started making a weird hissing sound while I walked away.

This is the first time I haven't placed money into one of those buckets and it's just crazy that I felt guilty for not having some change. I think it was wrong of that man to have acted in that way without knowing people's circumstances.

Once in Tesco there were two teenage boys on my till doing bag packing, they were sneering and fighting over who didn't have to pack my bag, because my shopping contained a bra :rolleyes: Their supervisor just looked at me and shrugged, needless to say they didn't get a cent...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Pembily wrote: »
    I don't understand how you cycle like you drive?

As in behave as if you're a car. Instead of cycling in the gutter trying to stay out of the cars' way, you cycle in the lane and the cars have to overtake you properly. At junctions, you take the lane appropriate to where you want to go rather than the 'cycle lane' at the edge of the road where you'll get all the left-turning cars cutting you off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_cycling for more info...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Jesus don't feel guilty! You're not obliged to give people money every (or any) time there's a collection box shoved under your nose... everyone would be completely broke if that was the case!

I've done a few fundraisers and the day I start *expecting* everyone to fork over their money and getting in a huff when they don't is the day I know it's time to give it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

cdaly_ wrote: »
    As in behave as if you're a car. Instead of cycling in the gutter trying to stay out of the cars' way, you cycle in the lane and the cars have to overtake you properly. At junctions, you take the lane appropriate to where you want to go rather than the 'cycle lane' at the edge of the road where you'll get all the left-turning cars cutting you off.

I think that's a safer way of cycling anyway. I think if you're too far in at the kerb other road users take too many risks squeezing by you, at least if you are using your lane properly (and there's no cycle lane) then they have to perform a proper over-taking manoeuvre. So much crap builds up at the sides of the roads too, prime spot for a puncture

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

hiss back at him next time
    fecker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Jujibee thanks for the picture :) That coffee looks soooo good.

Novella I'd say if he's really sorry then there's no harm in meeting with him. You don't have to go straight back to how you were before, things take time, but you can at least go back to talking. In my experience a friend who can admit and appologise when they have done something wrong is too good a friend to loose.

Das so glad your brother is doing better, his attitude is bang on. It's good that his girlfriend sees that her little stunt hasn't stopped him. You should be very proud of him :)

Went out for a walk in the rain with the boyfriend and the dogs and it was lovely. Cuddled up warm and dry now with a big cup of tomato soup nom nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Was trying to annoy my dad by saying 'Mam said she'll buy me a hoover for my new house...what are YOU gonna get me'

He said

Hoover Bags.

Fooker! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Just got talking to another of my brothers and my baby bro is doing well. He was up dropping CVs in various places in a fit of "well fcuk you, I'm going to be awesome anyway."

So proud. Would love to see him get along and realise how clever and funny he is. Just an out and out good sort of chap. To think I thought we'd lost him forever a year and a half ago, so glad he proved me wrong.

*dies of warm fuzzy feelings*

Is he hawt and willing to travel? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

cdaly_ wrote: »

Oh I did that when I learned to drive, constantly in at the edge. But now that I am cycling in Dublin I tend to take up more of the road so I don't get mowed down.

Speaking of, I am cycling in to meet friends for drinks :

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Alright Loungers, as we're approaching the 10k mark this thread will be closed soon and 2 new ones opened. We've discovered not having a dedicated chat thread is not working out, and this thread is losing its purpose. Therefore, we will have a What Made You Smile/Frown/Mad etc thread AND a separate thread for chat. We were throwing around a few ideas for chat thread titles in the sekrit mod forum. Let us know which ones you like and feel free to make new suggestions.

Loungers who lunch - natter and gossip thread

Tea, Crumpets and Off-Topic Chatting

???

Profit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i vote for "tea, cake, and kiera" :pac:

(it's cake as well as choc she doesn't like, right? :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Let us know which ones you like and feel free to make new suggestions.

Tea with Moriarty

sherlock_moriarty_tea.png

Because of how awesome Sherlock is ;)

I like: Loungers who lunch. I dont drink tea :P

bluewolf wrote: »
    i vote for "tea, cake, and kiera" :pac:

(it's cake as well as choc she doesn't like, right? :p)

I dont seem to like anything you lot like. Bunch of weirdos :P

Bovril and thai green curry would be a great name :D

Kiera wrote: »

Banned.

No srsly, who doesn't like tea? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,483 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Therefore, we will have a What Made You Smile/Frown/Mad etc thread AND a separate thread for chat. We were throwing around a few ideas for chat thread titles in the sekrit mod forum. Let us know which ones you like and feel free to make new suggestions.

YAY! :D

10,000 posts already? :eek: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Kiera wrote: »

And I don't like cake.

Everyone likes lunch, though, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Banned.

Me :D

Hate the stuff.

Like the smell of coffee but could never drink it.

Larianne wrote: »
    YAY! :D

10,000 posts already? :eek: :pac:

Nearly - we're around 9500 right now but this thread moves FAST so just giving ye a 2/3 day heads up :P

Banned.

Me :o

Ok, guess i'm the weirdo here :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Banned.

I don't! :o

Dear all tea-haters,

6w29.jpg

Yours sincerely,

Fluorescence :P

Now coffee, coffee is pants. Yuck. Can't stand the stuff!

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Everyone likes lunch, though, right?

no. how's that for contrary!
    :p

(ok i do i do)

Now coffee, coffee is pants. Yuck. Can't stand the stuff!
    YOU get out! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,483 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement