Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jones V Evans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Evans
    Ush1 wrote: »
    Exactly.

It could be problematic in other ways also for instance a good fighter refusing to be sponsored by the UFC as they are getting offered more money by someone else and try to hold them over a barrel.

Well as far as fights go, they have already invested heavily in the fighters! Them being sponsored doesn't add any significant level of interest for the UFC!

Although I can't disagree with your last comment, that sh*t has happened before. Remember they fired Jon Fitch, and threatened to blacklist the entire AKA team, for refusing to sign up to the UFC video game?

http://www.cagepotato.com/total-horse****-jon-fitch-dropped-from-ufc-over-video-game-licensing/

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

For me he is what Fedor was 7 or 8 years ago.

Would love to see him in there with Anderson

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

shaubbutterfly.gif

lolz

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

lol I wonder can Schaub bounce back from that humiliation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

I felt sorry for Che Mills, it was a huge step up in class for only his second UFC fight. I hope they give him another couple of chances to show what he's capable of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

What do you guys think of the possability of rashad dropping to middlweight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    What do you guys think of the possability of rashad dropping to middlweight?

I am sure that he could easily do it, he's way shorter than the likes of Bisping and it may reignite his career, it's kind of difficult to see a future for him at light heavyweight in terms of challenging for the title again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

quite a lot of candian fighters on the card, obviously getting them a fight before the end of year candian triple bill, guess that why it was a bit of a poor card.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,115 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Evans
    Ush1 wrote: »
    Conflict of interest may arise if the UFC has invested alot in a marketable fighter over a period who may possibly lose. They could make conditions favourable for him.

Not saying this will happen but it's a distinct possibility.
    I disagree.
    First of all, they aren't investing in a fighter, there's no return based on results. It's a billboard, not a racehorse. Each fight is isolated so if he keeps wining they keep paying him, if nike, or underarmour approached Jones tomorrow, he'd wouldn't be wearing UFC gear vrs Hendo.

Secondly, if they gave their clothing sponsored fighter easier fights they are hurting themselves far more than any gain they get from a "streak". PPV sales go down, less people see the advertisement, its less effective - they lose out. And that's not even countign the money lost by promoting a poor fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Jones just looks unbeatable :eek: Seems to be able to handle anyone/anything they throw at him.
    Must say I thought that previously about Tito , Matt Hughes and GSP so we will see how this turns out in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Evans
    Jones just looks unbeatable :eek: Seems to be able to handle anyone/anything they throw at him.
    Must say I thought that previously about Tito , Matt Hughes and GSP so we will see how this turns out in a few years.

Aye he will eventually be sparked Herol Graham style but until then he has solved MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Evans
    I cant see a Hendo plodding around with a cocked right hand get close to him, wont do anything but get picked apart.
    Jones legs are by far his weak spot, dont know why ppl dont take his legs away from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭p to the e

Was wondering this myself as after both Rashad and Rampage Jones came out about his legs being sore after the fight. although neither Rashad nor Rampage would be considered big kickers. Rashad was very inactive in the last round and a half which just increased the confidence of Jones. Easier said than done but Evans really needed to get in close to use those fast hands of his. Maybe we'll see a Machida - Evans rematch.

Che Mills was grossly mismatched with Rory McDonald. Joe Rogan was trying his best to make Che to be better than he was but this wasn't a evenly matched fight at all. Rory is a serious contender and needs a bigger challenge.

Couldn't believe Ben Rothwell is only 30. Seems like he's been around forever. He looked in fantastic shape and would like to see him do well again.

Travis Browne has proved he now deserves a step up in competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

preddy wrote: »
    I cant see a Hendo plodding around with a cocked right hand get close to him, wont do anything but get picked apart.
    Jones legs are by far his weak spot, dont know why ppl dont take his legs away from him.

Long crazy arms allow him to catch leg kicks combined with great wresting and devastating GnP (those elbows are terrifying) has fighters very hesitant to try

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Evans

Hendo only needs 1, Jones was troubled a few times by Evans and Henderson has serious power, I think Jones better get him out early because eventually Hendo will land and Jones will be in Bisping land.

His leg's look thin as he is tall but they're quite thick, Also getting into range to land a good kick leaves you open to counters from his hands, Not saying leg kicks should not be utilised but i don't see them been a major game changer.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Evans
    I'd expect Hendo to try Clinch and dirty box to eliminate Jones' reach, as opposed to seeking the overhand right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Mellor wrote: »
    I disagree.
    First of all, they aren't investing in a fighter, there's no return based on results. It's a billboard, not a racehorse. Each fight is isolated so if he keeps wining they keep paying him, if nike, or underarmour approached Jones tomorrow, he'd wouldn't be wearing UFC gear vrs Hendo.

But of course they are, returns are based on results. Better, high profile fighters are more in the public and the kids will want to wear their walkout gear. Messi because of what a good play is can demand higher fees to wear Addidas because Addidas will sell gear because of people seeing Messi with it.

I'm not sure what you mean by isolated? I assume that would depend on the contract that is signed? If the UFC have Jones tied down to wear their stuff for the next five years they have a vested interest in him.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Secondly, if they gave their clothing sponsored fighter easier fights they are hurting themselves far more than any gain they get from a "streak". PPV sales go down, less people see the advertisement, its less effective - they lose out. And that's not even countign the money lost by promoting a poor fight.

Well that might be the case at the moment as it's a niche sport where fans pay alot of attention. I said it was a possibility, not that the UFC would do it.

As was said it's happened in boxing with can crushers, and I'm sure the UFC wouldn't like fighters refusing their sponsorship if they offered what they would consider a great deal.

Sure look at Kimbo Slice, I'm sure he made alot of money off that type of thing. EliteXC based their promotion around him and sold loads of merchandise off him till he got beat by a can he was supposed to KO.

Loads of my mates who are casual sports fans wouldn't have a clue who Jon Jones is, but they know Kimbo cause they've seen compilations of him knocking out bums. Just saying it can be done with clever marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

I think there is an argument for a conflict of interest here. Afterall, it's the UFC who decides who gets title shots, gets put on the main card and who get's put in main events. This also basically decides who gets to be the focus of media coverage leading up to events. Also fight of the night, knockout of the night and sub of the night bonuses means extra coverage in MMA media which is all good for sponsorship deals.

I'm not arguing that the UFC would ever take advantage of it but that's not the point, the possibility alone equals a conflict of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

Evans
    cowzerp wrote: »
    Hendo only needs 1, Jones was troubled a few times by Evans and Henderson has serious power, I think Jones better get him out early because eventually Hendo will land and Jones will be in Bisping land

A lot of people seem to think Hendo walks around with some kind Thor Hammer attached to his right arm, I've him land a lot of clean "H bombs" and by no means do they always go down. With Hendos height and reach compared to Jones, I think he is gonna have an awful time landing anything, especially when Jones will spend the next few months preparing for this type of offence

Evans
    O.P.H wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to think Hendo walks around with some kind Thor Hammer attached to his right arm, I've him land a lot of clean "H bombs" and by no means do they always go down. With Hendos height and reach compared to Jones, I think he is gonna have an awful time landing anything, especially when Jones will spend the next few months preparing for this type of offence

Yeah but sometimes they do!

dan-henderson-knocking-out-michael-bisping.gif

(Sorry, that was just an excuse to post this again, it's so so so sweet!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

His leg's look thin as he is tall but they're quite thick,

You can't be 6'4 220lbs with quite thick legs, it doesnt add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Evans
    Hendo only needs 1, Jones was troubled a few times by Evans and Henderson has serious power, I think Jones better get him out early because eventually Hendo will land and Jones will be in Bisping land.

Yea but look at the difference in the 2 Shogun fights Jones destroyed him, Hendo took and landed loads and no KO.
    Hendo just looked slow to me, but with that punchers chance.

Any chance of anyone else getting down to 205 from HW ?

Evans
    Yea but look at the difference in the 2 Shogun fights Jones destroyed him, Hendo took and landed loads and no KO.
    Hendo just looked slow to me, but with that punchers chance.

Roy Nelson :P

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Honestly I think to take out Jones, you need someone with a lot of mobility. Someone who can move explosively and fast enough to counter-act the reach advantage. They also need very solid wrestling and clinch work, because getting caught in a clinch with Jones seems to get ugly very quickly. I can't really think of any current LHW fighters that are that mobile and explosive though, especially since Shogun has slowed down so much.
    What we really need is a LHW sized clone of Jose Aldo. Uber-Aldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Evans
    See the scary thing (for fighters, I've admired Jones since he was on prelims so this is great for me) is, I think even the few weaknesses we pinpoint are overblown.

He seems to be like Anderson in that, at the start of each fight, you'd be forgiven for thinking that he and his opponent are on equal standards, even that there's nothing special to Jones. I'd give the first of his past two fights to Machida and Rashad, for example.

But that just appears to be him figuring out his opponent. Then come round 2 onwards he absolutely dominates, again ala Anderson. So what can we analyse? You might hit him early but won't get a great shot at it and he'll still be fresh so can likely withstand it. You've little to no chance of taking him down. And you're rendered pretty much redundant as soon as he figured out your gameplan, strengths and weaknesses. So there's really no clear road map to beat him except 'land a lucky punch' or 'pray that he randomly forgets how to fight or gets himself disqualified'.

Evans
    anyone else?
    Who was the first. Hendo isn't a HW. Any current HW that could cut would be insane to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Evans
    I'm really unimpressed with Rashad's game. The only time I've been close to impressed with his performance was the start of the Rampage bout, and that was because I expected Rampage to be more aggressive out of the gate and put him on the back foot but it went the other way, all credit to him for that. I don't really see how dropping to 185 is going to help him, if anything he'll be more exposed for relying on the clinch and long term is probably less likely to win a title there than at 205 (not that he has a chance at the higher weight either).

Evans
    Payouts
    The full list of paydays from the 12-bout card included:

Champ Jon Jones: $400,000 (no win bonus)
    def. Rashad Evans: $300,000

Rory MacDonald: $36,000 (includes $18,000 win bonus)
    def. Che Mills: $8,000

Ben Rothwell: $104,000 (includes $52,000 win bonus)
    def. Brendan Schaub: $14,000

Michael McDonald: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
    def. Miguel Torres: $32,000

Eddie Yagin: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus)
    def. Mark Hominick: $17,000

Mark Bocek: $46,000 (includes $23,000 win bonus)
    def. John Alessio: $10,000

Travis Browne: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus)
    def. Chad Griggs: $27,000

Matt Brown: $36,000 (includes $18,000 win bonus)
    def. Stephen Thompson: $8,000

Anthony Njokuani: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus)
    def. John Makdessi: $12,000

Mac Danzig: $54,000 (includes $27,000 win bonus)
    def. Efrain Escudero: $10,000

Chris Clements: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus)
    def. Keith Wisniewski: $10,000

Marcus Brimage: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
    def. Maximo Blanco: $13,000

Great to see Jones already making the big money. There have been times when champs building up their profile and reign haven't been making the money they should have.

Very surprised by Big Ben's money. No wonder he was seen to have been fighting for his job!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Evans
    Che Mills gets 8k for the co-main event?

Sick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Evans
    Che Mills gets 8k for the co-main event?

Sick.

Only 2 fighters on the card (1 main, 1 under) would have earned less if they didn't have their $6k win bonus, the disparity between some of the payouts, despite the differing factors (draw of the fight, length of time in the UFC etc..) is annoying imo.

Advertisement