Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to revive the Irish language.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

There's actually a thread about this very issue on the Leaving Cert forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

If a presidential candidate's manifesto* acknowledged that the Irish curriculum needed to be overhauled and included a promise to revise it radically, would you vote for them? **

* Along with other more conventional commitments

** I'm not thinking of running, I'm just interested in getting an idea of whether adults value Irish as a national language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    If a presidential candidate's manifesto* acknowledged that the Irish curriculum needed to be overhauled and included a promise to radically revise it, would you vote for them? **

** I'm not thinking of running, I'm just interested in getting an idea of whether adults value Irish as a national language.
    Maybe the education minister, but then I wouldn't believe they would follow through sure theres a new Art course ready to go for years but it would be too expensive to bring in.

Yeah I would of valued Irish a bit more but it wasn't until the end of Leaving Cert when we had a passionate sub teacher that took half a class to tell us about how people fought for us to speak Irish, and cultural identity and the beauty of it and after that I was engaged and it lifted some of the anxieties about even opening an Irish book,

because until then as far as I could remember Irish was this.. thing that meant we had to go home and write out these strange sentences and learn poems without really knowing what they meant as the authors didn't like putting English translations in and every teacher always seemed angry when teaching it and oh yeah that thing that just seemed like a problem, a puzzle I couldn't figure out and this resulted in me getting given out to week after week by teachers, I look back now and I think how could I hate something so important and interesting, I didn't "get it" and I was cut out of it so that was that if you're not going to learn all these words then that's it, that's all Irish was made for and is used for - filling out comprehensions and tape tests.

Now when it came to French I understood first that French was a language used in this exoitic place that I associated with all these interesting things learnt basic things at 13 and was basically speaking it by 17, with Irish I looked at the pictures early on in school moved out of Dublin at 10 they were at a higher level in 3rd class, got made a show of taken out of class and told to start memorizing more for the tests barely got through that by guessing, junior cert got eyes rolled at me for not knowing the basics so scrapped by further if it was any other subject I would of been told to drop it..

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

There would need to be a total restructure in the educational system,kids in primary schools aren't been taught the language properly,a lot of teachers don't have a high enough standard and passion for the language and this in turn is having a negative impact on the children.Also in terms of the JC/LC exams,the course is completely outdated and needs to be become more relevant,so that people become interested in the language again.Also,I think the Gaeltacht areas in the country aren't been promoted enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    If a presidential candidate's manifesto* acknowledged that the Irish curriculum needed to be overhauled and included a promise to revise it radically, would you vote for them? **

Yes, I'd vote for them provided that part of the radical revision was to stop making Irish compulsory in schools.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Israel introduced Hebrew very successfully just after WWII by making all internal government services available in only Hebrew.
    Ehhhh. Read more history and consider context. With all the Jewish folks coming from all over the world they needed a common language. We don't. We already have one. Sadly it's biggest "crime" is to be called English.
    Remember the Carsberg advert, took the piss out of Irish but was probably the most helpful advert ever to raise the profile of Irish.
    Maybe you missed the irony inherent in said ad?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Pfffff, enough of your limp wristed ideas OP, this is the reason the language is where it is. Chemical castration for any males that fail a second time. We don't need the genes of anybody that fails two Irish exams spreading through the populous.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ehhhh. Read more history and consider context. With all the Jewish folks coming from all over the world they needed a common language. We don't. We already have one. Sadly it's biggest "crime" is to be called English.
    I am fully aware of that aspect of history, they could have just as easily chosen English!
    Maybe you missed the irony inherent in said ad?
    Not at all, but It highlighted the language to the general population in a way that all the "official" methods failed to do due to people "tuning it out".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

harney wrote: »
    Pfffff, enough of your limp wristed ideas OP, this is the reason the language is where it is. Chemical castration for any males that fail a second time. We don't need the genes of anybody that fails two Irish exams spreading through the populous.

Just the males? This has to be all out or it's not worth doing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I am fully aware of that aspect of history, they could have just as easily chosen English!
    They nearly did.
    Not at all, but It highlighted the language to the general population in a way that all the "official" methods failed to do due to people "tuning it out".
    By making it an in joke we all buy into.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17892521
    Learning a second language can boost brain power, scientists believe.
    The US researchers from Northwestern University say bilingualism is a form of brain training - a mental "work out" that fine-tunes the mind.
    Speaking two languages profoundly affects the brain and changes how the nervous system responds to sound, lab tests revealed.
    Experts say the work in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences provides "biological" evidence of this.

Just something for the monoglots to think about! (the second language doesn’t need to be Irish of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm not in favour of the goal but I can certainly tell you how to revive the Irish language to a point where the majority of the population would learn to speak it and use it daily.

It's very, very simple: remove Irish from the education system and ban it's use.

As a people we can't resist rebelling against "the man" and, as such, a large majority of Irish people would respond by "reclaiming" the Irish language.

Those of us with no time for the language would also be happier as we (our our children) would no longer be forced to study it in school or to base our college matriculation on it. And for added bonus points we wouldn't have to listen to the O'Carroll - Kelly's of this world telling us how Fiachra is in the local Gaelscoil whilst Chastity is starting in the Naonra next month and how it's the language that benefits the children's education so greatly rather than their socio-economic background...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

is é sin ach smaoineamh amaideach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

In my opinion, the only way we can possibly revive the Irish language to make it the first language of the people, business and pleasure, is as follows:

All citizens below the age of 30 and above the age of 17 have 5 years to reach an agreed level of fluency.

Each will be assessed through an oral and written exam at the end of those 5 years.

If the candidate does not pass on his/her first exam, they will be given a second chance to pass but at a higher pass mark.

Any candidate who fails the second exam should be stripped of their rights and citizenship and should face a hefty prison sentence.

This may seem autocratic or communist, but in my view its the only way we can revive the language or else it will die out in years to come.

I'd love to hear your opinions on my way of thinking and alternative views on how we should go about reviving the language.

why not just stay part of the great english speaking world.....it is a great advantage in the business world of today.....

and we aleady speak it fluently..............

and when you are cured of your insanity.....you will realise that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I'll make my post as simple as possible: What's my incentive for learning Irish?
    Its treated as no consequence if i learn it or not, bar a few points in an exam.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

It's not onomatopoeic for the age we live in .The Guitar kills it and goes off laughing .
    It's Vocabulary is very limited and other reasons including apathy dictates that it goes to the museum with other languages that are casualties of slick media speak .An eastern gent told me once "We can't do rocknroll songs in my language". Take your favourite tv character and put irish into his gob and every thing gets sick ....Thats all Folks !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

is é sin ach smaoineamh amaideach
    You know that saying an idea is silly (even in a different language) does nothing to challenge the idea. Right?

Or were you just thanks whoring hoping that others that share your fondness for the language would give you a thumbs up for posting in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm not in favour of the goal but I can certainly tell you how to revive the Irish language to a point where the majority of the population would learn to speak it and use it daily.

It's very, very simple: remove Irish from the education system and ban it's use.

As a people we can't resist rebelling against "the man" and, as such, a large majority of Irish people would respond by "reclaiming" the Irish language.

Those of us with no time for the language would also be happier as we (our our children) would no longer be forced to study it in school or to base our college matriculation on it. And for added bonus points we wouldn't have to listen to the O'Carroll - Kelly's of this world telling us how Fiachra is in the local Gaelscoil whilst Chastity is starting in the Naonra next month and how it's the language that benefits the children's education so greatly rather than their socio-economic background...

A few striking misconceptions here, banning a language has never and will never be a step in reviving it, not in Ireland and not anywhere else.

Gaelscoils are not the sole domain of the O'Carroll-Kelly's of this world, and second language immersion education has been shown to be beneficial and yes its because of the language.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

That's it Ban it .Tell us not to do something and we'll do it .

paddyandy wrote: »
    That's it Ban it .Tell us not to do something and we'll do it .

OK, Lets do a small scale test, Don't speak Irish Paddyandy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Just something for the monoglots to think about! (the second language doesn’t need to be Irish of course)
    Grand so we all learn Polish then?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Grand so we all learn Polish then?
    No point, the Poles are only a transient population, they'll either assimilate or return to Poland.

No point, the Poles are only a transient population, they'll either assimilate or return to Poland.
    Tell it to the Ulster Scots. :p

But no seriously these percieved benefits have little to do with the revival of the irish language and are really only a straw man arguement. People have been pushing for Ireland to become bilingual long before these studies came out so I doubt they've influenced the number of gaeilgeoir about. Bottom line is this isn't Oceania, the state can't force people to take up a new language. If Ireland is to be revived it will take a grass roots movement with possibly assistance to speed the movement up but it cannot be spearheaded by the government and nor can we rely totally on children to pick up the slack either. Know what I mean?

Though I should add here the recent ginormous failure that was Bernard Dunne's bród club where the poor guy only got 22% of his target is proof if ever it was needed that no such grass roots aptitude exists.

If Ireland is to be revived it will take a grass roots movement with possibly assistance to speed the movement up but it cannot be spearheaded by the government and nor can we rely totally on children to pick up the slack either. Know what I mean?

Though I should add here the recent ginormous failure that was Bernard Dunne's bród club where the poor guy only got 22% of his target is proof if ever it was needed that no such grass roots aptitude exists.

So what is needed is a grassroots movement? Something that is pushed by people on the ground, a movement that turns out thousands of young confident Irish speakers every year? A movement that has grown and will continue to grow into the future.
    Yeah, it would be great if something like that existed.

So what is needed is a grassroots movement? Something that is pushed by people on the ground, a movement that turns out thousands of young confident Irish speakers every year? A movement that has grown and will continue to grow into the future.
    Yeah, it would be great if something like that existed.
    That's the thing. It doesn't. At least not in the numbers needed, either to revive the language or justify it's special position.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Only way to revive it is to raise kids out in the sticks (in total isolation) speaking purely Irish, then when they're adolescents to murder everyone in Ireland who doesn't speak Irish fluently and have the teens start the population anew.

That's the thing. It doesn't. At least not in the numbers needed, either to revive the language or justify it's special position.

It dose'nt? Have a look around UCD during SnaG and tell me that, Have a look at Oireachtas na Gaeilge every year, or Comortas Peil na Gaeltachta, just because you don't see it every day does not mean it's not there.
    And special Position? What special position, left in portacabins year after year decade after decade in far higher proportion than the rest of the education system?

It dose'nt? Have a look around UCD during SnaG and tell me that, Have a look at Oireachtas na Gaeilge every year, or Comortas Peil na Gaeltachta, just because you don't see it every day does not mean it's not there.
    I live in UCD and I'm telling you it. Yes SnaG happens but it's always the people who would have an interest in it anyway who get involved. It has no mass appeal. During SnaG the vast vast vast majority of students still speak english. Same with these other festivals they have no mass broad appeal and they are failing in their endeavours to attract new speakers.

You know a while back when poor auld Enda was trying to make irish optional a picture was making the rounds on facebook. Originating from the UCD irish society with a caption motivating irish language students to oppose the decision as it would endanger their future career prospects. No word of the language. Says it all really.

I've already mentioned the Bród club where poor Bernard Dunne only managed 22% of his target. And even at that he was only trying to get people to seak a very weak form of irish. Most shocking thing of all if you watch the last episode they try to pass it off as a success! :rolleyes:
    And special Position? What special position, left in year after year decade after decade in far higher proportion than the rest of the education system?
    It's position as the only mandatory subject in school. Not for the good of the language, we need to move away from that thought process. But for the good of the students.

I live in UCD and I'm telling you it. Yes SnaG happens but it's always the people who would have an interest in it anyway who get involved. It has no mass appeal. During SnaG the vast vast vast majority of students still speak english. Same with these other festivals they have no mass broad appeal and they are failing in their endeavours to attract new speakers.

You do realise that the Cumann Gaelach in UCD has grown masively over the last ten years, from just a few hundred members to about 2000 for the last two years.
    Events they run like No Béarla where people sign up to speak Gaeilge Amháin for a Day have been growing every year to the point that they had 800 students taking part in No Béarla this year, and UCD did not even win best Cumann Gaelach this year.

As for Oireachtas, there were more students at it last year than ever before, all of them speaking Irish.

Claiming that they are failing to attract new people is nonsence, the trend across the country for the last few years in Third Level Irish societies has been robust expansion, the vast majority can continue to speak English, that does'nt mean Irish is not growing strongly amongst young people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Ban it.

We'd learn it then.

Advertisement