Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V5

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Wtf?? Did he mean it in a -I want to do something about it- way or in a -I can appreciate that your best friend is attractive- way?

God, I hope its the 2nd option for that girl!!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sitting on my work chair hurts due to the 6 inch bruise on my hip :eek: :(

Ouch, Rainbow! How did you do that?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Posy wrote: »
    Ouch, Rainbow! How did you do that?

Took a heavy fall during the Great Limerick Run half-marathon on Sunday, and landed on my hip. Still htfu'd and finished the race though :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

there are only so many of peoples problems and breakdowns i can handle before i have one myself! :(

i dont mind helping people out at all but its getting too much at this stage :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So the house went on fire this morning. Got it put out ourselves with 2 domestic fire extinguishers and the fire brigade turn up about 15 - 20 minutes later. If we hadn't got those extinguishers we'd probably have lost everything.

:eek:

Oh my God, RQ!!! How did that happen!? :eek:

Posy wrote: »
    Oh my God, RQ!!! How did that happen!? :eek:

Electrical fault in the hotpress. Thankfully my dad was downstairs at the time and we woke up to him shouting "FIRE, FIRE" so jumped out of bed, pressed the fire alarm on and moved everything away from the hotpress while my bro got the fire extinguishers ready.

We are very, VERY lucky. Had it happened in the middle of the night downstairs would have been destroyed by the time the fire alarm would have caught it and we'd probably have lost the house. I suppose 8am is a difficult time for the fire brigade to get here with work and school traffic but 15 minutes is enough time surely for the fire to spread to neighbouring houses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Electrical fault in the hotpress. Thankfully my dad was downstairs at the time and we woke up to him shouting "FIRE, FIRE" so jumped out of bed, pressed the fire alarm on and moved everything away from the hotpress while my bro got the fire extinguishers ready.

We are very, VERY lucky. Had it happened in the middle of the night downstairs would have been destroyed by the time the fire alarm would have caught it and we'd probably have lost the house. I suppose 8am is a difficult time for the fire brigade to get here with work and school traffic but 15 minutes is enough time surely for the fire to spread to neighbouring houses?

How far away is the nearest fire station to you, like on a normal day how many minutes would it take you to drive from your house to there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Oh dear i'm not well at all :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Kiera wrote: »
    Oh dear i'm not well at all :o

Literal, or in the way we all know anyway? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Literal, or in the way we all know anyway? ;)

Column A + Column B :P

I'm taking a month off drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Wrist is throbbing. This writing thing is over-rated, Repetitive Strain Injury due to exams is NOT welcome.....

RQ thats so scary, thankfully you had the extinguishers...

Acoshla wrote: »
    How far away is the nearest fire station to you, like on a normal day how many minutes would it take you to drive from your house to there?

It's around 4 miles - maybe 15 minutes or so in normal traffic? We're quite close to Tallaght fire station as well.

Really teaches you the value of having fire extinguishers in your home, having them in easy reach and umm knowing how to use them. On of 'em was the normal pull a tab and it works the other had to be examined before any of us could figure out how to use it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

So the house went on fire this morning. Got it put out ourselves with 2 domestic fire extinguishers and the fire brigade turn up about 15 - 20 minutes later. If we hadn't got those extinguishers we'd probably have lost everything.

:eek:

Jesus RQ, are you alright?? That's really scary! Thank god for the fire extinguishers.

The OH's dad has gotten the all clear from the doctor to go to his award ceremony on friday :D So glad, he really deserves some recognition for all the work he's done. Me and the OH are going to cheer and woot!
    I NEED A PRETTY DRESS AND SHOES!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

It's around 4 miles - maybe 15 minutes or so in normal traffic? We're quite close to Tallaght fire station as well.

Really teaches you the value of having fire extinguishers in your home, having them in easy reach and umm knowing how to use them. On of 'em was the normal pull a tab and it works the other had to be examined before any of us could figure out how to use it. :)

That must have been so scary for you, especially after when you think about alternate endings, well done on keeping calm and putting it out.

I think its awful how most fire stations arent manned outside office hours, i mean I live in galway, if there is a fire at 6.30, you have to wait for the fire men to get to the station , in rush hour traffic, and then yhey hve to get to you, in rush hour traffic! Crazy, thankfully only had to call them once, and that was before 6. AFAIK its still 6 thats their finish time there. Its such a valuable service and they do great work, its again down to a funding thing, which isnt much comfort to anyone if they lost belongings or worse someone in a fire.

can someone help me with this situation...as in do i have right to be annoyed??

so bascially one of the girls needed some help for an exam tomorrow..last night i had to call up to the house with all my stuff and try explain everything even though to be honest i havent a fúcking clue either..did my best and the girl she lived with ended up putting most of her stuff in my bag i didnt realise until later on....

so we said we would meet up today and i went into college and she text me saying she just woke up and i had to meet her somewhere i said meet me somewhere else and she didnt reply...so anyway i leave my stuff in college nearly at the place get a call saying oh could you get the key of my housemate so i had to go back in get the key packed up all my stuff and met her gave her the stuff and walked out i was so annoyed!

on top of this i had 5 different people begging me for help....i am just as clueless as them i havent a clue what to study! i didnt get 5 mins of peace in there at all!

so have i a right to be annoyed or am i just blowing it out of proportion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I have the exam fear.

careymary wrote: »
    That must have been so scary for you, especially after when you think about alternate endings, well done on keeping calm and putting it out.

I think its awful how most fire stations arent manned outside office hours, i mean I live in galway, if there is a fire at 6.30, you have to wait for the fire men to get to the station , in rush hour traffic, and then yhey hve to get to you, in rush hour traffic! Crazy, thankfully only had to call them once, and that was before 6. AFAIK its still 6 thats their finish time there. Its such a valuable service and they do great work, its again down to a funding thing, which isnt much comfort to anyone if they lost belongings or worse someone in a fire.

Thankfully living in Dublin we have a full fire service, but yeah was just thinking myself that 8am is probably shift change time which could be the reason it took so long.

You do go through all the alternate scenarios don't you. It's hard not to. Makes you realise there's a fine line between being lucky and total disaster.

• Advertisement

Yeah you probably hit an unlucky time of day so, if it normally takes 15 minutes and then at 8am you have lines of traffic with the charming people who don't understand the concept of getting the f out of the way :rolleyes:

It's not "office hours", either stations have full time staff (like Galway city station where there is enough demand and therefore wages to keep them employed full time and they are there all day and all night) or they are manned by retained firefighters in areas where there isn't enough full time employment and therefore not enough money to keep the station manned full time or to pay the firefighters wages. These firefighters would not make any sort of actual decent wage from the fire calls alone, so they HAVE to have other employment to supplement their wage. These people are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. They leave their other jobs, family occasions, Christmas Day, 4am on a freezing icy night, to rush to the station (which they can live no more than 1.5 miles from) to do the job they love, it comes before everything with the exception of illness, deaths and pre requested time off, which is tough to get in itself. They can't go outside a 5 minute radius of the station without asking for time off, that's very limiting in rural Galway towns.

These people would do ANYTHING for their job and for others, many getting injured and some killed to save people's homes, businesses, and often trying to just put out a fire set vindictively, often to lure firefighters with the intent of hurting them.

/Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

so bascially one of the girls needed some help for an exam tomorrow..last night i had to call up to the house with all my stuff and try explain everything even though to be honest i havent a fúcking clue either..did my best and the girl she lived with ended up putting most of her stuff in my bag i didnt realise until later on....

so we said we would meet up today and i went into college and she text me saying she just woke up and i had to meet her somewhere i said meet me somewhere else and she didnt reply...so anyway i leave my stuff in college nearly at the place get a call saying oh could you get the key of my housemate so i had to go back in get the key packed up all my stuff and met her gave her the stuff and walked out i was so annoyed!

on top of this i had 5 different people begging me for help....i am just as clueless as them i havent a clue what to study! i didnt get 5 mins of peace in there at all!

I can see how that would be so frustrating and super annoying, so I don't really think you are blowing it out of proportion. You seem a bit stressed with everyone askin you for help and then running around like that so I think you're right to be annoyed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

These firefighters would not make any sort of actual decent wage from the fire calls alone, so they HAVE to have other employment to supplement their wage. These people are on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. They leave their other jobs, family occasions, Christmas Day, 4am on a freezing icy night, to rush to the station (which they can live no more than 1.5 miles from) to do the job they love, it comes before everything with the exception of illness, deaths and pre requested time off, which is tough to get in itself. They can't go outside a 5 minute radius of the station without asking for time off, that's very limiting in rural Galway towns.

These people would do ANYTHING for their job and for others, many getting injured and some killed to save people's homes, businesses, and often trying to just put out a fire set vindictively, often to lure firefighters with the intent of hurting them.

/Rant over.

I wasnt giving out about firefighters, I really respect and admire them for their work and their commitment to a job I know I could personally never do

At a fire safety training I attended two weeks ago most people had been unaware that there werent fire fighters sitting in a truck waiting waiting to be called out, I think many people dont think about it until they need the service.

Again it was at this training I was told the city station was on a retained service, i must find out for sure, not that it makes any difference but its good to know

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

:eek: Wtf is wrong with people? That is an absolutely scummy thing to do :mad:

Having said that, living near a county boundary can be a pain in the arse when you have a fire, when they can't agree on which fire service to send. It has happened to us twice, the last time this happened my parents ended up extinguishing the fire themselves

RacoonQueen, I'm glad you got the fire out and that it's all ok now, must have given you all a shock though. It's great you had the extinguishers!

I imagine the fake callouts like that are the reason the rest of us have to pay for a call out Acoshla? Assuming they can't identify who makes the false call so that they can be charged for it? If you lose your house and all your belongings the last thing you want to be worried about it paying for the feckin fire brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Of course you have a right to be annoyed. Surely the girl could have been more organised and had the decency to meet you where she had originally said. As for everyone questioning you about the exams and what not, don't think of it as just a bad thing, think of it as clearly you must be the smartest from the bunch of them if they're all asking you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I imagine the fake callouts like that are the reason the rest of us have to pay for a call out Acoshla? Assuming they can't identify who makes the false call so that they can be charged for it? If you lose your house and all your belongings the last thing you want to be worried about it paying for the feckin fire brigade.

Your house insurance should cover it in almost all scenarios afaik. Running a fire service costs an absolute fortune and local government's funding has been slashed in recent years, so unfortunately they had no choice but to introduce charges.

Again it was at this training I was told the city station was on a retained service, i must find out for sure, not that it makes any difference but its good to know

Galway city has both full time firefighters who do shift work and retained ones, as it's a busy station with a large catchment area, rural ones are all retained staff.

Yep, fake calls, calls from mobiles that are then turned off, etc. Halloween is horrible because that's when kids are most likely to set a fire and then throw things, bottles, whatever, at the firefighters who turn up :( Or watching a fire on tv/facebook and knowing the person you love is in it or near it, that's horrible. My aunt was a firefighter in London, I used to be so scared when she'd head into work for a Saturday night and we'd be visiting and minding her 8 month old baby.

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    I can see how that would be so frustrating and super annoying, so I don't really think you are blowing it out of proportion. You seem a bit stressed with everyone askin you for help and then running around like that so I think you're right to be annoyed!

if im being honest im stressed to my imaginary balls!! all of these exams are seriously getting to me and after 2 atrocious ones im ready to give up and have a major melt down! im in the middle of a little one right now! and i actually cant handle it!! :(
    Avox wrote: »
    Of course you have a right to be annoyed. Surely the girl could have been more organised and had the decency to meet you where she had originally said. As for everyone questioning you about the exams and what not, don't think of it as just a bad thing, think of it as clearly you must be the smartest from the bunch of them if they're all asking you. ;)

i have way better things to be doing than running around after her!!!
    and she should be fúckin grateful im the one who has been pulling her through these exams i have a right to be annoyed she doesnt have the fúckin right to ask me what my problem is!! :mad:

Avox..you are right i clearly seem smart i should be flattered! :)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :mad::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

i have way better things to be doing than running around after her!!!
    and she should be fúckin grateful im the one who has been pulling her through these exams i have a right to be annoyed she doesnt have the fúckin right to ask me what my problem is!! :mad:

Avox..you are right i clearly seem smart i should be flattered! :)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :mad::(

Just take a break from studying, you're not going to be able to do much if you're extremely stressed out. Take a walk, watch a tv show, just do something that will relax you and calm your mind down. Then when you feel up to it, head back to study, but don't push yourself too deeply into it. Make a list of whatever you need to do, and how much time you have to do it all, and divide it into sections of time with set details to study, putting breaks in between it all where you can relax. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement